PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth Games

The Great Four.
-21st March 2006, 18:52
I know these aren't Olympics, but it is the nearest catagory.

Why is fencing not a commonweath sport? It would provide good experience to young competitors, and could give some glory to countries who in fencing, generally cannot get any.

Intrested on thoughts on the subject.
Max.

Sabre Dude
-21st March 2006, 19:49
It IS a commonwealth Sport, just not at senior level. Earlier in the year we hav the U20 Commonwealth fencing championships, and it was mentioned may times on the forum!!

Junkie
-21st March 2006, 19:56
It is a commonwealth sport, its just not part of the main commonwealth games.

The commonwealth fencing championships take place in Belfast later this year from the 20th to the 26th of September.

rory
-22nd March 2006, 08:59
Fencing used to be part of the main Commonwealth Games until it was dropped in 1974. We now have a separate Championships, at which proper Commonwealth Games medals are awarded.

I've heard that fencing actually pulled out because the Commonwealth authorities wanted to limit the number of entrants - not sure if that's right, perhaps Ian Hunter or John Ramsay could clarify?

I believe that there are moves and negotiaitions afoot to get us back into the games proper.

Speculation and rumour abound!

MakeTradeFair
-22nd March 2006, 10:07
Bert Bracewell was saying that out of the 25 sports initially looked at for the next Commonwealths - they are now down to the final 17 and fencing is still in there!
Not sure how many sports are chosen however...

Perhaps Piston could enlighten us further???;)

haggis
-22nd March 2006, 10:20
A lot questions answered here http://www.thecgf.com/faq/faq12.asp (http://)

Bert will have been talking about submissions from the various Scottish National Governing bodies to the Scottish Commonwealth Games Council for inclusion in the programme for Glasgow's bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. So even if fencing makes the final ten sports, Glasgow still has to secure the Games, which is a long way from being home and dry.

regards

Haggis

The Great Four.
-22nd March 2006, 16:22
Haggis,
The link doesn't work for some reason.

Australian
-22nd March 2006, 17:57
Originally posted by MakeTradeFair
Bert Bracewell was saying that out of the 25 sports initially looked at for the next Commonwealths - they are now down to the final 17 and fencing is still in there!
Not sure how many sports are chosen however...

Perhaps Piston could enlighten us further???;)

i've heard pretty conclusively that fencing will not be in New Delhi....

Peter Pan
-22nd March 2006, 19:20
Originally posted by Australian
i've heard pretty conclusively that fencing will not be in New Delhi....

Quite right

You can see the Delhi programme and sports here:
http://www.cwgdelhi2010.com/

ihunter
-22nd March 2006, 22:30
Fencing was last in the Commonwealth Games in 1970. The Commonwealth Fencing Federation was formed to continue competition amongst Commonwealth fencers, with its inaugural Championships in Canada in 1974, and the championships taking place each 4 years along with the 'Games' cycle.
It should be realised that the Comm. Games Federation has rules for 'single sport Comm. Champs', one of which being that they are not allowed to be held in the 'official Games' country within 6 months either side of the Games!!.
The exception to this occured in Kuala Lumpur in 1998 when the CFF succesfully argued our case for the timing of our Championships.
Efforts are being made to persuade the city of Glasgow to include fencing in its 'sports programme,' which is a part of its bid for the 2014 games.
The CFFChamps are a large event by Comm. participation standards and it would be highly unlikely that participating countries would be allowed the numbers that a CFFC allows with teams of 5 individuals per weapon.
For that reason, among others I am confident the CFFC will continue whether we are in or out of the Commonwealth Games.

Member CFF Technical Committee.

Peter Pan
-23rd March 2006, 07:39
Originally posted by ihunter
Fencing was last in the Commonwealth Games in 1970. .

And I believe forumites B Paul (indiv foil) and I hunter (team epee) are both owners of silver medals from that event!

edwin
-23rd March 2006, 13:05
No. I would not have Commonwealth fencing. I would let the fencers train to compete in a competition where more than 7 (all Canadian) people from the top 100 in the world can compete (Men's Epee).
Although if it did happen the home nations and the Canadians would dominate the medals!

JEH

rory
-23rd March 2006, 13:50
Originally posted by edwin
No. I would not have Commonwealth fencing. I would let the fencers train to compete in a competition where more than 7 (all Canadian) people from the top 100 in the world can compete (Men's Epee).
Although if it did happen the home nations and the Canadians would dominate the medals!
JEH

As stated, repeatedly, above, we do have Commonwealth fencing. We have a separate championships: it's just not in the "main" Games fortnight - but it's no less valid for all that.

And given that the majority of the fencers at the Commonwealths will never win an Olympic medal, doing well in the Commonwealths may well be the highlight of their career.

The results from the last one are here: http://www.ausfencingevents.org/cf2002/index.htm

As it happens the Canadians chose not to compete - England won, but Australia were second.

Australia won MF individual, ME individual, WE individual, MF team, ME team and WE team.

I think they're strong enough to keep up with the Home Nations and the Canadians...

Australian
-23rd March 2006, 18:04
Originally posted by edwin

JEH

heh, don't forget about us.... as stated we won 50% of the gold medals in newcastle

edwin
-23rd March 2006, 20:28
OK I forgot about the Australians, sorry about that. My point about the number of top ranked fencers eligible to compete is no less valid.

JEH

Threestain
-23rd March 2006, 21:47
your point makes no sense unfortunately - or at least I cannot seem to make sense of it.

do you think that only fencers in the top 100 in the world can compete in the commonwealth fencing championships? if so, where does that come from?

rory
-24th March 2006, 09:04
I thin he's trying to make a point that the Commonwealths is weak in terms of top-100 fencers.

In ME, only 7 top-100 fencers would be eligible (apparently), and they're all Canadian. Therefore, apparently, we should dump the CFC and let the top guys train for more important competitions.

Personally I think that's waaay off the mark.

The point of the Commonwealths is to be able to represent your Home Country against the others: it's not possible to do this at any other individual competition.

For many of us, the Commonwealths wouldn't be a training event - it's an outcome goal.

There's also the point that many of the fencers who fence at Commonwealth champs (such as a lot of the Aussies), while not top-100 in the world, are capable of performing at that level: they just can't get to many A-Grades due to flight times and costs.

The Commonwealths is *not* an easy competition.

Threestain
-24th March 2006, 09:12
also the top 100 (for example in men's epee) is a very poor cut-off point - people outside of this are capable of winning a-grades let alone doing well...