PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Uni fencing

fencingmum
-22nd March 2006, 10:28
Fencing daughter is hoping to go to Edinburgh Uni in September. What's the fencing like there? Who's there already and who might be going there as well?

Jules
-22nd March 2006, 11:20
We fenced them for the BUSA cup and were well beaten :upset: so the standard there is high! They seemed nice and friendly (especially considering the length of the journey they'd just undergone!). More information here (http://www.eufc.org.uk/) and here (http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/tv.asp?teamid=10494). You might also want to check and see if they've filled in their details on the BUSA fencing clubs comparison list - that was being set up with prospective undergrads in mind...

Junkie
-22nd March 2006, 11:56
I am at Edinburgh Uni at the moment but am graduating in two months time.
The fencing is very good, we have a strong club with a few very good fencers and a large number of decent fencers along with 3 good coaches and a strong begginers program. More details and contact details for the club are available at www.eufc.org.uk.
The womens team is particularly strong and reached the last 8 of the BUSA teams this year.
If your daughter is a good fencer she might also be interested in doing additional training at Edinburgh Fencing Club which is about a 30 minuite walk or 10 minuite car journey away from the Uni campus and is the strongest fencing club in Scotland.

PM me if you want to ask any more questions.

fencingmum
-22nd March 2006, 15:59
Thanks for your replies and your links.

Yes, she's quite a reasonable fencer ( has fenced for Scottish junior and senior squads) and we know about Edinburgh Fencing Club, but really wanted to hear who else was at the uni there.
We'll check out the links you gave and see if we can find more out.

rory
-22nd March 2006, 16:15
Off the top of my head, good fencers at EUFC currently include:

Steve Miller (ME)
Struan Zawalnyski (MF)
Tracy McKenzie (WF)
Esther Kuhlmey (WE)

Not sure about sabre. That's a pretty strong club for a Scottish Uni all the same.

Obviously though, it'd be foolish not to head down to EFC whenever possible.

Junkie
-22nd March 2006, 16:53
Another couple of names to note are Naomi Farmer (WS) and Grant Findlay (MF) though i believe Tracy and Naomi are graduating this year.

These are the most recognisable names to anyone who has been involved in Scottish fencing but there are often good foreign students about as well.

Gav
-22nd March 2006, 18:27
Originally posted by rory
Off the top of my head, good fencers at EUFC currently include:

Steve Miller (ME)
Struan Zawalnyski (MF)
Tracy McKenzie (WF)
Esther Kuhlmey (WE)

Not sure about sabre. That's a pretty strong club for a Scottish Uni all the same.

Obviously though, it'd be foolish not to head down to EFC whenever possible.

EFC also gets visitors from St Andrews, Strathclyde (!) and Dundee (!!) as well.

Students included (off the top of my head): Kathy Gracie (WE), Iain MacMaster (MF), Andy Clarke (MS), James Loggie (MF), Younger Loggie (MF: can't remember his first name) and Craig Davidson (ME).

Apologies to anyone who've I've forgotten - especially the younger Loggie. Plenty of Fencing to be had in Edinburgh if you look hard enough. I'd check with a club member (I'll answer emails) before coming down because, until a new venue is found, the club is forced to move between two venues. We're mostly blasť about it, but it annoys the hell out of me when I turn up to the wrong venue.

D'Artignan
-22nd March 2006, 18:46
Originally posted by Gav
Apologies to anyone who've I've forgotten - especially the younger Loggie. He answers to Douglas, Gav;)

And it's even more annoying coming from Fife to find out you've gone to the wrong place.

It's all part of theconspiracy against me.... :tongue:

Piston Broke
-23rd March 2006, 18:22
Students included (off the top of my head): Kathy Gracie (WE), Iain MacMaster (MF), Andy Clarke (MS), James Loggie (MF), Younger Loggie (MF: can't remember his first name) and Craig Davidson (ME).

And a witty and dare I say devilishly handsome bunch we are too.:grin:

fencingmum
-24th March 2006, 06:47
And a witty and dare I say devilishly handsome bunch we are too.

Now there's something to look forward to!

D'Artignan
-24th March 2006, 14:58
Originally posted by fencingmum
Now there's something to look forward to! I have a feeling someone's gonna be disappointed when they clap eyes on us all.......

Piston Broke
-24th March 2006, 15:08
Hey they might have cataracts D'Artignan.

fencingmum
-24th March 2006, 17:29
Sorry, no cataracts.