PDA

View Full Version : Editing

Adam the Flatulent
-19th June 2006, 14:54
why when i try to edit something does it never work, it will let me type what i want but then when i try to save it, it doesnt do anything but it says 'error on page' down in the bottom left corner.

add

cesh_fencing
-19th June 2006, 15:04
I have the same problem

Gav
-19th June 2006, 15:13
hmmm.... That IS interesting. I never get that problem, but then I have the default right to edit anything I like. I'll flag this one up to the guys.

Who else is having this problem?

Sumerian Haze
-19th June 2006, 15:14
Same here. I vaguely suspect that it is something akin to a Javascript error, caused either by having an elderly version of Internet Exploiter, or disabled options.

Adam the Flatulent
-19th June 2006, 16:39
and some times it doesn't even give me the option to edit it like my post at the top of them page (I was going to put capital 'I's in) if that helps Gav

add

bufc99
-19th June 2006, 17:48
I believe there is a time limit on editting, ie. you can only edit your post if you do so within 5 minutes of making it. I know there was on the phpBB's I used to run and I suspect there is something similar on VB.

Gav
-19th June 2006, 19:00
I believe they are talking about something else? Am I right guys? Are you trying to go back and edit something later?

I checked with another member I know earlier and he could edit his posts ok.

bufc99
-19th June 2006, 19:13
Sorry Gav, I should have been clearer or perhaps quoted Madadd's post, I was referring to his second post in which he says:

"some times it doesn't even give me the option to edit it like my post at the top of them page"

I thought there might be a time limit on the edit button appearing.

dferg
-19th June 2006, 21:59
Yeah, I have the same problem. Assumed it was an IE/JavaScript thing. Keep meaning to try it on firefox

Of course, if I had any sense, with that thought in mind I'd be using FireFox for this post. D'oh!
-----
and NOW attempting to edit with Firefox - does this work? If so it's an IE problem.

well I guess that partly answers that question - are the others having trouble running IE? Maybe with Windows SP2? Could be that, has cause me some problems elsewhere.

cesh_fencing
-19th June 2006, 23:59
I believe they are talking about something else? Am I right guys? Are you trying to go back and edit something later?

I checked with another member I know earlier and he could edit his posts ok.

Cannot edit immediately after posting, well within the 5 min limit. The problem only started when the colours etc changed.

gbm
-20th June 2006, 00:16
To find the root of the problem, can the people who do not see an edit button immediately after posting please give the web browser they are using including the exact version? (usually Help-->About or similar)

I'm guessing it's IE but there are a large number of different versions...

Gav
-20th June 2006, 09:45
It appears to be related to IE.

Can the people affected post the following (from IE):

Click Help
Click About Internet Explorer

I'm really interested in the version string and Update version.

Let's see if we can spot a pattern.

Gav
-20th June 2006, 09:50
Edit Test.

Adam the Flatulent
-20th June 2006, 09:51
Within the first few minutes i have the option to edit, but it won't actually let me edit, then the option goes away. However i am on IE so that may be the problem.

I will try and edit this post straight away and see what happens

add

Adam the Flatulent
-20th June 2006, 09:53
No good it gave me the option but wouldn't let me do it.

add

Gav
-20th June 2006, 10:00
I can't believe you guys actually use IE...

It's so SLOOOOOOOOOW.

But anyway.

I get the same problem using IE 6.0.2 etc etc .. Sp2.

Gav
-20th June 2006, 10:00
Another Edit test.

Gav
-20th June 2006, 10:04
There are clearly some [IE specific?] script bugs. I've been playing with some of the settings on IE to see if I can get a workaround - no luck so far. I'll bring this to the attention of KK and Wingnut.

You guys have put up with this since the upgrade?

I know this is going to sound a little like "software evangelism" but really the only workaround I can figure out is to use another browser: like Firefox or Opera. I have not received any reports of problems with those. The download is quite small if you have broadband.

However it is good sense for the board to be compatible with IE. I will see what I can do.

Adam the Flatulent
-20th June 2006, 10:48
cheers mate. I don't choose the browser my dad did I just use it.

add

gbm
-20th June 2006, 10:50
cheers mate. I don't choose the browser my dad did I just use it.

add

Tell your Dad:

a) Installing Opera or Firefox will not affect IE
b) IE is dangerously insecure - you can get spyware and adware from drive-by installs of browser helper objects and such the like much. Or worse...

