PDA

View Full Version : New layout

Hudson
-19th April 2006, 10:22
Ah first post on new layout.

looks good and seems easy to nav round.

look forward to seeing what new stuff there is to play with.

:joker: :itchskrat

Foilling Around
-19th April 2006, 10:26
Well I liked the old one - so there

Hudson
-19th April 2006, 10:31
Each to their own.

i like this one, looks all shiney. HUMMMMMM SHINEY :homer2:

HUMMMM BEER :drink: :beer:

HUMMM CHICKEN :chicken:

HUMM WHAT I WANT TO DO TO TARMAC AFTER THIS WEEKEND :bash: :bash: :itchskrat :sabre2:

HUMMM ME :iamstupid

hokers
-19th April 2006, 10:32
Anyone worked out how to do a search for all new posts since your last visit?

Hudson
-19th April 2006, 10:33
Might be the link at the top that says NEW POSTS

gbm
-19th April 2006, 10:33
This is an improved version, with fancy new features, but the colour scheme is probably an option! I suspect Wingnut et al can change it back to orange if that's what people want...

Also the logo needs changing.

Hudson
-19th April 2006, 10:36
No i like this colour scheme. looks all SHINEY

rory
-19th April 2006, 10:38
If you go to your User Control panel, and go to "Edit Options", waaay down the bottom you can choose the forum "skin" you want to use.

One of the options is more orangey, like the old version. But it's still fugly - it keeps some bluey colours, and mixes in some orange: kind of a nasty half-way house.

gbm
-19th April 2006, 10:43
There's also a 'quick' link right at the bottom of the page.
The links at the top (Rules, Armoury etc) are missing - no doubt Wingnut will sort it out soon!

This version should fix the complaint that people don't know when their PM box is full - in the User CP it will tell you how much space you have used up.

Twohat
-19th April 2006, 10:43
Hate it.

Perhaps I'll get used to it in time, but initial thoughts are "hate it"

gbm
-19th April 2006, 10:56
Hate it.

The layout, or the colour scheme?

Aidyboy
-19th April 2006, 11:01
Hate it.

ditto.
NB - probably have just been robbed of my comfort blanket in an internet sense

D'Artignan
-19th April 2006, 11:01
My title has disappeared, and I can't find a way of getting it back.....

Aidyboy
-19th April 2006, 11:04
would also like to note that, with regards to my above message, when trying to use these thingys [] about my 'NB' section, it excluded it from my character count and told me I needed at least 10 chars. . .this may not be a new thing, but similarly I hateses it!!

Aidyboy
-19th April 2006, 11:05
And I Want My Details Down The Side!!!!

gbm
-19th April 2006, 11:08
My title has disappeared, and I can't find a way of getting it back.....

It would seem to happen if you try and put anything in the 'Biography' box on the Edit Profile page (which is what I presume you did, because I just did and the same thing happened to me). Presumably this is where you would normally sort this out, but due to the migration it isn't working properly.

So my advice is, don't use that box (or safer still any of that page) if you want to keep your title...

D'Artignan
-19th April 2006, 11:10
Haven't actually touched any of it, though. Due to me being a bit of a Neanderthal with a computer, I assumed I was missing something obvious, somewhere.

gbm
-19th April 2006, 11:11
Well in that case you could try the 'Biography' bit on the 'Edit Profile' page.

D'Artignan
-19th April 2006, 11:13
Um, nope. Still getting nothing. :(

Sumerian Haze
-19th April 2006, 11:18
I'm sure I'll get used to it very quickly, but I nearly had a heart attack when the new page flashed up!

I'm too old for that kind of shock! Mumble mumble ooo me legs, etc.

gbm
-19th April 2006, 11:27
Um, nope. Still getting nothing. :(

Ditto.

PS This site:
http://www.progresstalk.com/
has a large number of colour schemes attached, as an example of allowing people choice in their colour scheme. Look at the very very bottom left of the page.

So that if someone wants this one:
http://www.progresstalk.com/?styleid=67
They can have it, and everybody else can have something else :)

gbm
-19th April 2006, 11:46
I think it's quite clear everybody wants legacy_postbit set (that will put the names and avatars on the left again).

The Tooth Fairy
-19th April 2006, 11:54
how do you put on a custom avatar on this new layout?

