PDA

View Full Version : Student 5 Nations 2007

canco
-8th November 2006, 15:52
Hey. I say we start this topic now and get people interested in it early so we can build on last year!

If people from different countries would like to volunteer or even suggest others to get things going.

We'll need a country to host it, then different captains to pick the teams. Preferably one overall captain so that they know who can make it.

Anyone interested? Anyone any idea WHEN we should hold it?

I'm up for getting the Rep. Ireland side of it rolling.

gbm
-8th November 2006, 21:51
Anybody Welsh contact me. I'm not in charge, or even vaguely related to anybody in charge, but that's only because I doubt there is anybody in charge :) If you contact me, I know people who know people... :whistle: at least I should (eventually) know who is in charge. OR contact Cardiff Uni. If anybody in Wales doesn't like me saying this, and feels they should help organise a team or whatever, contact Cardiff Uni :nanananan and we'll sort it out.

Aren't the Scots holding it this year?

MakeTradeFair
-8th November 2006, 22:20
Well GBM,

It was indeed rumoured that the scots would be hosting thei year... HOWEVER - at the recent scottish student fencing AGM, it was agreed that this year was in fact probably the worst year for Scotland to host as the venue we had in mind is currently getting redeveloped/expanded.

We were hoping Wales might do the honour of hosting.... how'd you fancy the challenge GBM ;) It would hopefully mean Wales mightfind it easier to bring more than 1 team! :thumbs_up

MTF

gbm
-9th November 2006, 00:17
Ooh, that's harsh - I understand we sent 1 full team, 2 thirds of another team, were given a Epee team entirely made of Irishmen, and lent Northern Ireland a sabreur (who was actually a foilist)!

I'll get back to you... :whistle:

canco
-9th November 2006, 07:55
Woohoo! The wheels are in motion!

Marcos
-9th November 2006, 11:24
maybe any team that is strugglin could join-up with Jersey & Guernsey?

Flip
-9th November 2006, 12:27
all right? I don't know if NIR'll be able to get a team together and I'm at uni in Durham so am not really in a position to organize anything over the water but i'll ring round and see whose up for what.
Anyone on facebook? might be an idea to get a group started or something as i don't know how many people use this....

twohappyhippos
-9th November 2006, 12:42
What a question...everybody's on facbook!!! Good to see that the wheels are in motion for what should be another fab Student 5 Nations. Anybody at uni in Scotland who knows of any brilliant or promising girly epeeists/saber people/or foilists get in contact with me.

Esther Kuhlmey
Ladies Captain

Scottyboy
-15th November 2006, 13:00
By promising i hope that you mean attractive. Esther seriously you just let me pick both teams and we'll all be happy. there'll be a criteria and everything - it just won't have very much to do with fencing and will be based mainly on attractiveness, drinking ability, banter quality and last and certainly least the ability to maybe hold a weapon.

Scott Brodie

Scottish Men's captain

alien abductee
-15th November 2006, 13:09
By promising i hope that you mean attractive. Esther seriously you just let me pick both teams and we'll all be happy. there'll be a criteria and everything - it just won't have very much to do with fencing and will be based mainly on attractiveness, drinking ability, banter quality and last and certainly least the ability to maybe hold a weapon.

Scott Brodie

Scottish Men's captain

Oh dear! I take it you won't be fencing then...

Scottyboy
-15th November 2006, 13:14
ouch. you must be joking though. it's my criteria, so you'd hope i'd taylor it to my skills, which i have so i'll hopefully be fencing.

twohappyhippos
-15th November 2006, 13:34
Ok Scott, you do the girls and I'll do the boys....plan?

D'Artignan
-15th November 2006, 17:05
Wasn't that the selection criteria last year as well, though?

Scottyboy
-16th November 2006, 09:42
Esther, I like the way you're thinking there. it sounds like a good plan.

That may well have been the supposed criteria for last year (and it worked reasonably well - certainly the bit about people bearly being able to hold a weapon, and the banter was good) but perhaps this year there should be more rigorous testing.

D'Artignan
-16th November 2006, 23:31
I'm quite happy for miss 2HH to rigourously test my credentials, though I suspect she may just drop me from the team based on looks alone.

O*N
-23rd November 2006, 10:29
Who is hosting it, where and when?

They are the only questions that really need to be answered everything else looks after itself. Until someone takes it to task and books a venue, everything else is just hot air.

Last year showed that if you build it, they will come. Minimum risk involved this year. Who has the cahones?

Russell1985
-23rd November 2006, 10:42
There're mutterings in the Welsh camp that we'll do it. We've got a venue, it's just a case of organising an organising team :) GBM is the monkey to ask!

madfencer
-23rd November 2006, 10:47
maybe any team that is strugglin could join-up with Jersey & Guernsey?

Good idea! :thumbs_up I hope you were being serious! Do you have to be at uni or just a student though? Because there arent any uni's on Guernsey and Jersey (although theres loads of people like oddball who live in Guernsey and at their uni) :)

O*N
-23rd November 2006, 11:05
Last year, there was some discretion left to individual teams as to how they were to select their teams. You had to be a student obviously. One nation in particular, let's call them Dnalgne, wanted to see only fencers who qualified to fence for a particular nation and who were going to university in that particular nation be eligible for selection, which suited no other nation.

In general, the qualification used was qualifying for that nation and being a 3rd level student anywhere. Some further discretion was used and some teams were lent fencers to complete teams etc.

It was a fun and sociable event but also provided some decent fencing at a reasonable level and I felt it was a really worthwhile exercise.

Not that I have any doubt in Welsh organisational skills after last year but if somewhere isn't booked by the new year, I'd start looking for a new host - no offence to Wales but the sooner it is booked the better for the host and everyone else involved.

pigeonmeister
-23rd November 2006, 11:48
The 2006 Student games was an awesome experience (mainly due to the 'who can do the best cartwheel' competition in the pub and, even more amusingly, Ricky Brenda's dancing) So funny I almost forgot that a German Irish fencer had broken my nose, well I say broken...I never got it checked, but it did hurt a lot!

Seems a shame not to have it in Dublin again, such a great city and, because I have family there, it turned into a great family affair (sister, mum, dad, girlfriend, cousins)

Don't know if I'll be selected again, but I hope so..after all we did win all our matches. Lets not forget just how much butt England kicked last time!

It's important that this becomes a regular fixture, If I had any real contact with England Fencing I would have a go at getting this going myself. It seems, however, that our Welsh cousins are on to it, so lets make it happen!

D'Artignan
-23rd November 2006, 11:59
You know fine well that you guys only won 'cos Matfink felt sorry for you all getting beat up by Scotty B.....:whistle:

And also cos you (and indeed, most of the other teams) were too scared to drink with the Scots contingent beforehand.:duff1:

pigeonmeister
-23rd November 2006, 12:07
You know fine well that you guys only won 'cos Matfink felt sorry for you all getting beat up by Scotty B.....:whistle:

And also cos you (and indeed, most of the other teams) were too scared to drink with the Scots contingent beforehand.:duff1:

Yea Yea...We beat all other teams more comprehensively than the Jocks, despite two of our foilist not having competed on the circuit for ages (one had actually given up foil and is now a sabreur!)

The final match was tense, but we Sassenachs were definitely worthy overall winners!

You did look awesome in your kilts however!

D'Artignan
-23rd November 2006, 12:26
You guys totally missed yoursleves, not drinking with us on the Friday. We found this pub which was about 6 feet wide by about 50 metres long, and was cheaper than most places back home! Even better, it was within crawling distance of our hostel....

I have to (grudgingly) admit that you guys probably would have beaten us even without some of the dodgy calls, as we'd left Scotty too much work to do. This year will be different, though. Maybe. Hopefully. Sort of.:nanananan

gbm
-23rd November 2006, 12:33
While I believe some people in Wales are considering hosting it, we've not actually agreed to do it just yet...
part of the problem is that Wales has no student fencing body, unlike say Scotland. It is possible that one club will just do it unilaterally though.

There is a Welsh Universities championship where we've just had a bit of a major political hiccup - with the one University that nobody wanted to host it declaring that 'as had been agreed' at the previous one (by them), they are now hosting it! Only 4 Unis with major established fencing clubs, and you still get politics... grrr.

