PDA

View Full Version : Best Uni's for fencing clubs

madfencer
-10th January 2006, 10:14
Hi all! :)

I know its not my time quite yet and I don't even know if I am going to Uni yet but I was just wondering what Uni's have good fencing clubs. As you know I do all 3 weapons although prefer foil and epee by far so don't mind not doing sabre :grin:

The Uni's with good clubs that ive heard of are:

MUFC
DUFC
London Polytechnic?

...not many eh.

Cheers,

(please list uni's that are good and pleased try not to be too biased ;) )

madfencer

randomsabreur
-10th January 2006, 10:19
Go on the BUSA website (someone else please supply link) and go to the fencing pages then there is a collection of uni details.

Also see previous threads on this topic

R

Adler
-10th January 2006, 10:58
I think Cov uni will produce some decent fencers and results.
From what i've heard the training available now is quite impressive; training 3 nights a week, regular fencing days, coach training sessions and underwater footwork training.

madfencer
-10th January 2006, 11:17
Sorry forgot to do the search on this topic as I was in a rush as had a lesson...didnt realise it had been discussed before...thought it would displayed in University Fencing. :dizzy: sorry!

Thank you for all your replies! Will try to get on that BUSA website now! :)

Underwater footwork at Coventry Uni...thats a tad weird lol :rolleyes: suppose it must be useful in some way though!

strawberry
-10th January 2006, 11:20
Aberystwyth! Not that I'm at all biased :grin:
Have a look at the busa website and see how well various university clubs do, seems to be a pretty good indicator of how successful the club is.

nessyfencer
-10th January 2006, 14:46
Originally posted by madfencer
Hi all! :)

I know its not my time quite yet and I don't even know if I am going to Uni yet but I was just wondering what Uni's have good fencing clubs. As you know I do all 3 weapons although prefer foil and epee by far so don't mind not doing sabre :grin:

The Uni's with good clubs that ive heard of are:

MUFC
DUFC
London Polytechnic?

...not many eh.

Cheers,

(please list uni's that are good and pleased try not to be too biased ;) )

madfencer

Come to Aberdeen!!! :)

gbm
-10th January 2006, 14:57
A Uni ideally placed for a student from the Channel islands... :rolleyes: :tongue: :rolleyes:

Rdb811
-10th January 2006, 16:13
Originally posted by madfencer
:

MUFC
DUFC
London Polytechnic?

The Polytechnic Club is nothing to do with any educational institution (it's a standard club) - it was just set up in the original Polytechnic (which was more of a night school than a higher education establisment as we know polytechnics today) which eventually became University of Westminister.

As far as I can tell, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, King's, Imperial and UCL (and the central London Union) are good for fencing - unfortunatley they're the hardest to get in.

haggis
-10th January 2006, 16:28
Could add Northumbria and Edinburgh.

Skartha
-10th January 2006, 19:06
I'm inclined to say QMUC (where I am) - though we're a very small club. We were the top Uni club in Scotland a few years back though.

In terms of ability, I can say that Aberdeen and St Andrews have pretty strong teams from fencing them at the BUSA competition in October. Edinburgh also have an excellent reputation from what I've heard.

Another fencer
-10th January 2006, 20:23
The clubs that are good today - on the men's side anyway:

Scotland: St Andrews, Edinburgh
North: Birmingham, Nottingham, Durham
South: Cambridge, Bristol, Oxford, Royal Holloway, Imperial, Bath

See www.busa.org.uk and go to fixtures - fencing - the leagues make it clear who is doing well and who not. But these change year by year, so this info probably isnt that useful.

Universities with consistently good clubs:

Edinburgh, Durham, Northumbria, Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL (and apologies to anyone who feels left out)

(I suspect this is due to high proportion of public school entrants in these places, as well as lots of overachieving foreigners.)

Note that this does not necessarily equate to good coaching or adequate funding from the AU/Sports Fed - Oxford has good coaching and reasonable levels of support, but cant speak for any of the other places. One example of where support counts is in the purchase of new timing boxes - Oxford has three as well as lots of old timing boxes for the epeeists to play with.

Coaching and the standard of local clubs is excellent in and around London and Durham/Newcastle and Bristol/Bath. Also true of various other major cities depending on weapon. Something to bear in mind when choosing a club.

Junkie
-10th January 2006, 22:03
BUSA results are an indicator of how strong a uni is for fencing but they can be misleading, teams ascend and descend on a yearly basis and a few good fencers arriving or leaving can skew results. Most of the top BUSA teams are made up of people who arrived at uni as good fencers and may not regularly train at the uni club so the quality of the unis team does not necessarily correlate with the strength of the club.

My advice would be to check out the webpages of clubs (a quick google search of X university fencing club should generate the club page if they have one). The content of a club webpage gives a good indication of how enthusiastic and well organised the club is along with the number of training sessions the club runs each week.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Edinburgh Uni, a well run club with some very strong fencers, a lot of decent ones and some excellent coaches.

Phil_Abel
-10th January 2006, 22:26
Manchester's club is quite good, I'm not sure how successful it is as i'm not allowed to fence for them as i'm at Salford uni.

I'd still rather fence back home though.

Rdb811
-10th January 2006, 23:45
I've heard of one Uni where the coach gave the team a lesson the week before a match. Their first lesson ...:o:

D'Artignan
-10th January 2006, 23:46
Originally posted by Rdb811
I've heard of one Uni where the coach gave the team a lesson the week before a match. Their first lesson ...:o: was that Dundee?:confused:

and when were QMUC the top Uni club? It's always been Edinburgh and St Andrews since I've been a student. And that's a bloody long time!:(

Prometheus
-10th January 2006, 23:47
Madfencer, ones in Germany or France? lol

Hope you're not basing your higher education only around fencing......

I did and look what happened to me!

Aer
-11th January 2006, 07:09
Originally posted by D'Artignan
was that Dundee?:confused:

and when were QMUC the top Uni club? It's always been Edinburgh and St Andrews since I've been a student. And that's a bloody long time!:(

should be interesting with BUSA knockouts this year - but with the St Andrews B team now it actually means I might get another team match (got to talk to dundee about a friendly)

madfencer
-11th January 2006, 07:34
well the Uni's that ive looked at that seem good for the courses that i'm doing and the course I want to study at Uni (marine biology) are Swansea and Newcastle. will look at some more now :)

Dragonfly
-11th January 2006, 11:10
Have you checked Sussex Uni out? I'm pretty sure we do the course you're looking in to. The club... it can't be any worse. We're gradually getting in into better shape. More boxes are coming in, and some are being designed currently <watch this space >. If you're mobile then there's another 5 (?) clubs in the local area catering for every weapon. The club generally has 30-45 people signed up, but only 20-30 show each week. Main weapon is foil, being taught by Angela Goodall, epeeists just get on with it and there's a Sabre coach from the uni of Brighton across the road that'll give lessons. So, by all accounts, every sword is catered for...
Main problem *is* boxes though. We have 1 old timing, 2 from the coach on new timings and 1 being ordered AFAIK.

Rdb811
-11th January 2006, 11:26
Very nice setting and facilities - I've been couple of times for Angela's courses. Sahme about the football stadium - Prescot really is a thuggish idiot hell bent on concreting over anywhere nice in teh South east.

madfencer
-11th January 2006, 12:20
Originally posted by Dragonfly
Have you checked Sussex Uni out? I'm pretty sure we do the course you're looking in to. The club... it can't be any worse. We're gradually getting in into better shape. More boxes are coming in, and some are being designed currently <watch this space >. If you're mobile then there's another 5 (?) clubs in the local area catering for every weapon. The club generally has 30-45 people signed up, but only 20-30 show each week. Main weapon is foil, being taught by Angela Goodall, epeeists just get on with it and there's a Sabre coach from the uni of Brighton across the road that'll give lessons. So, by all accounts, every sword is catered for...
Main problem *is* boxes though. We have 1 old timing, 2 from the coach on new timings and 1 being ordered AFAIK.

hmm...have just looked at the website...doesnt appear to do Marine Biology :dizzy:

Skartha
-11th January 2006, 12:50
Originally posted by D'Artignan

Our coach was saying that we came top in Scotland a few years ago when Bert Bracewell was our coach (he's moved on though. Met him briefly at the Scottish Open).

