PDA

View Full Version : The Nottingham

Aoife
-9th November 2006, 15:25
Who's going then? Our Sportfed want the money in this week, so I'm putting myself down. I'll be the one asleep in the corner for most of it :sleep:

Hope to see some of you there.

(Yay, I've wanted to go to the Nottingham since I was about 16 :mexwave: )

Kepster
-9th November 2006, 15:28
If that means the BUSA Individuals, then I'll be there along with whoever else I can drag down from Lancaster!

Jules
-10th November 2006, 08:44
I'll be there :) (don't have any excuse really - it's about 10 minutes walk!)

Lee Spiers
-10th November 2006, 09:03
I shall be there as long as there is a KFC nearby......................... :whistle:

Maxim
-10th November 2006, 10:11
I'll be there, for the fifth and probably the last time.

Nick_C
-10th November 2006, 11:33
will be my fourth time :)
closing date is on the 16th Nov!

Red
-10th November 2006, 12:58
I'll be there. Foilists beware....

Bambi
-10th November 2006, 13:03
I'll be there, finally have a university minibus to drive the whole way down. Can't wait, its half the fun. Sadly this will be my 5th and final time :( .... unless i do a postgrad but doubt thats gonna happen, 5 years is more than enough!!

Gangsta G
-10th November 2006, 13:49
Looking forward to my first BUSA! May even poke around with an epee and foil...

silvercross
-10th November 2006, 14:26
I'll be there! Sadly, in my capacity as fan, possibly muttering about in the armoury helping out if need be :upset: .

Blasted 'year off'!!!! ...ranting

We've got a small group going from Liv. Uni.

Ah, the BUSAs. So much fun packed into a fencing tournament! :thumbs_up

Tarmac
-11th November 2006, 23:50
I will be there! (That's the Nottingham Open and the BUSA individuals)

silvercross
-13th November 2006, 15:01
I will be there! (That's the Nottingham Open and the BUSA individuals)

What number BUSA is it for you, Tarmac?

Nick_C
-13th November 2006, 15:10
I'll be there! Sadly, in my capacity as fan, possibly muttering about in the armoury helping out if need be :upset: .

Blasted 'year off'!!!! ...ranting

i think you can still fence if you're on a placement year

Tarmac
-14th November 2006, 07:43
What number BUSA is it for you, Tarmac?

Number 1.... :rolling:
don't ya just hate mature students?

silvercross
-14th November 2006, 16:10
I actually have no idea what I am, to be honest. If the Gods of Fencing (Moe, Larry, and Fechey) and the uni let me, then I'll give it a bash!

And no, I don't hate mature students...we make the competition interesting! :nanananan

Thermal
-14th November 2006, 16:32
I'll be the only person going form my uni! First time to BUSA and I've no idea of how I'm getting down or where I'm staying! :rolleyes: At least I have the week leading up to it off (assessment week).

silvercross
-14th November 2006, 16:39
Travelling from Manchester isn't that bad. Best to stay close to the Uni if you're doing more than one weapon. You'll have a blast on the sunday watching epeeists beat drunken sabreurs with point attacks :grin: . (except the really serious ones who do not touch alcohol for the whole weekend).

Thermal
-14th November 2006, 16:44
I'm at Bolton uni rather than Manchester (my club), but it only means one more train.

I guess I'll get time to catch up with a few fencers while in nottingham. I'll be having much fun seeing which is my better weapon atm (doing all three, thanks to the union having money to throw away!).

Saxon
-14th November 2006, 17:47
(except the really serious ones who do not touch alcohol for the whole weekend).

Sabreurs without alcohol?

What ARE they teaching these kids??

Lenny
-14th November 2006, 20:06
I'll be there for the whole weekend, only fencing on the Sunday though, but I will be available in a mercenary capacity as extra support for anyone who wants to be cheered on. I'm sure Cardiff won't mind, it is an individuals comp after all.

gbm
-14th November 2006, 20:20
Last year we went round (after the competition) with the lone Exeter fencer, so all odd fencers welcome to join us... although we ended up in Nottingham Uni's student bar of all places!

