PDA

View Full Version : The 2006 BUSA Individuals

Nick_C
-3rd December 2006, 23:27
New thread ... with less confusing name!!

We've just had an epeeist drop out... don't suppose anyone knows how flexible they are about putting in someone else? Is it possible? What about adding a MF if a WE drops out (since they're on the same day....)

Really lookin forward to the sabre! But i'll be there all 3 days :)

PS does anyone know of the nighttime plans for Saturday (if any...?)

Australian
-3rd December 2006, 23:37
I'll be there from Thursday night.

Where are people staying? Is Nottingham quite a decent town to go out in?

Lenny
-3rd December 2006, 23:41
Cardiff Uni people have been upgraded, from a friend of the presidents kitchen and living room floor...to a travelodge somewhere...I'm guessing there's more than one in the Nottingham vicinity though

Nick_C
-3rd December 2006, 23:47
actually it was gonna be sofas, but hey!! I had 3 spare rooms when i made the offer, butmy evil landlady quickly filled them with new tenants :(

but anyhoo from what i've gathered, you guys are within 2-or-so miles of the venue, so it's all good.. .and i look forward to meeting you "lenny""

I've only been out in Nottingham once or twice, but it is amazing. And somehow huge. This weekend gonna be great :D

Australian
-4th December 2006, 06:40
I'm in the Hilton, which is near the train station. Not sure if that is near the centre or not.

Might have to come out and find you guys, the Hilton bars are always pricey.

Jules
-4th December 2006, 07:52
New thread ... with less confusing name!!

We've just had an epeeist drop out... don't suppose anyone knows how flexible they are about putting in someone else? Is it possible? What about adding a MF if a WE drops out (since they're on the same day....)

Really lookin forward to the sabre! But i'll be there all 3 days :)

PS does anyone know of the nighttime plans for Saturday (if any...?)

As far as I know, if someone drops out you can sub someone into their place provided the new person already appears somewhere else in the weekends lineup.

As for night time saturday I believe the Notts fencers plan to end up at The Irish at least, which is on Wilford St. Not far off the station for Australian!

Saxon
-4th December 2006, 08:10
I'm in the Hilton, which is near the train station. Not sure if that is near the centre or not.

Station is 5-10 mins walk from the middle of town, can't remember the Hilton though. There should be plenty for you young whippersnappers to do. Don't forget the 14 (my last count - several years ago) bars on campus too :P

Jules
-4th December 2006, 11:44
But no...the Campus 14 no longer exists...they closed about half the bars down over the summer :upset:

rpryer
-4th December 2006, 12:23
<off topic>Jules - which ones have shut?</off topic>

The Hilton is next to the Victoria Centre. The number 36 bus will take you from the Hilton to the Uni and vice versa, for 1.30 - you will need exact change. The University West Entrance stop is the best one for the Sports Centre.

Australian
-4th December 2006, 13:00
I'm sure i'll be able to grab a lift with one of the other referees, but thanks mate.

Jules
-4th December 2006, 13:18
<<off topic>> From what I heard, Derby, HuStu, Lenton and Wortley, Willoughby. Haven't been recently as we only used to do hall bars for Campus 14 <</off topic>>

Lenny
-4th December 2006, 17:56
actually it was gonna be sofas, but hey!! I had 3 spare rooms when i made the offer, butmy evil landlady quickly filled them with new tenants :(

Oh that came out horrible when i said we'd been upgraded, sorry! I would have been perfectly happy with sofas and we wouldn't have got disapproving looks from the reception staff when we came rolling in at 3am! I'm just glad El Presidente isn't charging us for the privilege!!

Keith.A.Smith
-4th December 2006, 19:08
Dear All,

Good luck to everyone at the BUSA Championships this weekend.

Fence well and have fun.

Keith

Odd Job
-4th December 2006, 19:35

No its not, about 10/15 mins North of it (slightly uphill and a touch to the right), Hilton's top side of town, but only 5/10 mins away from market Square(Slab square to the locals) and similar distance away from the lace market area (Clubs etc)
When are you arriving? if coming friday morning by train then you want to turn right (outside railway station) to broad marsh bus station and get the no 5 bartons (they give change) bus to west entrance. If you want any more help just shout
Odd Job

Flip
-4th December 2006, 22:09
the durham lot are staying in the ramada, no idea where the hell it is in relation to anywhere. does someone have the post code of the enue so i can do an AA thing to find directions?
cheers

TLove
-4th December 2006, 22:23
I think it's NG72RD

However, http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/campuses/up-directions.php may be useful to you also.

Hopefully see you at the comp :)

ULU are staying at Hylands hotel, Beeston. Remarkably close to the campus :grin:

Flip
-4th December 2006, 22:25
ohhh seek m out, we need to discuss alumni based things i a non email genre
i'm tall and have bright red and black hair, i'll be wearing durham stash (and probaby a hat) and looking hungover

TLove
-4th December 2006, 22:27
I'll wear my old Durham top :)

Are you there all weekend?

Looks like your hotel is a way out :(

Flip
-4th December 2006, 22:33
am there most of the weekend. my dad is picking up on sunday to save my train fair for alcohol (although this is not the reason i gave) luckily i'm staying with a mate who lives fairly close apparently, its just the rest of them who have to fend for themslves. lol.
see you there!

Australian
-5th December 2006, 08:33
No its not, about 10/15 mins North of it (slightly uphill and a touch to the right), Hilton's top side of town, but only 5/10 mins away from market Square(Slab square to the locals) and similar distance away from the lace market area (Clubs etc)
When are you arriving? if coming friday morning by train then you want to turn right (outside railway station) to broad marsh bus station and get the no 5 bartons (they give change) bus to west entrance. If you want any more help just shout
Odd Job

Thanks mate, i'm coming in on thursday night. If anyone else is going out let me know.

Gangsta G
-5th December 2006, 16:38
Those who have been before, what time does it tend to end each day?

Bambi
-5th December 2006, 16:41
Due to lack of funds or just cos folk cant be bothered the aberdeen entries have dropped to 3!!! Myself and a couple of girls are fencing on the friday but gonna make the most of the weekend and spend it shopping!!! Iv'e been told i'll end being a girl and have my nails done!! :0

On a plus means dont have to get up early on saturday or sunday and drive to the venue with a killer hangover!!

Bambi
-5th December 2006, 16:43

depends when you class it being over. If you plan to win it can be about 6pm maybe a bit later.

Gangsta G
-5th December 2006, 16:46
depends when you class it being over. If you plan to win it can be about 6pm maybe a bit later. Cool, not too late then. Thanks.

Tarmac
-5th December 2006, 20:06
Due to lack of funds or just cos folk cant be bothered the aberdeen entries have dropped to 3!!!

It looks like I might be the only one from Manchester Met who makes it...

but it's not the size of the entry... it's the quality :rolling:

Odd Job
-5th December 2006, 20:55
Thanks mate, i'm coming in on thursday night. If anyone else is going out let me know.

No, I'm helping set up.
for cheaper beer there's the ones on the market square or for some culture (or the three oldest pubs) the bell, the salutation & the trip
then down to the waterfront for lloyds, via fossa, the waterfront, fellows clayton and morton, pop over to the vat & fiddle (real ale) then over to the lace market!
or if staying closer to the uni (ie beeston) then there's the last post or for real ale and good grub the victoria hotel (nr railway station)

hope that helps out

TLove
-6th December 2006, 00:34
Victoria Hotel sounds good.

In several years of BUSA individuals, never been there.

UglyBug
-6th December 2006, 09:17
Hello everybody!!

Looking forward to seeing all of you this weekend.

We are having a Master-At-Arms competition this year - nothing fancy, but if you are fencing all 3 weapons and want to be considered (i.e. get me to aggregate your scores on Sunday afternoon) - you can either

a) PM me
b) sign up on Friday

There will be some sort of prize awarded on the Sunday, as well as the infinite glory that obviously comes with such recognition.

I also wanted to have a prize for must stupid question asked by a competitor, but it didn't get approval :-(

Have a safe trip to Nottingham

Ugly

UglyBug
-6th December 2006, 09:19

When you get knocked out ;-)

Around 6-ish - Sunday slightly earlier - but entries are a lot bigger this year, so maybe slightly later

UglyBug
-6th December 2006, 09:22
Hello everybody!!

Looking forward to seeing all of you this weekend.

We are having a Master-At-Arms competition this year - nothing fancy, but if you are fencing all 3 weapons and want to be considered (i.e. get me to aggregate your scores on Sunday afternoon) - you can either

a) PM me
b) sign up on Friday

There will be some sort of prize awarded on the Sunday, as well as the infinite glory that obviously comes with such recognition.

I also wanted to have a prize for must stupid question asked by a competitor, but it didn't get approval :-(

Have a safe trip to Nottingham

Ugly

Sorry for multiple posts - in case it is unclear, there are 2 - 1 for men and 1 for women. Only people fencing all 3 weapons are eligible

UglyBug
-6th December 2006, 14:58
To answer queries for clarifiation I've had via PM and anyone else wondering...

score is calculated by adding final placings together

eg. 1st in epee, 10th in foil, 10th in sabre = 1+10+10 = 21

lowest score wins

If there is a tie, the stages are taken into consideration

eg. another fencer is 8th in epee, 8th in foil, 5th in sabre = 8+8+5 = 21

The second fencer wins because lowest placing is L8 rather than L16

Tie v unlikely considering size of entry I suspect

Nick_C
-6th December 2006, 15:22
wish i'd entered all three now!

MakeTradeFair
-6th December 2006, 15:32
How do you get to the airport on a Sunday. I see the Rainbow 5 bus does not run.

Cheers for any help.

Nick_C
-6th December 2006, 15:37
To EMA?

Nottingham Skylink

Visitors to and from Nottingham should take the high quality and direct Nottingham Skylink bus. This service links the Airport with both Nottingham city centre and Nottingham Railway Station, half hourly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For timetable information visit www.skylink.co.uk

Aidan
-6th December 2006, 22:35
Are we going to be wearing some kind of secret forum identification? I'll be the one with a bit of a gut and a name which matches my forum identity!

My very last BUSA - after 10 years!

Thermal
-6th December 2006, 22:36
It looks like I might be the only one from Manchester Met who makes it...

I shall have to find you over the weekend! Just had my open day at Met today. Couldn't find anyone that knew anything about the fencing club!

(oh and I'll be on my tod from Bolton!)

Thermal
-6th December 2006, 22:37
Are we going to be wearing some kind of secret forum identification? I'll be the one with a bit of a gut and a name which matches my forum identity!

