PDA

View Full Version : Eurosport/Rai fencing coverage

hokers
-2nd October 2006, 18:25
As posted by Prometheus in the WC thread, here are the listings of Eurosport's coverage of the World Champs:

Fencing Mon Oct 02 5:30 PM
Fencing Tue Oct 03 6:00 PM
Fencing Fri Oct 06 10:30 AM

And as posted by Gabriel, here are the Rai TV listings:

Oct 1st | 18:45 - 20:00 | Rai Due |
http://www.rai.it/guidatv/0,,10-01-2006^Paltv,00.html
Oct 2nd | 20:00 - 20:30 | Rai Tre |
http://www.rai.it/guidatv/0,,10-02-2006^Paltv,00.html
Oct 3rd | 20:00 - 20:30 | Rai Tre |
http://www.rai.it/guidatv/0,,10-03-2006^Paltv,00.html

Anyway the reason for posting the thread is really to ***** about James Chambers' unspeakably bad commentary on Eurosport tonight!
I know we say this every time, but seriously, he's really awful.
* He gets the rules wrong (250g pressure for a foil hit?!?)
* He gets the decisions wrong, even when the president is signalling the hit, and then gets confused because he doesn't understand why that was the decision. (Failed to understand that Zagunis got a yellow card for turning and taking off her mask when no hits registered!)
* He rambles incessantly about what damage a real sword would do and why this relates to right-of-way

The effect of this is that to the casual observer, fencing is completely incomprehensible, even the commentators don't understand it. And fencing appears extremely dangerous, people die from broken blades etc. Seriously, all the visor masks in the world make no difference at all in promoting fencing as a spectator sport compared with JC and his bad commentary.

All the work done to promote the sport will be damaged/compromised if anyone you ever pitch to has actually seen Eurosport coverage of fencing!

Discuss.

PS Wheelchair epee is MUCH better to watch than normal epee :)

hokers
-2nd October 2006, 18:54
Digiguide has found some more fencing!

7/10/06 0800 Fencing
9/10/06 0945 Fencing

No more info that that though.

Sophie
-2nd October 2006, 19:38
Anyway the reason for posting the thread is really to ***** about James Chambers' unspeakably bad commentary on Eurosport tonight!
* He gets the decisions wrong, even when the president is signalling the hit, and then gets confused because he doesn't understand why that was the decision. (Failed to understand that Zagunis got a yellow card for turning and taking off her mask when no hits registered!)
* He rambles incessantly about what damage a real sword would do and why this relates to right-of-way

The effect of this is that to the casual observer, fencing is completely incomprehensible, even the commentators don't understand it. And fencing appears extremely dangerous, people die from broken blades etc. Seriously, all the visor masks in the world make no difference at all in promoting fencing as a spectator sport compared with JC and his bad commentary.

All the work done to promote the sport will be damaged/compromised if anyone you ever pitch to has actually seen Eurosport coverage of fencing!

Discuss.

PS Wheelchair epee is MUCH better to watch than normal epee :)

My vote for an alternative to James Chambers would be DAVID SACH, as anyone who was present at the Bowden Cup recently will vouch for (anyone prepared to second this?). And his understanding of the rules must be better than what we've seen of JC's...

Louis CB
-2nd October 2006, 19:40
Who was the second commentator in the Men's Epee final?

Speaking of which - I tuned in to the ME final and didn't realize it was the final at first, thought they were showcasing an L16 fight for some reason - Videira who? And who's this chubby Wang bloke?

/immaturity

Seriously, it was a good final, and my heart goes out to Videira who must not have been able to believe it when he found himself in the final. Wang fought very well and his last fleche was sweet.

I just can't believe almost every Name went out in the 64. Conspiracy theories, anyone?

Baldric
-2nd October 2006, 19:50
I just can't believe almost every Name went out in the 64. Conspiracy theories, anyone?

I reckon they listed to Mr Chambers explaining fencing, got completely confused, and disappeared up their own back sides.

I have to agree with Hokers, it was beyond bad. I can only assume that he could see neither the fencers nor the referee in the sabre, just the box.

I'm no expert on sabre, but even I can tell the hand signal for parry-reposte!

Touché Turtle
-3rd October 2006, 08:38

Discuss.

I found it's much better to watch if you turn the volume down. :)

I was annoyed within the first couple of minutes of the womens foil yesterday with the comment about right of way "shall I bore you with that just now?" or some such flippancy. The obvious lack of knowledge and understanding was amazing. I couldn't believe the 250g thing!

Most non fencing viewers would assume that the commentator knows what he's talking about. This means that when he's making comments about who's got the hit, and he sounds confused "well I don't know why that was given!" kind of thing, it just makes the sport look even more confusing and casts doubt on the consistency of the scoring system and referees. :mad:

Oh, and apparently the sabre masks have a glass visor! :eek:

Gav
-3rd October 2006, 09:29
guys,

To keep the coverage in one place I am mocing this to the Worlds section.

Has anyone managed to watch the RAI feed? How were they? And did you record them?

hokers
-3rd October 2006, 10:01
And why don't we encourage wheelchair epee as the discipline of choice, none of this bouncy passivity rubbish?

hokers
-3rd October 2006, 17:35
Fencing still hasnt started on Eurosport, has a really rubbish WTA match overrunning instead :(

27ab1c
-3rd October 2006, 18:11
Just watched an hour of girls knocking a ball to one another.
Very disappointing.
They may not cover much, if any, fencing, but at least other channels tell you what they're covering and what's cancelled or postponed because of live events overrunning.

gbm
-3rd October 2006, 18:14
Saves me some of the disappointed I got earlier when I realised our change in package with NTL means they don't give us Eurosport any more... (cheapskates!)

nickw
-3rd October 2006, 19:02
They did actually eventually show the fencing, at about ten past seven, both the men's foil and women's epee. The commentary as actually a bit better than yesterday, with James Chambers getting some calls right before seeing confirmation from the score. At the end they said they would be showing the team matches later in the week......

27ab1c
-3rd October 2006, 19:59
Grrrrrr...

Rdb811
-3rd October 2006, 21:24
The fencing actually got a "Best Sport" commendation in one of teh free papers that infest London at the moment - complete with pic of sabreur (despite it not being that weapon that was going to be on).

davidc
-3rd October 2006, 23:54
Managed to tape all the Eurosport coverage so far. Pity about tonight, where it was delayed over an hour for the WTA Tennis.
And then we get commentary by James Chambers (and some other guy).
In one bout, he was so busy blethering on about what a great bout it was that he failed to notice the final action get annulled, fencers put on guard again, and then the action restarting and ending again - and then seemed confused when the replay showed a different action to the one he was expecting.
There's got to be someone who can explain and comment on fencing better ... somewhere ? :tumble:

hokers
-6th October 2006, 10:06
James Chambers just said:

"British fencing strength at the moment lies only in Men's Foil"

Anyone want to disagree with that opinion?

Gav
-6th October 2006, 10:09
There's got to be someone who can explain and comment on fencing better ... somewhere ?

What the hell - if someone knows who to ask I'll offer!

hokers
-6th October 2006, 11:06
I would suggest someone who has some refereeing qualifications and can explain why the hits are scored that way, really clear communication skills and a big personality, lots of confidence. I've never tried commentating myself, but I get the idea that it might be pretty difficult to have things to say that are relevant all the time.

Gav
-6th October 2006, 12:03
I suspect that you might need more than one commentator for this sort of work. That way the two commentators can feed off each other. A "voice of the people" and a ref would probably be the what you are looking for. In addition it's helpful for creating discussion. However I am not convinced that it would need to be a qualified ref - just a good understanding of the rules as they are at present. I wonder how many other sports, especially technical sports (anyone watch much martials arts?) require someone with a refereeing qualification. A bit of common sense and a sense of humour would probably take someone a long way in fencing commentary box.

D'Artignan
-6th October 2006, 12:42
A bit of common sense and a sense of humour would probably take someone a long way in fencing commentary box.Up until this bit, I thought you were gonna volunteer me for the job.:tongue:

hokers
-6th October 2006, 15:02
More live fencing tomorrow at 8AM on Eurosport! Set the video/PVR/DVDR/Sky+ now!

Tell you what, if someone records a full length version, we could get people to do their own commentary!

Gav
-6th October 2006, 16:03
Tell you what, if someone records a full length version, we could get people to do their own commentary!

Heh....

We could have a YouTube competition.

Best bit of commentary - or something...

hokers
-24th November 2006, 13:18
More fencing on Eurosport - stick it in your diaries

SPORT: Fencing
On: British Eurosport (521)
Date: Wednesday 6th December 2006 (starting in 11 days)
Time: 07:30 to 08:00 (30 minutes long)

Action from the International Masters from Levallois, France.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=36572

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.