PDA

View Full Version : Post edit time

hokers
-31st January 2006, 11:26
Can we remove the edit time limit of 5 minutes please? It's quite annoying when you can't correct your own mistakes.

Sabre Dude
-31st January 2006, 18:06
I 2nd that comment!

Rdb811
-1st February 2006, 00:07
The problem is you could post, be replied to and then change the original post if the time limit were slacker.

madfencer
-1st February 2006, 07:55
True I s'pose but in a way it would be good if it was a slightly longer time. Then again, if we all checked for mistakes immediately after we've posted it would be alright I s'pose.

wingnutLP
-1st February 2006, 08:05
Originally posted by Rdb811
The problem is you could post, be replied to and then change the original post if the time limit were slacker.

Exactly...

I agree that it is annoying not being able to correct yourself (well in fact I can edit whenever I like!:) ) but 5 minutes should give you enough time to re read your post and make sure it is as you intended. If we up it to ten minutes or even more then you can easily modify your post after someone has commented on or even quoted from your original post.

Gav
-1st February 2006, 08:28
I think that the trick is to consider your post before you make it. I frequently post then think "oh bugger look at that comma - tsk" and as I have the power to edit it at any time I could go back and edit it. I usually don't bother as someone has probably read what I have typed and, if necessary I can clarify later.

hokers: In your case you can make comments that make sense in joined up sentences. I wouldn't worry too much. If something is clearly come out wrong, or is just stupid, then get in touch with a moderator and we can edit or remove it for you.

Meneldil
-1st February 2006, 15:25
I would certainly be in favour of removing the limit - certainly on other forums I go to it's no problem at all, and always leaves a handy little message if you edit a post for others to see.
Perhaps let people edit the post until someone else posts another reply on the same thread?

gbm
-1st February 2006, 22:34
Such a thing is probably impossible using the forum's current version of vBulletin.

I don't think being able to edit a post long after you have posted it is a good idea.

Johnbone
-7th February 2006, 11:18
Yeah, if it remains forever editable it menas that someone could go back and change the whole meaning of the thread which could cause confusion. You can always correct your mistakes in another reply anyway.

PM1
-7th February 2006, 22:30
Actually, I find the REAL problem is when it takes more than 5 minutes to compose the reply - press submit reply, timed out, and you lose the carefully composed missive :( :( I waffle, I know :rolleyes:

gbm
-7th February 2006, 23:01
Another advantage to using Opera - when you click the back button after submitting a form, all the information you submitted is cached and so reappears as it was before you submitted it (so you can then copy and paste your elaborate reply into a new post).

wingnutLP
-8th February 2006, 07:28
Originally posted by gbm
Another advantage to using Opera - when you click the back button after submitting a form, all the information you submitted is cached and so reappears as it was before you submitted it (so you can then copy and paste your elaborate reply into a new post).
Same with mozilla

Andy
-8th February 2006, 11:44
Browser geeks ;)