T.Turtle
-19th April 2006, 12:20
I think it's quite clear everybody wants legacy_postbit set (that will put the names and avatars on the left again).

Yes please. It was a lot easier to follow a thread with names etc on the left.

Mantis
-19th April 2006, 12:22
I must confess that my first impression was whoops, looks like the admin has messed up the configuration and reset everything to the default. The title is now "vBulletin" which is, I guess, the name of the forum software, while "Fencing Forum" only appears as a folder name is the box at the top.

In fact, I'm still not convinced that the format change wasn't just an accidental deletion of certain configuration files. It does, after all, look remarkably similar to the vBulletin home page. (http://www.vbulletin.com/)

gbm
-19th April 2006, 13:49
Old vBulletin skins and new ones are incompatible. Hence it's not suprising that everything style-related has gone to the defaults for the new versions.

late starter
-19th April 2006, 13:56
I'm sure I'll get used to it very quickly, but I nearly had a heart attack when the new page flashed up!

I'm too old for that kind of shock! Mumble mumble ooo me legs, etc.

Me too but I do like it, I think!

:rolling:

wingnutLP
-19th April 2006, 14:00
All will return to (normal ish) soon...

V buletin have done an "upgrade" as requested and we now need to re skin and re configure everything. It may take a couple of days :)

gbm
-19th April 2006, 14:04
All will return to (normal ish) soon...

V buletin have done an "upgrade" as requested and we now need to re skin and re configure everything. It may take a couple of days :)

Ah, so you're getting vBulletin to do everything... very wise! If you have access to the admincp page though, legacy_postbit would be appreciated :)

Though the upgrade is appreciated also :)

wingnutLP
-19th April 2006, 14:10
Ah, so you're getting vBulletin to do everything... very wise! If you have access to the admincp page though, legacy_postbit would be appreciated :)

Though the upgrade is appreciated also :)
They upgrade the code and we reconfigure :(

What is legacy_postbit BTW?

gbm
-19th April 2006, 14:16
They upgrade the code and we reconfigure :(

What is legacy_postbit BTW?

Its something in the 'admincp' page (obviously I haven't seen it, not being an admin), that lets you select between avatars on the left pane (as previously) and the current arrangement with people's names, avatars etc. above their post.
It should just be an option to select between legacy_postbit and postbit.
Most people on this forum have said they want the old layout back, and I think this is what they want.
The vBulletin forum itself uses, as do most vBulletin forums, as the new style layout wastes a lot of space.
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19286

gbm
-19th April 2006, 14:20
Aha! Apparently:

"AdminCP -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Use Legacy (Vertical) Postbit Template"

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139200

Please can you turn it on? You know you want to :)

wingnutLP
-19th April 2006, 14:30
done... next....??

gbm
-19th April 2006, 14:35
done... next....??

:party: :mexwave: :party:
That's much better.
And Fencingforum as the logo again! Even better again!

Well there are still a few oddities... somethings screwy involving user titles (which is why I am 'Registered User') affecting me and D'art, and probably anybody who tries to change their 'Biography' (which I assume is the same thing).
And the smilies don't seem to work when you click the 'More' button (probably just an old link) - you used to get a popup full of smilies, now you get nothing.

But nothing too serious :)
Are you planning to reskin the site back towards how it was before i.e. orange?

Hudson
-19th April 2006, 15:04
i got the more link to work when i tried earlier.
but the sites looking better now it has the forum name back up top

wingnutLP
-19th April 2006, 15:06
slowly getting there :)

gbm
-19th April 2006, 15:22
OK, the smilie page works for me now (may have been a glitch).
The most important thing to do now is to get rid of anything 'slightly blue' - because it clashes horribly! :chair: :tongue:

MakeTradeFair
-19th April 2006, 15:38
Still havent figured how to put in a custom avatar :egg: ... Can anyone help?

Aidyboy
-19th April 2006, 15:54
done... next....??

A job well done. Cheers for me forum back!! :grin:

Yorkie
-19th April 2006, 16:16
WHOA THERE!! What's going on?? Wasn't expecting a brand, spanking new site!! Not being the most technologically of minded people it takes a bit of getting used to where things are.. bit like groping around in the dark! But still, change is good and evolution important so yeah.. looks great guys, nice one!

