PDA

View Full Version : Students whose universities dont have fencing clubs

Asprin
-23rd June 2006, 10:25
Hi,

I go to Napier Uni (In Edinburgh) and we dont have a uni fencing club so I fence at RCP.

Are there any other students who have the same problems at any other unis?

Asprin

Jules
-23rd June 2006, 13:40
Nottingham Trent doesn't. There was talk of a few of them coming over to fence with us at Uni of Nottingham but only one ever made it and I think the cost of using the sports hall as a 'guest' was somewhat prohibitive. I guess that any of them who are interested go to the clubs in the town?

strawberry
-24th June 2006, 12:08
I may be going to Falmouth College of Arts next year, and that doesn't have one. Apparently fencing courses were run last year, but they weren't very popular. :upset:

Skartha
-24th June 2006, 17:07
Hi,

I go to Napier Uni (In Edinburgh) and we dont have a uni fencing club so I fence at RCP.

Are there any other students who have the same problems at any other unis?

Asprin

Worth noting - at QMUC we accept fencers who aren't students or staff, just on the other side of Edinburgh. Just a thought, we aren't exactly overflowing with members :)

Farrago
-28th June 2006, 11:45
At York University we occasionally have fencers from York St. Johns University joining. However it is a lot more expensive for non-students unfortunately. Generally anyone can join though non-students who haven't fenced before are encouraged to go to other clubs in the area as we aren't really set up to teach novices all year round.

I'll be looking for clubs in Edinburgh soon (as a non-student) and am starting to worry about non-student prices:eek:

Red
-28th June 2006, 21:05
We're a little stricter. Our SA decrees that only students, staff and graduates can join sports clubs. Though that hasn't stopped us having a few who shouldn't be able to come along to come and fence....:whistle:

Skartha
-28th June 2006, 22:03
We just take anyone who comes along and is interested :) We're only a small uni with a small club, though - we can't afford to turn anyone away :)

Red
-28th June 2006, 22:15
This year was somewhat difficult to handle - we had 80 signing up....

Skartha
-28th June 2006, 22:37
Well, hire the NIA and you're laughing :) Fair enough, that is a fair whack of people! We haven't been swamped by extra people - the only regulars at the moment are ex-QM students. As a tiny club, it's great to have some extra people (they're also very useful fencers :))