And please post your version of IE!

Sumerian Haze
-20th June 2006, 11:27
I'm really interested in the version string and Update version.

Let's see if we can spot a pattern.

Version: 6.0.2800.1106

Update Versions:; SP1; Q828750; Q330994; Q824145; Q832894; Q837009; Q831167; Q867801; Q823353; Q833989;

To clarify: Edit button appears fine, usual 5 minute time limit applies, but the "Save" button (along with the editor controls) does not respond - they might as well just be background pictures. Problem extant since the forum upgrade.

Of course, there's no substitution for carefully checking over your post before submitting it! ;)

Adam the Flatulent
-20th June 2006, 11:48
I've got version 6.0.3790.1830 however my dad has just done a couple of upgrades so I will check if they have helped.

add

Adam the Flatulent
-20th June 2006, 11:50
nope save button not responding (SH put it better than me)

add

nessyfencer
-20th June 2006, 13:46
This is an IE edit test.

Edit: Couldn't edit the post from IE, come back into firefox and look what I can do :grin:

Sumerian Haze
-20th June 2006, 13:58
Unfortunately not all of us have the permission to install alternative browsers on our work PCs.

Australian
-20th June 2006, 14:09
Unfortunately not all of us have the permission to install alternative browsers on our work PCs.

seconded...

Gav
-20th June 2006, 14:10

I realise that.

I'm working in a workaround. Till the KK or Wingnut check-in you will have to be patient.

You guys should flag this stuff up to me more often.

Sumerian Haze
-20th June 2006, 14:17
I realise that.

I'm working in a workaround. Till the KK or Wingnut check-in you will have to be patient.

Yes, we know, and we appreciate it. Thankyou. :)

We're shy. :o:

Adam the Flatulent
-20th June 2006, 15:16
You see what would you do with out me

add

dferg
-20th June 2006, 20:14
I can see the edit button but not post changes with IE (v 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.o5o301-159 I suspect its the sp2 bit that makes a difference)

From FireFox, no problem.

IE has had some problems with some JavaScript sites since I installed SP2

Someone -GBM I think- said IE is dangerously insecure, implying that FireFox is more secure than IE. Not actually the case, it is far more wide open to Javascript hacks than IE sp2, unfortunately the choices seem to be wide open, or slammed shut!

IE was always the prefered target for custom hacks, but FireFox is drawing flack too now, so it isn't actually any more secure, some experts say it's even less secure. Precisely why I use IE by default and FireFox for certain sites (as well as for checking any websites I build myself)

Never trust your browser for on-line security, get a good firewall, anti virus and spyware package, and use 'em!

gbm
-20th June 2006, 23:13
I can see the edit button but not post changes with IE (v 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.o5o301-159 I suspect its the sp2 bit that makes a difference)

From FireFox, no problem.

IE has had some problems with some JavaScript sites since I installed SP2

Someone -GBM I think- said IE is dangerously insecure, implying that FireFox is more secure than IE. Not actually the case, it is far more wide open to Javascript hacks than IE sp2, unfortunately the choices seem to be wide open, or slammed shut!

IE was always the prefered target for custom hacks, but FireFox is drawing flack too now, so it isn't actually any more secure, some experts say it's even less secure. Precisely why I use IE by default and FireFox for certain sites (as well as for checking any websites I build myself)

Never trust your browser for on-line security, get a good firewall, anti virus and spyware package, and use 'em!

Which is why I use Opera. :whistle:

If your browser is insecure, your firewall will do nothing.
A virus scanner may help, but most spyware and adware will slip past most of them.
You go out to the world with your browser, and you bring it back with you. A firewall is only really good at stopping people on the outside getting in.

There are many more browsers than IE and Firefox.

Dragonfly
-21st June 2006, 18:45
There's no substitute for common sense. If you're getting Spyware or Adware on your machine you're either looking at things you're not meant to, or going to sites that are 'evil'.
At any rate, a great many adverts will have such lovely things in, in which case Adblock, Adblock Plus and Dutchblock extentions for Firefox will stop the ads loading in the first place. Before anyone screams that some companies only get work this way or some such exclaimation, there's the option of seeing what's been blocked on a given page.
So this generally tightens up Firefox for a lot of things. Cookies shouldn't be included as Spyware though. Invariably they're nothing of the sort. Also, getting into someone's machine through their browser is tricky at best. So I can get them to install a program, but then the firewall, if they've got it set up properly, will stop it talking to the outside world. So in the end you're still secure regardless of your OS. I prefer Firefox because of the tabbed browsing, and the numerous extentions and themes that can be applied. Each to their own. Also firefox allows things like this:
http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/circles1/circles1.svg
It should run in your browser, you shouldn't have to download it. It demonstrates transparencies, something all browsers should do if they were going to parse things correctly. All other browsers do it, why not IE?
So we could stretch on forever about the Pro's and Pro's of Firefox over IE, but I'm sure this has all gone way OT.

BigPappaBear
-22nd June 2006, 08:31
I've got the same problem Gav but in addition I can't add smilies or use the quick reply at the bottom of each thread.

Though I do get a javascript error in the bottom corner -
Vb_editor is Null or Not and object line 2621.

IE 6.02

Notably this could be related generally to my shonky works computer!

Adam the Flatulent
-22nd June 2006, 10:13
but in addition I can't add smilies or use the quick reply at the bottom of each thread.

This is something that I'd forgotten about, although I can use smilies, I can't use the quick reply.

add

wingnutLP
-22nd June 2006, 10:16
Hmmm... I will have a try with IE...

Editing: so I get a box with a save button but below this is another edit buton. Can someone confirm if this extra edit is mod specific?

Edit 2: Ok so I replicated the problem that time but have edited with IE several times with no problems at all. The save button sometimes works and sometimes does nothing but bring up error message in bottom left of the page. will try again:

Edit 3: still same problem but if I clice "go advanced" instead of save then I get advanced page and this works fine... Can someone please confirm?

Edit 4: If the advanced works fine I will just disable the "quick edit" which does not really serve much of a purpose over advanced edit anyhow... :) Let me know if the advanced works for everyone.

Adam the Flatulent
-22nd June 2006, 10:28
Will try the advanced thing now.

add

Adam the Flatulent
-22nd June 2006, 10:30
Nope non of the buttons work when I try to edit.

add

wingnutLP
-22nd June 2006, 10:37
Got rid of quick reply and quick edit please can someone test :)

Edit... lets hope that tis works :)

Gav
-22nd June 2006, 10:49
test

this is another test.

sgasdgsdg

Adam the Flatulent
-22nd June 2006, 10:52
Will try again.

add

Edit: IT WORKS CHEERS GUYS!!!

wingnutLP
-22nd June 2006, 11:22
Cool. It seems to work fine for me too now let me know if anyone now has problems. I will leave the quiclk reply disabled too unless anyone thinks it was a great feature...

Alex

Sumerian Haze
-22nd June 2006, 11:35
Ignore this post - just using it as an "edit" test.

EDIT: Yup, that works fine now. Thanks Wingnut.

Lynne
-22nd June 2006, 17:42
Couldn't up to now. Have just changed to WYSIWYG, so will have a go now.

Think it's better now! - Answer - WYSIWYG :)

dferg
-22nd June 2006, 20:53
thanks for the work guys.

that's much better!

nessyfencer
-23rd June 2006, 00:25
Cool. It seems to work fine for me too now let me know if anyone now has problems. I will leave the quiclk reply disabled too unless anyone thinks it was a great feature...

Alex

I thought it was a great feature!

wingnutLP
-23rd June 2006, 08:52
I thought it was a great feature!
Why?

It just saves the time for one page to load... is that a big deal for people?

BigPappaBear
-23rd June 2006, 09:57
I'm still not getting smilies... different scripting error now... do I need to set something somewhere?

Invalid Property Value
Line 820, char 5

Yeah I'm still using IE... !

Actually none of the javascript functions work for me around the editing tool.

(yes I do have javascript turned on for my browser)

nessyfencer
-23rd June 2006, 10:43
Why?

It's just handy. You see a post, want to reply and there is the box.

dferg
-23rd June 2006, 11:06
Why?

Not for me, I prefer being able to edit. Just my 2 groats worth.