Moppet
-19th April 2006, 16:35
don't like it. I miss the old forum.

Peter Pan
-19th April 2006, 18:49
Does anyone know how to stay "hidden". I'm such a shy fellow I don't like to advertise the fact I'm logged in. I was OK initially (had an asterisk against my name which seemed to indicate hidden) but suddenly lost that status and now I'm here for all to see.

Insipiens
-19th April 2006, 19:19
Personally I preferred the Blue version - it seems to have gone orange again. Although I do prefer the names at the side.
You'll never please everyone.

PM1
-19th April 2006, 22:32
Hmmmm....not sure yet.....was deff taken aback when I first saw it : thought I was on fencing.net....

where are my smilies......I can't get them to come onto my reply....

kingkenny
-20th April 2006, 08:03
How do we get a select set of smilies it keeps puting random ones in. GBM any clues?

gbm
-20th April 2006, 08:24
How do we get a select set of smilies it keeps puting random ones in. GBM any clues?

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/smilie_modify

You could try picking 18 smilies and putting them into a category on their own, and then playing with their display order... :shrug:

gbm
-20th April 2006, 11:28
I notice there are now 2 categories of smilies, 'Standard' and 'Extra', and that only Standard appear in the ordinary 'Post Reply' window. Now if you reduce the number of smilies in the Standard category to 18, then logically those will be the ones that appear in the Post Reply window...

But please can we have the old smilies back?
The much loved :tongue: smilie is now:
:tongue:

:censored:

gbm
-20th April 2006, 11:29
I notice there are now 2 categories of smilies, 'Standard' and 'Extra', and that only Standard appear in the ordinary 'Post Reply' window. Now if you reduce the number of smilies in the Standard category to 18, then logically those will be the ones that appear in the Post Reply window...

But please can we have the old smilies back?
The much loved :tongue smilie is now:
:tongue:

:censored:

gbm
-20th April 2006, 11:53
Grr... I kept getting stuck.
I think I see you actually doing it now... which is interesting...

Foilling Around
-20th April 2006, 12:01
Thank you for the spell checker!

What is this "Switch Editor Mode" I had typed about 10 lines of a post and clicked on this by mistake. It chewed up my post and I could not undo the action. Unless it is useful, do we need it. I could not work out what it had done.

kingkenny
-20th April 2006, 12:14
Ok we are getting back to normal now. I am off on holiday for about 4 days. (Venice :nanananan ) If we start a new post with problems or changes that want to be made then I can do them all when I get back. I think there are lots of new features that will improve the forum but I just dont have time to read through them all now.
:whistle:

gbm
-20th April 2006, 12:23
The 'Switch Editor' mode thing is a bit confusing... it's to do with switching between 'ye olde' styling (where you see the [tag]s), and WYSIWYG styling (which is like using Word, you see the bold as bold as you write it.

In Opera, it isn't there, presumably since vBulletin recognises that it's something Opera doesn't support.
In Firefox, the button is there, but it doesn't seem to work properly - mangling things a bit and making lots of computer smilies. It seems to work if you start in the 'advanced' mode and just use that (i.e. switch before you start, or have that set up as the default).
In IE, everything seems to work, and you get the spell-checker, which you don't in Opera or Firefox.

PS I think rich-text editing is supposed to work in Opera 9, when it comes out.

rory
-20th April 2006, 13:58
It'd be nice to get my custom user title back - looks like the minimum post count to enable custom titles has been reset to 1000 or something high. It used to be 100 I think.

kalivor
-20th April 2006, 14:36
There's also a glitch with the search functionality -- it doesn't seem to be picking up any posts that were made before the upgrade.

gbm
-20th April 2006, 14:49
I think the Reputation feature has been turned on...

