PDA

View Full Version : Youth Fencing

Stephen Chivers
-7th August 2006, 11:14
Sorry about using this - the LPJS section is the nearest thing to a youth fencing area that there is on the Forum.Picking up on Baldric's posting yesterday evening, could we have a Youth Fencing forum alongside University Fencing in the General Fencing Discussion section? Perhaps the Veterans would like to have a dedicated forum too?

Touché Turtle
-7th August 2006, 14:57
A good suggestion I think. Many people browse each forum separately rather than use the 'new posts' button, and may miss relevant information cause they're not directly interested in the LPJS. Also it would be more accurate 'filing'.

Baldric
-8th August 2006, 21:27
Picking up on Baldric's posting yesterday evening, could we have a Youth Fencing forum alongside University Fencing in the General Fencing Discussion section? Perhaps the Veterans would like to have a dedicated forum too?

Good idea. I know that this is an LP forum, and they entitled to prioritise their series, but youth fencing makes up a good half of ALL fencing, and the vets are growing fast!

I have no idea how hard it would be to reconfigure the forum - Gav? WingnutLP? KingKenny?

nessyfencer
-10th August 2006, 17:37
I have no idea how hard it would be to reconfigure the forum

Very easy. A two minute job.

Touché Turtle
-10th August 2006, 19:40
does the fact that this thread has only had 3 replies and 170 views after 3 days mean that people aren't interested in youth fencing, or that the forum of LPJS isn't being read as relevant by many forum visitors? I would tend to think the latter.

Spider5
-10th August 2006, 22:58
Sounds like a good idea. If it's a two minute job try and see, if it doesn't work, spend another 2 minutes putting it back again.

However, in my experience, anything to do with IT is never 2 minutes.

Baldric
-10th August 2006, 23:31
does the fact that this thread has only had 3 replies and 170 views after 3 days mean that people aren't interested in youth fencing, or that the forum of LPJS isn't being read as relevant by many forum visitors? I would tend to think the latter.

I don't think its because people don't care, its just not a very contentious thread. Probably lots of people look at it and think "oh - that might be a good idea" but it is not likely to cause an argument. Forum-ites love an argument much more than they love consensus.

I will PM KK and Wingnut and see what they say.

Baldric

Gav
-11th August 2006, 10:08
I'm sorry that I haven't come to you guys with my thoughts earlier.

I've replied to Baldric's PM already but I will restate my opinion.

If you constantly split forums up into more and more well defined areas you risk creating a lot of forums that basically dilute the board down. Child protection is not really the issue - I think that is something that we have to keep an eye across the whole forum. IN short I don't think that there are enough youth fencing issues that they need to be seperated off. If it's coaching we have a coaching section, if it's weapon specific we have those forums as well. There would be a real danger in people just ignoring such a section and the board becoming a lot more quiet than it already is.

I'm a bit busy today, sorry for the rambling reply.

Stephen Chivers
-11th August 2006, 11:27
Fair enough, Gav, it was only a suggestion.

Gav
-11th August 2006, 13:03
Fair enough, Gav, it was only a suggestion.

It's not a criticism at all. I think it's worthwhile to discuss. Perhaps if we see more youth only questions, and members, it will become necessary.

Touché Turtle
-11th August 2006, 14:42
Why not simply change the name of the current area? It could be called youth fencing, thereby incorporating LPJS as well as TAs and the youth national age group stuff. If you want to particularly highlight the LPJS (fair enough as this is LP's forum), that could be specifically mentioned as a subtitle on the main page as a few other areas have done.

Gav
-11th August 2006, 17:18
Good idea. Let's se what the other mods think.