PDA

View Full Version : BUSA Plate

Skippy
-8th February 2006, 22:02
What is the BUSA Plate competition, and how does it work??

Our team has (I think) just qualified for it, and it would be nice to know what we're about to let ourselves in for...

UglyBug
-9th February 2006, 08:40
http://www.busa.org.uk/sport.asp?parent=20010001&section=0001000200010001&sport=2001000100360016

Should be on there somewhere. Congratulations!!

pigeonmeister
-9th February 2006, 10:04
Originally posted by Skippy
What is the BUSA Plate competition, and how does it work??

Our team has (I think) just qualified for it, and it would be nice to know what we're about to let ourselves in for...

I think that the plate is a play off between the winners of the two second team leagues. That is the winner of the Scottish second division and the South Eastern second division. Assuming that you beat City University yesterday then you have won your league and will fence Aberdeen. You better hope you get a home draw- But well done anyway!

I'm still feeling a bit sore after losing the Premiership by 3 hits yesterday:eek: Beaten by local rivals Nottingham as well!
Fantastic match- it was 43-43 in the final sabre match with both teams needing just 2 hits for the premiership. Congrats to the Nottingham boys who fenced well throughout the season and were very sporting in victory.

Congrats to Bristol in winning the Southern Premiership- they look like the team to beat the season and could dominate for the next few years with quite a young team.

Bambi
-9th February 2006, 10:25
Had a look on the website but couldn't find anything about possible draws.

But if you reckon Surrey Uni will be taking on the mighty Deen then that will be cool. Dont mind if we have an away match, but would prefer a home game.

Well done to you and if we dont meet in the 1st round good luck!!

:fencingsm

Skippy
-9th February 2006, 11:07
ABERDEEN!!!!!

But, but, but that's MILES away!!! :eek:

It's so far, it's another country!!!

:ahahhhhhh

Home match please...

pigeonmeister
-9th February 2006, 11:13
If you check all the leagues then they have the qualification criteria and what cup you will be entered into, listed above. The only two leagues that mention 'the plate' are the 2 second division leagues. It says the top 2 in these two leagues get promoted, but only the winner goes into the plate. As such their is no draw because it is simply a play off between the winners of these 2 leagues. I gues there will be a draw for whether you are home or away. Most Uni's have a slush fund to pay for any cups that a uni team might qualify for (which they obviously can't include in the budget cos they don't know where you will play or how far you will get) For Birmingham it is over 15,000- which is why we got a nice hotel to stay in when we played Edinburgh the season before last. My gues is that your uni will stump up likewise.

The other two cups are the BUSA Championship (for all premiership teams + the winner of a play off between the two winners of the two Northern Conferences + highest placed 1st team in the Midland league + the two highest 1st teams in the Scottish first division + the highest placed 1st teams in the Western and South Eastern leagues) Only 1st teams can enter the championship- even if the second team win their league.

Then there is the Trophy which is for teams that came second, third or fourth in their leagues (depending on the size of their league) Plus the loser of the championship play off in the Northern Leagues

pigeonmeister
-9th February 2006, 11:20
ABERDEEN!!!!!

But, but, but that's MILES away!!! :eek:

It's so far, it's another country!!!

:ahahhhhhh

Home match please...

I have just had a look at the AA route planner:tongue: :tongue:

554 miles for a road trip of 10 3/4 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UglyBug
-9th February 2006, 11:23
why don't you meet in the middle somewhere?

Bambi
-9th February 2006, 11:25
From my understanding the higher of the two seedings has the home game but i may be wrong and its just down to pick of the draw.

If im right (and i hope i am) we will have the home match as we have 24pts and you have 15pts. But i might be wrong.

:tongue:

haggis
-9th February 2006, 11:29
Must be terrible having travel all that way ONCE in a year for a competition
(mutters darkly about soft southerners...)

Regards

Haggis

UglyBug
-9th February 2006, 11:34
yeah - try and be like the hard northerners and wear skirts!!!

Bambi
-9th February 2006, 11:35
Next they'll be complaining about the cold and the snow!!!

Skippy
-9th February 2006, 11:55
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
Most Uni's have a slush fund to pay for any cups that a uni team might qualify for ... My gues is that your uni will stump up likewise.

Someones never met our union.

