PDA

View Full Version : Please help us!

kingkenny
-21st March 2006, 09:26
Dear Fencer,

We need your help! As part of our ongoing efforts to improve Leon Paul's products and services we are offering over £1000 worth of prizes for answering a 3 minute questionnaire. After filling in the questionnaire you will automatically be entered into our prize draw with the chance to win one of the following great prizes:

1st prize is a £100 gift voucher

2nd to 5th place will receive a pair of Hi-Tec Blades fencing shoes worth £62

The bonus club prize is a complete set of scoring apparatus worth over £700. The club will be drawn at random from the 20 fencing clubs with the most entries so make sure that you tell all of your club mates to answer the questionnaire so that your club has the best chance of winning.

The Questionnaire will run until Friday the 7th of April and prizes will be announced immediately after that on both www.leonpaul.com and www.leonpaulusa.com.

Click here to start:
http://leonpaulnews.com/survey/

kingkenny
-21st March 2006, 10:08
Feel free to post info on what you thought about the questions etc.

Touché Turtle
-21st March 2006, 12:00
Hmm
I tried it and answered all the questions. after I clicked the send button I got a 'page cannot be displayed' message, so no idea if it went or not!

As for Q2;
Who manufactures the best fencing equipment in the world?
Allstar
Uhlmann
Leon Paul
Negrini
PBT
Other:

Not fishing there, then!

Oh, and I found it tricky to choose between club-use breeches or 350 trackies, as I think you should do both!

Other than that, an ok survey, hope you get some interesting suggestions - let us all know if you get anything particularly useful/funny.

kingkenny
-21st March 2006, 18:05
Thanks for the input.

Sabre Dude
-21st March 2006, 18:27
Would we get points 4 sucking up 2 Leon Paul through the whole quiz lol?

Jules
-21st March 2006, 18:42
I got a message about not having answered question 14 however question 14 says

If so how much would be the maximum you would pay for an all day event, run SMOOTHLY with Metallic pistes for all of the DE’s and paid referees for all of the bouts?

and I hadn't said 'yes' to the previous question! re-wording or making question 14 not compulsory is required here I think...

gbm
-21st March 2006, 19:08
Q14 doesn't go up high enough anyway.
You could put the Bristol or Welsh entry fee up to £50-100 and people would say 'No way!'. Then look at the ranking points they'd lose, and people would still enter... albeit probably only 1/3 of the original number.
I'd pay £50 without grumbling IF it was not only 'well organised', but done to my exacting standards - pistes properly separated, proper runoff, spectators kept away from the middle of the piste, lots of referees, metallic pistes etc...

gbm
-21st March 2006, 19:14
PS Trackie bottoms not club breeches please - the number of people who have now bought breeches tells me the last thing we need is ANOTHER item of club kit for people to use for years and years... the trackie bottoms would encourage people to get their own!

okukatana
-21st March 2006, 22:14
i forgot to put something on the form whcih is a new product. i saw a few of these at the BYC's and cant find them on any makers website. its a lame jacket with a zip just above the arms so you can take the arms off and turn it into a foil lame. i think clubs would go for this as it owuld save them money

gbm
-21st March 2006, 22:21
The target at the groin is different... not only is the groin target only in foil, but the length along the sides should be different (longer in sabre).
How were these problems tackled on the lames you saw?
Good idea though.

Baldric
-21st March 2006, 22:47
Originally posted by gbm
Q14 doesn't go up high enough anyway.
You could put the Bristol or Welsh entry fee up to £50-100 and people would say 'No way!'. Then look at the ranking points they'd lose, and people would still enter... albeit probably only 1/3 of the original number.
I'd pay £50 without grumbling IF it was not only 'well organised', but done to my exacting standards - pistes properly separated, proper runoff, spectators kept away from the middle of the piste, lots of referees, metallic pistes etc...

I agree. I would certainly pay £40-£50 entry a few time a year for a really well run comp. Not for every one, perhaps, but for the cream. (Not sure about £100)

I would pay nearly that for a ticket to watch a premiership football match that only lasts 90 minutes.

gbm
-21st March 2006, 22:59
There will always be a place for the £10 county competition or regional. But to agree with Baldric who was agreeing with me (thereby neatly agreeing with myself ;) ), the 'cream of the crop' can be more expensive.

I don't think I'd enter Bristol et al for £100, but then I'm not very likely to get points there! And I agree it would be a bit pricey, just saying supply and demand and all that.
I'd pay £100 for an A-grade, if I was ever to improve so dramatically that I'd be allowed to enter one... :(

Lynne
-22nd March 2006, 12:37
If the Welsh were £50 a go, it would cost me £200 - £300 pounds to enter my lot. Aargh!

okukatana
-22nd March 2006, 18:36
i cant remember, its been to long. there must have been a away around it

The Great Four.
-22nd March 2006, 21:14
I agree with Touche Turtle. It depends on your preference. Do both.

gbm
-24th March 2006, 15:13
As somebody has pointed out, it might have been helpful to put a link in the email that was sent out, or to put a link on the LP homepage - people who don't read this forum have no way of answering!

nessyfencer
-24th March 2006, 23:22
Originally posted by gbm
As somebody has pointed out, it might have been helpful to put a link in the email that was sent out, or to put a link on the LP homepage - people who don't read this forum have no way of answering!