(PS - who are you Lenny? :grin: I've got a guess, but... )

Lenny
-14th November 2006, 20:27
Heehee, it's Mo, did you guess right?

Kepster
-14th November 2006, 21:51
Travelling from Manchester isn't that bad. Best to stay close to the Uni if you're doing more than one weapon. You'll have a blast on the sunday watching epeeists beat drunken sabreurs with point attacks :grin: . (except the really serious ones who do not touch alcohol for the whole weekend).

There's even the comedy value of me picking up a sabre in anger for the first time ever. You never know, maybe the short leftie epeeist randomly slashing around might confuse some of the sabreurs...

Thermal
-14th November 2006, 22:45
(except the really serious ones who do not touch alcohol for the whole weekend).

Hey I only attack the alcohol when I've finished (like when we'd finished at the Manchester cadet and went for the traditional curry + booze [although I was only doing the photography]).

Kian (purple) does act *very* funnily when drinking after fencing :grin:

Gangsta G
-14th November 2006, 23:38
but I will be available in a mercenary capacity as extra support for anyone who wants to be cheered on. Yes please! Will try to return the favour :grin:

silvercross
-15th November 2006, 10:17
I remember two years ago being ar the Irish watchin a gaggle of fencers, pissed as only fencers know how to :rolling: dancing wildly (I was only half drunk ,sadly :upset: ), whilst a small group of fencers sat with cokes and water glasses in hand. I only thought to myself 'The dedication of these lads!':not_worth , and then watched as drunken sabreurs ran rampant the following day...

Lenny
-15th November 2006, 20:18
Yes please! Will try to return the favour :grin:

I only meant the Friday and Saturday, perhaps I can take some time out of my extra super important foil bouts to support you though!

Gangsta G
-15th November 2006, 20:40
I only meant the Friday and Saturday, perhaps I can take some time out of my extra super important foil bouts to support you though!For some unkown reason I shall be doing all 3 weapons so you can laugh at my attempts at poking if you like!

Lenny
-15th November 2006, 20:46
hehe, poking fun at people's poor attempts at foil is what i'm good at! *cackle cackle* As for epee I'll keep my mouth shut as I'm about as clueless as you are, probably more so!

Gangsta G
-15th November 2006, 20:51
hehe, poking fun at people's poor attempts at foil is what i'm good at! *cackle cackle* As for epee I'll keep my mouth shut as I'm about as clueless as you are, probably more so!Well I have fairly high hopes for my pokey sticks. Thornton, Kenber and co had better watch out!

UglyBug
-15th November 2006, 21:47
Well I have fairly high hopes for my pokey sticks. Thornton, Kenber and co had better watch out!

I'm sure they're either a) shaking in their boots or b) thinking about what they're going to do to you in the slashy event on the Sunday!!

Russell1985
-19th November 2006, 22:39
I'm in for Foil and (hangs head in shame).... Sabre. My wallet is still aching from the entry fee though. As to drinking - its not been a good BUSA comp useless your in a drunken stupor for the first poule!

Skippy
-19th November 2006, 23:12
Regrettably I won't be there, thanks to some sodding final year "multi-disciplinary* design project" (a.k.a waste of time, energy, life-force, and hope) that they've got us to do in our final year... :mad:

HEALTH WARNING: Group work can only send your degree one way: :flush:

(* "multi-disciplinary" must some some kind of academic joke - you'd only have to meet the other people in our group to find out why... :chair: ....)

Taero
-21st November 2006, 00:24
Well I would have loved to go unfortunately I simply don't have the money :'( would have to get transport down, get a license, enter two weapons, pay accomodation, food, alcohol :'( Perhaps next year would be easier...

