PDA

View Full Version : Reports and Accounts

Robert
-8th August 2003, 20:40
I came home tonight to find the Report and Accounts on my doorstep and I had two questions. I was hoping someone might know the answer:

1, Why have legal and professional costs gone from 5000 to 37,050? A seven-fold increase surely deserves an explanation but there seems to be no mention in Treasurer's comments (p.10)?

2, Does anyone else think 17,000 is a bit steep for 'The Sword'. I assume this is just printing costs (if its printing minus advertising revenue then its really worrying). If it came down to a small A5 booklet there could be 4 or 5 issues a year and still shave 10,000 of the price. Surely money that could be better spent?

Robert

Robert
-8th August 2003, 20:44
Obviously I mean I'm hoping someone can answer the first one. The second one is just an opinion.

Robert

rpryer
-8th August 2003, 20:50
My guess would be that the legal and professional heading includes the costs of the modernisation review, matching the specific Sports Councils modernisation grant.

doobarz
-8th August 2003, 21:03
I guess you can ask the treasuer at the AGM....

Rdb811
-8th August 2003, 23:34
Printing costs are a bit of a funny thing - they tend to be very 'stepped' i.e to a large extent they are independent of the size of the magazine. (If you had a print run of one, it would probably still cost 17k- only by changing orders of magnitude of the print run can you change the costs).

One of the arguments for having a low complusary sub to the BFA would be allow The Sword to become a newspaper with a print run of c 15,000 - which I suspect would cost about the same (although I don't know that much about printing costs) but with much greater advertising revenue.

tigger
-9th August 2003, 10:01
I think the sword is a bargain at 17k! Seriously, I think it's very important that we have a regular, good quality publication ( and preferably in a glossy mag format, which lasts longer). I am personally against the reduction of the sword to 3 copies per year. For many fencers this is their main contact with the big wide world of fencing, and out in the far reaches of the British Isles it keeps many people who aren't competitive in touch with what's happening. I'm not concerned about 17k PA for it.

There's a difference between 'cost-cutting' and 'corner-cutting'.... it may be possible to get it printed cheaper, but I doubt it without reducing the quality, size or regularity of the publication, and I would be against that.

Rdb811
-9th August 2003, 10:14
At 17k it works out a quid a copy, which is what I would expect. I'll agree that cutting down the number of issues is a backward step.

Robert
-9th August 2003, 12:52
Originally posted by Rdb811
Printing costs are a bit of a funny thing - they tend to be very 'stepped' i.e to a large extent they are independent of the size of the magazine. (If you had a print run of one, it would probably still cost 17k- only by changing orders of magnitude of the print run can you change the costs).

(although I don't know that much about printing costs)

I do. I'm part of a family business which prints comparable quantities, and they depend very heavily on the size of the magazine.

However Tigger is right that you would have to reduce the quality/size to reduce the cost. The glossy format A4 is a very expensive way to print unless you go to quantities of 20,000+. But wouldn't you prefer 6 smaller issues rather than 3 large glossy magazines. (You could probably print 6 16 page A5 booklets for about 6000).

What didn't occur to me at the time was whether the postage is included. If so that is a very substantial chunk and it looks much better value.

Robert

Rdb811
-9th August 2003, 22:40
ah - that'll teach me to make one fact go along way - I was assuming that most of the cost was in the set up and the plates (based on various things I done before).

Six small issues would be better value but probably harder work to produce.