Oh well, we can always hope...

haggis
-9th February 2006, 12:01
Originally posted by UglyBug
yeah - try and be like the hard northerners and wear skirts!!!

I'm comfortable with that!;)

Nick_C
-9th February 2006, 12:13

For Birmingham it is over 15,000- which is why we got a nice hotel to stay in when we played Edinburgh the season before last. My gues is that your uni will stump up likewise.

FIFTEEN GRAND!?!?!?!? You serious? We get 200 in our competitions bugdet for the entire season! That will almost pay for one away knockout fixture...

I'd love to hear what you get for coaching fees!

Bambi
-9th February 2006, 12:17
Surely this 15K is for your sports union to dish out to every club and not your own clubs personal expenditure.

My sports union will pay for the cheapest travel were possible and the cheapest accomodation. We have to pay 5 each for travel and 7 for accomodation. Thats only for things like BUSA knockouts. Any other comp we have to fund ourselves.

pigeonmeister
-9th February 2006, 12:20
Someones never met our union.

Oh well, we can always hope...

Well the way I see it is that you are obviously not going to be able to travel and fence on the same day. The only option is a hotel and surely your University wouldn't make leave you that out of pocket for the privilige of representing and maybe winning something for them. I'm not sure if I would bother if they didn't.

randomsabreur
-9th February 2006, 12:27
Put it this way, you'd travel up for an open, where you fence a round of poules + DE (you hope) and could get ranking points.

Would you travel 10 hours for a theoretical maximum piste time of 27 mins (Assuming sabre fights go to time!?;) )

I wouldn't, unless it cost me under 10.

Biggest case for holding BUSA over a weekend or two at a rotating location...

pigeonmeister
-9th February 2006, 12:30
Originally posted by Nick_C
FIFTEEN GRAND!?!?!?!? You serious? We get 200 in our competitions bugdet for the entire season! That will almost pay for one away knockout fixture...

I'd love to hear what you get for coaching fees!

No that is obviously for all the Uni sports teams! Because Birmingham is always in top 3 in overall BUSA league- that means quite a lot of teams qualify so it isn't that much. Otherwise we might have arranged a 'competition' in the Maldives! The trip to Edinburgh was definately more than 200 though- 7 train tickets and hotel rooms for 7 probably cost the Uni more like 500.

Does that mean you only get 200 for mens and womens teams including petrol? We have Durham and Northumbria in our league-that would be most of the budget in two league matches!

I assume that at the very least they will pay for the travel to Aberdeen?

Gav
-9th February 2006, 12:33
Bloody Lazy students!

Get yourselves off your backsides and get train tickets with your student railcards. They are inexpensive if booked in advance and, if you need to buy a railcard now, it will be valid for a year (if you know what you are doing it can still work out cheaper with buying a railcard). If memory serves there is at least one train a day direct (which means no changing trains) to Aberdeen from Birmingham. There must be youth hostels in Aberdeen and they are dirt cheap.

If you don't like the train then fly - although my experience of internal flights to places in scotland is that they are invariably more expensive than the train.

So long as it doesn't rain [admittedly a HUGE possibility] Aberdeen is pretty enough - so long as you like granite.

I have this image of English students tripping gaily round the maypole whining, "but but but it's so far to go..." If you can't manage a trip to Aberdeen how are you going to cope with the backpacking trup mommy and daddy are going to have to pay for? What is up with the youth of today?

Skippy
-9th February 2006, 12:35
Originally posted by randomsabreur
Would you travel 10 hours for a theoretical maximum piste time of 27 mins (Assuming sabre fights go to time!?;) )

I went to the Cole last year (missed the cut by quite a way) and was probably on the piste for less time than 27 minutes. :(

Counting both days... :confused:

rory
-9th February 2006, 12:43
What Gav said.
If you want to fence, make an effort.

Try doing a full competitive Open season when based in Edinburgh, or for that matter Aberdeen (ask Moby about this!).

Once you've done, that, if you still want to moan, you can.

pigeonmeister
-9th February 2006, 12:46
I still wouldn't bother going just for the plate, it was going to cost me over 60 quid and take me almost 11 hours to get there. If it was a promotion play-off, trophy or championship match then maybe. Not unless you made it a mini 'tour' and maybe included a few friendlies in Scotland and some serious drinking!

pigeonmeister
-9th February 2006, 12:52
Originally posted by rory
What Gav said.

