PDA

View Full Version : Starting a student competition

Nick_C
-27th September 2006, 18:59
Hi
I am considering starting up an "Open" type event for student novices. Can anyone clarify the insurance position for me, please? I gather that at the Keele Novices comp they don't require BFA membership IF you are a member of a Students' Union Athletic Union. I have been unable to contact them regarding this.

Does anyone have any written authorititive information regarding this? I would be very grateful. :)

In addition, does the organiser of such a competition have to take out any insurance for the competition? Eg in the event of a fire, injury, death etc?

gbm
-27th September 2006, 23:17
This page details what you get through the BFA. Basically if a Registered Club holds a competition, notifies the BFA, follows the safety guidelines (which most don't) and has only BFA registered members, then you get covered for Civil Liability. Also all armourers, referees, judges, organisers etc. are also covered if members of British Fencing.
http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=172

An interesting point here though is that BAF members and members of foreign competitions have always been historically accepted, yet the

The way I see it you have three options:
Either a) run it using BFA insurance for the competition, and check that it is OK to have fencers with insurance from other sources. Then make all fencers bring some proof that their AU insurance covers them to fence at that competition (e.g. a letter stating so).
(this is the way the Welsh Student Championships were run)
Or b) run it using insurance from another source, possibly from the AU of a University if they agree (since most AUs have their own general purpose sporting insurance anyway, which is why most of the members of Uni clubs have no BFA membership). If your AU agrees, this might be easier.
or c) just run it without insurance. While I can't recommend this, this is effectively how most competitions in the UK run :eek:

Another fencer
-28th September 2006, 08:13
Individual fencers may be covered by their university insurance - we were not, until we made special arrangements with the university after the disgusting rise in social membership fee. As GBM says you should check this point (university AU letters).

However, this would not cover the liability of the organisers for accidents that were not the fault of individual fencers, so further insurance will be required for this. You may find that the AU is willing to cover or buy specific cover.

We have gone for team matches for our intermediates/advanced beginners - with university insurance. Less chance of random accidents, but still competitive.

I really dont recommend the no-insurance route - given the corporate structure of most fencing clubs, I think that in the event of a major incident, the club officers would be personally liable.

Dragonfly
-28th September 2006, 15:29
Sussex University ran a small competition earlier in the year. The university pays an insurance to cover anything that happens in the club. This insurance is only valid if the coach is there. So we got the coach there, that insured everyone fencing in the hall, and then we said you just had to show an NUS card or similar. We certainly didn't break even on the event, but it was good for the beginners. In the past we have also invited the local universities and clubs for a friendly match with limited success. Once again, no BFA membership is required because the coach was there.

gbm
-28th September 2006, 15:39
Sussex University ran a small competition earlier in the year. The university pays an insurance to cover anything that happens in the club. This insurance is only valid if the coach is there. So we got the coach there, that insured everyone fencing in the hall, and then we said you just had to show an NUS card or similar. We certainly didn't break even on the event, but it was good for the beginners. In the past we have also invited the local universities and clubs for a friendly match with limited success. Once again, no BFA membership is required because the coach was there.

At our uni, you still need to be a member of the AU to get any insurance at all. Were you running the competition for members of your own club or any student?

Dragonfly
-28th September 2006, 18:58
It was any student who could safely control a sword and was a member of the Sports Fed. We also invited local clubs to partake too, and only asked for an NUS card from them.

Shaolin Monkey
-18th October 2006, 11:14
Last year Newcastle had to cancel its competition because all the information that we could find led us to believe that BFA membership was required for university coompetitons. Our coach would not allow the competition to be fenced under his insurance and the university sport centre's insurance only covers them against liability for example against a fencer falling into a gaping hole in the floor, not through personal misadventure or likewise on the part of another person.

i would be most interested to find an official view on the matter of novice fencing tournaments and the issue of licensing.

nickos
-18th October 2006, 12:44
On the old BFA web site there was a notice stating that the BFA HQ had to be notified in advance of a competition taking place for the BFA insurance scheme to apply to the event.

I guess that if this is being run by your university club then the club would have to have BFA membership.

UglyBug
-18th October 2006, 15:26
Hi
I am considering starting up an "Open" type event for student novices. Can anyone clarify the insurance position for me, please? I gather that at the Keele Novices comp they don't require BFA membership IF you are a member of a Students' Union Athletic Union. I have been unable to contact them regarding this.

Does anyone have any written authorititive information regarding this? I would be very grateful. :)

In addition, does the organiser of such a competition have to take out any insurance for the competition? Eg in the event of a fire, injury, death etc?

have you talked to BUSA? There used to be one of these a few years ago. I took some fencers in 1999/2000 certainly.