PDA

View Full Version : FireFox 2.0 Beta

Spider5
-1st September 2006, 13:05
Any web hounds tried FF 2.0 Beta 2 yet?

I haven't tried it having had my fill of Browser Beta's with IE7 ...ranting

I might give release candidate 1 a shot which is slated for 19th Sept.

bufc99
-1st September 2006, 15:10
I saw an announcement on The Register this morning about it. I haven't tried it yet but am tempted to drop it onto a VM install I've got going on one of my PC's at work. At least it won't screw a live system if it goes horribly wrong.

Spider5
-1st September 2006, 15:52
Good point. I was having a play with VMWare last week (Win XP Pro 32 bit VM in Red Hat Enterprise 4 64 bit). Quite neat but there's a definite lag in response and you can't obviously configure for two screens.

ChubbyHubby
-1st September 2006, 17:33
Good point. I was having a play with VMWare last week (Win XP Pro 32 bit VM in Red Hat Enterprise 4 64 bit). Quite neat but there's a definite lag in response and you can't obviously configure for two screens.

You can always try http://www.maxivista.com/ (running in the VM, but you'll need another Windows PC to make it work)

bufc99
-1st September 2006, 19:30
Our test manager has a similar thing to maxivista at work. Run's his laptop and two desktops all as side-by-side screens. He's now wants to go upwards but doesn't have the boxes or screens spare and can't really warrant spending more money just so he can go upwards on it.

Spider5
-2nd September 2006, 11:39
You can always try http://www.maxivista.com/ (running in the VM, but you'll need another Windows PC to make it work)

Nice idea, but I don't have a spare PC. I'd rather get the two digital monitors I've got working with VMWare or something similar. Also seems like an expensive way to get two monitors.

ChubbyHubby
-2nd September 2006, 21:26
Nice idea, but I don't have a spare PC. I'd rather get the two digital monitors I've got working with VMWare or something similar. Also seems like an expensive way to get two monitors.

What about this:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm

Gav
-4th September 2006, 18:02
Why on earth would you want to run 2 computers as one desktop? It's much better to just run extend your desktop onto a spare monitor and do something more interesting with the spare pc. Looking at that site all it does is turn that spare lappy into an expensive over powered monitor.

I must be missing a trick.

I have a laptop which runs more than one LCD; not to mention various remote desktops and virtual pc stuff....

EDIT:

Firefox 2 Beta is unlikely to hose your pc - even a live machine. However the main problems with it are:

it's a beta (so although it's unlikely to hose your pc...)
the deadlines for the final release have slipped
some of the promised features are not concrete (well it IS a beta).

ChubbyHubby
-4th September 2006, 18:11
Why on earth would you want to run 2 computers as one desktop? It's much better to just run extend your desktop onto a spare monitor and do something more interesting with the spare pc. Looking at that site all it does is turn that spare lappy into an expensive over powered monitor.

I must be missing a trick.

Because that spare pc is no good for anything else?

Or that "spare" pc is actually also doing something useful and you are using that software as a KVM swtich (but without the switch). In the remote control mode, you just move your cursor off the side of the screen on one machine onto the second one.

ie. you are controlling both machines with one keyboard/mouse without having to "switch", and have both desktops fully visible and working at all times.

Gav
-4th September 2006, 18:36
Sorry CH I still don't get it.

Spare laptops don't last long where I am - we donate them to charity where they are much more useful. If I need another monitor I use the secondary output on my graphics card. And if I need to access another pc I do so via VNC or remote desktop (or something similar). Networking technologies are such that the lag is not even normally noticeable.

And KVMs are inexpensive.

ChubbyHubby
-5th September 2006, 08:35
Sorry CH I still don't get it.

Spare laptops don't last long where I am - we donate them to charity where they are much more useful. If I need another monitor I use the secondary output on my graphics card. And if I need to access another pc I do so via VNC or remote desktop (or something similar). Networking technologies are such that the lag is not even normally noticeable.

And KVMs are inexpensive.

and if you need 3 monitors?

VNC/TS/Remotedesktop are great - saves a lot of walking to the server room but the window still takes up desktop space. If the second machine is on your desk anyway, that software is far better than KVMs.

KVMs are inexpensive but you still have to press the button! :whistle:

gbm
-5th September 2006, 09:01

My computer has three graphics ports - since my first graphics card only had one, to have my two monitors I had to buy a cheap PCI graphics card - which had two outputs...
If I'd have had a normal Ati 9800, not the All-In-Wonder (got it cheap), then I'd now have four VGA out...

Andy
-5th September 2006, 09:04

I think that we need to define the word 'need', and perhaps look at another somewhat related word 'want'.

Need:
1. a requirement, necessary duty, or obligation: There is no need for you to go there.
2. a lack of something wanted or deemed necessary: to fulfill the needs of the assignment.
3. urgent want, as of something requisite: He has no need of your charity.
4. necessity arising from the circumstances of a situation or case: There is no need to worry.
5. a situation or time of difficulty; exigency: to help a friend in need; to be a friend in need.
6. a condition marked by the lack of something requisite: the need for leadership.
7. destitution; extreme poverty: The family's need is acute.
–verb (used with object)
8. to have need of; require: to need money.
–verb (used without object)
9. to be under an obligation (used as an auxiliary, typically in an interrogative or in a negative statement, and fol. by infinitive, in certain cases without to; in the 3d pers. sing. the form is need, not needs): He need not go.
10. to be in need or want.

Want:
1. to feel a need or a desire for; wish for: to want one's dinner; always wanting something new.
2. to wish, need, crave, demand, or desire (often fol. by an infinitive): I want to see you. She wants to be notified.
3. to be without or be deficient in: to want judgment; to want knowledge.
4. to fall short by (a specified amount): The sum collected wants but a few dollars of the desired amount.
5. to require or need: The house wants painting.
–verb (used without object)
6. to feel inclined; wish; like (often fol. by to): We can stay home if you want.
7. to be deficient by the absence of some part or thing, or to feel or have a need (sometimes fol. by for): He did not want for abilities.
8. to have need (usually fol. by for): If you want for anything, let him know.
9. to be in a state of destitution, need, or poverty: She would never allow her parents to want.
10. to be lacking or absent, as a part or thing necessary to completeness: All that wants is his signature.

Now also look at my nice shiny 6 monitor array! :eek:

I can see that some applications are just too big for one monitor, also it's useful to have a preview monitor sometimes, I've gone two ways in the past of having two cards in one machine, and also a dual head video card, I've never had more than one PC/Lpt arranged in the way that you seem to be advocating, Of course I've had my (Windows) Desktop, and my (Linux) Terminal, and a Lpt on a LAN with the keyboards and monitors in front of me, but that's just not the same...

Got to go and find my dual head video card, now where did I last see it, in a draw, in a bit's box, or in a PC? - Hmmm... rummage rummage... Hmmm, Ah, no, oh, what is that???? - No really what is that... Looks like an FSIC I wonder what I 'NEEDED' that for... No, that's not it, ....... .... How many network cards does one person need?....

A.

ChubbyHubby
-5th September 2006, 09:23
I can see that some applications are just too big for one monitor, also it's useful to have a preview monitor sometimes, I've gone two ways in the past of having two cards in one machine, and also a dual head video card, I've never had more than one PC/Lpt arranged in the way that you seem to be advocating, Of course I've had my (Windows) Desktop, and my (Linux) Terminal, and a Lpt on a LAN with the keyboards and monitors in front of me, but that's just not the same...

A.
Well, the main laptop is a TabletPC so I have OneNote running one it all the time (monitor 1), then I work mainly on a 7 year old 21" CRT. Then on the 3rd screen I have all the MSN windows from people working off-site and for RemoteDesktop/VNC to remote servers. That 3rd screen is sometimes looking at the second laptop that it is attached to for data processing.

So I "need" the 3 screens. Now what I "want" is one of those 30" widescreen thingys from Dell to replace my CRT.... :grin:

Spider5
-5th September 2006, 09:28
Well if desktop real estate is that valuable there's always multiple desktop windows on the same 1-2 monitors. Standard in Linux and available on Windows with certain graphics card utilities (e.g. Nvidia).

The Nvidia software can effectively give me 8 virtual monitors. Unfortunately in Windows the Nvidia software conflicts with some applications I have so I turned it off.

Anyway, back to the topic. Has anyone actually given FF 2.0 Beta 2 a shot? I think I might take the plunge. Can't be any worse than IE 7 which just won't run properly on this forum.

ChubbyHubby
-5th September 2006, 09:32
Can't be any worse than IE 7 which just won't run properly on this forum. Don't you mean this forum doesn't run properly on IE? :rolleyes:

gbm
-5th September 2006, 09:42
Don't you mean this forum doesn't run properly on IE? :rolleyes:

Given that IE7 is only a beta?

Unfortunately this forum software is not really W3C compliant and so cannot take the moral high ground.

Spider5
-5th September 2006, 09:54
Don't you mean this forum doesn't run properly on IE? :rolleyes:

Technically yes :)

More specifically, in Reply to Thread mode, IE7 stops showing the edits after a few key strokes until you scroll the page off the screen and back again. Weird.

Spider5
-8th September 2006, 11:05
This message was brought to you using Firefox 2.0 Beta 2.

It installed and imported all settings from IE 6 in about 1 minute. Result.

One small step for a spider, one giant step for er, something larger.