That said, watch this space... I will try and escalate things!

PS When do people actually want the damn thing? Last year's timing was not apparently great due to exams and whatnot.

D'Artignan
-23rd November 2006, 12:34
During a beer festival would be good for me.....:whistle:

pigeonmeister
-23rd November 2006, 12:34
You guys totally missed yoursleves, not drinking with us on the Friday. We found this pub which was about 6 feet wide by about 50 metres long, and was cheaper than most places back home! Even better, it was within crawling distance of our hostel....

I have to (grudgingly) admit that you guys probably would have beaten us even without some of the dodgy calls, as we'd left Scotty too much work to do. This year will be different, though. Maybe. Hopefully. Sort of.:nanananan

This year will be different?....IT WAS THIS YEAR!!!

Sadly, Friday was a 'family' night for me. I did wonder why the Scots were last to turn up at the venue..and the most 'tired'!

Scotty is a great fencer, he knocked me out in the L8 of BUSA 2004. I think honours were about even when we fenced in Dublin though. I take it your team will be unchanged for next year though? You do realise England can only get stronger..ha...ha!

D'Artignan
-23rd November 2006, 12:37
This Academic year, Pidge. On previous performance, I think I'll struggle to get back into the team, given that I was absolutely shocking last time out. Just as well I've got photos of the captain (Scotty) drunk....:whistle:

madfencer
-23rd November 2006, 12:50
Wow the 5 Nations sounds like great fun! Lucky devils! :tongue:

D'Artignan
-23rd November 2006, 12:55
Our livers might not agree with you, but it was a great weekend, even if I was useless (and legless) for most of it.

gbm
-23rd November 2006, 12:55
PS I have floor space (Irish first for helping the Welsh out last time) if we DO hold it in Cardiff.

gbm
-23rd November 2006, 13:05
PPS Welsh selection criteria (any of the below):

Born in Wales
Parent or grandparent born in Wales
Resident in Wales for 6 months
Have fenced for Wales at Senior International level
Able to speak Welsh
Have a fondness for leeks.
Enjoy a good rabbit stew.
Be able to correctly identify Ovis aries.
Be able to say "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch".
Understand "Bore da. Beth ydy'ch enw chi?"
Know that Prince Charles is (supposedly) the Prince of Wales.
Know the country that Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta-Jones or Tom Jones are from.
Know more than 2 of the words to "Delilah".
Be aware of the difference between England and Wales.
Be in Wales at the time of the Student 5 Nations.

:whistle: :grin: :nanananan

D'Artignan
-23rd November 2006, 13:21
Whereas the Scottish eligibilty rules are:-

Have a fondness for alcohol.

The captains may have some weird rules about fencing ability, as mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm sure they're willing to ignore these.....:whistle:

Old Mongoose
-23rd November 2006, 17:46
The 2006 Student games was an awesome experience (mainly due to the 'who can do the best cartwheel' competition in the pub and, even more amusingly, Ricky Brenda's dancing) So funny I almost forgot that a German Irish fencer had broken my nose, well I say broken...I never got it checked, but it did hurt a lot!

Aye, that was fun.

(Not you getting your nose busted- I mean the fencing) :grin:

Hope it goes ahead this year, whomever is on the teams.. :thumbs_up

canco
-24th November 2006, 10:13
While I believe some people in Wales are considering hosting it, we've not actually agreed to do it just yet...
part of the problem is that Wales has no student fencing body, unlike say Scotland. It is possible that one club will just do it unilaterally though.

There is a Welsh Universities championship where we've just had a bit of a major political hiccup - with the one University that nobody wanted to host it declaring that 'as had been agreed' at the previous one (by them), they are now hosting it! Only 4 Unis with major established fencing clubs, and you still get politics... grrr.

That said, watch this space... I will try and escalate things!

PS When do people actually want the damn thing? Last year's timing was not apparently great due to exams and whatnot.

Rep Ireland don't have a student body thingy either. we talked about one a while ago. One guy, formerly captain of UCD, just said, "Right, we're hosting it".

It happened!

MakeTradeFair
-24th November 2006, 11:28
AFAIK Scotland are the only nation with an independent student body.

Nick_C
-24th November 2006, 12:17
Andy, although i'm not actually living in wales atm, if you need help with the organisation, i can certainly help out. (ringing hotels, buying leaks, bringing boxes, laying pistes/whatnot). Also, it might be an idea this year to make a massive cauldron of welsh cawl (stew/soup) for all (~3 a head) rather than charge 10 for a burger :thumbs_up

pigeonmeister
-24th November 2006, 12:34
Also, it might be an idea this year to make a massive cauldron of welsh cawl (stew/soup) for all (~3 a head) rather than charge 10 for a burger :thumbs_up

I think I'd rather have the burger!

Nick_C
-24th November 2006, 12:45
lol, ok 10 burgers it is again!

gbm
-24th November 2006, 12:57
A meeting of Cardiff Uni Fencing Club is planned next Tuesday...

Any information you could give me on how it was run last year (number of pistes, metallics, finals boxes, referees, timings) etc. would be handy since I was too naff at the wavey-sword thing to go...

And the Talybony Social student bar just round the corner (have to check opening times) does a 3/4 lb triple burger and chips for 4.40 :eek:
30p for bacon, 30p for cheese, 30 to upgrade to curly fries...

Although the 4.00 1/2lb Aberdeen Angus burger is WELL worth trying...

Russell1985
-24th November 2006, 13:25
And the Talybony Social student bar just round the corner (have to check opening times) does a 3/4 lb triple burger and chips for 4.40 :eek:
30p for bacon, 30p for cheese, 30 to upgrade to curly fries...

Although the 4.00 1/2lb Aberdeen Angus burger is WELL worth trying...

Damn you've made me hungry! They also do pints of Brains (that's the beverage btw - we're not that weird in Wales) for about 1.50 :grin: Rather than 4 for a Guinness (lovely as it was). You can think of Wales as a cheap date.

Cheers Nick - any help would be greatly appreciated (assuming we decide to take it on at this meeting Tuesday).

pigeonmeister
-24th November 2006, 13:36
A meeting of Cardiff Uni Fencing Club is planned next Tuesday...

Any information you could give me on how it was run last year (number of pistes, metallics, finals boxes, referees, timings)

I recall about 8 pistes, maybe 2 or 3 'roll up' metal pistes. We brought David Sach and Matt Haynes to ref, there was an Irish bloke (crazy hair I recall!) and I don't believe the Scots or Welsh had a ref between them but I could be doing them an injustice. New timings (obviously) and no 'finals' box. Didn't matter for me.

If you are on face book there are a couple of photos here:

http://ubrm.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30826108&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=2217310053&aid=-1&id=61202116&oid=2217310053

Note my Dad, Sister and girlfriend in the background. Even though its quite blurry I think you can still get a sense of my sister's boredom! (especially after I told her Tristan Paris had a fiance!)

There's a good one of Jacko flunging here:

http://ubrm.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30826105&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=2217310053&aid=-1&id=61202116&oid=2217310053

and even one of the Scottish lads in full highland regalia here:

http://ubrm.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2217310053

Incidently- Face book is strangely addictive, sign up at your peril!

pigeonmeister
-24th November 2006, 13:37
You can think of Wales as a cheap date.

But will she still respect me in the morning?

Peter Pan
-24th November 2006, 14:08
We brought David Sach and Matt Haynes to ref, there was an Irish bloke (crazy hair I recall!) and I don't believe the Scots or Welsh had a ref between them but I could be doing them an injustice.

Well, SF paid for Steve Moore to ref, so I hope he went along!

Peter Pan
-24th November 2006, 14:17
Well, SF paid for Steve Moore to ref, so I hope he went along!

Oh wait, I just spotted him looking tired and emotional in one of the photos! Obviously money well spent then!

Nick_C
-24th November 2006, 14:24
oh i thought David Sach was the Welsh referee!?

pigeonmeister
-24th November 2006, 14:35
So we have established that I was totaly wrong then.

