PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth & Southsea LPJS results

Baldric
-4th June 2006, 18:51
U11, U13 and U15 results available at http://www.hampshirefencing.org.uk/LPJS/2006/results.htm (http://www.hampshirefencing.org.uk/LPJS/2006/results.htm)

Under 9 results will be posted as soon as I get them. (The U9 tournament was run on paper, not in Enguarde, and someone else has the paper!)

Lots of forumites or their kids featured in the medals - congrats to all of them.

A very high standard of fencing in all sections, and well behaved kids (and parents/coaches) who it was a pleasure to have there.

Thanks to all of you for coming. We look forward to seeing you next year.

Goodwood
-4th June 2006, 19:27
Thanks Baldric for getting these results up so quickly and I quite agree about the standard of fencing and the well behaved entrants/coaches/parents.

Also it must be said that the organisation was superb and the referees were fantastic (especially for the U13 girls on saturday) So in a nutshell thank you to all at Portsmouth and Southsea for a great weekend of fencing.

P.S Please hold another next year. rumors rumors!!!

Touché Turtle
-4th June 2006, 19:42
Sorry we had to miss it this year - family commitment elsewhere.
Sounds like it was a good one, see you there next year. :)

Baldric
-4th June 2006, 20:29
.... and the referees were fantastic (especially for the U13 girls on saturday)......

Who can you mean? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: CREEP! :grin: :grin:

P.S Please hold another next year. rumors rumors!!!

Our super-organiser, Jenny Morris, deserves fantastic praise for organising this years event, bearing in mind that she was competing herself in the European Vets Champs last weekend. Its hard to believe bearing in mind the slick organisation this weekend - she must have taken her laptop with her.

I can understand that she would not wish to put herself through similar trauma next year, so a change of date is being sought. I will keep you updated.

Congrats to Goodwood Major on his excellent result, and best of luck to Goodwood Minor in recovering from his op in time for the EYC U13.

Baldric
-4th June 2006, 21:26
While on the subject, thanks are also due to 27ab1c, who innocently came along with his daughter, and got dragooned into refereeing a pool of U11 girls.

I had to chuckle when the (devoutly Welsh) Ab1 was presented with her prize, which included an England supporters kit!

27ab1c
-4th June 2006, 21:40
Innocent, moi? The girls were perfectly well behaved and in many cases decent fencers, too. OK, so one wild, flailing attack knocked the pool sheet from my hand, but it was just the one and there are no scars.

Anyone want to buy an England World Cup glass?

Well done to Jenny and her gang. She said there were a couple of delays getting the under-15 girls started. Believe me: that was clockwork compared to some - no worries.

Baldric
-4th June 2006, 21:54
Well done to Jenny and her gang. She said there were a couple of delays getting the under-15 girls started. Believe me: that was clockwork compared to some - no worries.

Jenny's idea of a delay - the pools needed re-drawing, which took approx 6 minutes. The pools still started less than 30 minutes after check in closed, to the very great credit of the backroom staff.

blademouse
-5th June 2006, 06:56
I agree with all the above and would like to thank the organisers etc. It was a well run competition and very enjoyable.

Just one point. Can organisers please make sure that referees get the poule sheets signed. One of the poules in the U15 boys was not signed by any of the fencers and in fact results had been transcribed as two boys had the same first name. This did impact on the seedings and of course ultimately on the finishing places.

It is a lesson for the fencers to ensure that they sign it and that age they should know, but on the other hand it can be hard for them to tell when the poule is ending and with the pressure on space and the heat in hall, fencers were wandering away to get water etc. and were not called back by the referee.

So a lesson learned for the future but it certainly spoilt one fencers day to have his hard fought victories given to another competitor!

pinkelephant
-5th June 2006, 08:41
The rule has been changed. Fencers are no longer expected to sign the pool sheet; instead, the referee is supposed to announce clearly, to both fencers, the result at the end of each fight, using surnames so there can be no ambiguity (forenames as well if 2 fencers have the same surname).

blademouse
-5th June 2006, 09:01
That is interesting! Well, that certainly didn't happen or everyone would have realised. In this case it was first name that was the same and the referee just confirmed the first names at the start of each fight. I think it was exacerbated by the fact that one of the fencers was left-handed and so was often at the "wrong" end of the piste.

He was told that the reason it could not be changed once the seedings were posted up was because he hadn't signed the sheet (along with all the others) and so it was his fault.

Perhaps the referees can just make sure that everyone knows whether there will be signing or not, so the fencer knows when to check the result.

Certainly the same referee insisted on signatures for the next round.

Touché Turtle
-5th June 2006, 09:12
I knew about the no-need-to-sign rule, but thought the referee was supposed to announce at the end of the poule the number of vicories for each fencer, and ensure they all agreed?
It's all very well the ref announcing the score at the end of the fight, but it is still easy to write the wrong thing down on the poule sheet. Let's face it, we've all seen it happen or even done it ourselves!:o:

AMC
-5th June 2006, 09:14
A very good competition, On another topic, we has a presidents down on both days, It was noticeable that this year for the first time that most of the fencers that we presided did not shake Hands.

Tubby
-5th June 2006, 12:44
A very good competition, On another topic, we has a presidents down on both days, It was noticeable that this year for the first time that most of the fencers that we presided did not shake Hands.Nip it in the bud!

Also, how many times were parents letting spool wires go to zip back for half the length of the piste? A number of spools had to be replaced over the two days, not that I can prove a direct correlation other than the number of time I winced = number of times spool wire let go = 6 times (after which time I lifted out of my lethergy (its hot down safh) to say something).

27ab1c
-5th June 2006, 17:42
[QUOTE=Tubby]Nip it in the bud!

QUOTE]

Absolutely - it's nearly always stems from ignorance rather than carelessness (spools) or spite (handshake) and takes only a quiet word or explanation to put right, at least with the younger age-groups.

Baldric
-5th June 2006, 18:12
The rule has been changed. Fencers are no longer expected to sign the pool sheet; instead, the referee is supposed to announce clearly, to both fencers, the result at the end of each fight, using surnames so there can be no ambiguity (forenames as well if 2 fencers have the same surname).

OOPS! I certainly wasn't doing that. I have a terrible memory for names, and anyway, all U13 girls seem to be called Amy. My usual approach is to confirm the name of each fencer at the beginning of the fight, and write L for left or R for right in the relevant pool sheet box. Thereafter I just refer to them as left and right - it saves me getting confused.

Baldric
-5th June 2006, 18:23
Under 9 results will be posted as soon as I get them.

Under 9 results now posted.

http://www.hampshirefencing.org.uk/LPJS/2006/results.htm

The Great Four.
-11th June 2006, 15:59
Very well done to all organisers, as it was a smoothly run comp with very little delay in between stages.

Thankyou very much,
Max