PDA

View Full Version : Cadets and Juniors 2008

Foilling Around
-19th November 2006, 21:55
Just seen this on the FIE Website dated 10 November. It doesn't give federations long to respond.

Ladies and Gentlemen Presidents,
Call for candidatures
The Egyptian Fencing Federation, which was the unique candidate for
the organisation of the 2008 Junior/Cadet World championships, has
just informed us that it has to give up this organisation of these World
Championships for financial reasons.
Consequently, the national federations which are interested in the
organization of the 2008 Junior/Cadet World championships are kindly
requested to send us their candidature by the end of November 2006.

Any chance we can do it. - In Sheffield by any chance!!

PM1
-19th November 2006, 23:32
Now there's a thought.....!!!:thumbs_up

rugmike
-20th November 2006, 10:33
Well, looks like Someone has succeeded - but am surprised the Junior goes as well, I thought that was "approved" of.

It is obviously strange that the world-wide governing body doesn't see this development as a disaster , that needs the utmost effort and (financial & otherwise) assistance, in order that young fencers have the ultimate to aim for, and the sport's youth side has a global showcase like every other sport that takes itself seriously.

Etc..

Oh, forgot, we need to get rid of it, don't we.

Will the world-wide governing body be taking any interest in any possible "new" European Championships, I wonder, or will they be too busy having lunch ?

Honestly, it is pathetic - and inexplicable. Forget the $ , if there was a will, and an interest in the development of the sport, Egypt would be having flying visits by high-ranking officials (who might even use their contacts in the business world to provide a life-line.) eager to help.
Oh, and they might have also given any "saviours" more than a few week's to sort something out. AND I can't help wondering how long Someone has known this was in the offing.

So, wot's Sheffield like, then?! Or perhaps the Stade Francaise in the open in high summer ? Glastonbury ? Bath?

free spirit
-20th November 2006, 12:38
Hear, Hear
I hear the venue in Sheffield is a good one.
On the other hand, Bath has proven to be able to do pretty well organizing Fencing World Championships.
Added bonus: possibility of young non qualifying fencers to learn by watching without having to spend lots of parent's money travelling abroad yet again!

SinOfTheFleche
-21st November 2006, 02:04
Fantastic suggestion Paul. Does BF have the desire though?
Not that hosting such a thing would have any potential media benefit :(

Lucan
-21st November 2006, 09:53
What are the figures behind the Junior/Cadet World championships?
Bed nights, spectators, pistes. competitors?

Neil Brown
-21st November 2006, 10:09
Have a look at the bid documents at http://www.fie.ch/Fencing/Charges.aspx

SinOfTheFleche
-21st November 2006, 10:45
I noticed that near the bottom it asks about TV coverage... :(

free spirit
-21st November 2006, 11:00
Well, here goes a wild card:
SUrely amongst the coaches, fencers and their parents, sponsors, etc, surely somebody must have a way to get R Bransons or R Murdoch interested to bid for the TV coverage of such event?
You don't ask, you don't get.
Of course, this is if all the organizing bodies were to do the necessary to comply with the all other requirements before the deadlline.

Keith.A.Smith
-22nd November 2006, 20:55
Dear All,

You will remember I was the one hand raised at the FIE Congress in Doha that prevented a vote to ablosh the cadets then.

I think that this is a genuine financial crisis for the Egytptian Fencing Federation.

I have contacted UK Sport to see if they would provide funding which would need to be at least 200,000. No reply as yet.

I thinkit woud be a real pity if the World Cadets is abandoned but many countries disagree.

This year there will be a European Cadet Championships from 7th to 1th March and only just announced. The FIE idea is the have European etc CHampionships at Cadet level and Junior Championships at Junior and Senior level.

Keith

Foilling Around
-22nd November 2006, 21:16
I am delighted Keith that you are being proactive in this regard. It would be a great coup to have the event in the UK. I am sure that we coald run a great event. I had a small part in the World Strudent Games in Sheffield and that was superbly run.