Try doing a full competitive Open season when based in Edinburgh, or for that matter Aberdeen (ask Moby about this!).

Fair enough- I do take things for granted living only between 1-2.5 hours drive away from the Bristol, Nationals, Welsh, Leicester and (obviously) the Birmingham. It's not even me who has to go to Aberdeen!

I still think that if you are representing yourself, and taking all the plaudits and ranking points yourself, then you have to do everything on your own back. If you are representing an institution then they should help you as much as they can. It is the cost, not the distance or length of journey that I would object to covering.

rory
-9th February 2006, 12:58

I still think that if you are representing yourself, and taking all the plaudits and ranking points yourself, then you have to do everything on your own back. If you are representing an institution then they should help you as much as they can. It is the cost, not the distance or length of journey that I would object to covering.

Absolutely. The Uni *should* be paying as much as possible. Glasgow Uni didn't when I was there - and that's why I did very little BUSA fencing for them.

nessyfencer
-9th February 2006, 13:07
Originally posted by rory
What Gav said.

Exactly! I am getting ready for a drive from Fraserburgh (1.5 hours travelled already before leaving Aberdeen) down to Liverpool tomorrow.

And on Gav's point, there is a youth hostel in Aberdeen which I believe to be very nice (although have never stayed there). At 12ish per night you get a comfy bed, internet access, TV rooms, a full working kitchen (more costs down, bring your own food) and loads more facilities. Personally I enjoy staying in hostels when away for competitions.

randomsabreur
-9th February 2006, 13:26
Yeah, but for a sensibly priced train fare you need to book about 1 month in advance, and know exactly when you will be returning. Open return costs 100+ and you do not know your opponents far enough in advance (1 wk in advance unless first round, probably 2 weeks for 1st round) you cannot get the cheap fares. At least with opens you know when they are for certain as from the date that the entry form is supplied, and can, with organisation, get the cheapest fares (which are cheap to be fair).

But, try getting a cheap ticket 1 wk before travel - you can't. Say you are university of London, and Exeter is playing Aberdeen. You know you will have to go to one of the two, but can't book either until the result is in (probably thurs)

Gav
-9th February 2006, 13:43
RS,

You forget that these are students - wIth access to a Young Persons Railcard. You get a decent discount with this that allows you to book last minute and get a reasobale fare. Us Oldies just have to make do. Don't forget that I used to work for the railway companies. If anyone wants some tips on getting cheap fares - I'm your man. I miss my staff pass - free travel, no hanging around with the hoi polloi - those were the days.

randomsabreur
-9th February 2006, 14:00
I also have a Young Person's railcard (u25 still!) so am aware of the difference they make

I would comment that 1/3 off 100 is still 66!

I looked for trains from London to Aberdeen (Skippy is Surrey Uni), for 1 month in advance (i.e. random pick) Minimum price return available (2 singles as cheaper) came to 100 (40 + 60) That is 1 month in advance. 1 week in advance would leave you with very little choice, and the point remains that 1/3 off a ridiculous sum may still be a ridiculous sum! There were singles for 14.50, but were not available for a train one month in advance as I have the distinct feeling that there are about 2 per train of these (like the Ryanair headline fares)

Gav
-9th February 2006, 14:16
Ahhh I could go on at great length about all of this. You are, in essence, correct and wrong all at the same time.

Gav's top tip number 1

When looking for a rail fare split the journey into main and local lines. London - Aberdeen (ABD) is split into 2 halves. Kings Cross - Edinburgh (EDB) and EDB - ABD. Get the best fares on both halves and apply your discounts (if appropriate). Invariably cheaper. There are other tricks I can relate, born of experience and inside knowledge, but I suspect that no one could be bothered to: apply them, read a long essay on why privitisation was a very bad idea and/or other things to do with getting a decent fare.

I am sure a few things have changed but as I still have contacts within the industry - it appears that not much has.

Skippy
-9th February 2006, 14:22
Originally posted by Gav
Gav's top tip number 1

When looking for a rail fare split the journey into main and local lines. London - Aberdeen (ABD) is split into 2 halves. Kings Cross - Edinburgh (EDB) and EDB - ABD. Get the best fares on both halves and apply your discounts (if appropriate). Invariably cheaper.