He may, of course, have been lying in an attempt to get me to join ;)

madfencer
-11th January 2006, 13:16
hmm am actually considering doing Criminal Justice with Sociology at Portsmouth University. Seems good and seeing as I want to be in the police could be good. :) Does it have a good fencing club? Not too far from the Channel Islands either ;) unlike some you mentioned. Am going to have a look at Warwick now but I think i'm too dim for that lol.

rory
-11th January 2006, 14:18
QMUC as top club? Love to see some evidence.

To be honest, you should be considering fencing as secondary to your studies unless you're at a *very* high level.
Look for a uni with the right course, in a nice place.

There's very-high-standard fencing in Manchester, Newcastle, London and Edinburgh. If fencing's important, pick a uni close to one of these places. University fencing clubs only rarely support a large enough pool of fencers to train well, you need good local clubs too.

D'Artignan
-11th January 2006, 14:39
Originally posted by rory
QMUC as top club? Love to see some evidence.
Shouldn't that be "Love to see some credible evidence"?

pigeonmeister
-11th January 2006, 15:02
As far as I can tell, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, King's, Imperial and UCL (and the central London Union) are good for fencing - unfortunatley they're the hardest to get in.

This is my third season in BUSA and I can tell you that the best overall teams in the country are Bristol, Cambridge, Nottingham, Birmingham, Durham, Imperial, St Andrews and Oxford. All have excellent teams. Any of these team most likely to win BUSA it would probably be Durham or Bath for the women- but Birmingham could be very close as well. In the men's- Cambridge have won it for the last 5 years but it could be any of about 5 or 6 this year- I doubt it will be Cambridge again.

For Sabre coaching you have Lazlo Jakab at Durham and Peter Kirby at Birmingham- both very respected. Coventry have Peter Rome-- a protege of Kirby and an excellent coach. Northumbria, Bristol and Nottingham have the best sabre teams in my opinion. Bristol have Nelis and T Brenda and are probably the strongest sabre team at the moment.

As a biased Brummie I would say Birmingham has an excellent team in mens and womens. Men are top (just!) of Premiership North, Women totaly dominating Midland league. As a Uni Birmingham and Durham had the equal highest number of fencers achieving a L16 or more in the BUSA individuals in December. Our men's team were runners up in overall BUSA cup last year. We have only lost 2 matches in 3 seasons (1 in the grand final). Our foil team has not lost a match in 3 seasons. And we lose no fencers next year- indeed we already know that we will gain an excellent sabeur (Gangsta G) and return a Commonwealth standard Epeeist (Simon Marks). The womens team have European champs and junior A grade standard fencers. Birmingham is officially the third best university for sport in the UK (after the uncatchable Bath and Loughborough) and fencing has been made a focus sport- so we have more money and kit then ever. Our coach has taken Louise Bond Williams to the Olympics. Its not a bad university either! Also Birmingham is probably the best location for attending Opens. The Bristol, Welsh, Nationals, and Leicester are all within 1 or 2 hours away and the Birmingham International is on campus. Hereford and Worcester, Shropshire and Nottingham all very close as well.

Enough! (sorry for those who have heard my 'come to Birmingham' rant- it is my job though!)

(EDIT) Oh god- I've just seen that you want to do Marine Biology!!!!!!!
Birmingham not the best choice then- sorry for being dumb!

Gav
-11th January 2006, 15:07
St Andrews have one of the best teams in BUSA? That's just ... wierd.

Piston Broke
-11th January 2006, 15:58
You wouldn't want to go there though would you Gav. Unless your name was something like Cornelius Partridge-Smythe, had plums in you mouth and owned a porsche.

D'Artignan
-11th January 2006, 16:02
Originally posted by Piston Broke
You wouldn't want to go there though would you Gav. Unless your name was something like Cornelius Partridge-Smythe, had plums in you mouth and owned a porsche. but you also have to speak German to get in the team. Allegedly:confused:

pigeonmeister
-11th January 2006, 16:08
Originally posted by Gav
St Andrews have one of the best teams in BUSA? That's just ... wierd.

They creamed the Scottish league and came 3rd in BUSA cup last year. To be honest I felt I had to include a Scottish team- and Edinburgh are not very strong at the moment. I think that any of the 7 other mens teams I mentioned would beat St Andrews (stand by for St Andrew to knock us out now!)

Gav
-11th January 2006, 16:18
Originally posted by Piston Broke
You wouldn't want to go there though would you Gav. Unless your name was something like Cornelius Partridge-Smythe, had plums in you mouth and owned a porsche.

I think attending a community high school in Livingston is an automatic bar. "Imagine a prole wanting to ... fence... whatever next?"

Rdb811
-11th January 2006, 16:23

Look for a uni with the right course, in a nice place.

Go for the right University first, then worry about the course.

Gav
-11th January 2006, 16:27
Go for the right University first, then worry about the course.

That's rubbish ... unless you went to the right school and/or your family have the right connections. If that's the case you have pots of money and this conversation is pointless.

Go for the right course. Which university is best depends on your chosen discipline. In the 'trade' you choose one uni' will have a better reputation than another and it's not always as obvious as you might think.

pigeonmeister
-11th January 2006, 16:46
Originally posted by Gav
That's rubbish ... unless you went to the right school and/or your family have the right connections. If that's the case you have pots of money and this conversation is pointless.

To some extent perhaps. In that a upper middle class 'toff' will say Oxbridge as choice 1. If can't get there they will think Durham, if they want to go to Scotland it will be St Andrews. The other acceptables would be Newcastle, Bristol, Imperial and LSE. St Georges Hospital if you want to do medicine.

In 2003 St Andrews University had the poorest record for recruiting undergraduates from state schools of any uni.

I would choose largely on the reputation of the specefic department you wish to study in, combined with serious consideration of where you want to live for 3 years.

Rdb811
-11th January 2006, 16:48
Originally posted by Gav

Go for the right course. Which university is best depends on your chosen discipline. In the 'trade' you choose one uni' will have a better reputation than another and it's not always as obvious as you might think.

Not in my experience - and I certainly didn't go to the right school and my degree has nothing to do with my career - as is the case for many professions. In any event I intended to convey the meaning "right for you" rather than "right sort".

Pointless
-11th January 2006, 19:49
I've heard of one Uni where the coach gave the team a lesson the week before a match. Their first lesson ...:o:

I started sabre on the Tuesday, and fenced it at the BUSA thingy in Edinburgh on the Saturday :D

D'Artignan
-11th January 2006, 20:57
when I was at Heriot-Watt (back in the days when Watt was still alive), we had a lassie who only came up with us cos she wanted to visit her parents and one of her mates was fencing. she blagged a lift up, and ended up fencing when someone else fell ill. she got a two minute lesson before fencing in the teams thingy. they came 3rd.:dizzy:

Phil_Abel
-11th January 2006, 21:48
I'd most certainly say pick your course rather than the university.

Not liking the university isn't as bad as paying 1175 a year to be on a course you hate.

Rdb811
-11th January 2006, 23:35
Originally posted by Phil_Abel
I'd most certainly say pick your course rather than the university.

Not liking the university isn't as bad as paying 1175 a year to be on a course you hate.

The problem is that you won't know what a course entails until you actually do it - the content of my degree was competely different to what I studied at A Level and I wasn't enthused by large chunks of it.

Junkie
-12th January 2006, 10:03
If you pick a large University with a good reputation all round then if you find you dislike your course you can change fairly easily.

madfencer
-12th January 2006, 11:35
thanks for your advice guys, im sure itll be a great help when my time comes! :D am hoping to retake my maths gcse so I can hopefully get into the marine biology course at newcastle but i havent decided whether to go to uni yet...as i want to be in the police i might just enrol after school and go to police training college if i get in. :) dunno.

