PDA

View Full Version : Mixing age groups

pinkelephant
-16th May 2006, 19:21
:dont: Organisers need to be aware of the potential pitfalls of mixing age groups. U11 and U13 age groups use small weapons, and therefore need only 350N plastrons. U15 and U17, on the other hand, use full size weapons and therefore need 800N plastrons. The two younger groups therefore SHOULD NOT be mixed with the older groups unless all are wearing 800N plastrons. If an accident were to happen with an U11 or U13 fencer wearing a 350N plastron (which they are perfectly entitled to do) fencing someone with a full size weapon, this is contrary to BFA guidelines and presumably the organisers could be held liable.

How many organisers are actually asking their referees to check plastrons anyway? I was the only person doing so on Sunday, and I found a fencer trying to compete without a plastron at all. Please remember that these are children and our first responsibility has to be their safety.

Tubby
-16th May 2006, 19:40
:dont: How many organisers are actually asking their referees to check plastrons anyway? I was the only person doing so on Sunday, and I found a fencer trying to compete without a plastron at all. Please remember that these are children and our first responsibility has to be their safety.Hear hear.