PDA

View Full Version : Smilies, argh!

Aoife
-3rd May 2006, 18:44
How can I get the smilies to work. Clicking on them does nothing (I don't even get the 'hand' pointer I usually get with hyperlinks), and the 'more' button just takes the page up to the start (the scroll bar returns to the top).

I'm on IE (I know, my bad), Windows XP Home (ditto), and can't emote my text :( (other than the ones I can remember :mexwave: )

Old Mongoose
-3rd May 2006, 20:16
How can I get the smilies to work. Clicking on them does nothing (I don't even get the 'hand' pointer I usually get with hyperlinks), and the 'more' button just takes the page up to the start (the scroll bar returns to the top).

I'm on IE (I know, my bad), Windows XP Home (ditto), and can't emote my text :( (other than the ones I can remember :mexwave: )

I was having same problems today- was using XP (and maybe 2000 also) in college and same thing happened.

Now though I am using Safari and it seems to be fine.

Had to click on "Smilies are ON" on the bottom left of the page to open up a link to the smilies and then do it by hand. :upset:

Gunslinger
-3rd May 2006, 20:51
Oh man!! This is going to be grim!! typing all these smilies....
:upset:

Gav
-4th May 2006, 08:17
Dare I say that a a properly written, well punctuated, piece of writing should convey your thoughts well enough? ;)

Damn! There I go using bloomin' smilies.

pinkelephant
-4th May 2006, 08:27
Ever thought of teaching as a career,Gav?;)

Aoife
-4th May 2006, 08:29
Yeah, but I'lll end up insulting people, as it's impossible to convey sarcasm or a lightly self-mocking tone or other subtle nuances through text alone.

Gav
-4th May 2006, 09:48
Ever thought of teaching as a career,Gav?;)
Gold star for pinkelephant!

A+ for effort.

madfencer
-4th May 2006, 11:01
I have exaxctly the same problem there but if you hover your mouse over the smiley you will get a description of the smiley... just put : around the description and you should have the smiley! with the exception of the waggling tongue one which is nanananan with : round it (not quite the same as what the description says).

hope that helps :thumbs_up I think that most of the smiley codes are the same as before this forum got updates if that helps at all. I cant get the more smileys either though which sucks...

madfencer
-4th May 2006, 11:03
:mexwave: they do have the mexican wave smiley still though! If you can remember the codes from before the update you should be fine :)

wingnutLP
-4th May 2006, 11:29
:upset:...ranting...ranting:grin::whistle:

yep working fine for me;)

madfencer
-4th May 2006, 11:38
:embarrassment: cant get this one to work though

Steve
-4th May 2006, 11:45
:dont: :rolleyes: :not_worth :upset: :cool: :thumbs_up :tongue: :nanananan :rolling:

I'm not having any trouble with them :moon:

(But apparently I'm limited to having only 10 in the one post!)

madfencer
-5th May 2006, 15:01
(But apparently I'm limited to having only 10 in the one post!)

same...thought I was on a roll when i'd put about thirty in...then it told me that I could only have ten...as you can see I couldn't be bothered posting in the end!

Mantis
-5th May 2006, 19:23
Yeah, but I'lll end up insulting people, as it's impossible to convey sarcasm or a lightly self-mocking tone or other subtle nuances through text alone.

Insult people through being unable to indicate sarcasm? Surely not!

By the way, you should dump IE, although your parentheses suggested that you know that already. :smallviol

(You could just confuse people by using wholly inappropriate smileys :foodhungr )

Aoife
-7th May 2006, 15:47
I know I should dump IE, but I'm lazy and don't want to have to learn anything else. I know I should probably be using Linux as well. And I know I should have OpenOffice instead of Microsoft. :smallviolin:

I also agree wholeheartedly that random smilies are good :chicken:

gbm
-7th May 2006, 18:27
I know I should dump IE, but I'm lazy and don't want to have to learn anything else. I know I should probably be using Linux as well. And I know I should have OpenOffice instead of Microsoft. :smallviolin:

Slight bit of exaggeration there!
There's almost no learning curve to a web browser (at least until you want to learn more). Download Opera :not_worth or Firefox etc. and you can use it straight away. It will save you lots of time sorting out spyware later...

Mantis
-7th May 2006, 21:05
Slight bit of exaggeration there!
There's almost no learning curve to a web browser (at least until you want to learn more). Download Opera :not_worth or Firefox etc. and you can use it straight away. It will save you lots of time sorting out spyware later...

You could make it easier by providing links to Opera (http://www.opera.com) and Firefox. (http://www.getfirefox.com)

Really, you should dump IE. It has serious security issues.

wingnutLP
-8th May 2006, 07:20
Have you tried clicking the
switch editor mode in the top right when you are composing? It seems unlikley but it may help...

madfencer
-8th May 2006, 13:25
erm...where is that button?...have looked in top right and I don't see a switch editor mode?! I cant click on any buttons when composing other than the text box and send/save changes!

gbm
-8th May 2006, 15:26
You may have already read it, but:
http://fencingforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139584&postcount=1
section 1

Adam the Flatulent
-31st May 2006, 12:24
this may have already been suggested but i cudnt be bothered to read through all the posts, but woiuldn't it be easier to have a selection box for the smiles rather than putting the HTML in for them? then you can just click on the smily that you want rather than trying to remember them, mainly cause my memory sucks and i can't remember them or they go rong :(

add

gbm
-31st May 2006, 12:49
this may have already been suggested but i cudnt be bothered to read through all the posts, but woiuldn't it be easier to have a selection box for the smiles rather than putting the HTML in for them? then you can just click on the smily that you want rather than trying to remember them, mainly cause my memory sucks and i can't remember them or they go rong :(

add

a) no-one uses HTML to put smilies in, although some people may find it easier to type them directly in (and then the forum replaces the identifier e.g. :mad: with the smilie itself i.e. :mad: in the final post).
b) The smilies have already got a selection box (not on quick reply), although depending on the settings in your UserCP you may not have it enabled.

PS another handy feature of the new forum is that it is possible to show people what tags they need to use e.g. you can type:

:mad: :thumbs_up without it being translated as vB code. If you know how, of course :)

Spider5
-8th June 2006, 23:41
Time for a test - attempting smilies with IE 7:

Clicking doesn't work, trying description between colons as suggested:

:smilie: :embarrassment: :cool:

Er, partial success but a bit random.

Spider5
-8th June 2006, 23:48
Now trying it with FireFox 1.5.0.4

Clicking the smilies first:
:) :eek: :o: :whistle: :mad: :not_worth :rolleyes:

Apart from only being allowed 10 smilies - works as it should.

As Mantis says, get it here:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

27ab1c
-9th June 2006, 07:32
You may have already read it, but:
http://fencingforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139584&postcount=1
section 1

:thumbs_up Cheers, gbm, that's another rep. point for you!:)

Spider5
-9th June 2006, 08:49
Damn, my plot for FireFox world domination has been foiled.........

dferg
-9th June 2006, 10:15
Really, you should dump IE. It has serious security issues.

Yes, but so does FireFox. Hackers have not been so quisk to exploit them because in the past they've concentrated on IE as it had the bigger market share, but it looks like some are now turning their eyes on Firefox's security holes. Don't rely on your browser or is makers to keep you safe, invest in good internet security products, firewalls etc.

Spider5
-9th June 2006, 10:57
Yes, but so does FireFox. Hackers have not been so quisk to exploit them because in the past they've concentrated on IE as it had the bigger market share, but it looks like some are now turning their eyes on Firefox's security holes. Don't rely on your browser or is makers to keep you safe, invest in good internet security products, firewalls etc.

Quite. Swapping browsers is no substitute for a decent firewall and AV software. My favourites are ZoneAlarm and AVG antivirus. I just like FireFox because I think it works better & faster than IE 6 and, an admittedly beta version of, IE 7.

Marcos
-11th August 2006, 11:48
I was having same problems today- was using XP (and maybe 2000 also) in college and same thing happened.

Now though I am using Safari and it seems to be fine.

Had to click on "Smilies are ON" on the bottom left of the page to open up a link to the smilies and then do it by hand. :upset:

not bad going from an English graduate

but I can't click on smilies, or even open the "More smilies" box

I only know :0 and ;) by heart! :(

Marcos
-11th August 2006, 11:49
Have you tried clicking the
switch editor mode in the top right when you are composing? It seems unlikley but it may help...

can't click on this either

purple
-11th August 2006, 12:52

I won't get on the soapbox, but FF does have security risks. So does turning your machine on. However, FF does implement CSS, XHTML/HTML specs properly, does not get overloaded by large XML documents and doesn't take the entire OS shell down with it when it crashes.

And if a security exploit in FF is found, then it can only be partially damaging. Exploits in FF are no where near as severe as say ... an ActiveX exploit in IE6?

There is no substitute for a decent firewall and anti-virus. However your firewall will be quite happy to let port 80 traffic go in and out, and it can be a chunk of js/AJAX exploit that won't trigger your anti-virus. What's your firewall and anti-virus going to do now?

Ah, that's right. Nothing.

But neither is a change in browser. It would stop an ActiveX exploit, but not an AJAX exploit. The only thing that can stop that is some common sense.

Welcome to the new threat folks. Watch this space for AJAX exploits that'll explode in the next six months.

Marcos
-18th August 2006, 15:42
:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :pirate::sabre:

wooopieeeee

read GBM's thread in forum announcements to find out how!