Sach stayed with the English, that's what confused me (it doesn't take much)

canco
-24th November 2006, 16:25
Let's be fair now... it was 10 not 10 for the burger and similarly 4 for the pint. Although they still sound like great deals on the 1/2 lb ers.

There was, I think 7 pistes. Most roll out pistes. The sabre ones were taped as I don't think we had enough roll out ones.

We (well not me, Owen) timetabled roughly how it should run. Regarding presidents. The more the merrier!

The Irish president with the hair was I assume our Tony Quinn

Nick_C
-24th November 2006, 16:36
well there's six weapons being fenced. Sabre doesnt need electric pistes, so your really only need four plus 1-2 spare. Talybont (sports hall) would be big enough. In fact, you could even hold it outside of term time so you would be able to sleep the teams in Talybont halls... although the Social may not do food during holiday time. Could book the Black Weir, or a function room in town. Things to think about. :) It gonna be great!!

O*N
-25th November 2006, 16:17
lol, ok 10 burgers it is again!

Bear in mind, it was 10 (not pounds, this would have been 6) for a burger and 4 (2.50) for a beer and you didn't have to pay for accomodation. ;-)

David Sach was just there just for the craic, I think and kindly agreed to ref a few matches when asked.

We had 10 pistes altogether (I can check the schedule again) and ran men's and women's sabre one after the other on two pistes, which didn't really delay things. I think we had 6 or 7 roll-out grounded pistes and did sabre on the non-grounded ones marked out on the floor.

If whenever a person is appointed in charge of organising this one they'd like to compare notes or get a schedule of last years event - Just drop me a PM

Nick_C
-27th November 2006, 23:24
yeah sorry mate, wasn't havin a go! Just suggesting a bit of excitement in the form of welsh recipies :)

Russell1985
-29th November 2006, 02:06
Meeting held - We're good to run it so long as no-one objects. Looking into venue. Will keep everyone posted of developements.

canco
-29th November 2006, 19:32
Excellent!

Lenny
-30th November 2006, 00:32
you could even hold it outside of term time so you would be able to sleep the teams in Talybont halls...

AFAIK all the halls in Talybont aren't the kind that students have to vacate during the holidays (at least i hope not otherwise I'm screwed!) I think there might be some free rooms in the all-girls halls known as Abercrap, but obviously that doesn't help the male contingient much...

gbm
-30th November 2006, 00:46
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IS NOT EVEN AN OFFICIAL SUGGESTION OF A DATE, IT'S SOMETHING I CAME UP WITH INDEPENDENTLY ABOUT 5 MINUTES AGO PURELY BY LOOKING AT THE BF CALENDAR AND NAHOUW.

How would people feel about an Easter day, say (completely randomly) Saturday 22nd of April? For some reason there are no major senior events in April (except the Birmingham).

Of course we have no guarantee of getting any date we want...

Nick_C
-1st December 2006, 23:13
sounds fine to me, although our exam period starts beginning of May. That may not be true of all unis tho, i'm not sure.

Edit: also, it's work checkin there isn't an FA cup final/rugby match that day ;)

iron maiden fan
-4th December 2006, 08:21
AFAIK all the halls in Talybont aren't the kind that students have to vacate during the holidays (at least i hope not otherwise I'm screwed!) I think there might be some free rooms in the all-girls halls known as Abercrap, but obviously that doesn't help the male contingient much...

pfft aberdare hall

Russell1985
-4th December 2006, 13:58
Venue sorted for the 22nd of April - Talybont Sports Centre New Hall. Huge and well lit.

There's talk of incorporating a mini-individual event. Something like: each team selects it's best fencer and they fight it out (straight DE's possibly) so we get some individual champions for each weapon too? It'd also make a nice little show for us muppets who don't make the team :grin: What're peoples thoughts?

Flip
-4th December 2006, 22:22
that sounds good. is ANYONE chatting here from NIR?? these kids with crazy mis-leading names confuse me...
I think our selection consisits of your ability to ate raw potatos, down guinness and put on a fake accent. if the accent is real all the better.
anyway...if oyu're from NIR or qualify for us (actual qualification = at uni there, resident there, born there, would qualify for senior 5 nations) then drop me a PM.
se ya all at BUSAs (accept those from Rep)

Nick_C
-4th December 2006, 22:39
oh you're goin? I heard you were injured :(

Flip
-4th December 2006, 23:01
i am. but then i always am. when as that ever stopped me? lol
will go down and see what i can do, may as well cos i have free board with tom and have alredy paid entry so what the hey...

Maverick
-5th December 2006, 10:04
[QUOTE=Russell1985]Venue sorted for the 22nd of April - Talybont Sports Centre New Hall. Huge and well lit.

QUOTE]

Three weeks off for Easter and it's on the same day as the London marathon! Bah! Oh well I suppose it was just as well I've been lazy about sponsorship...

I'll be around to help out, unless I can find a cunning way of fencing as a student.

TTFN

gbm
-5th December 2006, 10:19
Three weeks off for Easter and it's on the same day as the London marathon! Bah!

Damn - there's always something.

hamsandwich
-5th December 2006, 11:26
so who's picking the irish team then? canco? can i play? :juggle:

canco
-5th December 2006, 12:00
I suppose I'll get on to the other captains and we'll have a nice ol' chat.

What ever the outcome, no you cant. ;)

hamsandwich
-5th December 2006, 14:20
:upset: i know where you live boyo! (not that i'd ever go there :whistle: )

slsteacy
-5th December 2006, 14:33
What exactly are the requriments for getting onto the irish team? Do you have to be in University in Ireland or does being Irish and a student count for anything?

pigeonmeister
-5th December 2006, 15:36
Well last year Ireland had a German and the English had an American so I don't think the criteria is that strict!

Russell1985
-5th December 2006, 17:53
If i remember correctly the Welsh Epee team was entirely Irish.

Old Mongoose
-5th December 2006, 21:17
I suppose I'll get on to the other captains and we'll have a nice ol' chat.

What ever the outcome, no you cant. ;)

Oh, if only there was some sort of national student body that looked after that sort of thi....*muffled sounds*

:whistle: :rolling:

Gangsta G
-5th December 2006, 21:58
I would love to fence for anyone who wants me! (And indeed anyone who doesn't want me!)

gbm
-5th December 2006, 22:16
I would love to fence for anyone who wants me! (And indeed anyone who doesn't want me!)

Ironically enough I believe you fence the only weapon in which Wales have probably got any idea who to pick a team for!

Lenny
-5th December 2006, 22:19
I can't speak for him but AFAIK I very much doubt Gangsta would assent to fencing for Wales! (he has issues)

gbm
-5th December 2006, 22:27
Last year I understand each nation was asked to bring a non-fencing FIE referee or something?
Would this be possible again? I'd like to bring in some 'house referees' as well, budget (bl**dy well) permitting, and I don't think FIE referees are required - just good (preferably) qualified ones, but it would be nice to get 80%-100% of all fights properly refereed.
We're probably going with 10 pistes, fencing MF, WF, ME, WE on two pistes each, then sabre on the other two (first girls/boys, then the reverse once they've finished or some epee matches have finished).
This would also mean the sabreurs, if sufficiently competent, could referee their opposite sex (getting goodies thrown their way, of course) as they would be never be fencing simultaneously.

Possible timetable?
ME, WE matches at 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00
MF, WF matches at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00
WS matches 10:00, 10:45, 11:30, 12:15, 13:00
MS matches 13:00, 13:45, 14:30, 15:15, 16:00
Based on the following assumptions:
Foil matches take the longest, but should still be <1 hour per match
Epee matches can take a long time, but some should be quicker
Sabre matches are fast! (hooray)
By 13:00, some of the epeeists should have finished in case the WS haven't already, letting the MS get on with it.
With 5 nations, it is possibly to fence continuously on 2 pistes.
Break for lunch at 13:00 for everybody except the MS (unless the WS have been so quick that the MS get on pistes before 12:30)
WS may be substituted for MS

These times are quite possibly horrendously conservative (or even horrendously optimistic :rolleyes: )

Now to just to find fancy boxes, 8 conductive pistes, tower lights all round, airborne pigs... I'm going to make this as good as I can, anyway!