However we do have a good team going down (Hull University) so prepare yourselves ;)

Aoife
-21st November 2006, 00:41
simply don't have the money :'( would have to get transport down, get a license, enter two weapons, pay accomodation, food, alcohol

Isn't that what the Union is for? ;) I think they're paying a fair bit of our costs (accomodation and stuff).

I'm not sure how many of us are going in total... five or six.. or seven. Not sure at all actually.

Oh well, see you all there :grin:

(I'm far too excited already :mexwave: )

SinOfTheFleche
-21st November 2006, 00:53
get transport down, get a license, enter two weapons, pay accomodation, food, alcohol

Transport shouldn't be a huge problem if you already have people going, and why aren't transport costs being paid by the union?
Entry, Accomodation - Why isn't your union subsidising this?
That leaves BFA, food and alcohol... Costs are already much lower :)

Kepster
-21st November 2006, 10:58
Isn't that what the Union is for? ;) I think they're paying a fair bit of our costs (accomodation and stuff).

All you lot who get it paid for don't know how lucky you are - as none of us lot have a realistic chance of getting any BUSA points for the Uni, we've gotta pay for it ourselves!

silvercross
-21st November 2006, 11:13
That should be no reason why your uni should refuse to pay to send you. You are, after all REPRESENTATIVES of your university in this sports event.

I would suggest boycotting this by fencing in the nude (with the exception of a mask and a box. Safety first, after all), with your back and chest bearing 'My university is too cheap to subsidise me' painted in your university colours. Do remember to put the university name as well, so the university is well and truly embarassed by the actions and learns to subsidise its athletes! :)

(disclaimer: any person who is actually insane enough to follow this advise does so at the risk of being REALLY cold at the sports hall, and places no blame on me for receiving any lewd comments from any individual or organization, or being suspended by BUSA, his/her University. He/She also runs the risk of being filmed by the endless number of mobile phones, and ending in a slew of webpages. So try to look pretty :nanananan )

Phoenix
-21st November 2006, 11:49
You must make sure that your skin is FIE regulation, of course. You must also make sure that any tattoos are regulation dimensions and are approved by the judges before competition. On a practical note, where does one hook up to the spool?

Anyway, a contingent of us are coming from Glasgow Uni for the first time ever. I say contingent because it sounds more impressive than five.

Our Sports Association have granted us travel expenses and entry fees but nothing else. Considering that it was two years ago that anyone from Glasgow went I'm surprised they gave us it!

Red
-21st November 2006, 12:12
We're a LOT closer than Glasgow or Lancaster, so accomodation isn't an issue, but transport costs are covered and we get reimbursed half the entry fee.

Jules
-21st November 2006, 14:01
Our union subsides entry fees up to £350 so if less than 19 people enter we all go free - true this year *yay* I think they'd subsidise transport/accom but obviously I didn't have to look into that...

Personally, having nearly broken my ankle at the weekend and spending my first day off of crutches I'm just glad that I might be able to fence at all!

silvercross
-21st November 2006, 14:12
Tatoos must not bear resemblance to any official sponsors, and if so, must not be larger than three inches by three inches. Don't want any nude tatooed fencers running around with a giant ADIDAS logo somewhere in their likeness...:grin:

Our AU covered transportation, registration, and some accommodations (provided no one stays at the Marriott or Hilton), so we can't complain (except they always ask for Railcard tickets as opposed to regular ones...)

Thermal
-21st November 2006, 16:02
right now I'm stressing because I have to get myself there, back, kitted (thank gods for club mates!), accommodation, food and travelo while down there!

Anyone fancy helping out?

silvercross
-21st November 2006, 16:07
Have you tried asking the lads (and Ladies) over at Manchester Uni? They usually travel in relatively large groups, and quite a few of them would go to Manchester Fencing Club, I'd figure.

You the only one from Bolton Uni going?

silvercross
-21st November 2006, 16:08
I would offer help, but taking the train to and from meself and about three others on the friday night.

Thermal
-21st November 2006, 16:09
I'm the only fencer I know of at Bolton uni. Noone else is going.

