PDA

View Full Version : 20 out of 27 sports had met their latest performance targets to trigger funding

ChubbyHubby
-31st July 2006, 15:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/5216812.stm

The 7 that didn't make their targets were:
"Seven sports did not receive their full agreed funding - hockey, boxing, weightlifting, synchronised swimming, shooting, badminton and basketball."

which means fencing must have met its targets ;)

Does anyone know what the targets were/are?

Insipiens
-31st July 2006, 21:28
found this:
http://www.uksport.gov.uk/images/uploaded/fundingtriggers_210706.pdf
related but probably not the answer you are looking for. :rolling:

ChubbyHubby
-1st August 2006, 09:01
found this:
http://www.uksport.gov.uk/images/uploaded/fundingtriggers_210706.pdf
related but probably not the answer you are looking for. :rolling:

I've read that before. Was just wondering if they meant performance targets/results rather than infrastructure changes. Interesting bit of that one is that for the second bit of it "performance" staff all have to sign employment agreements. Although it doesn't say if it has to be full time or not.

Keith.A.Smith
-1st August 2006, 15:21
Dear All,

WE have met our Stage 1 and Stage 2 funding triggers which are both performance relatedand also administrative.

We are meeting again with UK Sport on Wednesday and shortly after will be advertising posts etc. They want both coaches, paid officials and all fencers involved to have contracts.

Having granted us the 2.7 million till March 2009 thay have fairly clear views on how they want it spent.

Best wishes,
Keith

Marcos
-2nd August 2006, 11:48
did not receive full funding....hockey, shooting, badminton ."

pretty high profile sports....

well done to keith on steering the correct course

Insipiens
-2nd August 2006, 12:23
pretty high profile sports....

well done to keith on steering the correct course
True and well done to Keith (and the fencers of course)

But why are they high profile? Partly because of the success in previous Olympics: prior success means more money but also much higher targets. If you won a medal at the last Olympics (which Badminton did I think) you probably need to be close to being world champion or equivalent in other years.

Skartha
-4th August 2006, 12:29
True and well done to Keith (and the fencers of course)

But why are they high profile? Partly because of the success in previous Olympics: prior success means more money but also much higher targets. If you won a medal at the last Olympics (which Badminton did I think) you probably need to be close to being world champion or equivalent in other years.

Indeed. Yes, Britain certainly won the mixed doubles silver at the last Olympics, so I imagine they, along with our traditionally strong sports such as rowing, sailing and some athletics, would have high targets, compared with a sport such as fencing where we aren't - I imagine - generally expected to be amongst the medals.