PDA

View Full Version : Can a regular member try posting an event for me please

wingnutLP
-24th April 2006, 11:43
Hi, I don't have a regular account so could someone please try to post a competition in the new callendar called "UK competitions" please? Hopefully all members can post in this callendar and it will have to be self regulated. As far as I can see there is no easy way to import callendars :(

bydande
-24th April 2006, 11:53
I just put one in - and they dont come more regular/ordinary than me ;)

wingnutLP
-24th April 2006, 12:40
Thanks Bydande :)

We will have to see how the self regulation of the comp calendar works. If Incorrect info etc gets posted please let me know and I will ammend.

gbm
-24th April 2006, 13:01
Can I suggest that this could be a very useful feature, but at the moment it is rather difficult to see the events for all the birthdays! I know there is an option put events into 'UK Competitions' and then if you select that group when viewing (combo box at the bottom of the page) you will only see these competitions. At the moment the event Bydande has posted is not in this group, however Foiling Around has posted the Senior Nationals in this group.
Is there a way to:
a) stop people posting in the Public bit (the bit with the birthdays) to save explaining how to post in UK Competitions,
b) remove the birthdays altogether, or better still move them to a separate group
c) make UK Competitions the default view page?

Or something similar to make it a little easier to navigate. Then I imagine this feature will become very useful, making it easier for people to advertise events.

gbm
-24th April 2006, 13:05
You could probably do with a calendar moderator - not to post all the stuff, but just to tidy it up a bit so there's a little bit of consistency - for example, the Nationals appears on the calendar as 'Competition', rather than as 'Senior Nationals'.

wingnutLP
-24th April 2006, 13:14
Is there a way to:

b) remove the birthdays altogether, or better still move them to a separate group
c) make UK Competitions the default view page?

Done these two, should be able to move the comps that were already entered in the Public forum.

gbm
-24th April 2006, 13:19
Done these two, should be able to move the comps that were already entered in the Public forum.

That's better - and has the added side effect that the Birthdays group shows all of the birthdays on a day and not just '3 birthdays' when more than 2 people had a birthday on the same day...

wingnutLP
-24th April 2006, 13:36
That's better - and has the added side effect that the Birthdays group shows all of the birthdays on a day and not just '3 birthdays' when more than 2 people had a birthday on the same day...

Amazingly you can edit almost anything in this version so for the BD calendar I have cranked up the number of "events" that will display. It is fairly hard to get your head around the admin page but it is very powerful once you get the hang of it.

Alex

Stephen Chivers
-24th April 2006, 13:56
What about birthdays that fall on weekends? Do you need to change the calendar view?

wingnutLP
-24th April 2006, 14:07
What about birthdays that fall on weekends? Do you need to change the calendar view?

Sorted, thanks for pointing this out.

Alex

Touché Turtle
-25th April 2006, 08:28
Have just entered the Essex Open. For the Sat I just called it Essex open and put the weapons in the other field. It then only shows the title on the calendar. Have added the weapons to the title for the Sunday so they show on the calendar. I tried to edit my Saturday entry but couldn't see how. Is there a way? Not that it really matters in this instance as the info is not actually wrong, its just not how I wanted it. It may be an issue though if someone enters the wrong information then can't change it without moderator help.
Is there a way or am I being dopey?

gbm
-25th April 2006, 10:18
Sorted. I'll check anything that is posted and edit as necessary.

Note to anyone else using the calendar; when entering a two-day competition, please enter as two one-day events (as Touche Turtle has) so that you can have different titles for the two different days - that is, for example 'Essex Open MF,WF' as the title on the Saturday's event, and 'Essex Open ME,WE,MS,WS' for the Sunday event. Rather than a ranged event, for which you can only have one title for the two days.
It's not particularly important, but I can't change it from one sort of event to another so I might end up deleting the event from the calendar and re-adding it myself - losing you the credit of posting the details.

Touché Turtle
-25th April 2006, 12:26
Thank you! :)

Ps Have also just followed the advice in the sticky to get smilies to work!! :not_worth

Touché Turtle
-28th April 2006, 08:26
I've just been playing with the calendar again, specifically at the 'private' one, thought it might be useful.
So, what's the first thing you put in your diary...? your birthday. After I'd put the details in I got a message saying it won't be added until approved by a moderator.
I thought the private calendar was 'for my eyes only', a kind of personal diary. Have I got this wrong? If so, I don't need my birthday announced to the world! :eek:
Or does this mean that someone is going to have to moderate my private calendar. Apart from being a pain in the @@@@ for someone, its not very private!
(not that I'd have anything that exciting I don't wish to share!)

Slowhand
-28th April 2006, 12:29
I have just tried to access the Calendar feature and have been told that I do not have permission to access the screen to add a new event. Any thoughts?

gbm
-28th April 2006, 13:11
I have just tried to access the Calendar feature and have been told that I do not have permission to access the screen to add a new event. Any thoughts?

Were you looking at the UK Competitions Calendar when you were trying to add it? Or were you trying to add something else? I'm not sure what the permissions are on the different calendars.

Slowhand
-28th April 2006, 15:53
I was trying to load a single day event on the UK Competitions Calendar.

gbm
-28th April 2006, 21:53
Interesting... if you PM me the details, I can put it up for you (in the absence of other resolution).

Slowhand
-29th April 2006, 11:05
Thanks - the PM is on its way.

Touché Turtle
-29th April 2006, 18:15
I've just been playing with the calendar again, specifically at the 'private' one, thought it might be useful.
So, what's the first thing you put in your diary...? your birthday. After I'd put the details in I got a message saying it won't be added until approved by a moderator.
I thought the private calendar was 'for my eyes only', a kind of personal diary. Have I got this wrong? If so, I don't need my birthday announced to the world! :eek:
Or does this mean that someone is going to have to moderate my private calendar. Apart from being a pain in the @@@@ for someone, its not very private!
(not that I'd have anything that exciting I don't wish to share!)

Any answer to this one yet? :)

gbm
-29th April 2006, 21:37
Any answer to this one yet? :)

Try PMing Wingnut or Kingkenny, who may be able to help you.

Stephen Chivers
-30th April 2006, 09:29
Were you looking at the UK Competitions Calendar when you were trying to add it? Or were you trying to add something else? I'm not sure what the permissions are on the different calendars.I have experienced the same problem as Slowhand. The calendar heading states that it is member postable so who determines the appropriate permissions?

gbm
-30th April 2006, 23:40
I have experienced the same problem as Slowhand. The calendar heading states that it is member postable so who determines the appropriate permissions?

Try Wingnut or Kingkenny (i.e. it's not me).

J_D
-1st May 2006, 13:08
A quick suggestion: how about posting the late entry date for comps, and maybe flag this up a week or so in advance to remind people to get 'em in now!...ranting

wingnutLP
-3rd May 2006, 11:38
The issue was that normal members could not add events only senior members with more than 200 posts. Also the issue where private events had to be moderated should also have been fixed.

Alex

gbm
-4th May 2006, 00:14
All available LPJS Competitions have been added to the calendar. Should you find any errors, discrepancies, stupid mistakes etc, or if you are an organiser and would like more information added and/or have a link to entry forms, please PM me.