Adler
-12th January 2006, 11:43
You could always bring a biology book to the underwater footwork sessions in coventry.
I'm not sure if that would count as truly "Marine biology" but your footwork would be great.;)

pigeonmeister
-12th January 2006, 12:39
Can you tell me more about this underwater footwork training. It sounds an excellent idea!

rory
-12th January 2006, 13:11
Is the best Uni for fencing necessarily the strongest one in BUSA?

Personally I don't think so. The best Uni for fencing has to be one at which you can get the best coaching and training partners, consistently during your course - whether from the Uni club or from a club in the surrounding area.

Thus Edinburgh, while not strong in BUSA at the moment, is waaay better for foil fencing than (eg) Northumbria - you can train at EFC.

Personally I'd pick Edinburgh/Manchester/London over Northumbria/Durham/Birmingham/Bristol, but bear in mind I'm talking foil here.

pigeonmeister
-12th January 2006, 14:05
Is the best Uni for fencing necessarily the strongest one in BUSA?

Personally I don't think so. The best Uni for fencing has to be one at which you can get the best coaching and training partners, consistently during your course - whether from the Uni club or from a club in the surrounding area.

Thus Edinburgh, while not strong in BUSA at the moment, is waaay better for foil fencing than (eg) Northumbria - you can train at EFC.

Personally I'd pick Edinburgh/Manchester/London over Northumbria/Durham/Birmingham/Bristol, but bear in mind I'm talking foil here.

Quite agree Rory. Except if you are in a premiership team, then it helps because you are fencing very good teams every week. In terms of coaching and training partners you are right too- Birmingham also has quite a few very good non uni fencers who train with us- people like Sam Stockley and Ryhs Melia. I know that Boo Boo trains with either Bristol or Bath uni and Durham has the Lazlo fencers. So people should be aware of other non uni fencing resources attached to the uni they choose. Its no use having Rosowsky, Kenber, Brodie, Halsted or Barnett at the uni if they don't train with the team (which they nearly always don't)

You are right about Northumbria being a sabre team, and not that much use for a foilist. But Edinburgh Uni foil team lost to us even before we had Phil West and they only got one L32 and no L64's in the BUSA MF. They are more of an epee team I think. Manchester have no real foil team after Corin left, but obviously have Jon Bradley (who does train with the team) UCL and Oxford probably have the strongest MF teams (with M Barnett and Y Rosowsky at UCL and Kenber at Oxford) but we are stil unbeaten!

Skartha
-12th January 2006, 14:41
Perhaps he/I was mistaken, or I misinterpreted or something *shrug* I know we did have some kind of fencing success a few years ago, can't find any exact details on BUSA's site or anything though.

Anyway, we're a small club with a lot of beginners at the moment. Edinburgh and St Andrews are certainly pretty strong, and I was also impressed by Aberdeen.

I would also say, from an academic point of view the course is far more important than the Uni - different places have different reputations for different areas - for example, Dundee are highly rated for medicine-related courses, while Glasgow are highly rated for History (to name but a couple). Many places are more specialised (QM is mainly health and performance arts courses-oriented, for example). It's really all down to the career you're looking for.

Good sports club help too, though. Part (very small part, obviously) of the reason I chose QM was because we have a squash court! :D

Adler
-12th January 2006, 14:48
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
Can you tell me more about this underwater footwork training. It sounds an excellent idea!

Unfortunately i haven't had the oppurtunity to try it out or see it in action, but as far as i understand it there are two main reason for using underwater training.

The first is the it promotes correct technical execution of your footwork beacuse of water resistance and bouyancy incorrect footwork will lead to you floating to the surface.

Secondly the psychological/ Physiological affects on the fencers body is similar to that of a major competition.(possibly that sinking feeling when you realise you've drawn Kruse in the DE :tongue: )

I believe Lazlo Szepesi did something similar for the French Sabre team which is probably where Pete got the idea from.

Once i know more i'll write a more detailed report.

pigeonmeister
-12th January 2006, 14:53
Originally posted by Adler
Unfortunately i haven't had the oppurtunity to try it out or see it in action, but as far as i understand it there are two main reason for using underwater training.

The first is the it promotes correct technical execution of your footwork beacuse of water resistance and bouyancy incorrect footwork will lead to you floating to the surface.

Secondly the psychological/ Physiological affects on the fencers body is similar to that of a major competition.(possibly that sinking feeling when you realise you've drawn Kruse in the DE :tongue: )

I believe Lazlo Szepesi did something similar for the French Sabre team which is probably where Pete got the idea from.

Once i know more i'll write a more detailed report.

Sounds really interesting, I certainly know that sinking feeling!

It's just a case of making sure you're the only one in the pool when you're cross stepping across the shallow end!:o:

keep me informed, I know Pete is a great coach.

SuburbanMyth
-12th January 2006, 19:54
Am going to have a look at Warwick now
Slightly belated reply, perhaps, but MadFencer, if you're interested in Warwick, I'd definitely recommend it as a Uni (even if we do have an elusive Vice-Chancellor who appears to have a dastardly plan to ship half of us off to Singapore :confused: ). Don't think it has a specific marine biology course, though, if that's what you're going for...we do have a lot of ducks, however!

Shaolin Monkey
-23rd January 2006, 12:47
Madfencer, if you are still considering newcastle, from the people I know on the course, the marine biology course appears to be quite good (i know nothing about the course myself, but the people doing it seem happy) , and the fencing club seems to be back on the up, we are now very organised with our own competition looking like it could do well in its first year, and plenty of training nights and socials (usually down the pub on sundays and wednesdays). All fencers of whatever standard are thoroughly welcomed. If you need any info about the club, PM me.

Taero
-24th January 2006, 16:09
Well if you're looking for a good university with a good fencing club then I can heartly recommend the University of Hull. We're not an especially large club but if you look at the BUSA website around the BUSA Fencing - Northern Conference Men's 1B 2005/06 table you can see that our team is first. Simply this is because we're awesome ;) Plus I'm there, not on the team but that doesn't count.

I gather you're interested in the Marine Biology course as well? Well I have a friend whose on it and she's enjoying it immensely. Add to that "The Deep" which for those who dont know is the largest submarium in the country and you'd be having some field/classwork there.

Our campus is compact and friendly(Hell we even won awards for being friendly ^_^), the people too and anyone who tells you Hull is a bad place to live is sorely mistaken, I was under that impression before I arrived and nothing could be further from the truth. Its not that expensive, it has a huge city and as many clubs as you could shake a stick at...not that I seem to go out much...strange that ^^ Anyway I digress.

The university itself also has a huge amount of clubs to choose from, I'm in the Hull Anime Institute (clever play on HAI for those who noticed ;)

Oh and we also have our own nightclub on the campus as well with the a brilliant sound system, the largest Audio Visual screen there is (I think) and a bar that has about 12 staff just to man it as its that big.

Send me a message if you're interested and if you do end up coming here let me know and I'll give you a match but god help you if you dare take my tournament ladder place :P

Libby
-31st January 2006, 10:42
All good inter university banter, v nice!

If you want to add your uni fencing club to the list on the BUSA website then there should be forms up there for you to fill in, would be great to get some more up there. If you are having problems then PM me and I should be able to sort it out :-)

Cheers

Aidan
-2nd February 2006, 12:08
If it's Marine Biology you are after - Bangor is the place to go. It's even got an ocean-going research vessel which you have to work on as part of the course.

The fencing team is up and down - we used to be really quite good. Then I left (joke) - actually, I don't see Bangor fencers anywhere these days.

I'm at Wolverhampton now (PhD - it never ends) - if you fail your A-levels, come here! I can't claim any stunning fencing prowess (though we had a 5th place BUSA epee a year ago - but he fenced for the Czechs at teh Junior Worlds and was only here for one semester). We do have a certain ramshackle charm though . . . if only we could persuade people not to fail their exams and drop out!

