PDA

View Full Version : Change the name

Foilling Around
-19th November 2006, 18:58
I think the series should be changed to be called the Leon Paul Yoith Series.

Reason: Junior has a specific meaning in Fencing ie Under 20.

Touché Turtle
-19th November 2006, 19:29
I voted yes for a change. I think it is a good suggestion to avoid possible confusion. Of course all the people involved at LP have the final say, but I don't see why they should object as long as the 'Leon Paul' bit remains. :)

Although it would mean reprinting of certificates / other documentation and possible re-engraving of medals if things are organised that far in advance!

Foilling Around
-19th November 2006, 19:34
Naturally I don't mean from January, it would be far too short notice. I would suggest from January 2008.

Touché Turtle
-19th November 2006, 19:39
Naturally I don't mean from January, it would be far too short notice. I would suggest from January 2008.
I guessed what you meant really - just being awkward 'cause I could! (I've spent all day being nice to the in-laws - something had to give somewhere! :tongue: )
Seriously, I think it is a sensible suggestion which should be easy enough to set in action.

Louis CB
-19th November 2006, 19:53
No - makes it harder to pronounce (LPYS?).

Foilling Around
-19th November 2006, 20:20
No - makes it harder to pronounce (LPYS?).

How on earth is LPYS more difficult to say than LPJS. It's just a case of what you are used to.

Andy W.
-19th November 2006, 20:52
Shouldn't it be 'Yoof' Series to ensure more interest from TV
?

archer
-19th November 2006, 21:38
In my day a 'Youth' was someone older than 16 but younger than 21. I would not be inclined to call someone competing in the under 9 and 11s a youth. Junior sums up the competition perfectly.

Archer

madfencer
-19th November 2006, 21:57
It should be changed to Leon Paul Youth Series IMHO as Cadets can compete in the Series not just Juniors and this could be misleading. There would be have to be a lot of publicity about the change though otherwise people could think that they were two different things and that a new series had been started up!

Gangsta G
-19th November 2006, 23:02
It does seem to make sense! Especially for parents such as mine who get confused by everything!

Baldric
-19th November 2006, 23:21
I also voted yes.

There are enough things in the sport to trip up the un-wary parent, without having unnecessary things like confusion over the definitions.

We also have the precedent within the sport of the British YOUTH Championships - a generic term that just means the competitors are children.

rugmike
-4th December 2006, 14:26
Just a thought in line with above.
When writing reports, I have been known ('speshly for U-11's, etc..) to speak of the 'National' Leon Paul ..........Series. It tends to get a more prominent space - and, it's true !
Junior/Youth/ Young/ don't think it matters much - if you fence/support you know what it means, if you don't you'll learn.
But I voted no - historic /sentimental I suppose !

Firthy
-5th December 2006, 19:49
I voted no. In scotland there is the Allstar Youth Series as well as a Leon Paul Junior Series Event and if they were both called Youth then that could get confusing.

wingnutLP
-6th December 2006, 13:22
LPYS definately doesn't have the same ring as LPJS as far as I am concerned. I don't think that is just because we are all used to the LPJS. I will ask a few non fencers if they prefer the sound of LPYS or LPJS...

The odds of changing are slim I fear. There would be a lot to change in terms of prizes, medals, booklets, literature, websites etc.... I have not yet heard of anyone getting it wrong and not entering a comp they could have done or similar.

Also it sounds silly (in fact it is silly) but I don't much want to seem like I am falling into line with Allstars youth series when the LPJS has been around for 20 years!

BigPappaBear
-6th December 2006, 22:31
We have Yorkshire Youth League... but the alliteration goes well with that... not voted yet but mainly cos i'm unsure...

Think I prefer the sound of junior rather than youth... though.

kingkenny
-7th December 2006, 08:54
I wanted to change it 3 years ago, but now I have changed my mind as "youth" and "youths" make me think of kids in hoods.

I think junior is better for U9 to U13 and youth is better for U15 and U17s who dont want to be thought of as Juniors.

pinkelephant
-7th December 2006, 09:05
youth is better for U15 and U17s who dont want to be thought of as Juniors.

They prefer "men" - the dears.

Touché Turtle
-7th December 2006, 09:09
To be honest, the word 'junior' does conjure up an image of small children, ages up to about 12. Think of 'junior school'. In reality the word fits well with the idea of LPJS being for younger children. it should, really, be the official juniors - those aged 17 - 20 who should be renamed.
A 19 year old referred to as a junior does seem a bit silly!

doobarz
-7th December 2006, 09:43
I work for the Youth Service where I live, and we deal mainly with 13-19 year olds. Under that we tend to call the wee 'uns children. As the series covers such a wide age range is tricky - I'd keep it how it is to be honest.h

pinkelephant
-7th December 2006, 10:31
To be honest, the word 'junior' does conjure up an image of small children, ages up to about 12. Think of 'junior school'. In reality the word fits well with the idea of LPJS being for younger children. it should, really, be the official juniors - those aged 17 - 20 who should be renamed.
A 19 year old referred to as a junior does seem a bit silly!

The term Junior is set by the FIE, as is Cadet.

Touché Turtle
-7th December 2006, 20:16
yes, I realise that, I wasn't actually suggesting that we could call juniors something else, just commenting on the humourous situation of calling a strapping 19 year old man a 'junior'! :whistle: