PDA

View Full Version : Jesi U20 WF A Grade

Foilling Around
-25th November 2006, 17:07
The girls are over there now. Does anyone have any news or know where I could find the results before they appear on the FIE website.

Boo Boo
-25th November 2006, 19:35
You have probably seen it already - http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=563C176ECB909A0675719CAE91515 126

74 entries:
42nd Lisa McKenzie
60th Philippa Mullins
67th Lara Kerrison
69th Sophie Troiano
70th Tegan Hill
74th Eleonora Ponzoni

Was this a nominated A-grade? Am just a little suprised that only 6 went (or have I miscounted?)...

Boo

Foilling Around
-25th November 2006, 20:15
Well done to Lisa making the cut, sorry it wasn't top 50%. Suprised Eli was last possible injury?

No Boo you haven't miscounted. I thought Carolyn was meant to be going, but remember that a lot of our top juniors are out of commission.

Dom S, Laura D, Maisie J all ill or injured and Hannah B not wanting to compete abroad.

Not sure what has happened to Alicia and Amber, but all of the others are cadets and they are in the middle of the cadet season. Cost may very much be a factor. Certainly was for us, as well as the extra day off school. The cost/benefit of attending the nominated Junior A Grades for the Cadet age girls is not always obvious.

We do have a dearth of Junior age WF fencers who are not cadets.

Helen Mulrine
-26th November 2006, 09:36
No, no injury, and no excuses, just a stinker of a poule and a bad day, as she said, there's one positive thing about it, no other comps can go worse!!

Foilling Around
-26th November 2006, 11:06
No, no injury, and no excuses, just a stinker of a poule and a bad day, as she said, there's one positive thing about it, no other comps can go worse!!

"One bad day does not a bad fencer make" - she'll bounce back!

Nick_C
-26th November 2006, 16:31
Well done Tegan on her first A-grade!! :thumbs_up

Foilling Around
-26th November 2006, 16:58

Oh Dear , I missed that - yes well done.

grs
-26th November 2006, 17:15
Oh Dear , I missed that - yes well done.

Well done to all competitors. The results read as though it was a tough competition.

Despite the results I hope all enjoyed and will learn from the experience.

grs

angelo
-27th November 2006, 13:02

Well done to Nick for his positive and encouraging comment.

Well done to Helen Muldrine for her measured reponse to the contributions by Boo Boo and FA.

Well done to all the WF squad at Jesi. If the A Grade at Loures the previous weekend was at one end of a scale of difficulty, then the one at Jesi must certainly have been at the other end of the scale.
Surely all that is required when putting results on the forum is the link to the FIE website, then it is clear to everyone what individual fencers have achieved and the quality of the event. From the Jesi results it is obvous that there were no weak fencers in the competition and for the GB girls to win fights and score hits against the top fencers in the world is no mean achievement. This is the real world of WF and to compete with the best in the world at the top WF club in the world is surely worthwhile, regardless of ranking points or position.
After such a tough day, I'm sure the last thing Eli needed was her result being mentioned twice on the forum along with speculation about the reason for it.
Also the implication that those who went to Jesi were on the whole there by default as the best Juniors were either out of commission, or the Cadets who were not there, must have been pretty galling for the Jesi girls.They had no doubt made considerable efforts and sacrifices re their studies to compete in Italy.
So a few more sensitive, constructive and encouraging comments would have been nice.
Unless a more positive, even-handed attitude is demonstrated by those who feel qualified to comment, then WF could well see an even greater dearth of Junior, and eventually Senior, fencers competing internationally and we cannot afford to lose any more !

Boo Boo
-27th November 2006, 13:18
Well done to Helen Muldrine for her measured reponse to the contributions by Boo Boo and FA.

???

I only reported the results and asked why there were only 6 going... That is not a put down to ANYONE that was there.

In my opinion we want to send as MANY juniors are possible to nominated A-grades (that used to be 8, now I believe it is more - 12 possibly?). I was curious why there were only 6 going...

As you youself said, if we can't get the interest now... then that doesn't bode well for the future...

Boo

pinkelephant
-27th November 2006, 14:35
???

In my opinion we want to send as MANY juniors are possible to nominated A-grades (that used to be 8, now I believe it is more - 12 possibly?). I

Boo

We can now send up to 12, but we need 2 referees if more than 9 go, which bumps up the cost to the fencers. Most squads are therefore sending 9, but some are sending the full complement.

Foilling Around
-27th November 2006, 17:30
Angelo.

1) Obviously the Jesi girls are not there by default if we have not taken a full squad. They are there by right. John will only ask those with the qualities to go to such an event.

2) The other way of looking at my comment about Eli is that it was a compliment. I know she is a much better fencer that last place and was wondering if there was a reason.

Yes, this is the polar opposite to the Loures event. Witness the fact that Ester FODOR, silver medallist in Loures was 65th in Jesi.

This is, as you say the real world of Junior WF and it is the standard by which British fencing has to be judged. Every fencer competing will have done their best and can be proud of their efforts.

There are various ways to read things and assuming they are intended to be negative is not always a constructive one.

Blisanga
-27th November 2006, 20:40
Well done to Lisa making the cut, sorry it wasn't top 50%. Suprised Eli was last possible injury?

No Boo you haven't miscounted. I thought Carolyn was meant to be going, but remember that a lot of our top juniors are out of commission.

Dom S, Laura D, Maisie J all ill or injured and Hannah B not wanting to compete abroad.

Not sure what has happened to Alicia and Amber, but all of the others are cadets and they are in the middle of the cadet season. Cost may very much be a factor. Certainly was for us, as well as the extra day off school. The cost/benefit of attending the nominated Junior A Grades for the Cadet age girls is not always obvious.

Amber has an ankle injury from the europeans. She rolled over on it and dislocated it and tore the ligaments on the inner and outer part of her ankle. I think Alicia didn't attend because of University commitments.

Foilling Around
-27th November 2006, 20:48
Amber has an ankle injury from the europeans. She rolled over on it and dislocated it and tore the ligaments on the inner and outer part of her ankle. I think Alicia didn't attend because of University commitments.

Of course, I forgot about the ankle. Sounds really painful and I hope it gets better and as strong as before very soon.

AMC
-28th November 2006, 12:08

Amber injured at Europeans, and Alicia could not go because of UNI

Blisanga
-28th November 2006, 18:04
Reply to Foiling Around

Thank you for your concern. Was unfortunate about ankle but it is getting better which I am pleased about.

Baldric
-28th November 2006, 22:18
Well done to Nick for his positive and encouraging comment.

Well done to all the WF squad at Jesi. If the A Grade at Loures the previous weekend was at one end of a scale of difficulty, then the one at Jesi must certainly have been at the other end of the scale.
Surely all that is required when putting results on the forum is the link to the FIE website, then it is clear to everyone what individual fencers have achieved and the quality of the event. From the Jesi results it is obvous that there were no weak fencers in the competition and for the GB girls to win fights and score hits against the top fencers in the world is no mean achievement. This is the real world of WF and to compete with the best in the world at the top WF club in the world is surely worthwhile, regardless of ranking points or position.
After such a tough day, I'm sure the last thing Eli needed was her result being mentioned twice on the forum along with speculation about the reason for it.
Also the implication that those who went to Jesi were on the whole there by default as the best Juniors were either out of commission, or the Cadets who were not there, must have been pretty galling for the Jesi girls.They had no doubt made considerable efforts and sacrifices re their studies to compete in Italy.
So a few more sensitive, constructive and encouraging comments would have been nice.
Unless a more positive, even-handed attitude is demonstrated by those who feel qualified to comment, then WF could well see an even greater dearth of Junior, and eventually Senior, fencers competing internationally and we cannot afford to lose any more !

Angelo's post raises some interesting issues, and I decided to think about it for a while before responding.

I take it from Angelo's comments that (s)he feels that comments by other posters were unduly judgemental or negative by mentioning names, and reflecting on performance. Angelo goes on to suggest that such comments might provide a dis-incentive for fencers to continue participating.

I have some sympathy for this viewpoint. However, I can't help reflecting on the way that footballers, cricketers etc have their performance picked over in the press, usually to their disadvantage. I appreciate that such players are amply paid for their efforts, far more so than fencers. However, this is a quantative, rather than a qualitative difference. Certainly I would feel that funded, adult fencers were not immune from discussions of their performance, as Graham Watts so clearly demonstrated in his article in the Sword a few issues ago.

It is important to remain positive and upbeat with young fencers in the early stages of their competitive careers. In contrast, we do senior athletes no favours if we pretend that everything that they do is a "great effort" or a "brave attempt" when they have obviously bombed out.

Juniors fall somewhere in between - neither naive children, nor hard-assed senior athletes. On balance, I think that Foiling Around struck a reasonable tone in his postings, and Boo's posts were merely informative. I don't know who Angelo is, and their perspective may be different from mine, however I think that their viewpoint strays into the category of "unduly protective". If we want to produce athletes like Paula Radcliffe or Steve Harmison, then we have to be prepared to over deserved praise, or criticism when it is due.

Finally, I very much hope that the injured Juniors recover quickly. Best of luck to them.

Regards

Baldric

AMC
-29th November 2006, 07:24
Reply to Foiling Around

Thank you for your concern. Was unfortunate about ankle but it is getting better which I am pleased about.

know you now I think, another one to my list.

AMC
-29th November 2006, 12:37
Finally, I very much hope that the injured Juniors recover quickly. Best of luck to them.

Regards

Baldric

Laura is back for Leszno, hopefully injury is completly healed.
Alicia will also attend.

Boo Boo
-29th November 2006, 12:44
Laura is back for Leszno, hopefully injury is completly healed.

Fingers crossed for her... :)

Boo