PDA

View Full Version : shoes

Winwaloe
-28th August 2003, 17:54
usd Wilson make of tennis shoes for the last few hundred years or so and think they are the best I have ever used. Never tried fencing boots but if they are designed for the job they should be "best". However, if you don't want to pay 100 or so for a good pair suggest you try the Wilson's

Tihon
-24th September 2003, 09:13
I had a few pairs and Adidas Equipment 2000 are really the ones for me

cheers

Tihon

sparkymark567
-24th September 2003, 10:03
I use fencing shoes.
They are far less clumsy than tennis shoes. I'm using the cheaper Addidas ones a.t.m. I thought they were good value, much better than the old ones. Cost about 55 I think, so 100 is a bit over the top.

Has anyone tried the more expensive addidas shoes?, I was a bit put off by the assymetric fit. What do other people think?

Robert
-25th September 2003, 23:08
Originally posted by sparkymark567
I use fencing shoes.
They are far less clumsy than tennis shoes. I'm using the cheaper Addidas ones a.t.m. I thought they were good value, much better than the old ones. Cost about 55 I think, so 100 is a bit over the top.

Has anyone tried the more expensive addidas shoes?, I was a bit put off by the assymetric fit. What do other people think?

They are superb. The gap between the assymetric and the dartagnan is ten times the gap between the dartagnan and ordinary trainers. When you first put it on you can just feel the difference. It is the only piece of 'flash' kit I have tried that I really felt gave an advantage (though I haven't tried the see-through mask).

Robert

Tarmac
-26th September 2003, 09:45
uh i use 15 hi-tec squash shoes... cos... then i have more money for beer!
They're not bad though most people at my club use them!
They've got a reinforced upper if you keep getting hit on the toe - very useful...

Andy W.
-27th September 2003, 17:55
Interesting..........my daughter's coach really wants her to get fencing shoes, at the moment she wears leather Reeboks which seem to be good enough. Indeed, their grip seems superior as at a number of competitions recently competitors in fencing boots have slid about on the sport's hall floor surface while she has kept her composure. It was quite comical to see people literally following their attacks through! They usually lost the point as well.

60 seems to be the price of a pair of size 4 addidas fencing shoes around here as opposed to 15 at the Reebok factory outlet for 'ordinary' trainers. At U12 TA level is it really worth the extra cash? If it is,,,,,,,where are the better prices?

Suggestions gratefully received,

:)

Robert
-27th September 2003, 19:06
I suspect if they are really worth it you aren't going to find them at knock down prices (bought mine from Leon Paul, price on website).

The slippy thing is true. The grip on the shoes is exactly where it needs to be, and so is somewhat unforgiving on any sloppy footwork.

Robert

P.S None of this kit really helps, a point in fifiteen maybe, not enough to worry about. I just have disposable income and a shortage of talent so I buy anything going.

Jambo
-27th September 2003, 20:19
The Addidas equpiment are very good, but unforgiving on a slippy floor. Worth the money if you aren't going to grow out of them every 6 months. I wouldnt bother for kids, just use squash shoes for now.

Andy W.
-28th September 2003, 19:06
Thanks for the advice, we'll leave it for now, especially as there's so much more to spend money on!

:grin:

pinkelephant
-28th September 2003, 19:41
Thickness of the soles is the real problem with ordinary trainers - the wearer just can't feel the floor or move their feet quickly enough. Squash shoes are much better.

As my feet haven't been growing for about 35 years, I have 2 pairs of fencing shoes - the asymmetric ones for most of the time, and the cheaper ones for slippery wooden floors. Seems to work OK. My one quibble is that, like all Adidaas shoes, they ain't wide enough.

Andy W.
-28th September 2003, 20:01
My daughter wears Reebok 'Classic' which to my eye doesn't look alot diferent to her friend's adidas fencing shoe. These addidas shoes are the ones that slip badly on the average sports hall floor, which lets face it is where most fencing comps are held.

As i said her coach wants her to change over but the advantage seems minimal and the cost diffential huge. Plus the reeboks are leather and are less prone to pongy smells! ( a not unimportant point)

:)

rory
-30th September 2003, 08:29
Get her some Hi-Tec squash shoes. They're about 10-15 and much better than "classics" - they've got a proper sports sole with decent stiffness for one thing.

Rdb811
-30th September 2003, 12:50
I'll second that (and pinkelephant's point) - watch out for the thickess in the soles of trainers as they can have a bad impact on footwork.

Andy W.
-30th September 2003, 14:40
Hi Tecs,

Thats lucky I already have pair myself and have been thinking about trying out foil just to see what its like for my daughter. However, at size 11 they'll never fit her (I hope).

her present pair are close to being too small now so we'll look for some Hi Tecs next time. We've been offered some second hand Addidas shoes but am I right in thinking that it would be bad idea to take them? Moulded to another's foot etc...

Rdb811
-30th September 2003, 17:01
The idea of second hand shoes has never appealed - I suspect you're right. Still, someone I know had to borrow shoes to fence with at internationals, coming from east europe.