I'm assuming England and Scotland are both going to put in 6 teams, is that likely for the NI and the Republic as well?

On an entirely unrelated not, :whistle: what was the entry fee last year? :rolling:

Gangsta G
-6th December 2006, 01:20
I can't speak for him but AFAIK I very much doubt Gangsta would assent to fencing for Wales! (he has issues):grin:

Well I'm not denying it... desperate times call for desperate measures! ;) :tongue: As I said anyone who's willing to take me!

gbm
-6th December 2006, 08:56
:grin:

Well I'm not denying it... desperate times call for desperate measures! ;) :tongue: As I said anyone who's willing to take me!

Got any parents or grandparents born in Wales? :grin:

Gangsta G
-6th December 2006, 10:16
Got any parents or grandparents born in Wales? :grin: Sadly not, I don't think... I have been to Wales before though, does that count?!

Marcos
-6th December 2006, 10:45
We're probably going with 10 pistes, fencing MF, WF, ME, WE on two pistes each, then sabre on the other two (first girls/boys, then the reverse once they've finished or some epee matches have finished).

etc

I've sent Canco the (superb) excel programme that is used for the 5 Nations

allows you to keep track of scores, print out poule sheets, etc

also in that file is the timetable that was used for the Quad match (Ireland, IRL students, Scotland B, RAF) match which will give you an idea of timings

pm me your email if you fancy a copy, or Canco will distribute

Nick_C
-6th December 2006, 13:22
how bout pick the teams after the busas this weekend?

and iirc there was no entry fee

canco
-6th December 2006, 18:54
I'd say that'd be too early to pick teams!

But in Ireland we took the same requirements as fencing in the intervarsities. So for anyone interested, if you are able to fence in the varsities then you can fence for Ireland.

Although we never thought about Irish people abroad. I'm sure we can look at that if there was anyone out there.

gbm
-6th December 2006, 19:44
That date of the 22nd of April is subject to change - specifically, it may (as in hopefully) change to the 21st of April (a Saturday rather than a Sunday, to enable Saturday night festivities!).

So don't book anything yet. Anybody eager to book ahead, PM me and I'll keep you informed - we are in the final stages of booking the venue, we just need to sort a few things out (we want a certain hall because it's better, but there are boards across the middle that would have to be removed to lay pistes out, and apparently it takes quite a lot of effort, and either some of us would have to be trained to do it or we'd have to pay for it, and they don't really want to do either...)

PS regarding information given on this forum: If I haven't said it's official, it isn't.

Nick_C
-6th December 2006, 19:49
just an idea andy, you could stand by each check-in at the busas and say "anybody remotely Welsh here?" and take names...

Gangsta G
-6th December 2006, 20:22
That date of the 22nd of April is subject to change - specifically, it may (as in hopefully) change to the 21st of April (a Saturday rather than a Sunday, to enable Saturday night festivities!).I really don't think that's a great date - it clashes with one of the biggest opens of the year! But seeing as there's no reason to say any nation will ask me to fence anyway...

Nick_C
-6th December 2006, 20:29
forgive me, but which open?

Gangsta G
-6th December 2006, 20:32
forgive me, but which open?Oops. Blonde moment. It is in fact 2 weeks after Birmingham - ignore me!

gbm
-6th December 2006, 20:35
I really don't think that's a great date - it clashes with one of the biggest opens of the year! But seeing as there's no reason to say any nation will ask me to fence anyway...

Nick_C beat me to it.

I think April is one of the emptiest parts of the calendar, which (together with it being Easter) is part of the reason it has sort of been chosen... it will as well spaced between the Birmingham and the Excalibur (or IOW a week later) as possible.

Russell1985
-7th December 2006, 00:19
got the 21st, pending on the boards still - won't know till after Christmas - but even if we can't get them moved shouldn't be a problem - Hampshire Open deals with it fine.

gbm
-13th December 2006, 17:15
AND it's OFFICIAL!

The Incredible Student 5 Nations Round II will be held on Saturday 21st of April in Talybont Sports Village, Cardiff.

END OF OFFICIAL BIT

After the fencing, there should be a buffet meal in Cardiff, which presumably will be open to all fencers and spectators/cheerleaders/coaches/referees.

Entry forms will probably come out after Christmas once we've decided the timings and how much the thing is going to cost...

canco
-13th December 2006, 20:37
Entry forms will probably come out after Christmas once we've decided the timings ...

The new ones obviously ;)

gbm
-13th December 2006, 20:56
The new ones obviously ;)

:tongue:

I meant the timings of the different weapons, as in whether to make the mens or the girls sabre start before everyone else (in order to run them after each other on the same pistes), whether the foilists or the epeeists should get up first in the morning... (depends on who will take longer!) :nanananan
Basically I want everything to finish at exactly the same time (except either the mens or the girls sabre, which should finish earlier).

gbm
-13th December 2006, 21:06
And finally do people want a break to adjourn for lunch (burger and chips in the Social), or a runner to buy a load of stuff from Tescos (which is just round the corner), or just roll straight through without lunch (say 10-4)?

Old Mongoose
-13th December 2006, 23:21
And finally do people want a break to adjourn for lunch (burger and chips in the Social), or a runner to buy a load of stuff from Tescos (which is just round the corner), or just roll straight through without lunch (say 10-4)?
If memory serves, there's not really a need for a lunch break- each team gets at a good breather for a least one fight so in that time they can grab whatever they need from nearby.

Not essential but I suppose if you really want a break a half an hour would suffice for all of them, no?

gbm
-13th December 2006, 23:28
Another great benefit of our venue... there is a McDonalds at the entrance to the car park :whistle:

D'Artignan
-13th December 2006, 23:33
Ah, but where's the Student Union? We have to get our priorities sorted....:whistle:

Nick_C
-14th December 2006, 00:57
it's on the way into town. Bout 10-15 mins walk, depending on how fast you walk! Is it still 1 a pint there?

gbm
-14th December 2006, 13:47
Important request: Can I have contact details for the four captains of England, Scotland, NI and Rep of Ireland, just so that I can put information up on websites and things. You don't actually have to be in charge, just be in a position to pass on people who want to be considered for selection etc.
PM me your details please!

O*N
-14th December 2006, 15:57
Although we never thought about Irish people abroad. I'm sure we can look at that if there was anyone out there.

Funny that, I wasn't aware that I hadn't thought of Irish Students abroad, particularly when I invited Kit Rumney onto the team.

Basically I want everything to finish at exactly the same time (except either the mens or the girls sabre, which should finish earlier).

If you want my advice, don't bother. The 5 Nations in Wales were an absolute pain in the ass because it was done this way. Just have seperate pistes for seperate weapons and let them run at there own speed. Keep the matches rolling and don't be too strict on keeping to a timetable if the weapons are running quicker than you expected. Team fencing involves an awful lot of standing around and it shouldn't be any way strenuous for anyone to fence 4 team matches in a day.

Don't bother with a break for tea and crumpets, the match where a team aren't fencing will take care of that - as mongoose has already said.

The timetable you proposed several posts ago seems fine - don't go messing with perfection.

canco
-14th December 2006, 16:05
Funny that, I wasn't aware that I hadn't thought of Irish Students abroad, particularly when I invited Kit Rumney onto the team.

Apologies. I'm obviously left out of the loop that is your mind. I didn't know. Sorry!

Nick_C
-14th December 2006, 16:21
Who is the welsh captain this year, just out of interest? The scots are having a men's & ladies captain. Do we have one, or two?

iron maiden fan
-15th December 2006, 09:00
Ah, but where's the Student Union? We have to get our priorities sorted....:whistle:

its in town near the main uni buildings. about 20-25 minute walk from the venue. better idea. take over the Blackweir for a night. spend 10 on drink and get a free fry-up

D'Artignan
-16th December 2006, 00:29
10 on drink? I know I'm a student, but I'm not cheap. (Unless you ask nicely....):whistle: :rolling:

gbm
-16th December 2006, 13:22
Important request: Can I have contact details for the four captains of England, Scotland, NI and Rep of Ireland, just so that I can put information up on websites and things. You don't actually have to be in charge, just be in a position to pass on people who want to be considered for selection etc.
PM me your details please!