Cheers Gav, will have to look out for that one if we're going away...

But i'm getting the impression we'll all be lucky to get 1 weeks notice about anything to do with this...?!? :confused:

nessyfencer
-9th February 2006, 14:24
In case this is any help...

http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/web/site/Hostels/Aberdeen.asp

Skippy
-9th February 2006, 14:29
Cheers Nessy, we have a travelodge very close. (www.travelodge.co.uk)

Aer
-9th February 2006, 17:50
Looking at the busa website - they have the Championship knockout folder created, and the Trophy one.

No plate yet.

Championship is the main one
Plate is the one Aberdeen is in...
Trophy is the 2nd team competition

is that right?

pigeonmeister
-10th February 2006, 09:25
Originally posted by Aer
Looking at the busa website - they have the Championship knockout folder created, and the Trophy one.

No plate yet.

Championship is the main one
Plate is the one Aberdeen is in...
Trophy is the 2nd team competition

is that right?

Yes- it's not so much that the Trophy (I think used to be called the shield) is a 2nd team comp. It is that the championship is a 1st team only comp. You get some good 1st teams in the trophy- you can win your league and stil be in the trophy (plus teams like Oxford 2nds are a good team)- when we won we had to beat Edinburgh 1sts in the semi and UEA in the final.

The trophy and championship finals are always fenced in Birmingham- which has been useful in the past but we will have to see if it will matter this year!

The chamionship will be very close this year- Bristol probably just favourites.

randomsabreur
-10th February 2006, 12:24
Actually they're in Sheffield this year, at the EIS.

I've been invited to ref!

R

Maxim
-10th February 2006, 13:10
Busa seems to have changed the rules slightly for this season.

Championship remains the same. Shield is replaced by trophy and is restricted to division 1 teams only (used to be top teams from 2 as well, now more teams from 1st divisions qualify). Plate is introduced for top 2nd division teams.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

pigeonmeister
-10th February 2006, 13:53
Originally posted by randomsabreur
Actually they're in Sheffield this year, at the EIS.

I've been invited to ref!

R

"Please note that the Championship semi finals and the Championship, shield and trophy finals will take place at the English Institute of Sport, Sheffield as part of the BUSA Indoor Finals weekend."

Your absolutely right....

Probably for the best- I am sure that the sports hall at Brum is getting darker and darker! Sheff looks a great venue- why isn't there a Sheffield Open?

What I am not totaly confused about is that the Trophy appears to have replaced the Shield. Indeed the Shield is not mentioned in any of the leagues as something you can qualify for- it just doesn't exist. Yet the final for the Shield is listed as the same day as the Trophy and Championship. Smells like a cock up to me.

Andy
-12th February 2006, 17:20
This year there IS a Sheffield Open, it's at the Institute, on the weekend of the 24th/25th June.

Entry forms will be available by the end of the month, but if you want to make an early enquiry, you can email me or PM me using the buttons on this forum.

Hope to see you all there.

Andy ;)

Another fencer
-12th February 2006, 19:14
The original schedule (as published in something like season information) was for a Championship (All premier, winners of conference 1, as long as they are 1st teams) and a Shield (best non-winners of conference 1 and winners of conference 2 as long as they were 1st teams) and a Trophy (best 2nd teams).

However there was a BUSA maillout back in December where they redid the whole thing so that the Championship remains the same but the Shield is merged with the Trophy (which makes sense since the Trophy has more points than the Shield) and allows 2nd teams to compete equally with 1st teams. Bad news for weaker 2nd teams who dont get their own comp and for 1st teams that no longer qualify since there were 2nd teams above them qualifying for the Trophy.

You should rely on the information posted on the website league and knockout fixtures over other stuff BUT I wonder if the winners of the conference 2 leagues who are at present listed as being participants in a Plate, will not actually end up in the Trophy. This is because there are 14 participants at present listed for the Trophy and adding in the two plate teams would take us to the logical 16 teams. Also for the knockout rounds no plate is listed. Ah well, no doubt we get more info this coming week.

Maxim
-13th February 2006, 00:34
You should rely on the information posted on the website league and knockout fixtures over other stuff BUT I wonder if the winners of the conference 2 leagues who are at present listed as being participants in a Plate, will not actually end up in the Trophy. This is because there are 14 participants at present listed for the Trophy and adding in the two plate teams would take us to the logical 16 teams.

Actually there are 16 teams, not 14: 4 from Midlands, 2 from Northern A, 2 from Northern B + loser of the championship playoff, 1 from Scottish, 3 from South-Eastern, 3 from Western (total = 16)

Maxim
-16th February 2006, 11:07
Most of the first round matches of championship and trophy are now published on the BUSA website

Another fencer
-16th February 2006, 11:54
Hey Max, shouldnt you (ULU) be in the Championship not Imperial? You have better indicators than they do.

Maxim
-16th February 2006, 12:09
Unfortunately the result between the teams with equal points has the priority over the indicator. We lost 125-127 against Imperial. A bit of hard luck.

Nick_C
-16th February 2006, 12:41
Originally posted by Maxim
Most of the first round matches of championship and trophy are now published on the BUSA website
A link would be great - i've just spent 20 minutes searcing through the busa website with no avail. Except several pages stating that the KO draws *will* be published shortly.

Either i've missed them, or they were up, and were then taken down again.

Skippy
-16th February 2006, 12:44
Hopefully (if this works) they're here:

http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/fencing_cups.asp

Nick_C
-16th February 2006, 12:48
Ah thank you. i just found it the same time :S

Usefully, they're not accessible from the fencing section of the busa website...

Edit: We've got Cam 1sts!!

pigeonmeister
-17th February 2006, 09:31
I assume that Oxford have a bye because they drew Manchester, who conceded a walkover in the league and so are not allowed to compete.

As far I understand it Birmingham will fence the winner of the Northern play-off between Liverpool and Leeds.

Another fencer
-17th February 2006, 09:54
When is the Northern play off taking place? Or has it already occurred?

Nick_C
-17th February 2006, 12:12
I assume that Oxford have a bye because they drew Manchester, who conceded a walkover in the league and so are not allowed to compete.

As far I understand it Birmingham will fence the winner of the Northern play-off between Liverpool and Leeds.

I think it's more likely to be Liverpool vs Loughborough.

Play-off matches took place in late March -early May last year

*edit: and it would be Manchester playing the winner, except they've been automaticall relegated for conceding a walk over

Another fencer
-17th February 2006, 14:08
Nick, not the play-off for promotion, but the play-off between the winner of Northern 1A and 1B to see who gets the Championship place and who gets the Trophy place. Also whoever gets Championship place will play off with Lufbra for promo to Premiership. This is holding up the announcement of some Trophy and one Championship match.

pigeonmeister
-17th February 2006, 14:19
I can't see any way of it not being Birmingham versus Leeds or Liverpool. They are the only teams not listed who are eligle for the champ's.

Are the first named teams at home?

Another fencer
-17th February 2006, 14:22
First named teams have always been at home before. And see my post above for clarification of Nick_C's point.

silvercross
-17th February 2006, 14:23
What about Manchester?

silvercross
-17th February 2006, 14:24
Never mind. I should read these things more thoroughly...

silly me....

silvercross
-17th February 2006, 14:25
BTW, Northern playoff is this coming Wednesday. We're hosting Leeds, or so our Squad Captain has been told.

silvercross
-17th February 2006, 15:43
OK, what I understand would be the following:

Liverpool v. Leeds in one of the promotion play off (Northern League)

Winner goes to Championship (v. Birmingham) AND has to have a promotions play-off v.Loughborough (more than likely the week before Championship). Winner of promotions play-off advances to Premier League.

Loser of Liverpool v. Leeds goes to Trophy, v. as-of yet-unknown.

Loser of final promotions play-off stays in div. 1.

Very drawn out...:confused:

Nick_C
-21st February 2006, 12:27
lol. i think we should request that busa make it more complicated next year.

silvercross
-21st February 2006, 16:08
Shhhhh!!

They might hear you! Then we'll have to fence the runners up of the french university league on alternate full-moon tuesdays! :)

gbm
-21st February 2006, 16:28
Originally posted by silvercross
Shhhhh!!

They might hear you! Then we'll have to fence the runners up of the french university league on alternate full-moon tuesdays! :)

In an entirely different University, preferably on the Moon.

silvercross
-22nd February 2006, 08:28
Cool!

Think of the flunges sabreurs could get away with with that gravity!

Sadly, fleches would be seen a mile away...

