PDA

View Full Version : World Student Games

doobarz
-9th August 2003, 10:35
http://www.busa.org.uk/DisplayPage.asp?pageid=2491

Follow the news of our fencers in the World Student Games here.

doobarz
-9th August 2003, 10:59
http://www.universiade-daegu.org/

Is the official site.

Game start on 20th August.

MF - 22nd August - Richard KRUSE, David MANSOUR

WF - 25th August - Camille DATOO

ME - 26th August - Tom CADMAN, Tristan LANE

No one was available/ selected/ met the critera for WE/MS/WS I guess.

PM1
-19th August 2003, 23:34
Thanks, doobarz - you're right good at this sort of thing.....;) ;)

doobarz
-20th August 2003, 13:35
One day I'll get a job and it will all come to an end....

PM1
-20th August 2003, 23:47
Nay lad, nay : "Forever Young", as they say....;) ;)

Jambo
-21st August 2003, 00:09
Originally posted by doobarz

No one was available/ selected/ met the critera for WE/MS/WS I guess.

Who are the top BUSA male/female sabreurs anyway? Sorry, dont care about WE much!!!

doobarz
-21st August 2003, 00:22
MS L4 this year:

1 Chris BUXTON
2 Oli COULTROP
3 Julian ROSE
3 An Italian gentleman from Exeter

WS L4 This year

1 Jenny HUTCHISON
2 Naomi FARMER
3 Ellie COLLIER
3 Roz HULL

Jambo
-21st August 2003, 00:24
Didnt realise Chris Buxton was a uni student! Whats the entry requirment for the WSG's then?

doobarz
-21st August 2003, 00:30
Originally posted by Jambo
Didnt realise Chris Buxton was a uni student! Whats the entry requirment for the WSG's then?

Chris Buxton is at Northumbria! He kicke dyour ass in the Stan Calvert!

From BUSA Website.....

The Great Britain Fencing Team Selection policy

In order to be consdiered for selection you must have achieved at least one of the following:

1. A last 16 in a Senior World Cup Individual Event in the last 12 months;
or
2. A final place in a Junior World Cup Individual Event in the last 12 months;
or
3. A last 8 place as part of a Team competing in a Senior World Cup Team Event in the last 12 months

Jambo
-21st August 2003, 00:33
For the student games, sheesh, a bit harsh. I didn't do the Stan Calvert, some students have work to do at uni, I couldnt make it in time. And anyway we're going to win the Northern Premier BUSA league (LMAO). Is Chris still a student for the coming year? Gulp.

doobarz
-21st August 2003, 00:35
I believe so.... may have 2 more years.

First year, with work to do? Tut tut......

You'll never beat the Poly......

Jambo
-21st August 2003, 00:39
First year?!! I dont think, try fourth (and pulling a nine to five plus on call night work), I'm an old man! And I still have nearly two years left.

As for Chris, ahh sh*t. We might beat the poly, you never know!! We have....... er... one good sabruer and er.... me?

doobarz
-21st August 2003, 00:44
Hmm. I don't recall you fencing when I was there - have you just started?

You will learn that the Poly cannot be beaten.

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..................

:fencingsm:

Jambo
-21st August 2003, 00:48
I've been fencing for Newcastle uni for 3 years now, don't think I've ever done the Stan Calvert though. And Laszlo's for the grand total of about 3 months.

Doobarz, I was talking to you at the Brit Championships, i think.

doobarz
-21st August 2003, 00:51
Possibly. We meet at the Cole, and also at 1 Laszlo's training session before I moved South again.

Jambo
-21st August 2003, 00:54
Ah yes the Cole, I dont think either of us want to bring that result up! Which you doing this year, may venture abroad with Whizzkid. Cant do either in November though, bit annoying.

Rdb811
-21st August 2003, 00:55
I think this is just Chris Buxton's ability to pop up unexpectedly - one year he turned up in my pool in the Watford sabre (along with several other people not where they should be in the rankings) and my knee twinged as he wupped me. And then later on my elbow went. Elsewhere it was amatures night out, but could I get near them ?

It wasn't the first time I'd been run over by him either. On the other hand, I never ran into David Sach.

Jambo
-21st August 2003, 01:00
I ran into David Sach in the teams at the Brit Champs, not funny, enthusiastic amateur representing the North vs him. Got my ass kicked and he wasnt even paying attention.

Rdb811
-21st August 2003, 09:46
Nothing like being the fly on the windscreen.:(

Threestain
-22nd August 2003, 09:50
Just to let you know, the World Student Games are the 2nd in size only to the Olympics, and are treated as such by every other nation! I mean the opening ceremony was in a full 70,000 seater stadium, so you can get an impression of the thing. Plus the competitors entered are impressive (full Chinese olympic squad + more). It really is well good to be here frankly! We should really make a push to send more fencers next time, a ten year absence was long enough, and I know I'm gonna try my hardest to get here again.

By the way, Richard Kruse lost 15-13 to Mourtchin (RUS)(spelling?) in l32
and David Mansour lost 15-10ish to Zhang (CHN) I think -check details on website.

doobarz
-22nd August 2003, 10:09
And to get the results, open the page, go to the 'Game Schedule' section on the left hand side, then the 'Schedule by Sports' link there, and select fencing.

MF -

After poules:

MANSOUR - Won 4, lost 2. Seeded 21
KRUSE - Won 5, lost 1 (5-4) Seeded 7

Both got byes into the L32.

MANSOUR lost to ZHANG Liangliang (CHN)
KRUSE lost to MOLCHAN Yury (RUS)

Threestain
-22nd August 2003, 12:49
Oh and Zhang - the one that beat David - won!

Threestain
-25th August 2003, 07:48
Originally posted by Jambo
For the student games, sheesh, a bit harsh.

I don't think you quite understand the level of competition here. This is on the level of a very strong A-grade or World Championships. Its is treated as an Olympic style event by every other nation except GB where people don't even know it exists. If you think that the criteria for the games should be the final four places in the BUSA individuals then I think you might be unpleasantly surprised by their results.

To put it into context, so far Richard, David and Camille have all gone out in the last 32 despite fencing well.

In the men's epee, the SENIOR WORLD number 1, 3 and 10 are here, in addition to the Olympic Ukranian and Chinese teams. Their are very few, if any "easy fights", and none of the sort that you would find at the BUSA champs. Not that I'm putting anyone down, and I must admit I am probably very lucky to be here; its just that this is on a different level - Student sport at its best, where defeat means more than just an extra hour down the pub.

Jambo
-25th August 2003, 11:29
Hmm. I'm aware that a lot of top level athletes are students and so it'd be very hard. BUSA is not exactly the most challenging set of competitions. It's a pity it isnt more widely advertised, I'm a student and I was only very vaguely aware of it, didnt have a clue it was on now.

Threestain
-25th August 2003, 15:09
So you understand why the criteria had to be so hard, especially as many of the foreigners are "student" professional atheletes!

doobarz
-26th August 2003, 21:49
After the poules:

Tristan LANE: Won 5 Lost 1 Ranked 8th

Tom CADMAN: Won 5 Lost 0 Ranked 4th

L64 - Both have byes.

L32 Tristan LANE lost to Igor TOURCHINE (RUS) 7-15

Tom CADMAN lost to Attila ERSEK (SVK) 14-15

doobarz
-26th August 2003, 21:52
Thanks to ThreeStain for his updates from Korea, and well done to everyone out there.

Rdb811
-26th August 2003, 22:33
To complete the results:

Camille Datoo 4-2 Ranked 21

Lost LOBYNTSEVA, Olga 15 - 9 in L32

Not for me to comment, but there seems to be a trend of doing well in the pools but not getting through the DE.

Threestain
-27th August 2003, 03:34
Originally posted by Rdb811
To complete the results:

Camille Datoo 4-2 Ranked 21

Lost LOBYNTSEVA, Olga 15 - 9 in L32

Not for me to comment, but there seems to be a trend of doing well in the pools but not getting through the DE.

Well I'll fill you in a bit. After doing well in the poules all of us had byes to the last 32. Where we had some very tough fights - 4 of us lost to medallists (Zhang - gold, lobyntseva - silver, turchine and moltchan bronze). ie we had some nasty draws, after fighting through some very hard poules. Bearing in mind that only 1 of the Chinese Olympic Men's epee team got through to the last 16, and the reigning champion also lost, and the world number 3 went out to Turchine in the 8, it might seem to show why there is this "trend". Especially in epee where seeding after the poules means very little. 6 of the top 8 seeds went out after their first fight. Hopefully that gives a little perspective.

Boo Boo
-27th August 2003, 10:41
Well done to everyone out there - the achievements in the poules were really excellent and show so much promise - nice to see hard work paying off :)

Congratulations and have a good trip back.

Boo

PM1
-27th August 2003, 11:59
Can I second Boo Boo's comments, please?? And thanks for keeping us informed on the forum site, threestain and doobarz. Been good comment from you, too.;) ;)

Rdb811
-27th August 2003, 23:57
Originally posted by Threestain
6 of the top 8 seeds went out after their first fight. Hopefully that gives a little perspective.

Eeek !!:upset:

Thanks for the eye witness accounts.