OK I now have details for everyone except Scotland.

Nick_C
-16th December 2006, 13:26
twohappyhippos & Scottyboy aka Esther Kuhlmey & Scott Brodie i think are the scots captains

MakeTradeFair
-16th December 2006, 16:21
The scots are having a men's & ladies captain. Do we have one, or two?
You say this as if it is a new thing, whereas in actual fact Scottish Student Fencing have elected mens and womans captains for as long as I have been a student (admittedly only 4 years). We also have a President., secretary and treasurer.

Nick_C
-16th December 2006, 17:05
Ah ok. I just assumed that you were the Scot Captain last year (because you seemd to be organising most stuff), and this year there was a series of posts on this thread eg "Ok Scott, you do the girls and I'll do the boys....plan?" suggesting a newness to the whole picking-of-teams etc situation. :|

gbm
-16th December 2006, 18:24
Chris Markall is the overall Welsh captain, and the men's captain (I don't know if there is a women's captain - there are a few people who have been asked to look out for particular weapons etc).

MakeTradeFair
-8th January 2007, 14:18
It has been recently brought to my attention that one nation is looking at taking students that gradated last summer as part of their Student 5 Nations team.
When the event was started last year, this was never considered to be an eligible method of selection - mainly because people that graduated last year are no longer students. This is not allowed.

gbm
-8th January 2007, 14:40
It has been recently brought to my attention that one nation is looking at taking students that gradated last summer as part of their Student 5 Nations team.
When the event was started last year, this was never considered to be an eligible method of selection - mainly because people that graduated last year are no longer students. This is not allowed.

Please contact Chris Markall (Welsh Captain) with your information
(assuming it's not us you are complaining about - which AFAIK it isn't. I'm pretty sure we aren't selecting a fencer we had last year for just this reason).

MakeTradeFair
-8th January 2007, 14:56
I was merely clarifying the rules rather than complaining about anyone in particular. And no-it wasnt Wales... ... ...!

alien abductee
-8th January 2007, 16:38

That MTF, he's so tough...:muscles:

alien abductee
-8th January 2007, 16:39
... but fair.

Marcos
-9th January 2007, 08:00

is this a question or a statement?

if it is a statement it might be worth checking with the other captains

(I'm a coach, not a student, so have no say in this but there seems to be a discrepancy you need to sort out....)

if you can fence in the Irish intervarsities you can fence for Ireland

if you are an irish student abroad you can fence for ieland

In Ireland college students have a year of grace where they can represent their college the year after graduation

This is principally due to
- 90% of college fencers start in college at the age of 18
- Fencing is a small enough sport here so the rule gives clubs the chance for a smoother transition from year to year
- etc

might be worth having a chat off line !

:thumbs_up

(or change the rules to say
1. you must have started fencing in college
2. you must be an undergraduate)

O*N
-9th January 2007, 08:48

It was my understanding when I organised and hosted the tournament last year that the selection criteria was up to each individual country. The Irish and Northern Irish qualification criteria remains, as far as I know will remain, anyone who can qualify for the Irish Intervarsities or an Irish student abroad.

That makes it considerably easier for the two Irish teams to have complete teams, particularly when we have to travel.

Another thing, there are no rules for this competition yet, there are only individuals recollections of what were the rules last year mixed with their own personal opinion - as demonstrated by MTF. The competition ran fine on these rules last year and perfectly within the spirit it was intended. What endangers that spirit is people imposing rules with no authority or suggesting that teams not within their remit are somehow swaying from that spirit.

I don't see how this is the place to discuss this. This should be discussed among the captains of each nation.

Are you trying to suggest that because it is typed on a public internet forum that it has to be true because I'm not sure if that follows, WTF MTF?

MakeTradeFair
-9th January 2007, 11:47
The selection criteria is up to each country.

However... it is the STUDENT 5 nations! Graduates are not STUDENTS!!!! They do not have valid student ID cards! Maybe Scotland will decide this year that anyone that has once been a student can be in the team?!

Failing that - maybe the running should be handed over to BUSA, who will publish strict rules on who is eligible... and spoil the fun for everyone.

P.S. Were there any gradutes part of the teams last year? None that I am aware of.

pigeonmeister
-9th January 2007, 12:36
Failing that - maybe the running should be handed over to BUSA, who will publish strict rules on who is eligible... and spoil the fun for everyone.

To be honest this is a competition that needs to be handed over to either British Fencing or BUSA asap. Only then will it receive proper recognition and the formality associated with the home internationals and school games. Don't get me wrong last year was awesome and I loved the informality, but it didn't get much coverage (not even the results on the BF website) and the organisation by some countries was 'seat of the pants' stuff. Great fun but needs to be more official in my view.

MakeTradeFair
-9th January 2007, 13:37
Very much agreed pigeon.

I probably think BUSA would do the best job - no offence to BF of course, but BUSA are the student fencing body. The only concern is that if BUSA do take over running - they would probably want teams to be based with regards to where someone was at university... probably securing Englands success for ever more!

I do believe that if this even was not started ba a couple of individuals - neither BUSA or BF would be prepared to start it themselves. So - despite current informalities... its a job well done.

MakeTradeFair
-9th January 2007, 13:46
I also reckon we should up the spice and replace a loosing nation with Germany or someone... :thumbs_up

Marcos
-9th January 2007, 14:09
To be honest this is a competition that needs to be handed over to either British Fencing or BUSA asap. Only then will it receive proper recognition and the formality associated with the home internationals and school games. Don't get me wrong last year was awesome and I loved the informality, but it didn't get much coverage (not even the results on the BF website) and the organisation by some countries was 'seat of the pants' stuff. Great fun but needs to be more official in my view.

maybe because it went from nothing to a fully functioning team international comp in the space of a few weeks...???!!!!

a formalised system would help, but remember BUSA have no jurisdiction in either NIR or IRL.

and you don't want it to get overly complicated as that would spoil the common-sense and flexible approach that the organisers employed last year

pigeonmeister
-9th January 2007, 14:15
maybe because it went from nothing to a fully functioning team international comp in the space of a few weeks...???!!!!

a formalised system would help, but remember BUSA have no jurisdiction in either NIR or IRL.

and you don't want it to get overly complicated as that would spoil the common-sense and flexible approach that the organisers employed last year

So it's a trade off- more coverage, prestige and formal recognition

Or common sense!!

Marcos
-9th January 2007, 14:21
no, i said the trade off is common sense vs making it overly complicated

Nick_C
-9th January 2007, 14:55
any chance of having press coverage of the event this time around?

i've no idea how these things work - do you ask the (eg) BBC or do they ask you...?

MakeTradeFair
-9th January 2007, 15:05
At something like this - you ask them.

As pigeon kindof said... if it was organised by BUSA or whoever - it would be more likely to get some coverage. Because it is currently a purely friendly "unofficial" comp - I can't see anyone apart from possibly the local paper being interested.

Would love to be proved wrong though. :not_worth

Aer
-9th January 2007, 15:59
hey mtf.

theres a big push on the bbc for "your news" esp with the newish 606 blog-styled website.

could be worthwhile seeing what people come up with for some quotes, get some piste side reaction, some pics and write it up.

even if you didnt get it published for 2007, you could then use it to publicise 2008, and beyond, hopefully getting some interest from (say) BUSA/ media.

D'Artignan
-9th January 2007, 16:13
could be worthwhile seeing what people come up with for some quotes, get some piste side reaction, some pics and write it up.
Somehow I don't think you could publish most of the better quotes that would come up....:whistle:

Aer
-9th January 2007, 16:25
.... thats what facebook is for...

gbm
-9th January 2007, 17:10
As pigeon kindof said... if it was organised by BUSA or whoever - it would be more likely to get some coverage. Because it is currently a purely friendly "unofficial" comp - I can't see anyone apart from possibly the local paper being interested.

This isn't a purely friendly "unofficial" comp - this is a serious international student competition! :whistle:

Why would being registered with BUSA get more coverage? Or with BF (because BF events get so much coverage).

I think Cardiff Uni is actually reasonably excited about holding an event with this level of pedigree (:rolling: - it's all about the spin. No really, the AU are though!).

As for publicity, I'll ask.

As for rules, if people actually want some rules (although 'guidelines' might be better) then they are going to have to write themselves and get the captains to agree amongst themselves. This is an international competition after all, so as Marcos says this would be over-extending their remit.

Old Mongoose
-9th January 2007, 18:07
The selection criteria is up to each country.

However... it is the STUDENT 5 nations! Graduates are not STUDENTS!!!! They do not have valid student ID cards! Maybe Scotland will decide this year that anyone that has once been a student can be in the team?!
Graduates can't, but graduands can seemingly.

Failing that - maybe the running should be handed over to BUSA,

Eh, no.

To be honest this is a competition that needs to be handed over to either British Fencing or BUSA asap. Only then will it receive proper recognition and the formality associated with the home internationals and school games.
It doesn't have to be an existing organisation to give it credibility. Do student fencers themselves not give it that?

but it didn't get much coverage (not even the results on the BF website)
Did anyone actually give them the results? Because here, if you want it in the national papers all you do is ring them up and fax them the results. I've seen it done.

and the organisation by some countries was 'seat of the pants' stuff. Great fun but needs to be more official in my view.

Not looking in Wales' direction.... :nanananan

pinkelephant
-9th January 2007, 21:05
So if you never actually turn up to a degree ceremony, can you carry on fencing as a graduand forever?

O*N
-9th January 2007, 21:40
Did anyone actually give them the results? Because here, if you want it in the national papers all you do is ring them up and fax them the results. I've seen it done.

Why would we want to advertise it that England won something? :P

The competition needs to be handed over to BUSA or British Fencing like it needs to be a four nations... or maybe three and a half nations.

Screw this, I'm off to organise a friendly competition for Ireland against some nations which are less anal!

...Northern Ireland can come to Venezula with us if they like. :D

gbm
-9th January 2007, 22:14
What would BF actually do with it anyway?

I have registered this years competition with BF as a 'registered event' (though I haven't heard back yet), but that's purely for insurance.

I'd would be happy to join you in Venezuela :) if we're welcome, of course.

Old Mongoose
-9th January 2007, 22:18
So if you never actually turn up to a degree ceremony, can you carry on fencing as a graduand forever?
It's the time after you have completed all the neccessary work for your degree but before you are conferred (i.e degree in hand)

You are not allowed to call yourself a graduate until you are conferred, the term used in that limbo place is 'graduand'. I think it's a Scottish word originally.

Nick_C
-9th January 2007, 23:18
it's one of those words invented by pretentious upper-class professor types so that they could converse without the lower orders understanding a word:whistle:

Other regular examples include words like "doffing". Oxbridge have literally hundreds of such words...

MakeTradeFair
-9th January 2007, 23:25
This isn't a purely friendly "unofficial" comp - this is a serious international student competition! :whistle:
Surely it can only be a disaster when you put "serious" and "students" in the same sentance...

Why would being registered with BUSA get more coverage?
Because BUSA is a household familiar name that everyone knows. The media like stories that they can sell... and adding in BUSA will make it easier for the press to tell the story to the public.

EDIT: The main point of handing to BUSA would be that university athletics unions exist soley for BUSA. They love it. If its BUSA - universities are a lot more likely to give money to selected fencers to compete there.

I think Cardiff Uni is actually reasonably excited about holding an event with this level of pedigree (:rolling: - it's all about the spin. No really, the AU are though!).
Fantastic news, glad to hear it GMB, keep up the good work.

Notice that Old Mon never said no.... ... Actually - I am almost thinking about doing this to avoid paying that Graduate Endowment Fees to SAAS - and I know a handful of people who have done this!!

Screw this, I'm off to organise a friendly competition for Ireland against some nations which are less anal!
A student competition is never going to be anything but friendly - its just the student way. That doesn't mean there shouldnt be more stringent rules.

What would BF do with it anyway?
I don't know... you would have to ask them. Probably not much - I think BUSA is the way forward - because they would give it the required time and love.

With this graduand thing... I know people in the past who have taken a year out to train after university. Is it really fair to have people who have trained practically full time for a year against students who have time for considerably less training?!?!?

MTF

sausage
-9th January 2007, 23:32
If IRL and NI both stuggle to get teams, the solution then is for them to merge to become MIR (Mega-IReland).

The other nations probably wouldnt complain - and would give England more than one reasonable fight.

Maybe then they could even get a team of legitimate students!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Mongoose
-9th January 2007, 23:42
If IRL and NI both stuggle to get teams, the solution then is for them to merge to become MIR (Mega-IReland).

The other nations probably wouldnt complain - and would give England more than one reasonable fight.

Maybe then they could even get a team of legitimate students!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ireland didn't struggle to get a team last time at all. On the contary, we supplied extra fencers to those teams that couldn't - and gladly too. It was all about getting it off the ground and helping each other out.

I think NIR deserve and want a team just as any of us do.

MTF, BUSA may be a household name to you, ;) but it's not especially attractive to us. We would gain nothing from it - it could easily be foreseen that it would be harder for us to have an equal input into the structure down the road. :dont:

sausage
-9th January 2007, 23:46
Sorry for any offence Old Mon, I was just going by what people... who appear to be from IRL or NI said earlier in this thread.

Marcos
-10th January 2007, 08:02

whilst what he/she writes is totally wrong, sausage is a great username

having said that, the Irish team ought to get the team pretty much selected by the start of March . From experience organising the Irish Quad team the last few years, selecting students to fence in Ireland is fairly easy...getting them to commit to fencing abroad can be more of a challenge.

O*N
-10th January 2007, 09:35

I'll put that to Doctor Ian Paisley, see what he says. Sport would have been an excellent reason for a united Ireland. The Irish football team of the sixties would have been quite brilliant - with George Best and John Giles.

And entertaining England is the whole point in the tournament!?

PS I don't like the username Sausage, bit too phallic!

canco
-10th January 2007, 11:16
First of all, I think that if Northern Ireland and Rep. Ireland were to join, I think "Ireland" would fit the bill as a suitable name. I could be wrong...

It looks as though I'm sorting out the Rep. Ireland team. LOOKS... So far, it looks like there is enough enthusiasm to get a team over to Cardiff just for the Rep. Ireland.

Although

having said that, the Irish team ought to get the team pretty much selected by the start of March . From experience organising the Irish Quad team the last few years, selecting students to fence in Ireland is fairly easy...getting them to commit to fencing abroad can be more of a challenge.

I could be wrong!

Marcos
-10th January 2007, 11:36
don;t get me wrong, should be fine - just give yourself plenty of time, get flights booked early, etc etc etc etc etc

Nick_C
-10th January 2007, 11:48
why dont we just have a 2 nations competition?

England vs rest of UK & Ireland?? :p

might at least stop them winning...

O*N
-10th January 2007, 11:56
why dont we just have a 2 nations competition?

But sure we already have that, thanks to the reffing at the senior 5 nations competion. :P

rory
-10th January 2007, 12:03
No, the whole purpose of the competition is for Scotland to have additional chances to humiliate the English overlord.

And I suspect that anyone who calls themselves "Sausage" would actually be better named "Maggot".

scottishsabreur
-10th January 2007, 12:52
So how do the nominations for the Scotland Reps team work? Glasgow uni mentioned something about it but I'm at Strathclyde and at the moment no one has mentioned anything about it. Help please?

pigeonmeister
-10th January 2007, 12:58
Who's England's captain- it was Libby Payne last year, will it be again?
What is selection criteria this year and when will it be made?

MakeTradeFair
-10th January 2007, 13:28
Who's England's captain- it was Libby Payne last year, will it be again?
What is selection criteria this year and when will it be made?
I think England will have the pleasure of being organised by Danny Ryan. I do not have an email address for him I am afraid - but I can't imagine he is too hard to find...

How do the nominations for the Scotland Reps team work? Glasgow uni mentioned something about it but I'm at Strathclyde and at the moment no one has mentioned anything about it. Help please?
Your university captains will have had an email about it. Basically captains are to nominate people from their club who they think are in the top 3-5 in Scotland, then myself, Esther and Scottyboy will look through them all and select a team based upon performance, experience and other valuble team aspects. I suppose GB rankings will be used primarily, but perhaps looking at other comp on the Scottish Student Circuit for anyone nominated who has not competed much.

In answer to Old Mongoose earlier... I am aware that BUSA is not relavent to Ireland... but - if it means the university will pay for 3 out of the 5 nations to compete in the competition - SURELY thats a good thing. It will also help fencing get more recognition for University Athletic Union awards here.

scottishsabreur
-10th January 2007, 13:35
We have a huge communication problem at our club at the mo, does it have to be your club captain who nominates you? Could you send this information to the strath uni secretary address, fence_strath_secretary@hotmail.co.uk

ta!

DJR
-10th January 2007, 17:36
Yep I am more than happy to organise the England team this year,although if England fencing want one of their officials to do it then I won't be too offended I suppose.

My email is djr49@cam.ac.uk.

Cheers,
Danny

Old Mongoose
-10th January 2007, 17:44
Sorry for any offence Old Mon, I was just going by what people... who appear to be from IRL or NI said earlier in this thread.
None taken whatsoever - I'm not speaking on anyones behalf by the way. I've nothing to do with either NIR or RoI selection or organisation.

And if I remember correctly, there were some stonkingly good (and close) fights last year (Mens Foil - Scotland vs. England springs to mind).

MTF, I know - but I'm just saying that instead of taking it out of our (everyone's) hands to put it to another organisation, maybe just some better lines of communication could be established? This forum has proven to be quite useful :thumbs_up And I hear Facebook is what those English kids use these days. :grin:

Wait.... your Union/University pays for you in this type of thing? :eek:

alien abductee
-10th January 2007, 18:35
But sure we already have that, thanks to the reffing at the senior 5 nations competion. :P

Assuming that's a joke otherwise it's the most pathetic excuse for Ireland's results at the 5 Nations. Consider, if you will, the quality of refs generally supplied by the Republic.

Shame on you O*N, you're smart enough to know better.

Old Mongoose
-10th January 2007, 18:47
Assuming that's a joke otherwise it's the most pathetic excuse for Ireland's results at the 5 Nations. Consider, if you will, the quality of refs generally supplied by the Republic.

Shame on you O*N, you're smart enough to know better.
Hook. Line. And sinker.

---> :p <------ that normally means "taking the p*ss".

;)

alien abductee
-10th January 2007, 18:54
OOPS!:o: But I have actually heard this being offered as an explanation for the Republic's 'deferred success' at the 5 Nations.

Excuse me a moment while I remove this foot, hook, line, sinker et al from my mouth...

O*N
-10th January 2007, 22:27
Yeah, the smilies don't seem to work on my browser, so I'm left using old school emoticons like a neanderthal --> :-(

I do like that - "deferred success" - I must write it in my compendium of euphamisms.

alien abductee
-10th January 2007, 22:32
Mine work. I think I'll use these ones:eek: :eekk2: :o: to express how I feel about my earlier idiocy!

D'Artignan
-10th January 2007, 22:40
Whereas the rest of us are used to it....:nanananan [/hypocrasy]

alien abductee
-10th January 2007, 23:24
Whereas the rest of us are used to it....:nanananan [/hypocrasy]

Indeed. Whereas your idiocy reaches levels that continually surprise and delight:tongue:

D'Artignan
-10th January 2007, 23:40
What can I say? I have a talent for it....:nanananan Though I'm not sure it delights anyone.

O*N
-17th January 2007, 09:47
Great news everyone. After messing around with my settings I can use smilies again. :grin:

The student five nations is saved, no more misunderstandings due to a lack of emoticons. ;)

gbm
-17th January 2007, 12:24
Great news everyone. After messing around with my settings I can use smilies again. :grin:

The student five nations is saved, no more misunderstandings due to a lack of emoticons. ;)

:party: :mexwave: :party:
:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Nick_C
-17th January 2007, 12:47
so you're unhappy about that, right?

Nick_C
-12th February 2007, 00:03
Possible timetable?
ME, WE matches at 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00
MF, WF matches at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00
WS matches 10:00, 10:45, 11:30, 12:15, 13:00
MS matches 13:00, 13:45, 14:30, 15:15, 16:00
Based on the following assumptions:
Sabre matches are fast! (hooray)
Break for lunch at 13:00 for everybody except the MS (unless the WS have been so quick that the MS get on pistes before 12:30)
WS may be substituted for MS

Now to just to find fancy boxes, 8 conductive pistes, tower lights all round, airborne pigs... I'm going to make this as good as I can, anyway!

Can you allow 1 hour for the (men's) sabre? It'll take 30 minutes with no hiccups, and it's nice to have time for reflection and a short break before the next team match. And i dont think sabreurs like metal pistes. The rolled ones are slipped for no good reason:(

gbm
-12th February 2007, 08:28
And i dont think sabreurs like metal pistes. The rolled ones are slipped for no good reason:(

Sadly at this point putting metal pistes out at all is probably unlikely. :upset:

Entry forms SHOULD go out this week (although I may have to do some long-distance kicking)...

scottishsabreur
-21st February 2007, 15:53
Any sign of teams being announced for this yet?

Nick_C
-22nd February 2007, 00:05
Welsh team is not decided yet. If you are a student in a Welsh University, or a Welsh student at a non-Welsh University, please visit and join

http://lboro.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2245141945

canco
-2nd March 2007, 15:54
Any sign of entries?

Or contact in NI? From what I can see it's a bit of a mess right now there.

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 15:55
Isnt flip organising NI entries?

Russell1985
-27th March 2007, 14:38
Well some fool has got me picking the welsh men's foil team again. I could really do with suggestions/volunteers. Plus - If anyone has Steve Tarlings contact details could they PM me. Cheers all.

Scottyboy
-6th April 2007, 10:41
With the comp very nearly upon us, I just wanted to say (with some trepidation) that the Scotland team is pretty much organized. We've got a team, our hostel is booked, and we all Know how we're getting there.

All in all, we're sorted.

How are all the other teams getting on?

canco
-6th April 2007, 11:39
I've just confirmed the final spot on the WS team (ROI). We now have full teams for the lot. Almost everyone's got their flights booked and we're all in the same hostel!

...This is gonna be great!

twohappyhippos
-6th April 2007, 12:50
I'm excited!!!! Took a lot of work and effort to get this far though! Which hostels are you lot in? Scotland are in the Nomad...think the free t-shirts closed the deal for us! Saturday night should be interesting with Scotland having a full team initiation (we didn't do them last year), apologises for the drunkeness in advance!

Nick_C
-6th April 2007, 14:00
Good good. NIreland was having a little trouble, but think they're prob sorted by now. Wales are almost done. Eng men's teams done. That just leaves the entire England women's teams.....

canco
-7th April 2007, 18:55
We're staying in Cardiff Backpacker, it looks pretty central to everything!

Free T-Shirts? Sweeeeeeet! I don't think we'll have an initiation, just show you guys how it's supposed to be done... :D

Nick_C
-11th April 2007, 12:33
Can everyone make sure they've entered their teams (ie names AND MONEY!!!!) to the competition organiser ASAP! I gather that we're currently down several hundred pounds because people are not sending in their cheques. Remember that it's 5 per person entered (including reserves) and an additional 7 per person if you wish to attend to evening buffet... which i'm sure you all do! So if you're on the team and reading this, please can you bully your team mates/the Team Captain to ensure that everyone has sent their 12. It will be highly inconvenient for us to accept monies on the day. Thank you.

Maverick
-19th April 2007, 09:21
Good luck Wales!

madfencer
-19th April 2007, 10:11
Good luck everyone! (especially England ;) )

gbm
-19th April 2007, 22:44
I'm just excited that despite all the odds, it does seem like this years Student 5 Nations will actually happen, and Wales will actually have a full team! :party:

(albeit without Northern Ireland, metallic pistes, fancy boxes, enough referees, good lighting... :whistle: )

So who's going to do it next year - or will we decide that on Saturday?

canco
-20th April 2007, 09:00
We'd need to talk about it, but how about getting Northern Ireland to host it? that way they might be able to field a team!

Marcos
-20th April 2007, 10:03
God speed Ireland!

NIR to host it

a very good suggestion, especially as the current crop of NIR fencers won't be around in a couple of years

(ie if they don't host now, then possibly never)

fencingmum
-21st April 2007, 14:56
Very well done to all the Scots who fenced so well today!
Congratulations!!

madfencer
-22nd April 2007, 00:00
Any results yet?

PM1
-22nd April 2007, 08:51
AS they are probably all still out of it......Scotland won everything EXCEPT men's epee, which ENGLAND won (of course !!!).

I thought it looked well organised and clearly was good fun.

Well done, GBM and team (and lovely cake, too !!):thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Maverick
-22nd April 2007, 11:27
What a well run comp, if only I'd been a little more awake after a long week at the army's!! The organisers looked after us few refs very well, so hopefully more will support it next year.

fencingmum
-22nd April 2007, 12:42
Maybe Madfencer should have considered Scottish universities for her fencing after all..... They've certainly come up trumps here!

fencingmum
-22nd April 2007, 12:43
Maybe Madfencer should have considered Scottish universities for her fencing after all..... They've certainly come up trumps here! Well done again, all concerned

gbm
-22nd April 2007, 13:08
Results in the form of a photo (at least for now)... now I've got to do lots of post-competition washing up.

http://www.gwentswordclub.co.uk/temp/scores.jpg

D'Artignan
-22nd April 2007, 23:23
GBM, maybe you could explain the complete lack of karaoke bars in Cardiff? It's not as if it's a classy place, and it completely mucked up our initiation plans. And what in the name of God was in the glaze for those chicken things? I had to spend about 45 (admittedly only about 3 pints....) on booze to cool my mouth down after eating two of them....

Oh, and well done to the organisers, and erm, well, us, for winning.:nanananan :grin:

And the rest of the fencers for trying to out-drink us, but failing miserably. Oh, and for making it a damn good weekend.

gbm
-23rd April 2007, 00:09
GBM, maybe you could explain the complete lack of karaoke bars in Cardiff? It's not as if it's a classy place, and it completely mucked up our initiation plans.

:shrug:

And what in the name of God was in the glaze for those chicken things? I had to spend about 45 (admittedly only about 3 pints....) on booze to cool my mouth down after eating two of them....

Not sure, there weren't any left by the time I got there... though I gorged myself on the large number of fantastic honey-coated sausages they brought out later :)

What did people think of the date? OK, so maybe two days before the student loan wasn't such a great idea :whistle:, but at least the weekend was relatively clear (London marathon excepting).

And finally, the most important question - where to next year? :eek:

madfencer
-23rd April 2007, 00:21
Maybe Madfencer should have considered Scottish universities for her fencing after all..... They've certainly come up trumps here! Well done again, all concerned

erm...no. lol. Well done Scotland though. I'm sure there was some brilliant fencing and refereeing so well done to all :)

pinkelephant
-23rd April 2007, 08:04
:shrug:

, but at least the weekend was relatively clear (London marathon excepting).

:eek:

Apart from the Olympic Pathway/TASS camp.

-23rd April 2007, 08:07
it also came right in the middle most people's exam period!

gbm
-23rd April 2007, 10:34
Apart from the Olympic Pathway/TASS camp.

Oops... though that presumably won't repeat for next year? Was that my fault, or was the camp date published later than the 13th December (when we published ours)?

it also came right in the middle most people's exam period!

It was worse last year (although obviously as the first time around I suspect they had less flexibility.

Who has exams in April, anyway? In Cardiff only the Postgrads, and their exams were over by then.
At least for us most exams are in May/June. I couldn't make the LIUF foil last year because I had an exam on the Saturday (and an exam on the Monday, but I still made the sabre :whistle: )

When would you suggest?

O*N
-23rd April 2007, 10:43
And the rest of the fencers for trying to out-drink us, but failing miserably.

I found myself involuntarily snorting when I read that. :rolling:

After last years boat-race where Ireland so comprehensively destroyed every other nation that they had already left the bar, gone to a night-club, took a shot of tequilla through their collective eye-ball, and then had a kebab and were on their way home throwing up in a taxi before second-place scotland had started cheering thinking they had won... [deep-breath]... there wasn't even a boat-race held at all this year.

That was the one disappointment of the weekend and I think it is safe to say that the organisational team should all be shot as result of that. Briefly before being shot they should be presented with a congratulatory note on the rest of the weekend and a 5 book-token in recognition of our gratitude.

Nick_C
-23rd April 2007, 16:12
now I've got to do lots of post-competition washing up.

http://www.gwentswordclub.co.uk/temp/scores.jpg

awww lol!!!

Owen - yeah quite agree - i got home and thought, oh crap i was gonna get a Brains-downing competition going, but i got drunk and forgot lol...

Oh and if you bump into Steve Concannon ask him if he likes brains lol

Edit: and the MS was really close between all teams. I think both eng and Wales lost to the Scots by 2 hits, and we only just beat ireland by 4 hits ... great competition:)

Nick_C
-23rd April 2007, 16:14
oh and next year... i propose hmmmm England... Where's good to go out in? Brum? Newcastle? Bristol? London's a bit expensive...

madfencer
-23rd April 2007, 17:07
Nooooo make it England in Newcastle in 2009 because i'll be there then (hopefully)! :nanananan

fencingmum
-23rd April 2007, 19:04
I'm glad everyone had a good time.

Spare a thought though for the Scottish girls whose car was broken into while they were having lunch in Cardiff on Sunday before heading for home!
Luckily the thieves didn't penetrate the boot which contained four lots of fencing equipment and the trophies, but they lost all sorts of things, including return train tickets to Scotland, and one of them lost all her revision notes for an exam tomorrow!
Good luck L., I'm sure you'll do fine.

Lenny
-23rd April 2007, 19:15
I'm glad everyone had a good time.

Spare a thought though for the Scottish girls whose car was broken into while they were having lunch in Cardiff on Sunday before heading for home!
Luckily the thieves didn't penetrate the boot which contained four lots of fencing equipment and the trophies, but they lost all sorts of things, including return train tickets to Scotland, and one of them lost all her revision notes for an exam tomorrow!
Good luck L., I'm sure you'll do fine.

Sorry to hear about that, perhaps it was a desperate student who thieved the notes, I believe the Medics had a rather important anatomy exam today...

Nick_C
-23rd April 2007, 21:40
oh no, that's terrible!! :(

madfencer
-23rd April 2007, 23:00
I heard about this from the wonderful world of facebook but didn't know anything was stolen. The poor girls...that really is terrible. Hope that girl revised enough to have finished with the notes!

D'Artignan
-30th April 2007, 13:33
Any decision as to where next years installment will be? Somewhere cheaper would be nice. I'm a poor student and can't really afford to spend the best part of 4 quid on a pint. One of the pubs near me does the same stuff for half that....:cool:

PM1
-4th May 2007, 12:05
Any decision as to where next years installment will be? Somewhere cheaper would be nice. I'm a poor student and can't really afford to spend the best part of 4 quid on a pint. One of the pubs near me does the same stuff for half that....:cool:

Now, to ME....that sounds like an offer to organise.......:whistle: :D

D'Artignan
-4th May 2007, 14:28
Now, to ME....that sounds like an offer to organise.......:whistle: :D
I never said it was a place that people would actually want to go to.:eek:

gbm
-5th May 2007, 19:31
Somebody needs to say 'We will host it!'.

O*N
-5th May 2007, 23:39
My vote would be for Edinburgh since it is a city that would be pleastent to visit - with the alternatives being Belfast or any city in England.

Then again, while being the founder of the event I shall have no further part in it ever again.

:party:

twohappyhippos
-6th May 2007, 11:38
We'll host it. On the facebook group I offered Edinburgh as a next host. What do people think? Yai or nai?

gbm
-6th May 2007, 14:23
Yai!

canco
-10th May 2007, 12:29
sounds like a plan!