I'll see if Steve is going (manchester FC), but I don't know anyone else that's at Manchester uni that goes to club, Nick has graduated.

Jules
-21st November 2006, 17:41
If it's cheap accomodation you're after we usually suggest The Igloo: http://www.igloohostel.co.uk/home/index.html

It's in the city which would be good for night(s) out but you'd need to get the bus in to uni which takes about 10/15 mins

Nick_C
-21st November 2006, 18:14
I'm the only fencer I know of at Bolton uni. Noone else is going.

I'll see if Steve is going (manchester FC), but I don't know anyone else that's at Manchester uni that goes to club, Nick has graduated.

is that welsh steve?? (tarling?? possibly)

I think my place(s) is/are booked for cardiff uni ppl

Twoswords
-21st November 2006, 18:31
I've organised a couple of excursions for the Individuals before now but this is the first one I've gotten to go to! I'm dragging a whole gang of fencers from Swansea but it seems I'm the only one foolish enough to attempt two weapons, foil and sabre. Lovely.

Au is covering us for transport and accomodation for the weekend but that still leaves the problem of finding drivers from those who are going who won't kill us all before we get there. Which could be trickier than getting the money out of the AU in the firstplace.

I'm sure at some point someone is going to bring me a weapon 5 minutes before a bout that will need fixing though...

Illandra
-21st November 2006, 21:24
Drivers will be fine as long as that experiment with the one way street isnt repeated (or at least not in the car im in, nervous breakdown isnt great before a bout).

We'll try not to break anything expensive, promise:chair:

:seesaw:

Gangsta G
-21st November 2006, 22:40
AU covers entry fee (unless you enter and then don't fence) but not sure about transport costs. Accomodation obviously not an issue.

Thermal
-22nd November 2006, 14:15
is that welsh steve?? (tarling?? possibly)

That's Steve "I can't remember the surname of" Steve... :whistle: All I can tell you is that he's a foilist and I've gone for curry with him before now.... :o: Ohh and I think he normally wears a red lame.

Nick_C
-22nd November 2006, 19:03
yep, red lamé... that'll be the one ;)

Russell1985
-22nd November 2006, 22:43
I think my place(s) is/are booked for cardiff uni ppl

Score! :) Nothing quite like kipping on the floor to get u in the mood for sabre! Cheers Nick :p

Nick_C
-23rd November 2006, 00:00
no probs dude. Let me know how many, and i'll try to squeeze u guys in... maybe even with matresses, if ya feelin lucky ;)

Caithdein
-25th November 2006, 17:59
As a special request can you all refrain from mobbing the guy sticking the results up?

Its bad enough at the junior competitions but I'm sure most of you lot will be bigger than me!

Not looking forward to being swamped by 150 people when I put the results up....

gbm
-26th November 2006, 09:19
Put up multiple copies in different locations. Then, just before you put up the results in one place, create a diversion by announcing the results are just going up in one of the other locations. :whistle: Then when everybody realises where the results are, you are free to put up results in the other places ;)

Nick_C
-27th November 2006, 10:31
Or, taking ino consideration the fact that the results always go up on that board by DT, you might consider using two DT people acting as 'bouncers' to hold ppl back (as it were ;)) - this would work since there is only one access point to the boards. :)

Gangsta G
-27th November 2006, 14:22
Put up multiple copies in different locations. Why competition organisers do not do this is beyond me!

pinkelephant
-27th November 2006, 14:38
Some of us do!

Gangsta G
-27th November 2006, 18:12
Some of us do! True. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one competition (Cornwall Pro Sabre) that posted more than 1 sheet of pools/results etc. I am sure there are others, but they're certainly in the minority!

Caithdein
-27th November 2006, 18:48
Wow I started something there.

Multiple copies is a possibility - means I'll be running about more though - and there isn't usually lots of people in DT for one of us to be away if results need to be input for multi weapon competitions etc.

