PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Welsh Student Fencers

gbm
-24th May 2006, 23:17
Righty then...
Due to my friend taking over selection of the team, he has asked me to post a thread (this one) looking for Welsh student fencers eligible and available to fence in the Student 5 Nations (weekend of 10th June).

The men's sabre team is pretty much sorted, and we've got some ideas for the men's foil team; the rest is pretty much open. Any suggestions?

The late notice is a little ridiculous, but not my friend's fault - he's just picking up pieces.

Welsh eligibility rules are:
Born in Wales
Parent or Grandparent born in Wales
Have lived in Wales for a year
Have fenced for Wales

but I think it's also fine if you just attend a Welsh uni.

gbm
-24th May 2006, 23:20
If you do have any suggestions, PM me (gbm) or Russell1985.

strawberry
-26th May 2006, 15:30
I'm guessing you're not looking for women then. On the Welsh membership thing, just wondering, are you still eligible for membership of you have lived in Wales for over a year?
If you're looking for students it may be worth sending an email to uni clubs in Wales, chances are someone from Aber may want to go.

Russell1985
-26th May 2006, 22:30
We're organising the women's team too i'm afraid. We've contact all welsh uni's (including Aber) and as yet have recieved no responses. Anyone who knows of appropriate fencers PLEASE pm details to us asap.

Also if anyone has contact details for Stephen Tarling could they get back to me.

Cheers all.

The Tooth Fairy
-1st June 2006, 09:53
Has Wales managed to get a team together? Will they still be coming?

Russell1985
-1st June 2006, 13:14
We've got MS and MF pretty much sorted. I haven't heard anything about ME. In terms of WF there just doesn't seem to be anybody interested.:upset:

Nick_C
-26th February 2007, 23:33
It's that time of year again!

The Welsh Student Fencing Team is looking for fencers to be selected for the Student 5 Nations, to be held on April 21st in Cardiff.

If you are a forumite from a University, please can you ask around you club for potential Welsh fencers.

Selection Criteria: You have to be Welsh (min: one grandparent Welsh), or be attending a Welsh University, or have lived in Wales for at least one year. Oh yeah ,and minor point ,you have to be a student, or have studied at at University this academic year.

If you or someone you know is interested in forwarding your name (plus which weapon you/they fence, and level of fencing experience), please PM me, or gbm, or Russell1985, or email ntc999@hotmail.com

Alternatively, our Facebook group is http://lboro.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2245141945
Please join it if you fit the criteria!

Hope to hear from people soon!

pinkelephant
-26th February 2007, 23:35
I've got a dog who was born in Wales and was a student till 1976. Will that do?

pinkelephant
-26th February 2007, 23:36
I've just read that again. I was a student till 1976, not the dog. (He is fairly remarkable, but not THAT remarkable).

pinkelephant
-26th February 2007, 23:38
:bye1: I think I'd better go to bed.

silvercross
-27th February 2007, 10:31
We've got two Welshies (no pun intended). I'll pass the word along to them.

UWBCS
-27th February 2007, 12:21
are posted here now. That should give you some ideas.

Daft question I know but have you emailed the Welsh university clubs? You might have more response that way, rather than from a facebook site only advertised on this forum.

Nick_C
-27th February 2007, 12:23
Hi everyone, thanks for the support so far.

UWBCS - i did email all the Welsh Unis i could get email addresses for; Cardiff, Swansea, Aber, Bangor & Lampeter. I will email them again I think.

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 10:12
Anyone know how i might be able to contact Marc Burkhalter or Alistair Brooke - are they still students?

Maxim
-2nd March 2007, 11:16
I am pretty sure both have graduated.

Gangsta G
-2nd March 2007, 12:08
Don't know if you have already asked them, but would suggest you ask:

Lenny (I'm sure you've asked her already gbm) WF
Anna Gover (Birmingham) WF
Tim Perry (Durham) ME

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 12:10
Don't know if you have already asked them, but would suggest you ask:

Lenny (I'm sure you've asked her already gbm) WF
Anna Gover (Birmingham) WF
Tim Perry (Durham) ME

Hi. Actually we've got Lenny&TimPerry already signed up. Any contact details for Anna? And is her preference WF or WS?

Gangsta G
-2nd March 2007, 12:11
Hi. Actually we've got Lenny&TimPerry already signed up. Any contact details for Anna? And is her preference WF or WS?Anna is a foilist who fences sabre. What weapon she'd prefer to fence, I don't know. She's on facebook, I'll PM you some contact details as well.

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 13:22
Hi . Thanks for the PM. I've been on facebook a while and can't find her/anyone who knows her who knows me/any group she belongs to... Rather than ring her, can i ask you to invite her to join the Welsh fencing facebook group please? thanx. Otherwise i may see her this weekend.

Gangsta G
-2nd March 2007, 14:32
Sent her a message with a link to this thread and the facebook group.

Lenny
-2nd March 2007, 14:37
Why is it that only Wales are recruiting on the forum, are you official types just really organised??

D'Artignan
-2nd March 2007, 14:41
Why is it that only Wales are recruiting on the forum, are you official types just really organised??The Scots have already selected their team, so no need to go begging for fencers:nanananan

Lenny
-2nd March 2007, 14:46
and the english, what's their plan?

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 14:52
The Scots have already selected their team, so no need to go begging for fencers:nanananan

Oohhhh them's fightin words!!! Our mighty Welsh warriors will crush your puny scottish butts!

D'Artignan
-2nd March 2007, 14:57
You guys are getting nowhere near our butts. And most of them are more on the "ample" side than the "puny" side.:nanananan

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 15:01
ru fencing? please tell me MS lol ;)

D'Artignan
-2nd March 2007, 15:05
I wouldn't like to give away any of the team selections. Besides, I've already fenced you at MS for our respective Unis a couple of years ago.:tongue:

Gangsta G
-2nd March 2007, 15:07
and the english, what's their plan?World domination. With pigeonmeister in their team they shouldn't go wrong.

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 15:15
I wouldn't like to give away any of the team selections. Besides, I've already fenced you at MS for our respective Unis a couple of years ago.:tongue:

hmm yes but you have the advantage of knowing which Uni i'm at! I dont share the same knowledge of you!... i'm assuming we beat u tho... [at sabre anyway lol, think we lost overall] I think MTF wasn't there.

pigeonmeister
-2nd March 2007, 15:45
World domination. With pigeonmeister in their team they shouldn't go wrong.

I'm afraid they won't have me in the team, even if they ask me again (and I have no idea if they will). Just checked and I'll be on a research trip to America for the second half of April and first half of May...what's more the Uni are paying!!

It's a forgone conclusion, obviously, that whatever teams England select it will be an easy overall victory again!!

D'Artignan
-2nd March 2007, 15:53
hmm yes but you have the advantage of knowing which Uni i'm at! I dont share the same knowledge of you!... i'm assuming we beat u tho... [at sabre anyway lol, think we lost overall] I think MTF wasn't there.I don't think he was there either, but yeah, we did kick your lots collective butt. Can't remember who won the sabre, but since our lot were rubbish, I'll assume it wasn't us.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the day we get another away draw against you lot. I seem to recall seeing some fine examples of femalehood while I was there:grin:

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 16:05
well it was exactly two years to the day! how exciting is that? And, not that i'm overly cynical or anything, but i think we had a home women's match that day, so you're probably thinking of some fit Northumbria girls lol.

D'Artignan
-2nd March 2007, 16:17
It was more the volume of fit females (in both senses of the phrase) on campus in general that did it for me. Pretty sure that the feeling wasn't returned though.

gbm
-7th March 2007, 10:44
Somebody has told me that Sian Lloyd (Women's Foilist) is a student. Does anybody know where?

pigeonmeister
-7th March 2007, 11:17
So your trying to recruit weather girls now!!

mcvicar
-7th March 2007, 21:24
So what's going on? At what point is selection being discussed by all the uni's?

Spoke to those who were at Bangor (where were you Cardiff?) and nobody seemed to have any info/knowledge.

Could whoever is running the selection process email the uni clubs with something that can be forwarded to all Welsh fencers, please. I understand that emails have been sent last year but at least two presidents denied all knowledge when I asked so a reminder may gee things up a bit. This should allow Wales to put in the best team from all the universities, hopefully.

Nick_C
-8th March 2007, 01:57
Could whoever is running the selection process email the uni clubs with something that can be forwarded to all Welsh fencers, please.

What would you have us say?

mcvicar
-8th March 2007, 14:51
What would you have us say?

I would have though a more general advertisement for the competition that can be emailed to all fencers directing them to approach their club if they wish to apply and giving them details if they wish to support the team.

Clubs to put forward their nominations and then a debate/selection amongst all the unis.

In all fairness the ideal time to do this would have been the Welsh Uni's comp, but as I have said before, no-one seemed to know what was going on.

As no-one from Cardiff was there (surprising for last years winners) still none the wiser.

Quick aside, I notice Wrekin Sword on your signature block. Maybe I fenced you last year, Wellington, on a Tuesday night? Ken as the coach?

Nick_C
-18th March 2007, 21:11
All Welsh University clubs have now been emailed.

PS: You possibly did fence me, although I haven't fenced regularly at that club since Sept 2004. I do pop in and out tho. Ken Holding is my coach there.

Russell1985
-27th March 2007, 14:37
Well some fool has got me picking the welsh men's foil team again. I could really do with suggestions/volunteers. Plus - If anyone has Steve Tarlings contact details could they PM me. Cheers all.

pigeonmeister
-28th March 2007, 12:04
BTW- Loving the catfight on the Welsh Facebook group!

silvercross
-28th March 2007, 14:05
Makes for interesting reading when bored...:rolling:

D'Artignan
-28th March 2007, 14:31
That facebook group is brilliant. And I thought the Scots were the masters of in-bickering and b!tching at each other.:rolling:

Nick_C
-28th March 2007, 16:30
now you know better!!

PS Pete, i gave Andy Steve's number at the weekend.

Russell1985
-29th March 2007, 00:05
Cheers Nick, contacted him today. No reply yet.

Nick_C
-2nd September 2008, 14:38
Dear All Welsh Student fencers & Non-welsh fencers studying at uni in Wales,

If you're interested in fencing for Wales at the Student 5 Nations this year, probably to be held in Bristol in June sometime, then please join the facebook group below! Many thanks! Or see either myself or Olivia Orchard.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24817572627

Best of luck for the coming season!

pinkelephant
-2nd September 2008, 17:49
see either myself or Olivia Orchard.

Didn't know she'd taken to growing apples!

Rdb811
-2nd September 2008, 21:40
Or see either myself or Olivia Orchard.

I thought you had Olivia Groves ?

Bayston
-3rd September 2008, 09:35
Don't get it wrong I accidently called her Orchard at the 5 nations this year, she very quickly corrected me! :p

DSSabre
-11th September 2008, 10:53
So how did the team do??? World domination next year?

DS

jamesthornton
-11th September 2008, 13:26
in what way shape or form do you think that Wales will ever beat England in this event.....

Maybe if it was 5 nations sheep sheering you would have a chance :rolleyes:

DSSabre
-11th September 2008, 13:38
I believe Mr Thornton that the only person who is better at shearing sheep than the Welsh is you.

Besides it was not long ago that the Welsh sabre team defeated ENgland in the senior Commonwealth Championships. If that is possible then of course we can destroy you and your england team at the University 5 nations.

DS

jamesthornton
-11th September 2008, 16:29
Only have you have trained me so well have been this good at the shearing of said sheep. however..... a one weapon incident a few years ago, which i heard had some very appauling abuse of a pupil by his coach, some might cal this cheating is no reason to get above your status and think you could possibly beat england overall at the student 5 nations

DSSabre
-11th September 2008, 16:48
ha ha ha

its called sportsmanship. Something you would never dream of Mr play for passivity.

DS

Nick_C
-23rd September 2008, 22:34
The welsh team is shaping up nicely, and will no doubt make sheepskin rugs of the puny english this year!! :p

Dalesman
-27th September 2008, 22:41
The welsh team is shaping up nicely, and will no doubt make sheepskin rugs of the puny english this year!! :p

Yea and the pigs are a flying :whistle: