PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Funding

Phoenix
-20th April 2006, 14:31
Hello,

I was wondering if any of the University clubs have alternative ways to bring in income for their club other than membership and Sports Association funding?

Bake sales, anyone?

Dragonfly
-20th April 2006, 19:01
Oh yes, we do cake sales every now and then, and they're quite successful. Some university clubs will shudder at the possibility, but if you haven't much money in the kitty, it's quite good.
Recently we've tried ( or are in the process of trying ) two other options. One is a longer club session where those that attend pay. Limit the numbers, and have a coach there that will teach those that do attend. We called ours a seminar, and it was just to keep interest with the beginner fencers, but it seems to have worked. Angela Goodall said if there were only 20, then she's give each one a private lesson, so it worked quite well.
Next thing we're in the process of doing is an Open comp. There's plenty of local clubs in the area, you have to be a BFA member obviously. Get the Sports Association to foot the bill for the venue (or pay in part), then I believe our comp. is for 30 and everyone can ONLY fight 1 weapon. It's currently broken even and we haven't filled all the spaces, although we have the downside that we're asking the refs to do it out the kindness of their heart, which isn't so simple. We have a small armoury, but people are encouraged to fix their own weapons. It's also only over 1 day and it's going to be manic - knowing how little people know of fixing their weapons.
Final option is get a local company to sponsor you. The problems there are with advertising space on your equipment, there's bits in the rules about where such space can be and how large etc...
So there's a few options. The first two we've found/ we're finding to be quite successful, the last depends on generosity of local companies.
Hope this helps!

Phoenix
-20th April 2006, 22:37
An open competition would be a good idea actually. I believe there was there was talk of an inter-varsity competition but various factors mean it could be a while off.

We've got a sponsership deal however our new members seem to have broken all our foils so now we have about 2 between us and the deal doesn't cover us for that!

kd5mdk
-20th April 2006, 23:47
Just to note, there's nothing in the publicity code I know of that applies to the venue. So if you do have a competition, you may (depending on your University rules) be allowed to setup signs on the walls or on the strips. I've been to a few comps that said "This strip sponsored by (X local company, or doctor)."

Phoenix
-21st April 2006, 09:55
I see neon signs and possibly fireworks.

Any other ideas apart from imbezzlement?

Junkie
-21st April 2006, 10:36
Club merchandise is a possible source of extra revenue, there are a number of companies that will make hoodies, tracksuits etc. with your club logo on them and I'm sure quite a lot of your club members would buy these items.

Yorkie
-21st April 2006, 14:40
Hi yeah Junkie's comments are founded.. hoodies etc are a great way of getting a bit of extra cash for the uni club. I'm not sure how your uni works but at mine during freshers fair if someone is interested in joining a club they sign up there and then for about 6 whether they've ever tried fencing before or not. Either way though there are huge flaws in this as lots of people don't want to sign up to something they haven't tried before. Now if your uni works a similar system you could maybe try advertising some "taster" days/evenings. If you make it something like a quid entry then it's much more appealing for the students than signing up for a full membership at a club. At the end of the night go to the pub, win the crowd and see if anyone wants to then join as a full member... but to be honest most do! Taster days/evenings are great as they generate interest on campus, get bums in seats and also they'll be more people who turn up to a taster day and pay a quid than the smaller percentage of those who just sign up for a full membership because they've fenced before or fancy giving it a go. At least then you readhing out to a wider market of the stident body and if you give them a good nights fencing in the taster sessio most (in my experience) will then sign up full time. Win Win situation.

CatScan
-21st April 2006, 15:33
We organise competitions and charge an entry fee, and the profits go towards the club(Prof Duffy Epee, Trinity Team Foil, Trinity Cup). We've got an annual table quiz too, which is good for a couple of hundred, even if UCD come and take our beer *grumble grumble*.
We also charge a fiver a year, whether you're going to turn up or not.