Aidan

Twohat
-9th February 2006, 21:04
Moppet is looking at Swansea and Glasgow for Zoology - both have a lot to offer. Which would be best from a fencing point of view? Anyone at either place have an opinion?

Junkie
-9th February 2006, 22:07
Glasgow Uni don't have a huge fencing club but do have a few decent fencers , Glasgow West End are the best club in Glasgow as far as I know and have a few good fencers and coaches.

Scottish student fencing is a good laugh, it has its own competitons in addition to BUSA which are mostly well organised and fun.

rory
-10th February 2006, 08:54
I went to Glasgow Uni, as did my fiance.

The fencing club is actually quite large (~40 members on average), though mainly beginners. At the start of the year thre can easily be 50-60 people turning up - bigger than most clubs!
There are typically a few higher-standard foreigners kicking around at any given time as well.

When I was there we were one of the 2 strongest uni clubs in Scotland, and our ladies were 3rd in the BUSA Champs one year.

My only criticism is that if you want to train hard, you will have to put extra work in - there's not much framework for competitive success, although if you're of a sufficient standard the Uni will give you cash for travel etc.

Glasgow West End is a good intermediate club, again quite large, around the 30-40 mark I think. Strongest weapons are foil and epee.

"katie" on the forum here is a member of the Glasgow West End committee, and will, I'm certain, respond to a PM.

Excellent coaching is available from David Rollo at both clubs - Dave's a former Scottish Team coach and teaches mainly epee and foil.

Also, Edinburgh is only a 45 min train ride away, and then 20 mins on the bus to get to EFC, the strongest club for any weapon in Scotland.
I used to travel through regularly, even as a student with no car, and I'd highly recommend it.
You might be able to get a lift with the various other Glaswegians who travel through.

My gut feeling is that fencing wise, you're better off at Glasgow than Swansea.

Glasgow's also a lovely city, with loads to do and see, and the Uni's got 2 excellent Unions, one of which (the Queen Margaret Union) regularly hosts gigs by big artists.

Skartha
-10th February 2006, 14:36
I fenced a couple of Glasgwegians at the Student Beginners at the weekend. They were pretty good, too, so my impression is of good coaching. That said, thought one of the Glasgow guys I talked to at the foil comp said that they only trained once a week (we train twice a week at QM and I know other places train more often - lucky gets). I may have been mistaken in some way, though, but I thought that was what he said.

Lynne
-13th February 2006, 10:51
Swansea Uni have a friendly, keen fencing club. One MF and one WF team attended the Welsh Team Foil yesterday. Neither won - Pembroke won MF and Cardiff won WF (sporting a German ringer!) Best fight I had all day, despite the bruises!

Gwent Sword took both silvers btw!

MatFink
-13th February 2006, 14:09
I definitely remember reading a rule that says you MUST be affiliated to Welsh Fencing to compete in Welsh competitions.

Welsh Closed here I come!!!!

Well done Pembroke boys, and well done Gwent. I bet the mens final was interesting!!!

MatFink
-13th February 2006, 14:11
Northumbria must be considered to be one of the strongest universities for fencing.

Boo Boo
-13th February 2006, 14:42
Originally posted by Twohat
Moppet is looking at Swansea and Glasgow for Zoology - both have a lot to offer. Which would be best from a fencing point of view? Anyone at either place have an opinion?

Is Moppet also considering Bristol Uni?

They certainly offer Zoology - I know a fencer (foilist) who is in her second year studying it...

It is also a great university in a well located city - Moppet would have a great student life there.

Although I don't see many of the epeeists there (I train there on a different day), I believe that they have some good ones there (although I guess that would change from year to year) and the university fencing club is one of the friendliest and fun I have had contact with - really nice group of people and very well organised.

Bristol University also has great sports facilities and is very supportive of competitive sports people. The university gives a number of sports bursaries - http://www.bris.ac.uk/sport/high-performance/scholarships.html

A number of the Bristol University fencers tend to come over th Bath Swords on a Thursday evening (which is VERY strong for epee) - am sure that Moppet could do that too (get a lift or something).

Boo

silvercross
-13th February 2006, 14:44
Curses!

Here I miss out on University fencing banter yet again!

Just so that us NW fencers aren't left out (well, NW fencers not attending Manchester) what about Liverpool Uni?

It has a Marine Bio programme (methinks), and we're relatively decent fencers (at least I think I am).

But I agree with the concensus of 'look for a uni that you like overall, not just because of one single factor'. If it has the right atmosphere socially, academically, and has a good fencing club to boot, then that is fantastic! I personally think I made the right choice, as I'd imagine everyone else in the forum will say about their unis.

So look at everything you want to gain from the University, and make the choice (Liverpool! :tongue: )

pigeonmeister
-14th February 2006, 08:57
Originally posted by MatFink
Northumbria must be considered to be one of the strongest universities for fencing.

For sabre- maybe. They only came 4/5 in Northern premiership, which isn't quite as strong as the southern premiership either. I can't remember if J Thornton and J Melia are going to Loughborough or Northumbria. If its Northumbria then they will have a seriously kick ass team- but they will need at least one foilist maybe (they havn't had one for 3 years). Also they might lose either David Jackson, Pete Kirby or Dave Allen next year.

pinkelephant
-14th February 2006, 09:12
JT is going to Northumbria.

randomsabreur
-14th February 2006, 09:18
JT will be a dangerous foilist at BUSA level - hasn't he made finals at H&W before now?

pinkelephant
-14th February 2006, 09:29
3rd in 2004. L16 in 2005.

Have you seen him with a sabre?

MatFink
-14th February 2006, 09:54
Besides Jamie M also has medals at foil

pigeonmeister
-14th February 2006, 16:04
Don't get me wrong Mr Haynes:tongue:
I reckon that he will be a very dangerous foilist indeed! Jamie Melia will obvoiusly be tough to beat as well.

You can win overall BUSA if you have 2 dominating weapons (bleeding obvious I know). For Cambridge it was epee and sabre. Northumbria wont have the best sabre (unless Jacko is a medic or does a post grad) or foil team by quite a way next year, but easily the best epee team in the UK.

If Jacko stays though, then I think they will have to abilty to dominate 2 weapons and then they could go all the way.

Illandra
-19th February 2006, 11:09
With regards to the Swansea/Glasgow thing im currently in 1st year biology (all biologists start on pretty much the same course) the uni has a great atmosphere as does the fencing club though im not in much of a position to comment on the teams (never picked up a blade in my life before getting here)

PM1
-20th February 2006, 22:18
...And R L-J is going to Northumbria too....;) He's only tinkering around this season....:tongue:

MatFink
-20th February 2006, 23:02
But seriously thats scary at epee and foil. Jimmy, Jamie, and L J

PM1
-20th February 2006, 23:20
...more than just BUSA...I'd say Newcastle needs to watch out....:o:

pigeonmeister
-21st February 2006, 08:23
Who is LJ?

MatFink
-21st February 2006, 09:27
Richard Lloyd-Jones

Pretty Good Foilist, Great Epeeist, and a pretty useful rugby player to boot I am led to believe.

He made the final last weekend having not fenced for months.

It was pretty impressive to watch, reminded me of Sam S when he started back in earnest.

Tarmac
-24th February 2006, 22:07
Been offered a place at Manchester Met this september. :party:

Do they fence with Manchester Uni?

Dave Hillier
-25th February 2006, 13:05
IIRC they are part of an amalgamated manchester unis fencing club.

Congratulations on the offer, what will you be doing (Other than living off my taxes, bloody scrounging students).

silvercross
-26th February 2006, 11:35
You've given me an incentive to win the promotion play-off, Tarmac.

Definitely don't want to have to fence you next year in BUSA! :tongue:

Sure you don't want a place in Liverpool?

'Join the Scouse side of the force!' :starfight

fencingmaster
-26th February 2006, 12:22
The Polytechnic Club is nothing to do with any educational institution (it's a standard club) - it was just set up in the original Polytechnic (which was more of a night school than a higher education establisment as we know polytechnics today) which eventually became University of Westminister.

'The Poly' fc was originally (ie from the 1890s) part of what is now the University of Westminster. However, like other sporting bodies within the institute, eg the Harriers, it was 'de-institionalised' some time ago - in the same way that many other clubs became independent of ILEA following educational reforms.

However the club gives discount rates to UofW and other students.

Is the best Uni for fencing necessarily the strongest one in BUSA? - Personally I don't think so.

Agreed. Like investment companies, you can't always make assumptions on the basis of past performance. Every year is a lottery, you don't know what the new student intake will be or who will be lost because of course commitments.

Rdb811
-26th February 2006, 12:36
Originally posted by fencingmaster
[I]

However the club gives discount rates to UofW and other students.

As do we (Streatham).

Rdb811
-26th February 2006, 12:39
Originally posted by fencingmaster

[I]Is the best Uni for fencing necessarily the strongest one in BUSA? - Personally I don't think so.

Agreed. Like investment companies, you can't always make assumptions on the basis of past performance. Every year is a lottery, you don't know what the new student intake will be or who will be lost because of course commitments.

If somewhere appears year on year in the BUSA lists (even if not always in the top flight) then you're probably OK - if not then there may be no track record and things depend on one or two individuals who get things going then leave.

Tarmac
-26th February 2006, 20:38
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
IIRC they are part of an amalgamated manchester unis fencing club.
Excellent :) cheers Dave

Originally posted by Dave Hillier
Congratulations on the offer, what will you be doing (Other than living off my taxes, bloody scrounging students).
From the eternal student himself!!!! :moon:
Well, if all goes to plan and I don't get eaten by Mongolian bandits this summer, Dental Technology.... mwuhahahaha!

Originally posted by silvercross
Sure you don't want a place in Liverpool?
Uh. No.
:tongue:
But thankyou :)

madfencer
-27th April 2006, 14:22
What about Plymouth...I know Andy Hill coaches there, and I think it will be a great university for me (havent actually been there as yet but am off to plymouth for fencing on 5th may so at least will see the area but unfortunately not the uni). Am thinking of Criminal Justice Studies with Sociology there...good choice of uni for fencing?? - Foil and epee that is...im not bothered about sabre...tis a silly weapon :stickouttongue: :nananananan:

Red
-28th April 2006, 02:03
University of Leicester is fantastically equipped (judging by what I've been told by friends in Hull and Nottingham). We have plenty of electric weaponry - both left and right handed, unlike some places we know what a plastron is and most of ours are 800N these days, and finally, our armourer is going a little crazy and is on a breeches buying spree for some arcane reason.
We're amazing if you want to go off into the world and compete, even if you have no kit of your own.
Coaching - We'll get back to you on that one when we know what the future holds.

fnork
-28th April 2006, 22:01
What a-levels are you doing madfencer? Marine Biology and Criminal Justice Studies seem pretty different options... Assume you're doing sciences?

silvercross
-29th April 2006, 12:52
I probably shouldn't post this in two threads, but I am absolutely thrilled at the success our club has achieved this year. It's the sort of thing that makes you feel lucky and proud to have been a contributing member of such a fantastic group of men and women who share a delight and a passion for what they do, and still take the time to 'let their hair down' (those who have hair to let down :upset:) and approach fencing in a light hearted manner:

Because we swept the awards ceremony last night at our Athletic Union Ball (ah, ahead of all of the sports catering to the masses, we stood as the 'tough as nails, bonded together, gonna take the world by storm and shake it like a snowglobe, take no prisioners, we will rock you' club), and because we've had such a great season, just to reiterate:

Liverpool Uni Fencing Club! :)

Darned Happy to fence with such a cool group of guys and gals. They are all absolutely ACE! :thumbs_up

madfencer
-2nd May 2006, 09:17
What a-levels are you doing madfencer? Marine Biology and Criminal Justice Studies seem pretty different options... Assume you're doing sciences?

erm... :embarrassment:

Biology
Psychology
R.S.
French
Critical Thinking

Will hopefully be carrying on Biology, Critical Thinking and R.S. next year for my A-2 levels - If I don't fail them at A-S that is! :whistle:

estoc
-2nd May 2006, 10:32
Think about University of Northumbria, they have lots of good epeeists there this year and a top class Hungarian coach. They also have a scheme for supporting their top fencers financially.
Good luck with your exams.

madfencer
-2nd May 2006, 11:22
Yea - im thinking about any universities atm! lol. ...well unless they dont have a fencing club lol.

Good luck with your exams too. :)

Jules
-2nd May 2006, 13:01
University of Leicester is fantastically equipped (judging by what I've been told by friends in Hull and Nottingham).

Hmm frankly put it's true. God knows what they do with the money in this place! Rumours of expensive kit deals a couple of years back that never got paid for (and are now rendered somewhat useless cos the change in plastron regulations)...the concept of our club being able to buy breeches for general use is laughable, rather to the detriment of our teams :mad: still, its the end of the year and the new budget may come into play soon...

Skartha
-3rd May 2006, 17:38
We're going to have trouble even surviving next year. I'll be the most experienced male student fencer - I only took it up in September! Our coach is a student who graduates at the end of this year, so we're going to have to find a new coach over the summer, and we're going to have to hope for a high, dedicated intake next year, particularly male (QM has a 4:1 female:male ratio).

BUSA will probably be another whitewash for us, if we can even raise a team :( Don't suppose anyone knows any unemployed coaches in the roughly Edinburgh area?

Another fencer
-3rd May 2006, 17:45
I believe that we do well on kit, facilities, coaching etc. Well for a British University. (Our Americans cannot believe how bad things are. lol.)

We have 15 pairs of breeches and more than 25 jackets & plastrons for club use. We also have enough kit to equip 8 electric foil fencers (although rather short of blades at the moment). We also have 4 sets of electric sabre kit.

We have 3 new timing boxes and 3 old timing boxes for epeeists. (dont ask about the state of the spools though...)

We did used to require people to have their own electric kit (mentioned earlier on in this thread), but we only expect our advanced fencers to have their own stuff now (and they generally do - we run two full men's teams and a women's team.)

We have over a dozen student coaches to coach our beginners and we have Tomek Walicki as our coach.

And our top fencers like Jamie Kenber, Sophie Troiano and Matt Dodwell do come and fence with the plebes. (Really. Then again our plebes are pretty good.)

Men's First Team: BUSA Championship Winners
Women's First Team: BUSA Championship Quarterfinalists
Men's Second Team: BUSA Trophy Runner's up

Jules
-4th May 2006, 17:38
(dont ask about the state of the spools though...)

lol what is it about spools?! Ours are always in pretty bad shape as well...

Red
-6th May 2006, 13:23
Spools exist only to break...

strawberry
-6th May 2006, 16:20

Ah, that is the eternal truth of fencing.

Another Fencer, I agree you have excellent kit, fencers, etc...but you do fence a cricket hall and that is probably the only negative!

Ahem, I really should be plugging my own club. Did you know in Aberystwyth you can fence 6 days a week? :cool:

Skartha
-6th May 2006, 21:57
Ahem, I really should be plugging my own club. Did you know in Aberystwyth you can fence 6 days a week? :cool:

You are the very incarnation of the word 'jealousy' :(

strawberry
-7th May 2006, 07:10
You are the very incarnation of the word 'jealousy' :(
How is saying that you can fence in my town six nights a week jealousy? :shrug: We have enough kit for our needs, nice facilities, and membership is only 10 per year, so I'm unlikely to be jealous of anyone.

silvercross
-7th May 2006, 09:06
I like your membership fees!