There was a link in the email that I got.

gbm
-25th March 2006, 00:22
I got a link to www.leonpaul.com , but no link to the survey. I can't find a link to the questionaire on the LP web site.

bufc99
-25th March 2006, 09:12
I can't see anything on the website but in my e-mail there was an image that said 'Click to start the questionnaire'. It was just above the 'Preferred supplier' bit at the bottom.

gbm
-25th March 2006, 19:42
Ah, probably an externally linked image that Opera won't open because externally linked images in emails tell spammers your email address works.

Foilling Around
-25th March 2006, 20:15
Originally posted by Lynne
If the Welsh were £50 a go, it would cost me £200 - £300 pounds to enter my lot. Aargh!

I agree with Lynne, if you were to make comp entries that expensive it would bankrupt some families with a number of talented offspring.

Baldric
-25th March 2006, 20:36
Originally posted by Foilling Around
I agree with Lynne, if you were to make comp entries that expensive it would bankrupt some families with a number of talented offspring.

Not sure how?

No one is talking about making all competitions cost that much. My suggestion was £40 - £50 a for a few comps a year - say 5 times a year per weapon. Even that was an "upper end" estimate.

Lets settle on £45 x 5 times = £225 per fencer. Say the talented family has 4 fencers in the bracket that might be entering that level of competition (and there are not many such families)

Thats £900 for that family, as opposed to the £280 - £300 that they would be paying now.

I agree that the extra is a lot of money, but its somewhat less than 2 season tickets for a minor premiership football team.

Any family that has 4 serious competitive fencers is already paying out a huge sum in fencing related costs. I don't see that everyone in the fencing community should continue to put up with low quality, so called elite events in order to keep this particular element of those costs down for five or six families.

Why not just hold opens in a field and cut the cost to a fiver?

Farrago
-30th March 2006, 21:30
Forgot to put this on the questionnaire and can't think where else to put it but here.

Would it be possible to introduce optional padding in the palm of gloves? I think it might reduce mobility and *feel* or control perhaps. The thing is I have a callous in the centre of my palm and occasionally draw blood if I fence for too long.

At the moment I use a dressing when I fence to stop it getting worse but am thinking about sewing extra padding into the glove.

This is probably just me being weird, and not common enough to cause a change in production though:tongue:

madfencer
-31st March 2006, 08:12
I never got the email! I just found out about the questionnaire from this site and there was a link to the questionnaire on the LP webiste! (on the homepage).

I couldn't decide between the club breeches to fit all or the 350N trackie bottoms. I clicked club breeches to fit all in the end but I think that LP should deffinately do both as they would both be very useful to most clubs :)

Touché Turtle
-31st March 2006, 09:26
Originally posted by Farrago
Forgot to put this on the questionnaire and can't think where else to put it but here.

Would it be possible to introduce optional padding in the palm of gloves? I think it might reduce mobility and *feel* or control perhaps. The thing is I have a callous in the centre of my palm and occasionally draw blood if I fence for too long.

At the moment I use a dressing when I fence to stop it getting worse but am thinking about sewing extra padding into the glove.

This is probably just me being weird, and not common enough to cause a change in production though:tongue:
I've got the same thing, so at least its not just you! :o:

madfencer
-31st March 2006, 10:38
*shudders* EWW!

Is there any way you can get that sorted or will it...erm...be there for life?! :dizzy:

you poor things!

MrP
-31st March 2006, 11:12
Anything to make rewiring an epee easier would be good.
Wire straighteners ? Self adhesive epee wires ?

randomsabreur
-31st March 2006, 11:24
The questions about transparent masks all assume you don't have one. I have one, so difficult to answer...

Johnbone
-1st April 2006, 18:51
I had an idea at glasgow today for the very big competitions would it be possible to plug a laptop into the box to speed up the whole processing time in engarde? surely simplish but would make life easier? :grin:

Sabre Dude
-10th April 2006, 12:32
Any results?

Foilling Around
-10th April 2006, 13:14
Originally posted by Farrago

I'd suggest that you are using the wrong size or shape of handle for your hand. You should not get that type of friction with your palm.

Farrago
-10th April 2006, 17:32
Foilling Around, you're probably right. How does one work out what size handle is best?

LP you could make a device for measuring hands!

I think it was foil that caused the initial problem. I use a pistol grip. I found adult handles too big so started using what I think was a handle for a size 3 foil. Unfortunately I had to use an adult nut bolt thingy (sorry can't remember the technical term, the bit that attaches the pistol grip to the blade)) so it stuck out somewhat and caused the initial blisters/blood. I then managed to get hold of a smaller bolt which doesn't stick out. I think (though could be wrong) that it is my epee grip that is causing the trouble now, but it's a small grip and I struggle to hold anything bigger.

One of my friends has callousing and only really does sabre so I'm not sure how that works. (I also do sabre but I'm sure my palm doesn't touch the grip).

Anyone know anything about grip sizing?

rory
-10th April 2006, 17:52
Some (typically beginning) sabreurs hold the weapon such that they're almost pommeling, with the pommel nut in the palm of their hand - maybe your friend is one of these?

As for your problems, a grip should be sized so that your thumb and forefinger should be up against the pad, and the body of the pistol fitting comfortably into your palm.

When you hold it, hold using the thumb and forefinger mostly - wrap the other fingers round but don't grip hard, as you won't have the "feeling of the blade" if you have a death grip.

You should be able to hold on to and control the blade using only forefinger and thumb - the other fingers are there for strong motions like parries and flicks.

I've been thinking a lot about this the last couple of days (thanks, 3CT!) - can you tell?

3 Card Trick
-11th April 2006, 13:45
Yes Rory I can.:grin: