PDA

View Full Version : LIUF Results

Red
-4th June 2006, 22:02
Has anyone got them yet?

Maxim
-4th June 2006, 23:03
Sabre: 1st. D.Ryan 2nd T. Olphin 3rd V. Langton and ????
Epee: 1st T. Bennett
Foil: 1st A. Wood, 2nd A. Emery

canco
-5th June 2006, 13:54
I know there was an Irish contingent in epee, Eoin O'Hanlon was one of the 3rd placed.

J_D
-6th June 2006, 00:47
Damnit you guys have comp while I started my exams today Grrrrrrrrrrr...ranting

pigeonmeister
-6th June 2006, 15:14
Good fun, but organisers were totaly out of their depth and I think it was a bit sneaky how they moved the goal posts for the overall cup. The entry form said top 3 positions by a University would be added up to give a total. This was as it has been every other year, and how our Club president was told again before the competition. There was even a sheet stuck on the wall of the sports hall that said the same!

Birmingham got two runners up and a bronze- I can't see how any other uni bettered this.

Yet for presentations a completely new system was announced! Something about taking the top 20% of all weapons and ranking points on how they finished. Obviously this gave preference to uni's entering more people and low and behold UCL (the organisers) end up winning. When questioned- apparantely this new system had been thought up weeks ago, they just thought that we would telepathicaly know that the goal posts had been shifted for the first time ever!

It's hard to have a go at student organisers doing it for the first time at a semi serious comp, but frankly this was the last straw of a huge line of cock ups and if you take money you have to provide some degree of competence. I hate to say, but nobody knew how to run a comp there. They even layed and taped the piste the wrong way up- not that they could get it to work when they layed it the right way. 65 fencers in the L64. Some poules with 4 people in and some with 7. Errrors in ranking, no 2nd round of poules as announced, making up of poule results, no printer, pistes not properly marked out, no presidents (the 1/4 finalists had to preside each other!) Drawing up poules on entry list not check in list. I finished poule before 12 and didn't fence again til 3.30! It was farsical, Every person I spoke to said it was the worst run comp they had ever seen.

To be fair they did apologise, but it was worse than the Leicester- I kid you not.

Maxim
-6th June 2006, 16:19
Totally agree with pigeonmeister. Its a shame that an event with such a good reputation turned into a farse.Hopefully they have learnt the lesson and will be back on tracks next year (that is of course provided there are any entries next year).

Russell1985
-6th June 2006, 17:10
Yeah - it was very disappointing - it's the first time I’d attended and I’d heard really good things from previous years. I can sympathise with the organisers who obviously didn't know what they were getting into. What I’m less sympathetic to is the attitude they took when people offered to help - very rude and dismissive. If a competition is going well and people keep bugging you I know it’s annoying, but when you’ve taped your finals piste upside down, not connected it to the box and have your tower lights the wrong way round, isn’t it about time to accept any help offered. As for the one round of pools in an unseeded competition, lets just say that there were a ridiculous number of DE’s where much lower seeds knocked out much higher seeds (both my 1st fights included – both times ranked 43rd and knocking out 20ish).

Old Mongoose
-6th June 2006, 19:06
I finished poule before 12 and didn't fence again til 3.30! It was farsical.

I don't understand why there had to be a hour's break for lunch as well :upset:

If you want food, get it between the poules and the DE or between the DE's themselves *shrug*

The 3-4 hour wait was a tad long. Ran a bit smoother on Sunday I believe, but at least the organisers acknowledged they were out of their depth.

canco
-6th June 2006, 23:03
I was going to bite my tongue but as people have begun I'll continue!

Last year I went and it was fantastic, this year I still had fun but it was REALLY disappointing. The lack of seeding meant that there was no one really willing to preside in poules and some confident novices took over. Fair play to them, but some of them were appalling... attacks failed being called attacks off targets was my favourite.

They weren't going to start the sabre poules until they could start them all together. After several people suggested it, they started the poules individually.

Saturday also ran on so long that by the time I had eaten and gone to the chosen location, there were huge queues and it was packed. So we didn't go in! I know I wasn't in the only group to do this! So the social side of it fell
down as a consequence to it running so long (could have been solved by a shorter lunch!)

Red
-6th June 2006, 23:18
The lack of seeding meant that there was no one really willing to preside in poules and some confident novices took over. Fair play to them, but some of them were appalling... attacks failed being called attacks off targets was my favourite.

Being one of those confident novice types, many apologies for the first half of the sabre L32 fight between Love and Schroiff (sp.), though that was the only problematic bout for me.

gbm
-7th June 2006, 12:28
I was going to bite my tongue but as people have begun I'll continue!

Didn't want to start the moaning myself!

They weren't going to start the sabre poules until they could start them all together. After several people suggested it, they started the poules individually.

Not exactly - they couldn't start the sabre poules until the epee poules had been drawn. This took them about an hour, and they still screwed it up. Counting the number of fencers who have signed in, and comparing it to the number on the computer is not rocket science.
From what I saw they really didn't look like they knew what they were doing.
In the end they still screwed it up horribly, leading to nearly every poule having a scratch in, some having several.
I wasn't there on the Saturday morning, but I understand they had the same problem.
When a UCL alumni got his computer out, the sabre competition was transferred to it by flash drive, and I stuck my nose in. Me and the alumni (who was very helpful) did the computer check-in from their completed sign-in sheet, compared it to the computer list, added a few missing people, and drew the poules. At this point (about 10:30?) we were still looking at two rounds of poules, so I drew small poules of 5's or 6's - we knew this would be a squeeze (9 poules when only 3 were available after the epee had just gone out) but figured it would be two waves plus poules going out where short epee poules had been. We then transferred this back to the computer with the printer and started distributing poule sheets. We also put a sheet up on the wall with the poules on (and for the first few poules, their pistes, although I admit I didn't keep this updated). As far as I am aware, this was the only thing up on the wall other than lists of entries and seedings. I started helping enter epee results until my sabre poule (the last out) was called.
There were no errors in the sabre poules.
This tells me that their sign-in technique was OK, they just didn't check the computers lists properly.

Saturday also ran on so long that by the time I had eaten and gone to the chosen location, there were huge queues and it was packed. So we didn't go in! I know I wasn't in the only group to do this! So the social side of it fell down as a consequence to it running so long (could have been solved by a shorter lunch!)

An hour for lunch is a bit excessive... but if they hadn't screwed it all up to start with...

Other moans:
As mentioned, taping a carpet piste upside down. A friend who told them this, and asked whether it was deliberate was told 'it doesn't matter for foil'. They turned it over Sunday morning (but again they taped it down by the edges, not the ends)...
14 pistes in a 6 court hall with one court occupied by sleeping area is far too many. The pistes down one side weren't too bad (although maybe that's just in comparison), but the 4 pistes running the opposite direction on one badminton court was ridiculous. One piste had less than a metre to the wall - on the referees side. Between the two pistes in the middle, again the referees space, was probably about a metre and a half.
No runoff anywhere, I don't believe any wires were taped down (I could be wrong). The pistes were marked out with tape all around their edges (which was good) but some didn't have any engarde, centre or warning lines or ticks marked (which is bad).
It does seem a shame, since for many people this was their first competition, for some people it was their first UK competition (we did have to tell people that UK competitions are not usually this bad), and some people had flown half-way around the world to compete in an event that finally ended up pretty random due to the lack of seedings.
For example, in the sabre I seeded 10th after an easy poule out of 47. I fenced the 23rd seed, who had mentioned how hard his poule was before he had even fenced it. I lost by something like 15-2, and the 23rd (out of 47) seed finished joint third in the end.

Finally it was extremely annoying having sent small poules out with the intention of having two rounds, and having completed the first, to discover that they now felt there wasn't enough time to run another. At 1pm! In sabre! Most competitions don't even start till sometime after that as the epeeists and foilists clear the pistes...

fencingmatt
-11th June 2006, 17:16
I got last 16 in bopth foil and epee, which I am pleased with considering I was sleeping on the floor with no sleeping bag the night before and hardly got a wink. Congratulations to the winnders. I especially enjoyed watching the men's foil finals and semi-finals. Great stuff!