PDA

View Full Version : new fencing piste

Goblin
-21st April 2003, 22:22
I fenced on the new rubber piste at the birmingham competition. I quite liked it. It porduced superior grip than the floor and only wrinkled slightley. We had to unwrinkle it between fights but not significanlty.

It was much better than fencing on a dusty sports hall floor. I was wondering however if it conducts electricity and can be used for foil/epee?

did any one else use it? any other oppinons?

3 Card Trick
-22nd April 2003, 08:35
Yep, it can. Big advantagte is it's weight.:)

Gav
-22nd April 2003, 10:23
My club needs some new rubber matting. I saw but never fenced on the rubber mat at Birmingham. I presume that it's a LP invention. It sounds like the what we need. Anyone know how much it costs? The LP shop only lists the 0.7 by 11m one. The mat that I saw was clearly part of a roll,

Boo Boo
-22nd April 2003, 10:25
I had a lesson on it at Birmingham - not the same as fencing on it - but it seemed ok (nice and grippy) to me. Would have been interesting to fence on it...

Boo

kingkenny
-22nd April 2003, 10:26
I am sitting next to a trial one now. I will see if I can get some detail for you. I think from what I have seen they rock. So easy only thing is how long they last?

twohappyhippos
-22nd April 2003, 10:31
are you talking about the pistes in the dance room at the birmingham? becasue if you are...they were really nice to fence on!!!

Barry Paul
-22nd April 2003, 10:33
Hi, Glad you like the new conductive carpet type roll up lightweight piste (one person can carry it) which we were testing at Birmingham. It is not yet availible and price is still to be confirmed.

Boo Boo
-22nd April 2003, 10:35
Twohappyhippos, no - unless things changed from Saturday - the pistes in the dance studio were standard copper pistes (which are very nice, but weigh a tonne).

On Saturday, at least, the new blue prototype was upstairs in the "new gym" (the one next to reception)

Boo
(who was only their on Saturday)

Gav
-22nd April 2003, 10:38
Please keep the price down!

We are poor fencers! :(

We need new pistes [our current ones are unsafe]! :(

We could even *cough, cough* trial one for you! ;)

Gav
-22nd April 2003, 10:40
If I remember correctly, twohappyhippos, the pistes in the dance studio were standard copper roll out pistes.

Jambo
-22nd April 2003, 17:07
Those stretchy efforts are good but slightly disconcerting to fence on.
Defintely need to be cheap tho! Newcastle Uni is ridiculously broke (cos the med school nearly bankrupted them!:confused:)
Any rough ballpark sorta figure Barry? Wont hold you to it, promise!

I mean the roll up metal ones, cant remember where I saw them tho.

Aoife
-28th April 2003, 20:44
Ooooh, those new rubber pistes sound really interesting!!!
I'm definatly going to keep my eyes on them!

(although having any piste would be an interesting development at my club :grin: )

Neo
-3rd May 2003, 17:36
After an embarassing incident where, whilst fecing, I slipped and fell flat on my back (at which point my opponent took the opportunity to take a hit) I'd say my club could do with some of those rubber jobbies :transport

Epeecurean
-5th March 2004, 15:52
Oh, I see now that this has been discussed before. It is a new LP product in the test phase. Any news as to the rollout (no pun intended)?

Cheers,
Epeecurean

Marcos
-8th March 2004, 08:54
The Irish Federation bought 3 new pistes recently - 2 of which were lightweight pistes from Artos.

Has to be said that the light-weight Artos pistes are superb - very light and dead easy to lay down (takes about 2 mins!)
Also v cheap. Great for us as they are used at comps all over the country and are very easy to transport

Insipiens
-26th October 2004, 16:57
Thought I would resurrect this thread, as there were two pistes at the LP cup which appeared to be the carpet types. Very good to fence on. Are we going to see them rolled out (:o: sorry couldn't resist it) at other LP competitions?