Maxim
-23rd February 2006, 10:15
The full draw is now on the website

Another fencer
-23rd February 2006, 11:35
What was the final result between Liverpool and Leeds? I know that Liverpool won because they are in the Championship.

Bambi
-23rd February 2006, 12:02
I see that the mighty Deen men's team have made it to the final against Surrey and we didn't even have any DE to do. Makes my life so much easier. Can't wait!!! :)

Also anyone from Leeds Uni here preferebly from the womens team?? If so can they PM me so we can discuss the match next week up in the cold north.

Cheers

Indiana
-23rd February 2006, 12:05
in an absolute nail biter of a match (and i only saw the final few epee bouts) the Liverpool lads fenced their socks off to win 133-126, was a fantastic match by all accounts with both teams doing exceptionally well.

pigeonmeister
-23rd February 2006, 13:22
Well done Liverepool- Sounds like a belter of a match!

Silvercross- Look forward to visiting the fair city of liverpool next week- any idea of what time and where we can park? In fact it might be useful if you could PM me your captain's number.

cheers

PM (Brummie captain)

silvercross
-23rd February 2006, 14:19
Thanks, pigeonmeister.

It was every bit as tense as Indiana put it (she is our club Captain, by the way. I am merely a web-lackey :grin: ) . Had to switch venues in the middle of the epee match to accommodate a women's aerobics session :mad: But credit to the Leeds lads. It was a fantastic match.

BUSA has fantastically once again not put a starting time, But I reckon it's the same as usual (2:00pm starting time). I'll go ahead and PM you our Men's Captain's number so you can get in touch wiht him about it.

Kepster
-23rd February 2006, 15:45
Originally posted by Bambi
I see that the mighty Deen men's team have made it to the final against Surrey and we didn't even have any DE to do. Makes my life so much easier. Can't wait!!! :)

Also anyone from Leeds Uni here preferebly from the womens team?? If so can they PM me so we can discuss the match next week up in the cold north.

Cheers

If you speak to Hannah at Aberdeen then she knows one of the Leeds girls - small world really...

silvercross
-23rd February 2006, 17:04
Nick_C,

Do you know when we have to fence you guys (or if we have to) for the promotion?

This whole promotion thing is really confusing... :dizzy:

pigeonmeister
-24th February 2006, 08:20
You will have to fence Loughborough- but seeing as Manchester are automatically relegated, whoever wins that one will be immediately promoted. Saves people a trip.

silvercross
-24th February 2006, 10:35
Would be nice if BUSA put it somewhere on their webpage...

Hopefully this match will be sometime after the championship, as opposed to smack in the middle of it...

pigeonmeister
-24th February 2006, 10:47
It will be after the championship.

We fenced Newcastle in last years promotion play off- we fenced them on the 1st of June- so exams (and thus having a home or away tie) can play a role in selection.

Nick_C
-24th February 2006, 12:56
Nick_C,

Do you know when we have to fence you guys (or if we have to) for the promotion?

This whole promotion thing is really confusing... :dizzy:

could be as early as march/april, could be as late as June Pidge says. The only thing that you can bank on with Busa, is that you can't bank on when things will happen. ;)

silvercross
-24th February 2006, 14:22
Hmmmm....

Any chance you guys at Loughborough might be willing to agree to a date a little earlier than June, if both teams agree to it?

Just so that we don't end up having to do it over exam time or too close to it.

I'd even suggest in the off chance we don't make it to the finals of the championship (if we do, it's winner take all! Ghiarrrr!!! :grin: Optimism has to come from someone in the squad) to have the match on the date of the finals of the championship and at the same venue. ('course i'd have to ask our club and team captains about that). Would make for a good outing... but i'm just plotting away as usual...

Nick_C
-24th February 2006, 17:48
yeah, we certainly could do that. i have no idea how busa decides who's at home and who's away, but we definitely could meet up halfway at Sheffield, if the BUSA people think there'd be enough space etc. Plus it would be more fun!

in the mean time, let's concentrate on our championship matches!! Good luck against B'ham! We've got Cambridge firsts...away...at midday... (we've have 6 away matches and 2 home matches this season in busa... so it really wouldn't surprise me to end up having our next one away :( ) lol

silvercross
-26th February 2006, 11:30
Away matches are a pain. Six in one season seems a bit cruel. We've been a bit more fortunate and gone 50-50 with home/away matches, but on the away matches it's always 'run to scramble a team that can travel!' :dizzy:

We'll wait for the championship to get under way and then see what happens with the promotion.

Good Luck with Cambridge! :) Show them Conan's rule of steel!

pigeonmeister
-2nd March 2006, 12:03
Last 8 of the BUSA Championship (free draw in semi's)

University of Nottingham Men's
Oxford University Men's

University of Birmingham Men's
University of St Andrews Men's

University of Cambridge Men's
University of Durham Men's

University of Bristol Men's
University College London Men's

All I can say is thank god we got the home draw!

Kenber, Brenda T, Nelis, Brenda R, Rosowsky, Barnett, Moncreiff, Greensides, West......to name a few :o:

JulianRose
-2nd March 2006, 12:16
Do you have the women's draw by any chance?

pigeonmeister
-2nd March 2006, 13:11
University of Durham Women's 1st
Oxford University Women's 1st

Northumbria University Women's 1st
Edinburgh University Women's 1st

University of Cambridge Women's 1st
University of Newcastle Upon Tyne Women's 1st

University of Bath Women's 1st
University of Bristol Women's 1st

I'd say Durham are favourites, followed by Bath.

All draws are here:

Bambi
-2nd March 2006, 13:30
Leeds didnt make it up to Aberdeen, they were scared by the snow. Looks like we will be re-scheduling for monday giving the winning team one day to prepare for the next round.

And if it is us we are going to Liverpool!! What fun!!

Another fencer
-2nd March 2006, 13:39
The Trophy is now the main non-Championship tournament. It has the following line-up in the L8:

Men

Lancaster
Glasgow

Oxford 2nds
Cambridge 2nds

ULU
UEA

UKC
Southampton

The women's is as follows:

Liverpool
Either Aberdeen or Leeds

Warwick
York

KCL
UW Swansea

Exeter
Queen Mary London

Nick_C
-2nd March 2006, 13:42
AnotherFencer, do you fence for the 1sts or 2nds?

silvercross
-2nd March 2006, 14:36
:bash: 'Ouch'... Coulda sworn there was a smiley with crutches and bandages here somehere...

Thanks for the visit yesterday Pigeonmeister. Take it you guys made it back before the crowd started to rumble into Anfield for the match (and the snow. That's a once in a couple of years things here in Merseyside. People go mad when they see it. It's like the blind people from Day of the Triffids...) Good luck on the next round. Glad to hear you don't have to travel north for the match.

Nick C, sorry to hear about the loss. You guys wanna try and see if we go ahead with the 'plan'? I'll go ahead and mention it officially to our AU director to see what he says...

Nick_C
-2nd March 2006, 14:41
do you think that Sheffield will be able to accommodate us?

I did ask the guys yesterday, and they said they didn't mind going to Liverpool. We'll see what happens, anyway :S

Any idea how they pick who is home and who is away for the promotion playoffs?

pigeonmeister
-2nd March 2006, 15:04
:bash: 'Ouch'... Coulda sworn there was a smiley with crutches and bandages here somehere...

Thanks for the visit yesterday Pigeonmeister. Take it you guys made it back before the crowd started to rumble into Anfield for the match (and the snow. That's a once in a couple of years things here in Merseyside. People go mad when they see it. It's like the blind people from Day of the Triffids...) Good luck on the next round. Glad to hear you don't have to travel north for the match.

Cheers mate- nice days fencing and the trip home was weirdly easy considering we were travelling on the M6 between 4.45 and 6.30pm. Did it under 2 hours, looking in sympathy (sort of!) at the horrendous traffic going into Liverpool for the match. Didn't catch the snow either! Nobody offered us a cheap laptop in the car park either!

You got a cracking bunch of loads at the club, thanks for the pizza and good luck against Loughborough and hopefuly see you in the premiership next season. Good luck in your 'triangular' series with Manchester and Leeds (or was it Lancaster?) as well.

Really quite glad we don't have to treck to Scotland given the recent weather. :dizzy:

Farrago
-2nd March 2006, 15:57
Thanks Keele, (if any of you are on here) was a fun match!

Hmm now it means I have to try to find a team willing to travel to Warwick now though. Train is looking like being about 4hours and 2changes:(

Is there anyone from Warwick on here?

silvercross
-2nd March 2006, 16:42
Hey Nick,

Our AU director said he was OK with it. I've just e-mailed BUSA, and hopefully they will answer us quickly about it (Really, I'm not laughing). Wouldn't really want it to be done in June (like last year), and I've pointed out that it might be a problem for students given the time of the year.

In any case, we lose nothing by trying...

No one offered you a 'discount' laptop, pigeonmeister? They must have moved business to Anfield for the day...:grin:

Good thing England won...

pigeonmeister
-3rd March 2006, 10:53

No one offered you a 'discount' laptop, pigeonmeister? They must have moved business to Anfield for the day...:grin:

Good thing England won...

Or they might have been 'sourcing' the laptops whilst the police had there hands full at Anflield!

.....Just won!

edwin
-9th March 2006, 12:33
How did King's beat Swansea 161-131 (http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/cup06.asp?divisionid=5012), in the Women's Trophy. If this incorrect, who did win and what was the final score?

JEH

Bambi
-9th March 2006, 12:38
That is indeed a good question!!

Maybe they added a bonus round for the extra points!!

How did other uni's do yesterday?? Our womens team beat Leeds and now have to travel to Liverpool this weekend for the L8.

Nick_C
-9th March 2006, 13:05
possibly a typo? 116?

kalivor
-9th March 2006, 14:42
Originally posted by edwin
How did King's beat Swansea 161-131 (http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/cup06.asp?divisionid=5012), in the Women's Trophy. If this incorrect, who did win and what was the final score?

JEH
King's certainly won -- my girlfriend (who is on the King's team) told me she was outscored 6-5 in the final bout, but they still won.

161 must be a typo, though ... I would think that it should be 135. That said, I don't know the final score, or how someone would accidentally type "61" instead of "35"

In any case, the next round is King's vs. Exeter.

edwin
-9th March 2006, 15:21
Is the next round confirmed now. As the website is showing the semis as free draw.

JEH

Bambi
-9th March 2006, 16:22
Surely the draw wont be done till all matches are complete as its a free draw unlike previous rounds where its a certain path.

Bagpipes
-9th March 2006, 17:34
Lancaster Men just pipped Glasgow 128 to 127 in the trophy. Great match to watch, Lancaster went into the final bout need to stop Glasgow from scoring more than 2 points. So many cheers for floor hits!

Trip to Oxford 2nds now. Hey how bad can it be...

silvercross
-11th March 2006, 15:25
Liverpool women are through. It was a great match against Aberdeen. Credit to them for making it all the way down here (specially after the whole weird thing with their match against Leeds).

So it is King's College, then?

fencingmaster
-11th March 2006, 18:25
How did King's beat Swansea 161-131,

I think it was 141-131

Maxim
-11th March 2006, 19:36
Still makes no sence, 135 is the maximum you can score.

Bambi
-13th March 2006, 13:59
Congrats to Liverpool, it was a good match.

We had a fun drive back up the road once we eventuall got out if Liverpool!!

There were no signs for M6 north, just sounth!!

Finally got back at 1.30am. Kinda glad they lost as I wouldnt want to drive them down to London next week!!

silvercross
-13th March 2006, 15:58
And on behalf of the ladies, we say glad you got there before the snowfall began! :)

We woke up to about 3 inches in the city centre! :) Fantastic for me (snow is a myth in my country), but not for anyone trying to drive in or out of the city...:(

Maxim
-25th March 2006, 20:12
Mens Shield - Surrey
Mens Trophy - London
Womens Trophy - Exeter
Mens Championship - Oxford or St Andrews
Womens Championship - ?

Another fencer
-26th March 2006, 02:23
Men's Championship Oxford
Women's Championship Bath

MVP Men: Paul Taylor (Oxford)
MVP Women: Natalia Wieckowska (Bath)

silvercross
-26th March 2006, 11:00
Well done to everyone yesterday at the fencing finals. :)

Some cracking fencing from all the clubs represented.

Would have been nice to have had an armourer present, though... would have saved me some time and let me see some more of the Liverpool Ladies fencing! :tongue:

Maxim
-26th March 2006, 11:11
Correction:

Mens Shield: Aberdeen

Illandra
-26th March 2006, 20:12
Kings definetely won, good match to watch though