If I get *really* bored tomorrow before going training I may start making "additions" to my kit bag.

Aidan
-6th December 2006, 22:50
Do it! Us Wolves fencers aren't much good but we are friendly, so if you find yourself at a loose end, join us. Are you Crewe/Alsager Met or Manchester?
If fencers are new to Notts, The Olde Trip To Jerusalem is a must: a 1000 yr old pub built into the caves under the castle!

Anyone from Bangor going? My first club (1993-1998).

Australian
-7th December 2006, 05:38
in terms of identification, i'll be wearing a suit, with an accent that matches my username.

Jules
-7th December 2006, 07:18
I'll be the over-tall, left handed foilist attempting to kill you ;) (and likely failing miserably!)

Odd Job
-7th December 2006, 08:19
I'll be the Odd one in the Armoury!

TBennett
-7th December 2006, 08:21
I know it sounds a bit silly but what time is ME check in? Is it 11.30am latest or am i being really really hopeful?

Any help asap would be appreciated.

Regards

Aidan
-7th December 2006, 08:50
as far as I know, it is 11.30. Now I just have to find the bloke who took away all my club's gear with promises of fixing it - and hasn't been seen since!

Thermal
-7th December 2006, 09:30
Do it! Us Wolves fencers aren't much good but we are friendly, so if you find yourself at a loose end, join us. Are you Crewe/Alsager Met or Manchester?

At the Moment I'm at University of Botlon. Next year I'm looking at being at Manchester Met.

I have this feeling I won't be partaking in any drinking as I'm staying with my parents (near Sheffield) and Dad's driving me down! At least this is a practised fomular from going to so many opens with him in tow! Just a shame Purple (Kian) couldn't get tomorrow off work! We could have had a Family Day Out! :rolling:

Flip
-7th December 2006, 09:59
hey, the durham lot are staying a fair way out. whats the best bus to get from the Ramada to the venue?
nd how much would a taxi be?
anyone got any clues, i tried ringing the hotel but they didn't answer

rpryer
-7th December 2006, 10:18
I think you'll struggle to get a bus, as I think the closest bus stop will be in Long Eaton, a couple of miles away. If you go from there, the Rainbow 5 will take you straight to the University.

A taxi will cost around 15 - try Cable Cars on 0115 922 9229, or see what the hotel recommends when you get there. Probably worth warning the taxi about the size of your bags, as they do have a number of saloons.

If you can put up with the hassle, get a taxi from the hotel ot Long Eaton Green, and then the 5 from there.

rpryer
-7th December 2006, 10:27
Too late to edit again...

Just to clarify, the nearest bus stop will probably be at Long Eaton railway station, but the buses are less frequent than from the Green in the centre of town.

TBennett
-7th December 2006, 14:29
So its agreed? 11.30am latest. Still dont quite believe it....

There will be murders if I get scratched ;)

doobarz
-7th December 2006, 15:44
So its agreed? 11.30am latest. Still dont quite believe it....

There will be murders if I get scratched ;)

Perhaps you should get there early just in case...

UglyBug
-7th December 2006, 16:05
Perhaps you should get there early just in case...

Good idea - about 8am would be great, then you can help finish laying pistes :-)

Tarmac
-7th December 2006, 16:26
Is there usually an equipment stand?

pigeonmeister
-7th December 2006, 16:28
Last two years there's been a LP stand.

gbm
-7th December 2006, 16:55
LP are definitely planning to be there.

pinkelephant
-7th December 2006, 17:01
See you all Saturday - or Friday night if you're reffing. Got to teach years 10 & 11 tomorrow. Deep joy.
:upset: :helpbanne :shrug: :ahahhhhhh

Thermal
-8th December 2006, 08:47
After a *very* cold night in my old bedroom at Chez Parent I'll be seeing those there today in about an hour!

Have fun! I'll sere you all tonight!

silvercross
-8th December 2006, 13:34
Any interesting developments in todays round of pulse pounding action?

Thermal
-8th December 2006, 18:42
I came 33rd in the women's sabre (out of 58)! That's like my best result *ever*! :whistle: I was 19th after poules. I just could believe it.

Christie Waddington won WS, sadly have no idea who was 2nd.

Didn't stick around for the ME final.

Ohh yes, I've got plenty of photos of the WS, but can't post until I get back to mine (stuck with my parents' PC until Sunday). I've been a very silly young lady and forgotten my battery charger and have no card reader here, so I've only got film to last the rest of the weekend!

Coup Lance
-8th December 2006, 21:04
James Thornton (Northumbria) won the Men's epee in a final against a French gentleman who's name i forget, sorry. The final was good but perhaps the most exciting fight of the finals was Jimmy and Tom Bennett in the Semi-final with Jimmy winning 15-14.

Gangsta G
-8th December 2006, 21:14
James Thornton (Northumbria) won the Men's epee in a final against a French gentleman who's name i forget, sorry.Xavier Muller, Birmingham Uni. A member of the French Junior Europeans team a few years ago. The man's done us proud!

Emma T
-8th December 2006, 21:31
I came 19th in WS (from a seeding of 6th-d'oh!), but not bad for my 1st sabre comp... So glad I switched from foil.

Elaine Hughes came 2nd and Justine Aw came joint 3rd with someone whose name I can't remember.

Was nice meeting those of you today who I recognised!

Emma

Tarmac
-9th December 2006, 09:08
Had a great day on friday and every DE I had was enormous fun. Went out in the 32 losing 13-15 to Tristan Hale... him and his slippery mask :rolling:
Nice to see some familiar faces and to meet some new ones :)

Was that Ymit Sina competing on the piste next to me or did I just imagine it?

MatFink
-9th December 2006, 15:53
But its worth it to mention that the Individual Men's and Women's Epee Champions are from the same uni.

Congratulation Jimmy Thornton, and Katie Dolan (both Team Northumbria)

Foilling Around
-10th December 2006, 14:37
Just popped in to the venue and saw the WF final. Hannah Bryars beating Elaine Hughes 15:12. Elaine fencing well with lovely footwork, controlled fencing and working openings. Hannah more explosive with the faster hand and picking up on openings and preparations. An interesting contrast both deserving of making the final and it could have gone either way.

Don't know any of the other results.

Thermal
-10th December 2006, 16:11
Ehh gods! I'm home! Good weekend, glad I went! Now time to do a write up for my AU. Now where to start??

Nick_C
-10th December 2006, 16:17
Full results will no doubt be up on busa website in the next couple of weeks.

Well done to ALL the Loughborough guys&girls... Three "finals" - One gold, one bronze, one L8 (me!!!!!). my best and final BUSA result.

Oh and anyone like the flag we made? Surprising what you can do with a 79p bucket of children's paint and some white cloth :P

Went out with Leics guys Friday & Cardiff guys Saturday :grin:

Nick_C
-10th December 2006, 16:21
btw MSabre finished
1 Crutchet (Cam) 15-6ish
2 Danny Ryan (Cam)
3 D. Brenda (Leics)
3 T .Olphin (brum)
5-8 Jacob Colligan (Notts), Kit rumney (Bath), T.Brenda (Durham?), Nick Charles (Lufbra)

MF
1.David Alexander (Lufbra) 15-6
2.Andrew Cauldwell (Ox)
3.Chis Amery (Brum)
3. ?.Loggie i think (??)

Gangsta G
-10th December 2006, 16:45
btw MSabre finished
1 Crutchet (Cam) 15-6ish
2 Danny Ryan (Cam)
3 D. Brenda (Leics)
3 T .Olphin (brum)
5-8 Jacob Colligan (Notts), Kit rumney (Bath), T.Brenda (Durham?), Nick Charles (Lufbra)

MF
1.David Alexander (Lufbra) 15-6
2.Andrew Cauldwell (Ox)
3.Chis Amery (Brum)
3. ?.Loggie i think (??) Tom Brenda is Bristol not Durham (Ricky is Durham but didn't fence). Very good to see Tom back after 6 months out and a nasty knee operation. Loggie is Edinburgh I think - and it's Chris Emery not Amery! But aside from that well done Nick_C :tongue:

Well done Jamie Thornton & Rachel Gowers (?), champions at arms.

A really enjoyable weekend. Thanks to all.

Boo Boo
-10th December 2006, 16:48
T.Brenda (Durham?)

Bristol University :cool:

3.Chis Amery (Brum)

Chris Emery

silvercross
-10th December 2006, 17:03
Loggie is from St. Andrews, if memory serves me right. His L8 match against Thornton was absolutely fantastic. It was like watching Rocky IV, only without the Russian accents (Or Stallone's for that matter). Never seen that many presidents hanging around a match. You'd think they were going to send in the blue helmets to ensure peace.

But one heck of a match... really one of the highlights of a great tournament.

Overall, really good tournament, everything finished early (first time in my 3 years attending). Sunday done by 3:00pm?! fantastic!

Congrats to all the winners.

Gangsta G
-10th December 2006, 17:06
Loggie is from St. Andrews, if memory serves me right. His L8 match against Thornton was absolutely fantastic. Yes, it was truly awesome - and that's a sabreur talking about foil!

wraith
-10th December 2006, 17:56
Excellent competition, my first and last time there unfortunately but Really enjoyed it. Thanks all.

Australian
-10th December 2006, 18:36
Busy weekend.

Am positively shattered. Was very nice to meet a lot of new people and a lot of old friends.

pinkelephant
-10th December 2006, 18:40
Loggie is from St. Andrews, if memory serves me right. His L8 match against Thornton was absolutely fantastic. It was like watching Rocky IV, only without the Russian accents (Or Stallone's for that matter). Never seen that many presidents hanging around a match. You'd think they were going to send in the blue helmets to ensure peace.

Overall, really good tournament, everything finished early (first time in my 3 years attending). Sunday done by 3:00pm?! fantastic!

I left it part way through to ref the WE final in the other room and it was still going on when I got back - and I could hear the noise in the other room all the time.

fa266
-10th December 2006, 19:01
Anyone know the last 8 for WS?

Aer
-10th December 2006, 19:23

I turned up on the saturdayto catch up with the st andrews folks and meet some of the guys and girls from uni #2 (Manchester) and ended up being roped into presiding some of the foil (128-32) - was good fun, albeit random.

Then got to see the best uni foil match I think I've ever witnessed: the Loggie/Thornton L8.

Was possibly the pick of the MF -shame i hadn't got a proper camera - tho i did manage to get some of L16-l8 on my mobile!

Flip
-10th December 2006, 20:04
i don't think my liver will ever be the same again.
good week end if not the result i wanted.
i'm going to curl up and die now...

Caithdein
-10th December 2006, 20:21

My first year helping out in DT but I soon got them all into shape and working hard!

honest.....

*ahem*

think i need a few days lie down for my legs to recover though - and I wasn't even fencing....I think some sort of rope and bucket idea needs to be implemented to pass results down rather than running up and down those stairs all day with a gammy knee..

TLove
-10th December 2006, 20:35
i don't think my liver will ever be the same again.
good week end if not the result i wanted.
i'm going to curl up and die now...

Pretty much yeah

Gangsta G
-11th December 2006, 00:34
Busy weekend.

Am positively shattered. Was very nice to meet a lot of new people and a lot of old friends.You did well. Congratulations to all the referees who turned up because it really makes a difference and is certainly appreciated by the fencers (well by me anyway!)

Nick_C
-11th December 2006, 01:13
Anyone know the last 8 for WS?

i only know (90% sure of these - it's been a long day, lol)
1. Waddington, 2. Elaine Hughes 3, Justine Aw & *
L8 Flip, Charlotte Murphy, *, one more i didnt see

*Gernard/Guardino - one was 3rd, one L8. The non-English one was 3rd. Apologies but i got them mixed up.

Cheers again to the refs n organisers! Also to the coaches who came and assisted.

And the piss-up in notts was quite good too! see you all in the new year!

gbm
-11th December 2006, 01:28
Pigs can fly. I saw them. Just before I seeded 3rd in the MF after the poules :rolling:
Thanks to Steve Moore, Roz Hull, David Sach and Suse Wesley for reffing me.
Finished 17th in the foil in the end. Great weekend, well organised. Sorted :)
I'm assuming Jamie Thornton won Master-At-Arms?

pinkelephant
-11th December 2006, 06:08
I'm assuming Jamie Thornton won Master-At-Arms?

Yes. 1st in poky sticks, 7th in fairy sticks and 22nd in wavy sticks.:grin: James Loggie was 14th in poky sticks, 3rd in fairy sticks and 29th in wavy sticks.

Lynne
-11th December 2006, 08:02
Well done Jimmy.:not_worth

And well done Katie. :thumbs_up

pigeonmeister
-11th December 2006, 09:13
What a great weekend, big thumbs up to the organisers and referees who achieved the unthinkable- both finals finished by 4.30pm on a saturday afternoon!

Huge big up to Jimmy T, showed just how good a competitor he is against Bennett (who I took 12 hits off in L16!) and just how good a fencer he was in the final. Xavier- his opponent in the final, is a team mate and I was well happy for him to get silver, but you have to admire how Jimmy controled the fight. Also- 27 hits in under 3 mins!

Finaly, I have to blow Birmingham's trumpet- I can't see how any other uni won more medals (Obviously well done to Northumbria for their two golds though)

Tom, Helan Prior and Myself got a bronze each, in MS, MF and WE respectively. Xav a silver in ME. In fact 4 of the L16 in ME were Birmingham fencers. Gangsta G got a great L16 and we had a record number of beginners entering, all having a great time too.

Well done to everyone.

Caithdein
-11th December 2006, 09:14
i'll have a word and get a copy of all the results and final rankings and get them put up here - give me a day or so.

Flip
-11th December 2006, 09:59
Pretty much yeah

you light weight! you didn't make it past the first bar on saturday!
although friday night was admittedly heavy and, if i remember coreectly, you still owe me alcohol!
see you on the 7th
x

Captain Jack
-11th December 2006, 10:13
Tom, Helan Prior and Myself got a bronze each, in MS, MF and WE respectively. Xav a silver in ME.

Well done to everyone.

I have got to question BUSA's policy of entries, but well done anyway to HelEn Prior in MF thats awesome. The Pigeonmeister must have shaved for the WE (what we will do for a medal eh?)

ALright I had my fun. That really is awesome guys and girls. Four medals from one uni at BUSA is a lot.

Isn't that a medal two years in a row for your good self, and top of Northern Premier League for men and womens.

Damn I went to the wrong uni!

Maxim
-11th December 2006, 10:54
A great weekend. I think it was the best organised BUSA I've been too. A bit disappointed with the way the pools worked out for me. In ME ended up in the same pool with Muller, Bradley and Caldwell which resulted in a very low seed. Out to Tristan Hale 13-15 in the L64. MF had an easier pool but only 5 people in it and as a result only seed 17 after winning all fights. Gave a good run to Andy Caldwell in the L16 but did not do enough 12-15. Made a L32 in sabre as well, out to Collingham 12-15

pigeonmeister
-11th December 2006, 11:27
I have got to question BUSA's policy of entries, but well done anyway to HelEn Prior in MF thats awesome. The Pigeonmeister must have shaved for the WE (what we will do for a medal eh?)

ALright I had my fun. That really is awesome guys and girls. Four medals from one uni at BUSA is a lot.

Isn't that a medal two years in a row for your good self, and top of Northern Premier League for men and womens.

Damn I went to the wrong uni!

LOL!

OK so I did not do a Titanic and pretend to be a girl in order to enter WE! All allegations of cross dressing will be strenously denied!

(Blushes) Yes that is a medal two years in a row for me, and yes both men and women are unbeaten this year and top of their prems. But I am most chuffed about us winning 4 medals (one in each weapons for the men) and getting 4 in the top 12 of ME. Means we had 33% of all medals available to the Men!!

Also massive big up to Gangsta G- who was instantly rewarded (for his performance) with a place on the GBR junior A-Grade team, well done mate!!! Was funny watching you wave around the pointy weapons also!

Can I also say a special big up to the Liverpool Uni team. They are the nicest set of lads in the BUSA league and I sorely wish I'd been able to have a night out in Nottingham with them on saturday. Was a shame to see Silvercross not in his whites though! Thanks for your support, and lets have a proper night out soon!

NOTE TO ALL PROMISING CADETS AND JUNIORS:

COME TO BIRMINGHAM- YOUR FENCING WILL BE WELL LOOKED AFTER!!!

Nick_C
-11th December 2006, 11:33
be careful, or this thread will turn into an advertising war!

Captain Jack
-11th December 2006, 12:09
Go to Nottingham number one party town in Britain (plus as an added bonus nearly all the fencers have now gone!!!)

Birmingham Uni will improve your fencing and is tolerent of cross dressing

Any other thoughts for uni slogans coming out of weekend?

Aoife
-11th December 2006, 13:10
think i need a few days lie down for my legs to recover though - and I wasn't even fencing....I think some sort of rope and bucket idea needs to be implemented to pass results down rather than running up and down those stairs all day with a gammy knee..

.... there was a lift :whistle: . Though it had an unnerving tendancy to start opening the doors before it was level with where you wanted to be (by about 3 inches or so) which is bad when your spacial awareness and balance are constantly a bit dodgy, but add a hangover into the equation and urgh :dizzy:

It was a good comp, went expected to be bottom in everything, and was about middle instead.. I think, 44 in sabre, 4? in epee, and 35 in foil. So I'm happy with that. Got extrodinarily drunk on Saturday, so could have probably done better in foil, but oh well, had a good time. On that note... anybody know what the penalty would be if you threw up on piste? I got hit pretty hard in the stomach during poules and found myself contemplating that particular offence.

Great meeting the people I met, lots of fun being poked repeatedly by everyone, really enjoyed watching all the finals... and I might be out of bed in a few days :rolleyes: :grin:

TLove
-11th December 2006, 13:50
you light weight! you didn't make it past the first bar on saturday!
although friday night was admittedly heavy and, if i remember coreectly, you still owe me alcohol!
see you on the 7th
x

bah, I know you're only talking to me because I owe you drinks.

Caithdein
-11th December 2006, 14:14
.... there was a lift :whistle: . Though it had an unnerving tendancy to start opening the doors before it was level with where you wanted to be (by about 3 inches or so) which is bad when your spacial awareness and balance are constantly a bit dodgy, but add a hangover into the equation and urgh :dizzy:

I contemplated the lift but it was too slow - and I know all you fencers were eager for the results to come out quickly so the competition could run smoothly, end early and allow you all to start drinking again!

Gangsta G
-11th December 2006, 14:26
I'd like to second everything pigeonmeister has said! Big up the Liverpool lads, a really friendly group of guys who supported all our fencers in the DEs except for when they were against Liverpool fencers!

And anyone doing Uni applications should definitely come to Birmingham because we are THE BEST!

:grin:

doobarz
-11th December 2006, 14:27
anybody know what the penalty would be if you threw up on piste? I got hit pretty hard in the stomach during poules and found myself contemplating that particular offence.

When it happened at Bristol a few years ago the fencer in question was just made to clear it up. And mocked forever more....

silvercross
-11th December 2006, 14:27
Advertise?! Never! (Go Liverpool Uni! :nanananan )

Thanks, Pigeonmeister. Some awesome fencing on your part and from everyone from Birmingham.

Good to see so mane good things being said about the BUSAs here. It was really a very organized and smoothly run competition (even the PA system which still made me want to reply 'I asked for large fries with that!' :grin: )

Yes, it was a little sad not to be on the pistes scaring people with the pirate look, but I shall bide my time...besides, gotta work out the flab from lack of competition to try to make a good run in tournaments next year!

Definitely in for a night out terrorizing the dance floors of any major city in the UK!

Gangsta G
-11th December 2006, 14:32
When it happened at Bristol a few years ago the fencer in question was just made to clear it up. And mocked forever more....I remember that happening, I was fencing in the sabre plate on a nearby piste when it happened, David Kirby (who was refereeing) immediately stopped the fight in order to take a quick break to ensure he didn't throw up as well! I obviously hadn't seen it, but my clubmates watching me told me to look in the opposite dierction!

Australian
-11th December 2006, 14:44
Just thought I'd repeat how well it was organised. Both of the main days were over well before 5pm, which is quite amazing considering that there were 120+ in the Men's Epee. An interesting note was that I felt as tired as if it had finished at 6 or 7, but it was only 4pm - very strange.

I know now who pigeonmeister is, i'm sure i refereed one or more of his D.E's throughout the day.

Lots of other forum people came up and introduced themselves, which was great. Was nice meeting Thermal and Caithdein, as well as countless people i knew already.

Phoenix
-11th December 2006, 14:46
Despite a detour to Nottingham Trent University the Glasgow foilists made it ok mostly due to a speeding taxi driver and my beligerant diplomatic technique, eventually playing the ethnic card:

"But we've come all the way from Glasgow and we can't go home now!"

We didn't even need to warm up, having completed four circuits of the Trent Uni campus trying to find the Sports Centre.

It was a fun weekend for us and none of us had ever been to BUSA before (evidently!). We met some nice people and a big thank you to Swansea who came to check on me during my foil DE.

Phoenix
-11th December 2006, 14:47
I remember that happening, I was fencing in the sabre plate on a nearby piste when it happened, David Kirby (who was refereeing) immediately stopped the fight in order to take a quick break to ensure he didn't throw up as well! I obviously hadn't seen it, but my clubmates watching me told me to look in the opposite dierction!

I am interested to know if the mask acts as a sieve...

pigeonmeister
-11th December 2006, 14:48
I know now who pigeonmeister is, i'm sure i refereed one or more of his D.E's throughout the day

Indeed, my L16 and L8. Both refereed with impecable judgement and concise and accurate phrasing!!

And my god- how well was David Alexander fencing?!!

Kepster
-11th December 2006, 15:37
To echo the thoughts of others, a very well organised weekend - multiple copies of paperwork being posted most welcome, helped with the confusion of listening to the station announcer (that's what we all thought it was anyway!).

On my part, 49th (I think) in the ME, won 3 lost 2 (Tris Hale & James Loggie) in the Poule, in the L64 I had the misfortune to have Monsieur Muller who took me to the cleaners.

MS 78th, more than happy with that as it's the first time I've ever done a sabre comp!

Hi to all the Liverpool lads, as per normal we all had a laugh - at one point during the WE there was a combined Lancaster/Liverpool support taking on York - the Roses battle lives on! Also to all the others I talked to over the weekend, far too many to remember them all now...

Jules
-11th December 2006, 15:53
Great weekend without a doubt; came 27th in WF which I can't complain about :) but getting 2 other left handers in a poule of 6 was nearly the end of me! I hate left handers! ;)

Illandra
-11th December 2006, 15:57
Phoenix, our guys were just v glad your lot turned up when they did or they probably wouldnt have been fencing.

Fantastic weekend, Sabre rocks!

Aidan
-11th December 2006, 16:06
This was my 10th and final BUSA, and organisationally it was by far the best. It was good to meet Thermal, Tarmac and Aoife and renew other forum acquaintances. Sussex and Bangor were both lovely bunches of people as were lots of others I talked to.
I was 26th in the MF: knocked out by James Loggie for the second year running, but with style and grace (on his part, that is). Also: refereeing was as flawless in all my fights as I've ever experienced. Thanks too to the armourers - unflappable as always.

Interesting turnout too: I've been refereeing the BYCs and EYCs for a couple of years now, and saw lots of the recent graduates from those do extremely well: Katie Dolan is one of them.
The rest of my team were utter beginners and were stunned by how nice people were to them: tips and hints all over the place. So thanks to whoever fenced them.

Pigeonmeister: it feels like a very long time since Wolves men beat Brum (and it was - 2000 or 2001). Congratulations to you and the team.
Aidan

Red
-11th December 2006, 18:00
Jules - a fantastic first foil DE fight there - :womping: 15-0!!! Almost looked like a sabreur ;)

TBennett
-11th December 2006, 19:21
Congrats to Jimmy T on the ME result....

Just wish I could have given him a better fight as I had a stinkin cold most of the day. Anyway, he came out on top and deserved to win....There is always the next two years for revenge.....

Regards.

PM1
-11th December 2006, 19:29

....There is always the next two years for revenge.....

VERY well done JT and Katie :grin:
ANd HOW long is your course, Gordon??????:eek:

TBennett
-11th December 2006, 19:44
VERY well done JT and Katie :grin:
ANd HOW long is your course, Gordon??????:eek:

Well.....lets just say I've got a few more years...... ;)

In fact im in 2nd year and I have 3rd and 4th years to go.... I will have done 5 BUSAs though...go figure...

PM1
-11th December 2006, 20:25
I will have done 5 BUSAs though...go figure...

....ahhh...another 4 year degree with a split year making it 5......there y'go....!!

OOO....don't I remember a "rogue" year in there as well?????:tongue:

Aer
-11th December 2006, 20:47
by the time i finish i will be on busa #5 (and thats missing two of the ones i could have gone to...)

TBennett
-11th December 2006, 21:36
....ahhh...another 4 year degree with a split year making it 5......there y'go....!!

OOO....don't I remember a "rogue" year in there as well?????:tongue:

Define a 'rogue year'............................

PM1
-11th December 2006, 22:04
Define a 'rogue year'............................
PM'd you......:whistle:

Aidan
-11th December 2006, 22:12
5 years? Babes in arms! 1994-1996, year off having an actual job, 1998-2000 (part-time MA), 2000-2006 part-time PhD = 9 BUSA individuals. This was the best one yet. Wonder if I can find another course to justify turning up next year.
A

pinkelephant
-11th December 2006, 22:40

Just wish I could have given him a better fight as I had a stinkin cold most of the day. Anyway, he came out on top and deserved to win....There is always the next two years for revenge.....

Regards.

Why does he only win stuff when I'm not there to see it? I was still on the A50..........

alien abductee
-11th December 2006, 23:06
Why does he only win stuff when I'm not there to see it? I was still on the A50..........

Maybe you're a jinx and he doesn't have the heart to tell you...:eek:

Thermal
-11th December 2006, 23:10
Maybe you're a jinx and he doesn't have the heart to tell you...:eek:

It took me a while to get around to telling Kian and my dad that they "distract" me while I fence..

Phoenix
-12th December 2006, 11:34
Phoenix, our guys were just v glad your lot turned up when they did or they probably wouldnt have been fencing.

Fantastic weekend, Sabre rocks!

We know how to make an entrance, albeit 30 minutes late. I don't think I've ever changed so quickly. Glad to be of assistance though!

UglyBug
-15th December 2006, 09:19
Full results will no doubt be up on busa website in the next couple of weeks.

Well done to ALL the Loughborough guys&girls... Three "finals" - One gold, one bronze, one L8 (me!!!!!). my best and final BUSA result.

Oh and anyone like the flag we made? Surprising what you can do with a 79p bucket of children's paint and some white cloth :P

Went out with Leics guys Friday & Cardiff guys Saturday :grin:

I thought it was very nice of you to get the local nursery schools to make you a supporters sign

Nick_C
-15th December 2006, 12:10
well i'm a very charitable person. like getting the community involved. Never too early to get them involved in fencing lol

Nick_C
-2nd January 2007, 10:51
On the basis of three points for a gold, two for a silver and one for bronze, the 'medals table' is as follows:

6 NORTHUMBRIA (G, G)
5 CAMBRIDGE (G, S)
5 BIRMINGHAM (S, B, B, B)
4 LOUGHBOROUGH (G, B)
4 BATH (S, S)
4 OXFORD (S, B, B)
3 IMPERIAL (G)
3 NEWCASTLE (G)
2 BRISTOL (S)
2 ST ANDREWS (B, B)
1 ROYAL HOLLOWAY (B)
1 LEICESTER (B)
1 EDINBURGH (B)
1 NOTTINGHAM (B)

I've been asked to write a report for the Uni Sports Magazine. I think everyone should do the same - get some extra publicity :)

pigeonmeister
-3rd January 2007, 13:06
On the basis of three points for a gold, two for a silver and one for bronze, the 'medals table' is as follows:

6 NORTHUMBRIA (G, G)
5 CAMBRIDGE (G, S)
5 BIRMINGHAM (S, B, B, B)
4 LOUGHBOROUGH (G, B)
4 BATH (S, S)
4 OXFORD (S, B, B)
3 IMPERIAL (G)
3 NEWCASTLE (G)
2 BRISTOL (S)
2 ST ANDREWS (B, B)
1 ROYAL HOLLOWAY (B)
1 LEICESTER (B)
1 EDINBURGH (B)
1 NOTTINGHAM (B)

I've been asked to write a report for the Uni Sports Magazine. I think everyone should do the same - get some extra publicity :)

Cool, I have already done a report for our Uni magazine. I strongly recommend others to do so- if you don't be pro-active then they will rarely cover fencing. Also helpful when asking for more money!

P.S I claim the position of 2nd for Birmingham in your table, by the ancient tradition of alphabetical order!!

Gangsta G
-4th January 2007, 21:36
Cool, I have already done a report for our Uni magazine. I strongly recommend others to do so- if you don't be pro-active then they will rarely cover fencing. Also helpful when asking for more money!

P.S I claim the position of 2nd for Birmingham in your table, by the ancient tradition of alphabetical order!! I'll second that!

Odd Job
-4th January 2007, 21:57
Shouldn't it be as per normal medal tables,
Number of golds then silvers then bronze?

NORTHUMBRIA (G, G)
CAMBRIDGE (G, S)
LOUGHBOROUGH (G, B)
IMPERIAL (G)
NEWCASTLE (G)
BATH (S, S)
BIRMINGHAM (S, B, B, B)
OXFORD (S, B, B)
BRISTOL (S)
ST ANDREWS (B, B)
EDINBURGH (B)
LEICESTER (B)
NOTTINGHAM (B)
ROYAL HOLLOWAY (B)

just to liven the debate up

Odd Job

Nick_C
-4th January 2007, 22:01
haha excellent. yep much better ;)

UglyBug
-5th January 2007, 09:51

NORTHUMBRIA (G, G)
CAMBRIDGE (G, S)
LOUGHBOROUGH (G, B)
IMPERIAL (G)
NEWCASTLE (G)
BATH (S, S)
BIRMINGHAM (S, B, B, B)
OXFORD (S, B, B)
BRISTOL (S)
ST ANDREWS (B, B)
EDINBURGH (B)
LEICESTER (B)
NOTTINGHAM (B)
ROYAL HOLLOWAY (B)

Odd Job

Yes that's better, but are you counting the Master-At-Arms winners? That's another one for Northumbria. Can't remember where the ladies winner came from.

pinkelephant
-5th January 2007, 10:08
Ah, but that wasn't a medal - it was a bottle of fizz.

pigeonmeister
-5th January 2007, 16:29

NORTHUMBRIA (G, G)
CAMBRIDGE (G, S)
LOUGHBOROUGH (G, B)
IMPERIAL (G)
NEWCASTLE (G)
BATH (S, S)
BIRMINGHAM (S, B, B, B)
OXFORD (S, B, B)
BRISTOL (S)
ST ANDREWS (B, B)
EDINBURGH (B)
LEICESTER (B)
NOTTINGHAM (B)
ROYAL HOLLOWAY (B)

Odd Job

I'm sure there is a good reason why this is unfair and wrong, I can't think of one yet but it coming..!

BTW who won the ladies master at arms?

axiomsofchoice
-5th January 2007, 17:07

NORTHUMBRIA (G, G)
CAMBRIDGE (G, S)

Doesn't make much difference for Cambridge :)