PDA

View Full Version : Calendar

Mischa
-21st April 2003, 15:47
It would be useful if they calendar showed the dates - and final entry dates - of fencing competitions.

What do you think?

Hudson
-21st April 2003, 15:49
Sounds like a good idea. Have to see if anything comes of it.
Would make life easier.

Jambo
-21st April 2003, 15:49
Very useful. Preferably with an automated email saying "get it sorted NOW"!!!. Or I am the only lazy one here?!

Hudson
-21st April 2003, 15:51
No sounds like a great idea, even better if it could entery you automaticly save alot of time.:)

wingnutLP
-21st April 2003, 17:30
Good call, will see what I can do...

Anyone know where the most comprehensive and up to date lists would be??

Jambo
-21st April 2003, 18:10
The BFA website surely?

kingkenny
-21st April 2003, 18:46
I could get them off a friend and see what I can do.

More boring data entry for me then.......:upset:

Mischa
-21st April 2003, 18:53
Originally posted by Jambo
The BFA website surely?
Someone really needs to sort out that website. It's pants.

Hudson
-21st April 2003, 21:21
It could do with an overhaul.
A bit more user friendly and a personal touch to it.

Boo Boo
-22nd April 2003, 10:12
Mischa, I believe they would be happy if you volunteered to sort it out for them ;)

I think that their website is pretty low on the BFAs list of priorities (especially if it came down to spending money to do it).

Still, I think that overhauling it would make a great school project (GCSE/A/AS Level) for someone: its not technically challenging, but could be done "properly" by applying old fashioned software engineering principles (i.e. requirements gathering, system design, graphics design, testing etc.etc.). Could get someone a good grade and the BFA a great new website...

Any fencers out there looking for a project for their computing course?

Just a thought,
Boo
(who left school a LONG time ago...)

Mischa
-22nd April 2003, 10:16
Yeh, I'd be happy to sort it out but it'd have to be after my exams (so after June 17th). But I'm sure they could get a professional in to do it.

Boo Boo
-22nd April 2003, 10:23
Professionals tend to cost money and I guess that the BFA would rather spend the money on things more directly related to the sport (i.e. grants, funding etc.etc.).

Ideally, I would imagine that they would like a professional to volunteer their services for free. Unfortunately most such professionals are usually too busy working or running their own business (and sometimes fenbcing too) to spare the time.

I wonder if the BFA would agree to a suitably supervised student redoing their website... Don't think that they would have anything to loose (because they would always have the old website).

The BFA website could even have a link to this forum... :)

Boo

kingkenny
-22nd April 2003, 10:28
Will start work on the calendar today.
:)

Mischa
-22nd April 2003, 10:35
Boo

I might mock up a template and email it to them this afternoon :)

Boo Boo
-22nd April 2003, 10:40
Mischa

Don't let it distract you from other things (like exams and things) and don't put in too much work until you have spoken to the BFA (and get an idea of how receptive they are to the idea).

Boo

Mischa
-22nd April 2003, 10:43
OK, I won't.

Boo Boo
-22nd April 2003, 10:45
:)

Boo
(sorry - its a sign of old age - I worry about people...)

Tech
-27th April 2003, 05:41
For general information:

1) The calendar is published on the BFA website and is regularly updated.

2) Members can subscribe (free) to an email service where any update are sent to them directly.

3) The information is only as good as the Organisers send to the BFA - but wherever known a link is given to the Event Website.

4) We have been working on a new website for about a year now and are approaching the stage when it will go public, as soon as I can I will post the URL to this forum. Initially it will exist in parallel with the current site and then the current site will vanish to be replaced by the new one.

;)

Sasori
-29th April 2003, 15:36
Hey been looking at the new calendar. Like how it automatically puts everyones B'day on it! Not so keen on the fact it displays ages! Not that I'm sensitive or owt!

wingnutLP
-29th April 2003, 15:43
You can hide your age if you are really worried!!:o

Aoife
-29th April 2003, 17:56
Cool. *starts noting down birthdays so she doesn't forget anybody's*

bafco
-4th May 2003, 09:26
Originally posted by Mischa
Someone really needs to sort out that website. It's pants.

It is being sorted out. A new design is in pilot with most of the pages done.

The new design should include a front page calendar that shows you what is happening in advance.