PDA

View Full Version : Money...

drunken master
-21st March 2006, 22:11
Hi, folks.

I've been prosituting my skills part-time for a couple of years now and have been thinking about going full-time. The main stumbling block is the initial investment in own beginner's kit - 1500 at the very least, ideally double that. This is money I'm not likely to have any time soon. Does anyone know if it is possible to get something along the lines of a business start-up grant to cover this?

Pav

Baldric
-21st March 2006, 22:22
Originally posted by drunken master
Hi, folks.

I've been prosituting my skills part-time for a couple of years now and have been thinking about going full-time. The main stumbling block is the initial investment in own beginner's kit - 1500 at the very least, ideally double that. This is money I'm not likely to have any time soon. Does anyone know if it is possible to get something along the lines of a business start-up grant to cover this?

Pav

Hi DM

I don't know about grant funding, but in terms of business start up funding, the figures involved are chickensh*t.

If you have a steady potential income stream (say some school contracts and a club membership with growth potential) nip down to your local bank and talk to them about a loan. It would help if you have some collateral - like owning your own home.

If you can't demonstrate the potential for such an income stream, then maybe you should be doing some more homework before embarking on the venture.

Best of luck

Baldric

Andy
-21st March 2006, 23:00
Loads of free money

http://www.awardsforall.org.uk/

All you have to do is fill in the form explain that you are going to introduce the sport to those who don't have access to it already...

There are loads of fencing clubs who've benefited, if you start a club, and then use the kit the rest of the week teaching, that's just more people introduced to the sport isn't it?!?!

Good luck!

A.

drunken master
-23rd March 2006, 20:58
Thanks, guys.

Pav

Marcos
-24th March 2006, 08:18
there is also the social good of teaching in disadvantaged areas / disabled which I think the grants are generally geared towards.