PDA

View Full Version : Forum Reputation

Winwaloe
-25th May 2006, 16:09
May I suggest that when someone leaves a comment on the reputation area it is signed/attributed. This will then allow a response if required. For example, someone asked why I argue so much. Had I have known who made the comment I could have replied that often argument lifts a post that may be simply boring or completely banal. Argument and/or debate often makes those involved and those on the periphery think more about the subject and the points and issues being raised. Sometimes it may change opinions and perhaps, but just perhaps, if the argument rages sufficiently something may be done to address that particular issue. Also, a little argument is FUN :grin:

gbm
-25th May 2006, 16:31
Part of the idea behind the reputation system is that it is anonymous - a person can indicate how they feel without the receipient knowing who has posted this.

Although it is annoying when people post negative feedback without any sort of explanation on posts that aren't even being argumentative e.g. this one of mine:
http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142605#post142605
If someone could explain why this deserved negative feedback, I'd love to know!

But mostly you just have to take the rough with the smooth and accept it. There's no point complaining about rep - it really isn't that important.

Rdb811
-25th May 2006, 16:37
There's no point complaining about rep - it really isn't that important.

Which would suggest it's a useless feature.

randomsabreur
-25th May 2006, 16:37
How do I tell if I've had any reputation?

Probably being a bit thick!

Rdb811
-25th May 2006, 16:39
It's somewhere in teh user CP - or the number of green squares you have.

Winwaloe
-25th May 2006, 16:49
It wasn't a complaint it was just an idea and I completely agree with you that it really does not matter. If I am going to put my head above the trench top I expect to be shot at!

gbm
-25th May 2006, 17:15
The posts on which you have received 'reputation' most recently are displayed at the bottom of your User CP. At the top right of that box (at the bottom of the page) is your points value.

The complaining thing is more a personal thing - I've had about 10 negative reps (rough guess) at least, many of them for no obvious reason... so having a moan has always been tempting, but pointless.

randomsabreur
-25th May 2006, 17:24
Looks like I haven't had any then...

Twohat
-25th May 2006, 20:32
Also, a little argument is FUN :grin:

No it isn't. And a big argument even less so. (Your turn) ;-)

randomsabreur
-25th May 2006, 22:29
Wasn't a rep hunting post, I was just confused. Ta for the rep - now I know where to find it when/if I get any in the future. I've got one of each colour, all in a row, very pretty!

No longer confused

R

Winwaloe
-26th May 2006, 09:55

Ohhhhh YES IT IS! :nanananan :rolling: :grin:

Gav
-26th May 2006, 11:34
Which would suggest it's a useless feature.

Y' know I get really irritated when people post comments like this.

Rep is only as important as the community decide it is.

It can give an idea of the relative worth of a member's contributions to the community. It can also be hijacked by idiots.

I like the fact that you can be rewarded by your peers. It's nice to know what people think is good, or bad. For that reason I would appreciate it if you stuck a comment next to your rep award.

Sumerian Haze
-26th May 2006, 11:37

Ohhhhh YES IT IS! :nanananan :rolling: :grin:

That's not an arguement - that's a pantomime!

Winwaloe
-26th May 2006, 13:35
Y' know I get really irritated when comments like this.

It can give an idea of the relative worth of a member's contributions to the community. It can also be hijacked by idiots.

I like the fact that you can be rewarded by your peers. It's nice to know what people think is good, or bad. For that reason I would appreciate it if you stuck a comment next to your rep award.

Ah but Gav, have you not created a monster? You keep a good eye on what is happening on the Forum and don't allow anything to get out of hand. But, if I now want to put a comment agin your rep I could put something really horrible and insulting and you woudl not know who it is from and therefore cannot police it. Or am I wrong?

Winwaloe
-26th May 2006, 13:38
That's not an arguement - that's a pantomime!

Oooooooohhh you naughty person you are right. But when Jack and the Beans talk all ad ins are allowed! And remember when on the piste don't Look Behind You!!!!

Gav
-26th May 2006, 19:31
Ah but Gav, have you not created a monster? You keep a good eye on what is happening on the Forum and don't allow anything to get out of hand. But, if I now want to put a comment agin your rep I could put something really horrible and insulting and you woudl not know who it is from and therefore cannot police it. Or am I wrong?

I am the all-seeing eye. You have been warned ...

Adam the Flatulent
-31st May 2006, 13:38
so r the colours just 'green' good and 'red' bad? or is there more?

add

Winwaloe
-31st May 2006, 19:09
so r the colours just 'green' good and 'red' bad? or is there more?

add

I seem to have got a blue one as well. Should have been amber then it would resemble traffic lights.

wingnutLP
-1st June 2006, 08:00
blue is from someone who does noyt yet have the ability to give rep eg less than 50 posts.

Winwaloe
-1st June 2006, 16:30
I am the all-seeing eye. You have been warned ...

So Gav, are you rather like the baddy wizard chap in Lord of the Rings? He has an all seing eye although some people insist that it is not an eye but a somewhat different part of the anatomy. Which reminds me of a joke, is there a joke page on the forum (I don't mean the epee section!)

NomDePlume
-1st June 2006, 18:10
What the hell is wrong with you?

You have just called the forum moderator a ****?!

Why? What has he done to you?

You, my friend have sunk even lower in my estimations....

Gav
-2nd June 2006, 16:34
Whoa!

I've already Pm'd Winwaloe about this. No need for anyone to get all worked up about it - I can fight my own battles thanks.

For the record: the "all seeing eye" is a reference to my User Title.

I could change that to "Eschaton" - I've been thinking about that for a wee while, or "the eye in the pyramid". Or perhaps even more obscurely "Herman" - rep to anyone who figures that last one out

Those in the know will understand what I am talking about; and hence won't talk about it!

Winwaloe
-5th June 2006, 13:36
What the hell is wrong with you?

You have just called the forum moderator a ****?!

Why? What has he done to you?

You, my friend have sunk even lower in my estimations....

My dear chap/chappess. I have called the moderator (whom I don't know personally but I have respect for his position) nothing at all. By all means vent your spleen and distribute your angst but please do so where it is deserved. I have sent Gav a CP apologising unreservedly if he took the posting in any way other than it was meant. I can assure you that I had no intention of insulting him. If you re-read my post you will see that the comment you so object to is tied in with the next comment about a joke.

Gav
-5th June 2006, 13:43
I think we have had a an outbreak of harmony. I have also apologised to Winwaloe for my irate PM. It was an over-reaction. Not heard back from NdP but assume he has been suitably chastened.

Winwaloe
-5th June 2006, 13:51
Now, about these Orks? Or perhaps we Ork not to go there:rolling:

Winwaloe
-5th June 2006, 13:58
Well I always used to fence sabre. i did fence epee once in the Cambridge open but that is another story. Sabreurs always seem to collect the insults so I thought we should have a fairer distribution. As I teach/coach foil I can't really say too much there but as I never go to an epee comp........ Mind you I am delighted that our club epee coach is now learning a proper weapon!! Actually sabreurs and epeeists should probably stand united as they both have derivatives of proper swords!

husy
-4th July 2006, 19:56
Y' know I get really irritated when people post comments like this.

Really true I find reputation useful, it is the only way I can see how good my posts are.

Cymru Fach
-4th July 2006, 21:16
Do you gain and lose a point when reputation is given to you? For example if someone approves of your post and gives you rep do you gain 1 point of multiple points?

Thanks,
CF

Baldric
-4th July 2006, 21:20
Really true I find reputation useful, it is the only way I can see how good my posts are.

Hi Husy

I would not take reputation that seriously.

IMHO you should judge your posts on whether they

1) Contribute in a meaningful way to the thread topic

2) Are easily understood by everyone, including old fogeys like me, and the grammar nazis :rolleyes:

If you commit to only making posts that are likely to get positive rep, then you limit your opportunities to post interesting viewpoints that run counter to the accepted wisdom.

I am probably misquoting G B Shaw here, but I think he said something like "The reasonable man adjusts himself to the world. The unreasonable man insists on adjusting the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." GBH would probably have got plenty of negative rep.

So don't worry to much about rep. Just make useful, sensible posts!

Regards

Baldric

Cymru Fach
-4th July 2006, 21:21
Baldric is educating our minds with literature and also making his point! Very intelligent!

CF

27ab1c
-4th July 2006, 22:17
Baldric is educating our minds with literature and also making his point! Very intelligent!

CF

Yeah, but we grammar nazis are watching out...

husy
-5th July 2006, 20:30
Hi Husy

I would not take reputation that seriously.

IMHO you should judge your posts on whether they

1) Contribute in a meaningful way to the thread topic

2) Are easily understood by everyone, including old fogeys like me, and the grammar nazis :rolleyes:

If you commit to only making posts that are likely to get positive rep, then you limit your opportunities to post interesting viewpoints that run counter to the accepted wisdom.

I am probably misquoting G B Shaw here, but I think he said something like "The reasonable man adjusts himself to the world. The unreasonable man insists on adjusting the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." GBH would probably have got plenty of negative rep.

So don't worry to much about rep. Just make useful, sensible posts!

Regards

Baldric

Thank you Baldric for you’re advice.

Red
-5th July 2006, 22:11
Thank you Baldric for you’re advice.

We Grammar Nazis are always watching.....

Marcos
-10th July 2006, 10:43
Yeah, but we grammar nazis are watching out...

Yes, but we, Grammer Nazis, keep a constant watch...

??

Old Mongoose
-10th July 2006, 19:29
http://www.mahjqa.com/stuff/grammarnazi.gif

Just for you Marcos ;)

Red
-10th July 2006, 19:56
http://www.mahjqa.com/stuff/grammarnazi.gif

Just for you Marcos ;)

Mongoose, I salute you!

Marcos
-21st July 2006, 12:34
Very worrying Old 'Goose...and yet mesmerising

blue is from someone who does noyt yet have the ability to give rep eg less than 50 posts.

but will the blue turn into another colour ?

I have a few blue balls (ahem) but don;t know whether they are wannabe green or red balls.

Insipiens
-21st July 2006, 13:21
Yes, but we, Grammer Nazis, keep a constant watch...

??
Even if we cannot spell grammar. ;)

Old Mongoose
-21st July 2006, 13:27
Even if we cannot spell grammar. ;)
Ah no!!

Marcos caught me with that once. Why oh why did I not see that!? :grin:

Edit: Hey, finally found that Reputation thing. Sorry to people who have posted and I didn't respond :upset: Me no speaky de 'puter language.

Marcos
-21st July 2006, 14:35
but will the blue turn into another colour ?

I have a few blue balls (ahem) but don;t know whether they are wannabe green or red balls.

since then i have received a couple more blue balls...

is it just impressionable newbies that read my posts...??