PDA

View Full Version : Siemens to sponsor 2012 GB rowing team

Biggles
-13th July 2006, 17:45
An interesting development....

http://www.brandrepublic.com/home/article/569680/siemens-sponsor-2012-gb-rowing-team/

Siemens to sponsor 2012 GB rowing team
by Joanne Oatts Brand Republic 13 Jul 2006 16:15

LONDON Electronics company Siemens is to sponsor the Great Britain Rowing Team in the run-up to the 2012 Olympics.

The technology company's investment will see them support the team and its body, the Amateur Rowing Association (ARA), for a six-and-a-half-year period.....

Skartha
-14th July 2006, 16:04
It's alright for some, I guess. Obviously, GB's rowing side is one of the best in the world (when was the last time they didn't win at least one Gold?) I wonder who would sponsor GB fencing / who does at the moment? (pretty new to the sport). Not a major electronics company, I assume?

Keith.A.Smith
-18th July 2006, 20:14
Dear All,

We are curently negotiating with 2 FTSE 100 companies. Once I have any news I will publsih it.

Keith

Foilling Around
-18th July 2006, 20:27
Dear All,

We are curently negotiating with 2 FTSE 100 companies. Once I have any news I will publsih it.

Keith

Go Keith!

Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. In fact given how recently the new money was announced I think that, from the pointers I have heard, there is quite a lot going on to utilise the cash and utilise the higher profile to attract more. We may not all agree with the outcomes when they happen (In fact given the history of this forum I am confident that some will disagree) but we are sure to be in for a big change.

I suspect that we all underestimate the difference that 2012 will make to the top end of our sport. Hopefully some of that will filter down.

JulianRose
-18th July 2006, 20:27
Dear All,

Keith

is one an airline and one a hotel chain??? this would be great, although obviously any sponsorship is fantastic news for British Fencing!

Marcos
-20th July 2006, 16:46
the excellent results of the last couple of years can only help the push

good luck

Insipiens
-20th July 2006, 22:18
is one an airline and one a hotel chain??? this would be great, although obviously any sponsorship is fantastic news for British Fencing!
Or British American Tobacco and Imperial tobacco?

Away from my facetiousness good luck Keith. I hope something comes of this. Given the amounts the likes of lloyds tsb pay out to other sports what might be significant for the British team would be nothing for a FTSE 100 company.

ChubbyHubby
-20th July 2006, 22:38
Or British American Tobacco and Imperial tobacco?

Away from my facetiousness good luck Keith. I hope something comes of this. Given the amounts the likes of lloyds tsb pay out to other sports what might be significant for the British team would be nothing for a FTSE 100 company.

So if the BAT or PartyPoker.com people came along and offered 2m a year until 2012, should they be turned away? :cool:

Insipiens
-20th July 2006, 23:07
So if the BAT or PartyPoker.com people came along and offered 2m a year until 2012, should they be turned away? :cool:
I would imagine the Olympics (and possibly the FIE) have rules against tobacco sponsorship. In fact I believe it is illegal in the EU as advertising - but I may be wrong.

Given the recent publicity for Betonsports, the BFA might be reluctant to be associated with an online gambling company. then again it might raise the profile of fencing.:whistle:
(If I had realised Partygaming was in the FTSE 100 I might have included them ;))

Foilling Around
-20th July 2006, 23:42

Yes - IMHO

Rdb811
-21st July 2006, 10:21

No - beggars can't be chosers.

ChubbyHubby
-21st July 2006, 10:24
Yes - IMHO

What about companies like BAE or other arms/weapons manufacturers/dealers?

vil
-21st July 2006, 11:55
This makes for interesting reading. (http://www.sports-sponsorship.co.uk/sponsorship.htm)

It gives some good advice on what companies are looking for out of a sponsorship agreement and how to go about approaching them. It also reinforces that we need to put on more of a show and draw in spectators if we want to attract bigger & better sponsorships.

Hmm, that's given me some ideas for the nationals thread...

Rdb811
-21st July 2006, 13:57
What about companies like BAE or other arms/weapons manufacturers/dealers?

Like Leon Paul ?

ChubbyHubby
-21st July 2006, 14:09
Like Leon Paul ?
Was thinking more along the lines of warships, missiles and fighter planes manufacturers :rolleyes:

rory
-21st July 2006, 14:16
Watch out, Chubby - the bleeding heart liberals will be out to get you for the very suggestion.

Keith.A.Smith
-23rd July 2006, 23:19
Dear All,

The 2 companies we are talking to are not arms dealers nor hotel chains nor travel companies but they are big.

Will keep you posted once I have some real news.

Incidentally we have taken money from BAE in the past as they sponsored groups to go and train and compete in Saudi Arabia and the groups went went.

Keith