PDA

View Full Version : changing presidents

Eddie
-28th August 2003, 18:56
Is it actually possible to change a president mid match? The reason I ask is that I saw a bout recently and the president was absolutely atrocious. There were many serious errors of judgement and as a result a lot of erroneously awarded points.
I know it frequently comes down to fencers refereeing fencers for the most part and that not everyone is good at it.
But if you have some one who is utterly awful is it possible to get some one else in or do you have to suffer their infuriatingly erroneous decisions till the end of the match?

doobarz
-28th August 2003, 20:10
From t.122:

...if the referee is ignorant of or misunderstands a definate rule, or applies it in a manner contary to the Rules, an appeal on the matter may be entertained.

In the first instance, politley to the referee. If he maintains his opinion, an appeal may be made to the DT of th ecompetition. After that, I'm not sure, but I think they ahve to supply an observer, who will then judge the competance of the referee.

Rdb811
-29th August 2003, 00:30
I'm pretty sure you can't change the president - I dread this sort of thng happening when I'm running a comp.

rory
-29th August 2003, 08:30
There is no way to change the referee.
If you complain to the DT on appeal, they can send an observer to watch the ref for the remainder of the fight, but all he can do is report back to DT, who will decide whther to use the ref is subsequent fights.

You're stuck with him/her, and that's that.
Oh yeah - and if you make an appeal to the DT, you may be penalised if the appeal is ruled "unjustified" (ihunter or 3 card trick, what's the penalty? I forget.)

Australian
-29th August 2003, 12:16
Originally posted by rory
Oh yeah - and if you make an appeal to the DT, you may be penalised if the appeal is ruled "unjustified" (ihunter or 3 card trick, what's the penalty? I forget.)

group 1 yellow card, red if you already have a group 1 card.

natsgrant
-29th August 2003, 16:18
this is why i don't preside!

any ideas on how to get the drift of presiding (all tips welcome)?

i hate nothing more than making a fuss of getting someone else to do it/making gross errors cause by being a total beginner.

Gav
-29th August 2003, 16:37
Go to the Britishfencing website and locate the referees committee link. On there somewhere you will find a link to a document called 'rules for refs'- read it. It contains plenty of general advice for presiding. If you are totally knew with absolutely no experience of presiding then preside at your club and purchase a set of rules (10 when ordered directly from BF) and read them. Dull I know but no substitute for hearing stuff third hand.

natsgrant
-29th August 2003, 16:43
thanks Gav

i have a copy of the rules (dont' laugh) after going to the inverclyde presiding thing in june. (altho' completely lost i now realise how lost i actually am.)

being a total beginner, i just don't know what to look for when presiding. maybe i'm just looking for the magic key/lazy-man's way, when i kinda realise that practice will go a long, long way. eek. :confused:

have a good weekend
:transport:

srb
-29th August 2003, 17:23
Gav,

Does epee have rules?

srb

Rdb811
-29th August 2003, 23:46
Epee has lots of rules - to quote a well known president - "Epeeists know all the rules as it is their only defence against a hit).

Not a joke I've heard before. :sleep:

Rdb811
-29th August 2003, 23:52
Originally posted by natsgrant
this is why i don't preside!

any ideas on how to get the drift of presiding (all tips welcome)?

i hate nothing more than making a fuss of getting someone else to do it/making gross errors cause by being a total beginner.

I can't really comment about foil - for sabre stand well back and look at the arms and feet.

In epee make sure you can see the box and look and for leaving the piste and hits on he floor.

In all weapons, remember to look for either fencers bib riding up.

Be very clear and consistent in giving the score and in starting the fight - learn the hand signals.

It is better to be definate about your calling than correct.