DT bouncers - see above

The other problem with multiple locations for results is sometimes there arent multiple locations to stick them! Also costs of paper, ink etc. not hugely expensive I grant you but they all add up.

pinkelephant
-27th November 2006, 20:41
True. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one competition (Cornwall Pro Sabre) that posted more than 1 sheet of pools/results etc. I am sure there are others, but they're certainly in the minority!

BYCs & Bill Hoskyns. We put 3 copies of most things up, but drop back to 2 or 1 as numbers dwindle towards the end.

Gangsta G
-27th November 2006, 23:28
BYCs & Bill Hoskyns. We put 3 copies of most things up, but drop back to 2 or 1 as numbers dwindle towards the end.Yes, I thought I to remembered that BYCs do. Obviously as organiser of the BYCs I presumed this was the comp you referred to originally! Being a sabreur, I am yet to frequent the Bill Hoskyns.

gbm
-28th November 2006, 00:39
It's not just how many copies you put up, but also WHAT you put up. If you put up the Fencers, Poules and Pistes sheets (which does require you to allocate poules to pistes), then fencers can find their poules by their names in alphabetical order, which is better than when their are twenty-odd poules printed and fencers have to search through every one to find their name.

A lot of opens seem to struggle a bit with the communication.

Pinkelephant is good at this :)

And as for the BUSAs, at the top of a flight of stairs right next to the DT's desk is probably not the best place. Possible locations:
* In the foyer (have to think about flow of traffic through it though)
* In the corridors downstairs (probably not ideal as the corridors are narrow if I remember correctly).
* Somewhere in the hall(s) if there is no other room - sacrificing a piste somewhere would give you >14m of wall space even if the rest of the hall is packed.

UglyBug
-28th November 2006, 10:43
As a special request can you all refrain from mobbing the guy sticking the results up?

Its bad enough at the junior competitions but I'm sure most of you lot will be bigger than me!

Not looking forward to being swamped by 150 people when I put the results up....

150 smelly students.... ewwwwww

silvercross
-28th November 2006, 10:59
I think the results posted by the main desk upstairs should be kept, if only for those of us who lazy about during the day.

Putting one list of results/poules in each hall and on opposite ends of the halls (so as not to get two large crowds at the entrance of the connecting hallway on either end) should solve the problem. If the results get posted when there are no matches going on (during breaks) then there is no need to worry about the pistes.

Nick_C
-28th November 2006, 12:18
anyone ever thought of gettin a massive projector and projecting onto a gym wall?

Jules
-28th November 2006, 14:10
nice idea until the projector ends up in the middle of a piste, people walk in front of it (both in front of the lens and in front of the projection) or it does a disappearing act at the end of the day...

silvercross
-28th November 2006, 14:17
It is still a sound idea. I remember the organizers from the Glasgow Open do it last year, and it was quite a goo way of keeping a swarm of people from congesting the place. Maybe if it's kept upstairs, and beamed into the smaller hall (since the distance to the wall from the balcony is much smaller)? Reckon the letter would be big enough to be seen by just about anyone. Plus the projector remains away from the main fencing event, so it can, in theory, remain in safe hands all day.

silvercross
-28th November 2006, 14:20
In a slightly unrelated note, the BUSA website has just been 'revamped'

Nick_C
-28th November 2006, 14:56
nice idea until the projector ends up in the middle of a piste, people walk in front of it (both in front of the lens and in front of the projection) or it does a disappearing act at the end of the day...

i know, but u could have it on the interstitial balcony within the busa hall projecting onto the wall some 15 feet over the ground

SC: it has indeed, and the BUSA individs entries are supposed to be in the weekly mailout today :D

Maxim
-28th November 2006, 16:25
The entries and the pre-event information is now on the busa website. http://www.busa.org.uk/mailout.asp?section=0001000100020005&itemTitle=Weekly+Mailout

Nick_C
-28th November 2006, 16:39
gah - you beat me to it by just a few seconds! lol

Kepster
-28th November 2006, 20:59
If you put up the Fencers, Poules and Pistes sheets (which does require you to allocate poules to pistes), then fencers can find their poules by their names in alphabetical order, which is better than when their are twenty-odd poules printed and fencers have to search through every one to find their name.

This in particular would be a good idea for the BUSAs - the PA system at Nottingham is hardly the best, & with 150odd bleary eyed students trying to figure out what's going on it can be a little tricky to figure out where you're supposed to be.

pinkelephant
-28th November 2006, 21:32
The entries and the pre-event information is now on the busa website. http://www.busa.org.uk/mailout.asp?section=0001000100020005&itemTitle=Weekly+Mailout

There are some interesting mis-spellings; Ollie Campion-Awaad's is hilarious.

Emma T
-28th November 2006, 22:25
He he! That made me smile a lot when I found it!

Gangsta G
-28th November 2006, 22:38
I have a different sirname for each weapon!

Australian
-29th November 2006, 07:20
I'll be there with the suit on. Looking forward to it.

silvercross
-30th November 2006, 11:13
Hmmm, noticed a distinct lack of 'heavyweights' from MS and WS...

Graduations, or is this the continuing trend of Sabreurs not attending opens this season?

P.S. yes, AO'c is on the list. But there were a couple of high ranking names in last year's BUSA's that didn't show.

ME on the other hand looks really good!

Maxim
-30th November 2006, 11:18
Hmmm, noticed a distinct lack of 'heavyweights' from MS and WS...

Graduations, or is this the continuing trend of Sabreurs not attending opens this season?

P.S. yes, AO'c is on the list. But there were a couple of high ranking names in last year's BUSA's that didn't show.

ME on the other hand looks really good!

The clash woth 2012 scheme trials might be an explanation for the absence of a few top fencers.

Nick_C
-30th November 2006, 11:25
like who in MS? i think they've just graduated

silvercross
-30th November 2006, 11:32
I thought Moncrieff was still in Uni, as was Nelis, Hutchinson, Brenda (the Durham Uni one).

Nick_C
-30th November 2006, 12:02
think hutch and jules nelis have graduated. Not sure bout HM or RB - possibly injury, or other committments?

silvercross
-30th November 2006, 14:17
Could be.

Last year there were some absences due to injury and other committments (what?! Something more important than BUSA?! The mind boggles :)).

For some strange reason, after looking at all the entries, it seems a much more 'accesible' range for all weapons. Though mind you, at the BUSAS nothing quite goes the way you'd expect...:rolling:

fencingmum
-30th November 2006, 15:30
Is the entry list up to date? There seem to be some glaring omissions on the one I'm opening.

Maxim
-30th November 2006, 15:54
Is the entry list up to date? There seem to be some glaring omissions on the one I'm opening.

Normally this would be the final entry list as they only publish it after the deadline (unless some mistakes have been made)

PM1
-30th November 2006, 21:38
I can't open any of the files ...ranting Boy said he was only doing epee...hope his name is on there......

Nick_C
-30th November 2006, 22:50
nothing wrong with our entries, at least with the BUSA end...

What university is "Camridge" though ;)

TLove
-30th November 2006, 23:30
Meh, one of our fencers has inherited the surname from another...

fencingmum
-1st December 2006, 06:26
OOps, my mistake - just worked out what I was doing wrong - all present and correct!

Nick_C
-1st December 2006, 13:25
can we change the name of this thread? lol. driving me mad!!

silvercross
-2nd December 2006, 12:56
Who handles changing the name? is it the person who created it?

TLove
-2nd December 2006, 13:55
Depends on forum permissions. Could be admins only.

Australian
-3rd December 2006, 20:29
can we change the name of this thread? lol. driving me mad!!

Maybe just start a new thread mate? This one is kind of huge.

Nick_C
-3rd December 2006, 23:28
probably a good idea!

*acts upon suggestion*