PDA

View Full Version : novice/intermediate fencing competitions

fencing.opens
-11th March 2006, 13:58
hey guys and gals. i am a keen novice fencer looking for novice/intermediate competitions to take part in. reading the newcastle competition, i am willing to travel but the earliest train wouldnt allow me to get their by check in time at 9am.

please please please can some universities have some novice competitions for me to enter? especially near the london area. or somewhere about.

if anyone knows about novice competitions in any weapons , please let me know. thank you thank you.

Rdb811
-11th March 2006, 16:21
Surrey Intermediates / Novices is next week end (see thread) and there should be London Section events in the next few months.

Nick_C
-13th March 2006, 16:51
plus the LIUF in June... details will appear here i'm sure fairly shortly. Are you a student?

Check out the thread from last year.

Also, there are plenty of smaller opens you could enter...erm, york, wrexham - look on the Calendar on britishfencing.com

D'Artignan
-13th March 2006, 17:02
Yeah, you could enter York, but whether you should or not is a different matter...

fencing.opens
-13th March 2006, 23:13
the surrey novice/intermediates is only for those in surrey or those near or something about the london river somehow i don't seem to qualify for it. LIUF is a mix event for both boys and girls. so none actually specific about novice/intermediate competitions.
im actually asking about the competitions like warwick novice competitons.
hmm.........
pretty hard to find. thank you for all your help
just hoping that i will be able to get into novice comp before i actually finish the 2 years and move into 3 years of training.

cheers all
p.s. still let me know if u happen to find anything.
:)

Rdb811
-14th March 2006, 00:02
Surrey includes SW London including Southwark and Croydon - you can still enter but can't win anything if you live outside.

Nick_C
-14th March 2006, 23:34
Originally posted by fencing.opens
the surrey novice/intermediates is only for those in surrey or those near or something about the london river somehow i don't seem to qualify for it. LIUF is a mix event for both boys and girls. so none actually specific about novice/intermediate competitions.
im actually asking about the competitions like warwick novice competitons.
hmm.........
pretty hard to find. thank you for all your help
just hoping that i will be able to get into novice comp before i actually finish the 2 years and move into 3 years of training.

cheers all
p.s. still let me know if u happen to find anything.
:)

OK then, specific to your request about novice and intermediate competitions only... (but u still haven't said if you're a student or not... boy/girl... etc)

Warwick Uni hold one about October time (foil only i think)

Univ Reading and Univ Surrey i believe hold them (foil and epee only resp) around Nov i think.

Univ of Keele (epee and sabre only) in March.

None are mixed. Why is mixed an issue anyway? Also, as you can see, all competitions were earlier this year. Newcastle is later on - why couldn't you go up the night before? "Novice" is defined differently by each competition anyway.

If you're welsh, there's a Welsh intermediate foil competition every year, as well as an intermediate sabre one. Depending on your age, if you're under 20, under 17, under 12 .. whatever, there will be different competitions available.

if you happen to live in Leicestershire, which I currently do, there is an intermediate foil competition coming up. Etc etc. Anyway, my point is that you should probably contact your local county and region to find out specific details of competitions, or ask your coach for more details. hope that helps.

SuburbanMyth
-16th March 2006, 14:54
Warwick Uni runs a National Novices Competition every year at the start of November. It's foil only, and anyone can enter if they're a university student and have been fencing for less than two years. If it's the sort of thing you're looking for, email the club or PM me closer to the time, and we'll send you the details :) .

Shaolin Monkey
-17th March 2006, 18:21
Newcastle's competition is now cancelled but it is likely that it will run next year, I will put it forward to next year's committee (especially if I get on there this time) that the start time is put back to 10 with allowances to those who make their excuses (promise that they will get there by the scheduled start of the first round of poules) by phone on the day, or by giving details of their arrival time with their entry forms, also I will look into getting small local hotels to subsidise people attending the comp for the weekend if this would meet with people's approval.
If the competition is running next year we will get out the details a lot sooner next year.
Monkey

Shaolin Monkey
-17th March 2006, 18:24
Is there any way that the individual universities hosting novice competitons could amalgamate the results from various novice competitions into some form of national university novice league as an incentive to keep university novice fencers fencing competitively. Probably a silly idea, but an idea at least.