PDA

View Full Version : Prime-riposte

Aidyboy
-28th January 2006, 18:35
What do you do with your blade on the riposte?:grin:

Seen a few people go round the back of their heads. . . I'm not entirely sure if its even a prime. . .open to correction on that one. I just wanted to broaden my repetoire and those look quite good.

vil
-28th January 2006, 19:21
There's a time and a place for everything, young grashopper. :yoda:

The around-behind-the-head hit is an infighting technique (i.e for when you're too close to be able to hit normally). Be very careful about when you do it - pick the wrong time and you leave yourself wide open to a hit. It can make a good riposte if you've just parried a fleche and your opponent is carrying on past you, for example.

It doesn't work too well as a riposte from prime though (IMO) - it's a big slow movement to get the blade around behind your head from there. Much better to do a direct riposte or, if you're feeling daring, a cut-over instead.

Aidyboy
-29th January 2006, 11:53
cheerz vil, jus what I was after.:)

fencingmaster
-29th January 2006, 12:11
Aidyboy, do you mean a riposte from the parry of prime, or a riposte from (eg) sixte or quarte parry that then pronates & angulates similar to a prime position?

If from prime parry, the riposte can be made direct or with opposition to the thigh , or taken wider to the flank, against someone of the opposite hand it wold be to the abdomen. If either were fleching the hand would also travel back whilst forming the riposte in opposition. The inverted cut-over as suggested by vil is another alternative - all are for close quarters and depend on distance.

Starting from sixte or quarte it's a matter of timing the inversion to 'prime', which can in as the hand passes to quarte or over/behind the head. Riposting round the back (under the sword arm) is also viable against the fleche.

They're for close quarters, often when your are inside the opponents reach.

Good luck

Aidyboy
-29th January 2006, 12:50
Originally posted by fencingmaster

Starting from sixte or quarte it's a matter of timing the inversion to 'prime', which can in as the hand passes to quarte or over/behind the head. Riposting round the back (under the sword arm) is also viable against the fleche.

Good luck

Hello, this one sounds interesting. Sorry, Im having a little difficulty in understanding the riposte round the back. I assume you have to leave their blade, so what is stopping them simply extending their original attack and hitting you? Is this why the timing is so important? Also where are you going from when you take your arm round the back. I have seen this done before but never understood the mechanics. Thanks.:)

Adler
-29th January 2006, 13:02
Tierce is quite a good posistion at close distance to riposte around the back of the head. The riposte would normally go to body.

When i teach prime i normally teach the direct riposte to thigh or abdomen .

vil
-29th January 2006, 13:45
Originally posted by Aidyboy
Hello, this one sounds interesting. Sorry, Im having a little difficulty in understanding the riposte round the back. I assume you have to leave their blade, so what is stopping them simply extending their original attack and hitting you?
Fencingmaster has already answered your question:

Originally posted by fencingmaster
Basically, as you take your parry you step in so that your opponents point is behind you. That makes it difficult for them to remise and gives you a nice open target to play with. :)

fencingmaster
-29th January 2006, 13:49
what is stopping them simply extending their original attack

These actions are for close quarters, the opponent's point must be past the target, i.e. if the opponent fleches or if you parry and step in to make the riposte. You should time the hit once you are inside their blade

Attached is an illustration from my book 'foil fencing' - the principle is the same, but timed when the attacker is a little closer

Also where are you going from when you take your arm round the back.
trade secret

fencingmaster
-29th January 2006, 13:50
above illustration adapted...

Aidyboy
-29th January 2006, 16:00
thanks all! Understood and appreciated. Liked the diagram.:grin:

Nick
-30th January 2006, 12:52
Received a very nice example of the round the back hit from Tarmac at Plymouth this weekend. Final hit of a friendly warm up bout. I fleche going past inside the quarte line, thought runs through my head "aha!!! I am past and almost completely safe" split second later point comes round his back and catches my stomach. A beautiful example of how it can be used against a fleche (especially when your opponent has been stupid enough to pass on the inside when he knows that he should be going past on the outside :grumble grumble: )

gbm
-30th January 2006, 16:18
Received three in one poule fight grrr.... :grin: 5-4 to Tarmac :tongue: ;)