Winwaloe
-20th April 2006, 14:57
It's rather like the changes that were made to the sabre rules (no cross steps, no fleche) the intentions were/are probably good but the result was/is

******* terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

gbm
-20th April 2006, 15:07
It's rather like the changes that were made to the sabre rules (no cross steps, no fleche) the intentions were/are probably good but the result was/is

Most people agree they have improved sabre... I suspect something similar will happen for these changes :whistle:

D'Artignan
-20th April 2006, 15:11
It'd be nice to get my custom user title back - looks like the minimum post count to enable custom titles has been reset to 1000 or something high. It used to be 100 I think.
It definitely isn't set to 1000. On a similar topic, though. How do we get custom avatars nowadays?:upset:

gbm
-20th April 2006, 15:15
Another fantastic feature! :thumbs_up If you are midway in a post, and click a smilie, the smilie appears where your cursor is, not at the end of the post. As an example, I shall insert a smilie after my first sentence without using copy-paste...

And I can confirm that it's not set to less than 4000 :)

D'Artignan
-20th April 2006, 15:26
I think the Reputation feature has been turned on...And it's anonymous.....

wingnutLP
-20th April 2006, 15:45
Working on rebuilding the search database which will slow the server down for a bit.

wingnutLP
-20th April 2006, 15:48

Cheerful as ever eh Winwaloe!

I do love happy positive constructive people like you :whistle:

Wheras GBM... All he does is complain and makes no effort to assist the moderators get the forum running smoothly with all it's useful new features. If only the forum was full of winwaloes and had less GBM's:rolleyes:

Rdb811
-20th April 2006, 16:44
At least that awful top ten posters list has disappeared.:whistle:

gbm
-20th April 2006, 16:48
At least that awful top ten posters list has disappeared.:whistle:
You just have to click the 'Posts' title to order everything by post count :grin:

I've just noticed how narrow the gap has got... :eek:

D'Artignan
-20th April 2006, 17:03
And it's anonymous.....And you can get negative rep.... severely upset :upset:

ChubbyHubby
-20th April 2006, 17:31
Keep getting script errors (using IE6 Win XP2)....

Gav
-20th April 2006, 17:39
Keep getting script errors (using IE6 Win XP2)....

Don't use it then.

PM1
-20th April 2006, 21:59
ohdearohdearohdear........

T.Turtle
-20th April 2006, 22:10
I think this question has been asked a couple of times without answer so ...

How do we upload custom avatars with this version?

PM1
-20th April 2006, 22:15
What happens if I do this -:) or ;)

PM1
-20th April 2006, 22:18
failed....have to learn how to edit all over again....

Twohat
-21st April 2006, 07:11
How does the reputation thingy work? How can you see what someone's reputation is?

The menu above the edit window looks nice but none of the items seem to work, Bold italic underline font size testing testing spell checccc - nope, nothing. Is it a feature or is it just me?

wingnutLP
-21st April 2006, 07:21
How does the reputation thingy work? How can you see what someone's reputation is?

The menu above the edit window looks nice but none of the items seem to work, Bold italic underline font size testing testing spell checccc - nope, nothing. Is it a feature or is it just me?

Reputation is the bar under your name (small green spot ATM). As rep is given or taken away this bar will increase or decreace we are all at default of 10 rep points for the moment.

You have to share rep around, you can't just keep giving it to one person. Click on the scales under peoples avatar to give rep.

Will look at the edit options and see what is up.

I will try to get avatars and user titles sorted, there does not seem to be a custom user title feature in this version but I am sur there must be, will keep looking.

The script errors were probably as the database was recompiling the search feature (new minimum search term is 2 characters) and this took lots of time and resources yesterday evening.

fencingmaster
-21st April 2006, 07:21
Well at least the this new version shows the right time...or will we lose it when the clocks change?

Twohat
-21st April 2006, 07:22
Ah. You have to change editing mode in User CP options to WYSIWIG - I think it means HTML - why it just doesn't say that I dunno:upset:
I can change fonts too! How awful!
Persumable the smell chequer will werk now?
No. It requires installing some third-party software on my PC - think I'll rely on my English skills instead . . .:dont:

Johnbone
-21st April 2006, 08:36
I can see the new type forum being an improvement once all the problems are ironed out. :thumbs_up

Johnbone
-21st April 2006, 08:43
'Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.'

Curious:grin:

rugmike
-21st April 2006, 09:32
Agree with 2hat & Moppet - 'speshhully as it's lost my first comments about not liking it ! Or perhaps I haven't found it yet !
Does seem to have speeded up a bit now , though.
Still liked the old one for its simplicity and clarity.
'Spose we'll get used to it.

rugmike
-21st April 2006, 09:36
Ha ha ! Found it in poll re: colour . But it wasn't the colour I was talking aboot, but the layuot and feel - and speed.

wingnutLP
-21st April 2006, 09:48
We are getting there I think. There are so many options now in the Config pages that it is a bit of a nightmare.

The Rep thing should be good.

Hopefuly when the update next happens (each hour i think) the people with more than 100 posts will be promoted to "senior members"

**edit, there are now 114 senior members (peeps with more than 200 posts) who should have the new privalages as below any problems let me know***

They will be alowed to have more storage in their PM's and select their own user titles and upload animated avatar's.

Hopefuly now everyone should be able to upload custom (non animated) avatars please let me know if you can't.

27ab1c
-21st April 2006, 12:55
I've reserved judgement, looked around it a bit, posted a few times, but no, in general I don't like the changes.
One notable exception is the private messages, with both the expanded capacity and the 'message-meter'.

ChubbyHubby
-21st April 2006, 13:37
but no, in general I don't like the changes.

The keyword here is "changes". People don't like changes to IT systems because they were used to where everything is.

I bet in a couple of weeks noone would have noticed it has changed....

Winwaloe
-21st April 2006, 13:45
Cheerful as ever eh Winwaloe!

I do love happy positive constructive people like you :whistle:

Wheras GBM... All he does is complain and makes no effort to assist the moderators get the forum running smoothly with all it's useful new features. If only the forum was full of winwaloes and had less GBM's:rolleyes:

Ah I see, we are all meant to go oooooooooohhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, how lovely. Sorry, I thought this was for big boys and girls as well.

wingnutLP
-21st April 2006, 14:24
Constructive criticism is always welcome :)

We can change this version of the forum to just like the old one by disabling all the new features if people want.

If anyone feels a particular new feature is "terrible" please let us know what it is and we can see if the rest of the forum agrees that we should disable it.

D'Artignan
-21st April 2006, 15:51
Dunno how this happened, but in my title thingy, the word "Forum" has been deemed a sweary word....:eek:

SuburbanMyth
-21st April 2006, 20:29
I'm probably just being technologically incompetent (though hopefully at least posting this in the right thread), but is there still a 'go to first unread post' option?

Rdb811
-22nd April 2006, 14:00
On the main page is there any way to reduce the size of the thread title column and widen the last post column (and remove the thread starter line - it just takes up space and is confusing)

gbm
-22nd April 2006, 14:27
On the main page is there any way to reduce the size of the thread title column and widen the last post column (and remove the thread starter line - it just takes up space and is confusing)

The thread title column stretches to make the whole thing spread across the entire screen (we are using a 'liquid' layout). As a quick fix, you could simply reduce the size of your window (i.e. click 'Restore' and adjust the window you are using to a size you like better). That would reduce the size of the thread title column - but making the last post column wider would be more tricky (although how tricky I have no idea - plus if the admin made it wider, it could be too wide for people with lower screen resolutions i.e. 800x600).

pinkelephant
-22nd April 2006, 21:00
I like being able to log out without going back to the home page.

rugmike
-22nd April 2006, 22:07
Winwaloe - sorry, I missed those instructions, but I did say "ooooh, I don't like this" - I feel younger already.

Winwaloe
-24th April 2006, 08:44
Winwaloe - sorry, I missed those instructions, but I did say "ooooh, I don't like this" - I feel younger already.

Somerset is on Winwaloe's list of good locations so please feel free to oooooooohhhh and aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh whenver you feel it is required and/or deserved.

Actually, I think that this is a really lovely, fluffy bunny, fairy at the bottom of the garden itsy, bitsy Forumy and I hope that the likkle moderator is now also a happy little bunny!

wingnutLP
-24th April 2006, 11:48
I am not particulrlaly happy but that is nothing to do with the forum!

Joking aside Winwaloe if you do have any suggestions to make the updated forum less "terrible" please let me know and I will try to sort it out.

Hoefully however, the updated forum is not as terrible as you first suspected. :)

D'Artignan
-24th April 2006, 18:55
Ok, I'll try this again. When you check your reputation points in your User CP, any comments associated with the reps only give the same smiley that appears when you try to edit posts. When you check your rep through the post which has been repped, it's fine. I'm confused as to why this is :confused: