PDA

View Full Version : LPJS Eton Foil

27ab1c
-19th March 2006, 17:04
Can I be the first to congratulate the organisers on a cracking tournament this year, at least based on our experience on Saturday.

The venue is a huge improvement (reminds me of my old school gym - NOT!);
The PA could be heard in all parts of the hall, including the balcony pistes;
The food at the 'Fencers' Break' cafe was good enough to rival Wrexham LPJS (a compliment, believe me);
There were prizes for the last 8 (in fact more, if you count handing out the medals from Nottingham);
The pool seedings/results were posted in two separate sites (although some pools were called before being posted);
Officials, in their colour-coded T-shirts were patient and helpful;
The event brochure, including piste/venue map was most useful.

My opinion is not clouded in the slightest by both my wife winning a raffle prize and my daughter a gold medal, but both these added to what would in any case have been an enjoyable experience for all of us.

Well done all involved!

Baldric
-19th March 2006, 17:08
Well done Ab1!!!!!!!!!

Eton is a tough LPJS to win!

Congratulations

The Great Four.
-19th March 2006, 17:46
I was at Eton, and too compliment the organisers for a well run event, and for procuring such a good venue. I am just wondering thoug whether anyone could tell me whether hits that occur on the buzzer (For the end of a period) are legal of out of time. I scored a lovely prime riposte like this and did not recieve the hit.
Being 7-5 down at the time, I wasn't pleased.
Thanks for all your help,
Max

Touché Turtle
-19th March 2006, 18:54
Agree with all compliments :) :thumbs_up .
All very well organised and sign posted. Was there a shortage of refs though? We had quite a few longish waits between rounds even though pistes were free. Made quite a long day as we (u11 girls) didn't finish til about 5.30 I suppose you never can have enough referees! All in all a lovely day, thank you very much.

PS What a great hall! Will look forward to the next Slough Open.. (Although will remember hiking boots for long trek between car park and hall..;) )

The Great Four.
-19th March 2006, 19:02
I am just wondering though whether anyone could tell me whether hits that occur on the buzzer (For the end of a period) are legal or out of time. I scored a lovely prime riposte like this and did not recieve the hit.
Max

Just edited it due to poor spelling and typing in the wrong word, sorry!

Baldric
-19th March 2006, 19:07
Originally posted by The Great Four.
I am just wondering though whether anyone could tell me whether hits that occur on the buzzer (For the end of a period) are legal or out of time. I scored a lovely prime riposte like this and did not recieve the hit.
Max

Just edited it due to poor spelling and typing in the wrong word, sorry!

The way I was taught to referee this circumstance was to imagine that the scoring apparatus turned itself off as soon as the clock reached zero.

A buzzer is an audible reminder to the ref or timekeeper, AFTER the clock reaches zero, so I think the ref was right. (Sorry).

If halt is called for some other reason, a simple fencing action that was started before the halt, and completed after the halt, does count, assuming that the halt was not called for an offence by the scoring fencer.

However, I stand to be corrected!

The Great Four.
-19th March 2006, 19:13
Thanks.
I'm not sure whether it was on zero or after zero, so i'll take your word for it as i have no idea whatsoever.:shrug:
Thanks again,
Max.

P.S. When using the phrase 'on the buzzer', i meant the ref had called for time. But my acceptance above still stands.

Baldric
-20th March 2006, 00:04
Originally posted by The Great Four.
Thanks.
I'm not sure whether it was on zero or after zero, so i'll take your word for it as i have no idea whatsoever.:shrug:
Thanks again,
Max.

P.S. When using the phrase 'on the buzzer', i meant the ref had called for time. But my acceptance above still stands.

Hi G4

One of the stranger rules of fencing refereeing is that the ref is deemed to have called "Halt" at the time when he/she SHOULD have called "Halt", not when they actually did call it.

At the end of a period, what normally happens is this. Ref is watching clock. Clock approaches zero. When clock reaches zero, ref takes deep breath, and calls "Halt". The actual moment of halt occured when then the clock reached zero, not when the ref finished saying the word. The breath and the statement occupy a second or so of "non fencing time".

It can be a real b*gger if you score in that second or so!

Again - this is my understanding - I will happily be corrected by those more knowledgeable!

pinkelephant
-20th March 2006, 08:12
You are quite right.

At time,with a posh box, as the clock hits zero it cuts out the box, so it isn't an issue - without a box with a clock the referee has to judge whether the hit actually LANDED before or after the clock hitting zero.

With other "halts", such as for corps a corps, halt is deemed to have been called when the incident occurred - so, for example, no hit counts if it arrives AFTER corps a corps actually occurred, regardless of whether the referee was in the middle of a coughing fit and couldn't actually get the word out at the time.

AMC
-20th March 2006, 11:49
A very good competition, loads of space, good hall, nice floor, great food.

I only reffed two last eights in the U13 girls, but both bouts were very good and the winner of one of them, then won the gold. The standard of some of the girls in the last eight was very good, nice footwork etc. Good for the future:) :) :)

The Great Four.
-20th March 2006, 18:56
Does anyone have the results for U15 Boys top 16? If so I would be much obliged if you were to put them up.
Thanks,
Max

Foilling Around
-20th March 2006, 19:47
Top 4 U15 boys were

1 Tom Hendrie
2 Edward Sibert
3 Steven Williams
3 Katriel Cohn-Gordon

Don't know the rest

Peaseblossom
-21st March 2006, 10:56
Very many thanks from all of us lot too!

'Cobweb' had a brilliant birthday on the Saturday - helped by the U-15 results and by Paul doing the assesment for his LPJS Young Ref accreditation. (Thank you again for that.) 'Moth' (the little armourer) had a good time too fixing and mending to his heart's content. We actually came back on the Sunday for more, because we don't live too far away and Cobweb was able to help out some more with the refereeing and Moth with yet more armouring.

Max, if you are who we think you are, I think Cobweb knows your result - he'll post a pm if we can work out how to do that.

:)

GRAY MOUSER
-21st March 2006, 11:27
The results can be found here. http://bbofencing.org/Eton%20LPJS.html

Another fencer
-21st March 2006, 14:46
From memory an example of when a halt does not cancel a valid hit is as follows: Halt called for a fencer stepping off the piste and where the final action of the fencer who has not stepped off the piste has begun prior to the call of halt, even though the hit may land after the halt, the hit remains valid.

However, the rule book is clear in that hits, even if coup de lance, that land after time (eg. when clock has run out) do not count. The logic being that in the first situation, the ref is calling halt for the action of the person hit, but should not penalise the person hitting, as long as the action had already started, while in the latter case, the halt is a neutral event (and with proper boxes would not register.)

The Great Four.
-21st March 2006, 16:42
Thanks for the results, but came much lower than I thought!
Am looking forward to that PM,
Max

Winwaloe
-31st March 2006, 14:16
The walk from carpark to hall is a triump of design over common sense! (as is the winding path once you have got the other side of the gate)

Winwaloe
-31st March 2006, 14:16
The walk from carpark to hall is a triump of design over common sense! (as is the winding path once you have got the other side of the gate)