There is an inherent problem with the World Cadets that there is no ranking system for Cadets. Using the World Junior rankings is unsatisfactory in many ways.

It would be possible to put together a European Cadet rankings system which would provide a good structure for a European Cadet Championships. I like the Idea of having a European Cadet Team event alongside the individual.

free spirit
-22nd November 2006, 22:10
Dear All,

You will remember I was the one hand raised at the FIE Congress in Doha that prevented a vote to ablosh the cadets then.

I think that this is a genuine financial crisis for the Egytptian Fencing Federation.

I have contacted UK Sport to see if they would provide funding which would need to be at least 200,000. No reply as yet.

I thinkit woud be a real pity if the World Cadets is abandoned but many countries disagree.

This year there will be a European Cadet Championships from 7th to 1th March and only just announced. The FIE idea is the have European etc CHampionships at Cadet level and Junior Championships at Junior and Senior level.

Keith

Although still learning the ropes, I have learnt that you have been supporting the cause and as a fencer and a fencer's parent I am grateful for your active involvement.
I am also aware of the uphill struggle that it can be to get things in motion so I will be following this thread closely hoping the establishment reacts promptly and positively.
All 4 1 as they say.

Gangsta G
-22nd November 2006, 22:22
There is an inherent problem with the World Cadets that there is no ranking system for Cadets. Surely the most sensible thing would be for the FIE to use events such as Godollo, Kenten etc as world cadet ranking events?

I think it would be a tragedy if the Cadet Worlds were to cease to exist. For some fencers, it is the pinnacle of their fencing career, and also provides something for younger fencers to aim for.

I do hope that UK Sport support Keith in his attempt to host the 2008 worlds. It can only be good for fencing in GB, especially in the run up to 2012.

free spirit
-29th November 2006, 16:58
Surely the most sensible thing would be for the FIE to use events such as Godollo, Kenten etc as world cadet ranking events?

I think it would be a tragedy if the Cadet Worlds were to cease to exist. For some fencers, it is the pinnacle of their fencing career, and also provides something for younger fencers to aim for.

I do hope that UK Sport support Keith in his attempt to host the 2008 worlds. It can only be good for fencing in GB, especially in the run up to 2012.

This thread has gone rather quiet and it is nov 29th. any news?

husy
-9th December 2006, 08:33
I haven't heard any thing yet. Maybe someone should PM Keith.A.Smith.

Red
-23rd December 2006, 03:18
Any news on this, or did it stop being a problem all of a sudden?

free spirit
-30th December 2006, 17:52
Any news on this, or did it stop being a problem all of a sudden?

Hi there,
It's nearly the end of the X'mas season. Could someone please tackle this? Could it be that no news in this case might not be good news for the event to continue AND to take place in the UK in 2008?
Would be nice to have the official version so far though.

husy
-31st December 2006, 21:36
I'm posting this 1:30 before the new year starts. which means we need a answer in 1:30 or we can't host the event :eek: . Try to P.M. keith.

pinkelephant
-31st December 2006, 22:34
I'm posting this 1:30 before the new year starts. which means we need a answer in 1:30 or we can't host the event :eek: . Try to P.M. keith.

I'm sure he'll appreciate that.:rolleyes:

Keith.A.Smith
-1st January 2007, 11:53
Dear All,

I have contacted the FIE and there are about 5 possible candidatures for 2008. The FIE COMEX will be examining them in February at their meeting.

I have also been looking into our hosting it in 2009 but we will need to look at this. The real problem is getting finance as you would need a bare minimum of 250,000 to run this event and quite probably more. I have ben ytalking to UK Sport etc but if we do this we want to do it very well.

I am quietly confident that the event will take place in 2008 but whether iot will be in the UK or elsewhere will depend on the FIE amongst other considerations.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Keith

husy
-1st January 2007, 15:20
We could start a small fund raising appeal in competitions.