10.00 a year! :not_worth

Still, the train ride to Aberystwyth might make it financially impossible for me :rolling:

And good training schedule. Is the day off pub day? :grin:

strawberry
-7th May 2006, 09:20
It's a monday night, so not really! Our training sessions on wednesday, saturday and sunday are in the daytime though, and not everyone trains at the town club on a thursday.

Skartha
-7th May 2006, 11:05
How is saying that you can fence in my town six nights a week jealousy? :shrug: We have enough kit for our needs, nice facilities, and membership is only 10 per year, so I'm unlikely to be jealous of anyone.

Heh, sorry, bad wording. I meant that I'm jealous of you lot. We have a tiny gym hall, not enough kit and only fence once a week, sometimes twice. Sorry for the misunderstanding (I can speak English. Honest!) :)

strawberry
-7th May 2006, 11:31
Lol, I thought it sounded a bit odd. How many members do you have btw? Must be difficult to get new members if you don't have the space.

Skartha
-7th May 2006, 11:41
At the moment, about 10. How many of them will come back for next year is unsure. Lots of people came to the first few sessions, but the number dwindled significantly over a matter of weeks. There's always a chance we'll get a good crowd in next year, I guess, and I really hope we do. Fencing's well-established at QM, and it'd be a real shame to see it die.

The space isn't too much of a problem - it may actually have its advantages, since when on the piste at a comp you feel like you have loads of room :) A bigger hall would mean we'd be able to run several matches at once during training, but with our current intake it hardly matters. Still, we're relocating to Musselburgh in late 2007, so hopefully that will mean more applications to QMUC, so more people who might be interested in fencing. Fingers crossed.

silvercross
-7th May 2006, 12:46
One thing we did last year to get students interested in fencing was to hold an outdoors fencing match (steam) right outside the uni sports centre The days of Fresher Fair.

It did attract quite a crowd (and volleyball soon copied us, taking our space! :mad: )

Other than that, I walked around the main sports hall, balancing an epee by the tip with my pinky :grin: , and generally dragging people towards our table, and having foam sabre fights with any who wanted to! :whistle:

strawberry
-7th May 2006, 13:26
We have similar methods of recruitment, the trouble is getting people to stay after the first few weeks. A lot of people leave before we reach Christmas...having said that the club is a reasonable size with about 50 regular fencers.

silvercross
-7th May 2006, 13:51
I've found chaining them to the cupboards tends to work! :grin: But then I have no chains for armouring...

Either that or putting a little Leon Paul (c) adhesive on the soles of their shoes (yes, we have thought about that)...

One thing I DEFINITELY do not recommend is lavishing newbies with gifts or outlandish prizes in your club newbie comp (if you hold one). :dont:

We've got the same problem here, though we've also kept around 45 fencers. Would have been nice to keep all of the 50 new intakes from September.

strawberry
-7th May 2006, 13:58
Yes, we've found though that a surprising number of people sign up (and pay) at Freshers but never actually turn up to fence. We do get a fair bit of money that way.
This year hasn't been a particularly good one for keeping new people, but it seems to change every year. Getting new people involved in socials seems to help a lot.

silvercross
-7th May 2006, 14:16
we've done socials, but this year the choice of venue our AU chose for it's AU night was so horrible no one went to them. Thankfully they changed it (though it was 2/3 of the year through), but most of it fell to us to do stuff. We did do a lot of club activities, which helped a lot. Paintball still lingers in my mind (paintballing in the dead of winter with 2 1/2 inches of snow! :grin: )

Foilling Around
-7th May 2006, 14:26

Actually spools only exist to be repaired ..... subtle but important difference if you are an armourer!

Foilling Around
-7th May 2006, 14:35
We have similar methods of recruitment, the trouble is getting people to stay after the first few weeks. A lot of people leave before we reach Christmas...having said that the club is a reasonable size with about 50 regular fencers.

There is no magic answer guys. It was the same when I was at Uni 20+ years ago and I'm sure it was the same 20 years before that.

The best I can suggest it that you make sure that the newcommers are made welcome and that they enjoy a good social life through the club as well as the fencing side.

People join because they are interested/attracted/fascinated by the sport. They stay because they like the people/atmoshpere/social side as well as the competitive bit. Only a few decide they want to become world champion!!

Unfortunately, if you only discovered fencing when you got to Uni then the chances of making the Olympics are virtually non-existent....... but don't tell them that straight away.

Boo Boo
-7th May 2006, 14:46
Unfortunately, if you only discovered fencing when you got to Uni then the chances of making the Olympics are virtually non-existent....... but don't tell them that straight away.

Although you might make the top 100 of the FIE World Rankings, so it isn't all bad...

Boo

Dragonfly
-7th May 2006, 14:55
I have to say that Sussex Uni has the other problem - yey for us...
This year we got so many people to our initial sessions that we couldn't feasibly take them all. Gradually people dropped off, and the others saw an increase in space and individual teaching time, so they tended to stay. I think the two taster sessions we held helped this considerably though, that we got so many people to start with.
One thing that does tend to happen is that the experienced people start helping the beginners to learn a new weapon. So an experienced foilist (for example ), will take five or six eager candidates and teach them as they themselves would expect to be taught. This works if your club has perhaps 5 experienced fencers. Helps for BUSA too because then you know who's got a good handle on their weapon (no pun intended). This also means that those that use the session just for a social and maybe a bit of a workout get taught by the coach.
The coach, in the meantime, when they have a minute, will make sure the experienced fencers are teaching the moves properly. Teaching does invariably help the teacher to learn too.
It helps in the following years too, as those who got 5 to 1 tuition will be more inclined to return because they really are learning how to fence, or at any rate, at a greater speed than if they were in a huge group.

Aidyboy
-7th May 2006, 15:12
I'm seriously considering heading off to Bristol year after next. I noticed they're at the top of the BUSA ranknigs for Men's southern premiership, but how consistent is their performance from year to year? Is there anyone on the forum that attends the club?
Obviously theres rather a lot of good clubs in the south of England for epee - reading; bath sword; and sussex house etc. within a couple of hours drive I think :whistle: - but does anybody know what the very local club(s) are like for epee?

Also on a side note, does anybody with a better command of British geography (and possibly reality aswell) know how feasable the [midweek] journey between bristol and the IoW is (inc. a 15 min (aprox.) ferry crossing)? This would be on a weekly, possibly bi-weekly, basis - can't ditch my solent swords. . .

Cheers in advance,
Aidan :)

Boo Boo
-7th May 2006, 15:36
I'm seriously considering heading off to Bristol year after next. I noticed they're at the top of the BUSA ranknigs for Men's southern premiership, but how consistent is their performance from year to year? Is there anyone on the forum that attends the club?

Hi, I go to the University Club once a week. Bristol has generally attracted a good standard of fencers over the years (thinking back for the past 10+ years). Jules Nelis, Tom Brenda, Francesco (whose surname I have forgotten :( ) are all strong sabreurs and there are some good epeeists there too (Ollie Campion-Awad, Dave Belfourd and a few others - I don't tend to go along on the main epee training day...). In addition, it is a very friendly and social club: really nice atmosphere :)

The room used by fencing is quite small, but they have several squad sessions a week, a fitness/footwork session and a beginners session too: all very organised. The university coach is Neil Brown - a BAF Professor (qualified to their highest level in all 3 weapons).

The University of Bristol and the city have a lot to offer.

Obviously theres rather a lot of good clubs in the south of England for epee - reading; bath sword; and sussex house etc. within a couple of hours drive I think :whistle: - but does anybody know what the very local club(s) are like for epee?

Some of the Bristol Uni fencers go to Bath Sword on a Thursday night - that is a VERY good bet (lots of good epeeists and pentathletes there). Get a lift with the university fencers - the drive is about 30/40 minutes door to door (assuming good traffic).

Another good competitive club is Cardiff. Probably about 45 minutes drive from Bristol. You may be able to get a train into Cardiff, then a lift from the station or something. That is Wednesday night.

Bristol fencing club is a good "social club", but pretty thin on the ground for epeeists (and space) sometimes.

You could do each week (subject to them changing things of course!):
- Monday evening: university run fencing fitness and footwork session, maybe help out with the beginners' session afterwards.
- Tuesday afternoon: couple of hours fencing at the University
- Wednesday afternoon: BUSA match (or maybe go to Cardiff Fencing Club)
- Thursday evening: Bath Sword.
- Friday afternoon: couple of hours fencing at the University, maybe a fencing lesson.
- Weekends: fencing competition or time off.

That's a pretty full fencing timetable.

Also on a side note, does anybody with a better command of British geography (and possibly reality aswell) know how feasable the [midweek] journey between bristol and the IoW is (inc. a 15 min (aprox.) ferry crossing)? This would be on a weekly, possibly bi-weekly, basis - can't ditch my solent swords. . .

It's about 2 hours/2 hours 15 minutes (assuming good traffic) from Bristol to Portsmouth/Lymington. So add whatever time on top of that for getting there in time for the ferry, getting the ferry, getting to your club the other side... 3 or so? Longer by train I would guess. To be honest, I really don't think that is realistic: would probably be better pursuing quality training closer to the university. Go back to Solent Swords during holiday time?

Boo

Aidyboy
-7th May 2006, 16:04
You could do each week (subject to them changing things of course!):
- Monday evening: university run fencing fitness and footwork session, maybe help out with the beginners' session afterwards.
- Tuesday afternoon: couple of hours fencing at the University
- Wednesday afternoon: BUSA match (or maybe go to Cardiff Fencing Club)
- Thursday evening: Bath Sword.
- Friday afternoon: couple of hours fencing at the University, maybe a fencing lesson.
- Weekends: fencing competition or time off.

That's a pretty full fencing timetable.
Boo

well that sounds pretty good to me. nice full week of quality fencing, better than the 2 sessions (one just with Johnbone) a week Im currently getting. cheers for the very useful reply Boo. :)

Also, how hard is it getting on the BUSA 1sts team generally? What sort of standard do you normally need to slink on at the bottom?

Boo Boo
-7th May 2006, 16:09
well that sounds pretty good to me. nice full week of quality fencing, better than the 2 sessions (one just with Johnbone) a week Im currently getting. cheers for the very useful reply Boo. :)

Ok, give Bristol some serious consideration - assuming they do a course that you are very interested in - am sure that you would have a great time there.

Best thing to do is to go to a University Open day.

Also, how hard is it getting on the BUSA 1sts team generally? What sort of standard do you normally need to slink on at the bottom?

Depends on the university you go to, who else is there at the time, who is free to fence in certain matches etc. Going to a university with good fencers has it pros and cons (harder to get into the team, but better people to train with). Getting onto the BUSA team is great, but choosing a good university with good training in the area is the most important thing :)

Boo

J_D
-7th May 2006, 16:30
I used to travel from Bristol to the IOW quite often, would reckon 2 hours to Southampton, always miss the first ferry, 1 hour crossing (cos i took the car) then 15-20 mins to Sandown

pigeonmeister
-8th May 2006, 08:39

I would rule out walking into Bristol's sabre team (sabre in general has been the weapon of highest standard in last few years- in all premierships teams). Epee offers much more hope in the case of Bristol- the way it works is usually the epee team will contain at least one foilist who is good enough to beat an average epee specialist. Beat him and your in, because he wont mind fencing foil alone. Bristol have quite a young team so expect them to be good for at least another year or two. I would also look at the BUSA results, for foil and epee they were not that spectacular (apart from Philip Wright- he's very good). If you have beaten the other Bristol fencers, or somepeople around or above them then you should be confident (of course you never know who else is going to go in September).

Believe me all team captains will be keeping an eye out for potential talent. Just introduce yourself, briefly outline a few results you have had, MOST IMPORTANT- make sure he is watching when you demolish the third team fencer (epeeist or foilist) in the first training section! I have also noticed that if you have two fencers of equal standard- the one who is 'closest' to the team in terms of social skills and drinking skills will be the one the team want to take when you have an away match in St Andrew's.

Boo Boo
-8th May 2006, 10:26
Ooops, I forgot to mention Phil Wright... although I haven't seen much of him recently...

Believe me all team captains will be keeping an eye out for potential talent. Just introduce yourself, briefly outline a few results you have had, MOST IMPORTANT- make sure he is watching when you demolish the third team fencer (epeeist or foilist) in the first training section! I have also noticed that if you have two fencers of equal standard- the one who is 'closest' to the team in terms of social skills and drinking skills will be the one the team want to take when you have an away match in St Andrew's.

From memory, the WORST thing you can do when you go to University is introduce yourself to the university team as "I was the school captain"... that phrase used like a red rag to a bull with ChubbyHubby...

Don't make a big thing about your results, let your fencing do the talking :)

Completely agree with Pigeon on the social side of things (although that is probably obvious, since you want to have a good time too!). Get to know the team socially (without stalking them!) and offrer to help out with whatever you can (i.e. help out with the beginners sessions or maybe help the club commitee out with bits and pieces)

Boo

kv.
-8th May 2006, 11:09
[QUOTE=pigeonmeister] I would also look at the BUSA results, for foil and epee they were not that spectacular (apart from Philip Wright- he's very good). QUOTE]

This is hardly a reliable method - a) not all universities send a team to the BUSA individuals b) often, not everyone in a team will make it to the indiviudals because of the work committments involved in trying to get a degree! c) you wouldn't judge a fencer by his/her performance in one Open, so why use one set of results as a basis for assessment of ability as a whole?

Realistically, to get on a BUSA first team in the Premiership you are probably going to need results inside the top 100 (at least) of your chosen weapon. Unless the entire team graduates, necessitating that the team be composed entirely of freshers...you never know! :wink:

Another fencer
-8th May 2006, 11:55
Some Premiership teams are quite weak, but to make it onto the top 7 or so (including the top Scottish team) is usually not easy. And if you go to a university with an abnormally strong team, and you dont get in, you can always petition for the creation of a second team. Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, St Andrews, Aberystwyth and Imperial all ran second teams this year. I know that a couple of others were considering it. The Oxford and Cambridge teams both made the Trophy comp and knocked out other university first teams (Oxford lost in the final to ULU).

pigeonmeister
-8th May 2006, 13:17
[QUOTE=pigeonmeister] I would also look at the BUSA results, for foil and epee they were not that spectacular (apart from Philip Wright- he's very good). QUOTE]

This is hardly a reliable method - a) not all universities send a team to the BUSA individuals b) often, not everyone in a team will make it to the indiviudals because of the work committments involved in trying to get a degree! c) you wouldn't judge a fencer by his/her performance in one Open, so why use one set of results as a basis for assessment of ability as a whole?

Realistically, to get on a BUSA first team in the Premiership you are probably going to need results inside the top 100 (at least) of your chosen weapon. Unless the entire team graduates, necessitating that the team be composed entirely of freshers...you never know! :wink:

OK calm down KV- I wasn't suggesting that you use one set of results as a basis for assessment of all universities. I was suggesting that most of the Bristol Fencing team had entered the BUSA's and that you can gage a rough idea of their standard by looking at them. That is a much more reliable and less general method than 'you are going to need results inside the top 100'!! You would need to be a UK top 30 epeeist to even have a chance of getting in the Northumbria team. You would have to be an international standard sabreur to get in the Cambridge or Bristol teams. You would have to have fenced internationaly to get into Oxford's first foil team. But you could get into the Manchester sabre team if you had one arm (no offense).

Boo Boo
-8th May 2006, 13:31
But you could get into the Manchester sabre team if you had one arm (no offense).

OOooooooohhhhhh!!!

Boo
(foreseeing a few angry Manchester Uni Sabreurs chasing pigeonmeister into the distance...)
(really missing those smilies :( )

silvercross
-8th May 2006, 14:37
If that happens, Pigeonmeister, us lads from the 'Scouse' side of the force will root for ya :starfight !

Returning to the request from AidyBoy, guess there is no clear way of determining it unless you go to the uni club and see how you feel about it. Some squads are loaded with fencers in the top 100 or 50, some squads have enough GBR stripes to draw a line from england to Norway and back, but it doesn't necesaraly mean it WILL be the best environment for you. Iif you don't feel at home in the group, then you won't enjoy it as much.

Decide the balance you want and what you want to get out of the club (since you will be paying club fees every year and dedicating your time to it).

pigeonmeister
-8th May 2006, 14:40
OOooooooohhhhhh!!!
Boo
(foreseeing a few angry Manchester Uni Sabreurs chasing pigeonmeister into the distance...)

Don't worry they would probably fall short anyway!

(not sure why I am in such an abusive mood today- please somebody feel free to cut me down to size!)

pigeonmeister
-8th May 2006, 16:01
please somebody feel free to cut me down to size

Well there's my first negative rep point received! Seek and yea shall find I gues!

gbm
-8th May 2006, 16:10
Only one? I've had four already - and some on posts where I've got no idea why! (some for posts retrospectively - i.e. posted considerably before the rep feature was introduced).

randomsabreur
-8th May 2006, 16:24
Easy way to walk onto most uni teams, be female...

Far too many memories of begging for someone, anyone, who had actually held a fencing weapon before (not fussy which) to come to yet another away match!

Some exceptions, but generally the women's teams are crying out for more members, if nothing else so the "stars" don't have to do 3 weapons, and potentially drive a large and unfamiliar vehicle to a well hidden location.

Speaking from experience - me - never!

Skartha
-8th May 2006, 16:28
We're the opposite - Men's Team at BUSA last year consisted of the club's three male members! :D Hard work, to say the least.

pigeonmeister
-8th May 2006, 16:29
Only one? I've had four already - and some on posts where I've got no idea why! (some for posts retrospectively - i.e. posted considerably before the rep feature was introduced).

To be honest the whole rep thing is a bit pathetic in my opinion. The only ones I value are the odd one on the US forum, where people actually can be wait for it........contentious without a sense of humour failure!

The fact is that Manchester have a poor Men's team- they lost every match of the season. They also conceded a walkover and thus were barred from entering the cup. That is not a comment on the people in the team- who are great and I have had a beer with.

Aidyboy
-8th May 2006, 16:34

I've just looked on the BUSA individuals results list, and the epeeists that went werent ranked nationally, although I know ollie campion-awaad's comfortably inside the top 100. Does anybody know who's on the Bristol team at the moment? From what people have said so far, and the BUSA individuals results, I'm guessing it's Raphael Guibout, Dave Belfourd, and Ollie Campion-Awaad. Am I wrong?:grin:

Aidyboy
-8th May 2006, 16:41
To be honest the whole rep thing is a bit pathetic in my opinion. The only ones I value are the odd one on the US forum, where people actually can be wait for it........contentious without a sense of humour failure!

The fact is that Manchester have a poor Men's team- they lost every match of the season. They also conceded a walkover and thus were barred from entering the cup. That is not a comment on the people in the team- who are great and I have had a beer with.

RE: rep. . . I don't like it either - solely 'cos mine is crap (sympathy please people. . . . )
With regards to mancunian fencers, only one I know (not technically mancunian, but of decent - also not on BUSA team) leaves a lot to be desired. . . .:tongue:

silvercross
-8th May 2006, 16:50
Easy way to walk onto most uni teams, be female...

Far too many memories of begging for someone, anyone, who had actually held a fencing weapon before (not fussy which) to come to yet another away match!

Some exceptions, but generally the women's teams are crying out for more members, if nothing else so the "stars" don't have to do 3 weapons, and potentially drive a large and unfamiliar vehicle to a well hidden location.

Speaking from experience - me - never!

True that. My ex-girlfriend was allowed to go to the intermediate-advanced sessions at Bristol (a couple o'years back) because some of the guys on the team fancied her (she was a beginner at the time).

'Course, that's not kinda in the same region as what you were sayin', but heck, worth pointing out :grin:. Sometimes it IS a good thing to be a gal on a fencing team...

Over here in Liverpool we've got the same problem. Not enough ladies take up the sport. Our ladies squad had a typical size of five! :eek:

silvercross
-8th May 2006, 16:51
Gonna start adding rep to people 'cause I'm in a good mood...:grin:

D'Artignan
-8th May 2006, 17:03
Our ladies squad had a typical size of five! :eek:Our men's squad is about that size. Though a relatively high proportion of those are fairly good fencers, on their day. Sometimes.

gbm
-8th May 2006, 17:04

Make that 5 - I've just got one for this post:
http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141298#post141298
with the comment 'relevance?'
:shrug:

If someone gave me negative rep for my last few posts in this thread then I'd understand (this being my most spammy contribution of late), but the one's I have got them for... Madness! :)

Boo Boo
-8th May 2006, 17:34
From what people have said so far, and the BUSA individuals results, I'm guessing it's Raphael Guibout, Dave Belfourd, and Ollie Campion-Awaad. Am I wrong?:grin:

Sounds about right to me...

[QUOTE=randomsabreur]Far too many memories of begging for someone, anyone, who had actually held a fencing weapon before (not fussy which) to come to yet another away match!QUOTE]

I got invited to fence for a couple of different university team this year, I said that I think that their opposition might cotton on to the fact that I wasn't still at university... ;)

Boo

Jules
-8th May 2006, 17:46
Its rather like that at Notts, enough guys to make two teams but the female scene is a little short on numbers! Problem is, we only retained one of our female beginners so we only have one extra person to counter the loss of two key players for next year (notwithstanding any new, experienced intake of course). I think the high male:female ratio is offputting to a lot of girls - dont know why! ;)

strawberry
-9th May 2006, 12:10
Aberystwyth will probably have two women's teams from next year; the second team will probably be made up of novices, but at least then we won't lose women because they can't get on a team.

Boo Boo
-9th May 2006, 12:11
Aberystwyth will probably have two women's teams from next year; the second team will probably be made up of novices, but at least then we won't lose women because they can't get on a team.

Your women's first team still in the Southern Premier Division this coming year?

Boo

strawberry
-9th May 2006, 13:22
Yes, as we aren't bottom of the league. Sadly I won't be there any more, and am headed to an institution with no club :mad:

Tarmac
-9th May 2006, 22:19
[quote=kv.]
But you could get into the Manchester sabre team if you had one arm (no offense).

I start Uni at Manchester this September and can no longer fence sabre with my right hand. I accept this as a challenge and will attempt to get on the sabre team by fencing entirely left handed. :nanananan

Epee could get interesting too ;)

silvercross
-9th May 2006, 22:55
Atta boy Tarmac!

Wait, does that mean I'll have to switch to fencing Sabre Right handed for the Annual Christy Cup Match??:nanananan

One thing is for sure, I ain't switching to right handed epee!:whistle:

pigeonmeister
-10th May 2006, 08:27
[quote=pigeonmeister]

I start Uni at Manchester this September and can no longer fence sabre with my right hand. I accept this as a challenge and will attempt to get on the sabre team by fencing entirely left handed. :nanananan

Epee could get interesting too ;)

The Epee team is ok- plus Jon Bradley is obviously a great fencer.
Good luck with the challenge!- why can't you fence sabre RH'd?

silvercross
-10th May 2006, 08:36
BTW. only just noticed...

Happy Birthday AidyBoy! :thumbs_up

Tarmac
-10th May 2006, 18:49
The Epee team is ok- plus Jon Bradley is obviously a great fencer.
Good luck with the challenge!- why can't you fence sabre RH'd?

Guess I'll do epee as normal - especially as Jon took me out in the Bristol 15,11 :thumbs_up

Can't do sabre RH'd due to a very nasty corps a corps in my early fencing days which bent my thumb 90 degrees the wrong direction... it's the reason i fence epee now. Talk about a blessing in disguise :rolleyes: