PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Universities Championships (Beginner and Individual)

Asprin
-4th December 2006, 00:13
Hi,

Does anyone have any more information about these, such as location actual dates or who to contact for more info?

"Scottish Universities Beginners Championships 6w, February"
and
"Scottish Universities Individual Championships 6w, February"

All I know is this info, which I got off the Allstar website and since my uni doesnt have a fencing team or club they don't know much.

Asprin

Pointless
-5th December 2006, 12:13
I think beginners is at Heriot Watt on the 10th/11th and Individuals at Edinburgh on the 17th/18th according to the list I made up for our club a while ago, but I don't know where I got that from :D
What uni are you at out of interest?

rory
-5th December 2006, 12:22
Perhaps emailing admin@scottish-fencing.com would help?

Asprin
-5th December 2006, 14:00
I'm at Napier Uni.

I asked one of the people from scottish fencing about it and they said I needed to contact the Scottish Association of Student Fencers. Whose website appears as a plain white page.

It will be good if they are both in Edinburgh.

Asprin
-5th December 2006, 19:51
Does anyone know what weapons are being done which day?

Because I want to do WF and WS, and I need to find out whether I can do that.

Anybody got an actual email contact for the events?

Skartha
-6th December 2006, 11:14
Heriot-Watt seem to be under the impression that it's at their place, so I assume it's there :D Assuming it's the same as last year, it's the usual format: MF/WS/WE one day, WF/MS/ME on the other, so WF and WS will be doabobble :)

Asprin
-6th December 2006, 12:03
I hope so.

This is the only info I have got since I went to ask my sports union and they said "are you on the team" when I said there wasn't one, they said "why would we know then".

twohappyhippos
-6th December 2006, 13:59
The individuals are at Edinburgh, I can tell you that. If you want more info about this comp just contact me.

Phoenix
-12th December 2006, 11:26
Glasgow University held the beginners last year and it tends to go alphabetically so I presume that Heriot Watt will host it this year. There should be a better system in place to organise this all, but there you go.

The Individuals appears to be 17th/18th, at least that was what was sent in an e-mail during the summer. This is annoying because the Sports Assoc. ball is on the night of the 17th so I wouldn't expect many from Glasgow on the Sunday :) If we do turn up then there will be a rule implemented meaning that hits to the stomach are illegal.

scottishsabreur
-10th January 2007, 12:47
How do you get to Heriot Watt (for the beginners)?

Pointless
-12th January 2007, 19:25
I think the 25 bus (Lothian) in Edinburgh goes to Heriot Watt and goes through Princes St, if that's any help :) If you're bringing loads of stuff, you might be better getting a taxi.

I'll probably end up doing girly foil and sab as well :) My epee's been pretty terrible this year :(

Gav
-12th January 2007, 20:58
Not sure if the 25 runs at the weekend (or is that the 45?).

Check out www.lothianbuses.co.uk it's a good site.

Am I helpful or what?

Avoid getting a taxi - here in the burg they are bloody expensive.

Asprin
-12th January 2007, 21:13
The 45 does not run at the weekend. I would assume the comp is out at main campus which would be on the 25 route.

My uni doesn't realise that its happening still and I have been and asked for funding (which I'm supposed to be getting yeay, it will probably be bus fare out and back knowing Napier).

Pointless
-12th January 2007, 21:19
I <3 Lothian :)

Last time I got a taxi in Edinburgh (think it's been the only time actually, since I live on three of the major bus routes) was to the Scottish Open last year and they had absolutely no idea where they were going, despite us having booked it well in advance :rolleyes:

Phoenix
-15th January 2007, 17:10
Are there any entry forms circulating for the Beginners competition in February at HW? It can only be a few weeks away and I would like to get everyone organised.

fencingmum
-15th January 2007, 17:12
Does anyone know which weapons are on which day?

Asprin
-15th January 2007, 17:29
There is a form, MakeTradeFair has it.

He is supposed to be creating a thread which would link to the form. He told me to email him, I did and he hasn't got back to me yet.

Your supposed to apply via uni's fencing club, ask them.

Phoenix
-15th January 2007, 17:31
There ought to be a better way of organising and posting entry forms for student competitions. Is anything being done about SASFs website?

Asprin
-15th January 2007, 17:41
Technically SASF is now part of SUSport. I spoke to Scottish Fencing today and they have no dates or contacts for the competitions.

MakeTradeFair
-15th January 2007, 19:05
I assure you that entry forms for both the beginners and the individual championships will be circulated via email to all university club captains the second I recieve them. Asprin... you have been added to the mailing list - so you have no need to worry.

Fencingmum- I would bet a lot of money that Mens Foil and Girls sabre and epee will be on the Saturday and remaining weapons on Sunday as it has been that way for years. However - it is the decision of the host unis... and they have not yet confirmed this.

fencingmum
-15th January 2007, 21:15
Thank you, MTF. Previous replies to my enquiry might have guessed from my name that I wasn't planning on taking part!

twohappyhippos
-17th January 2007, 16:14
As promised here is the entry forms for the Student Individuals.

*crosses fingers and prays this attaches*

Any other questions e-mail me or ask me over Facebook (which sadly I check more often than I do fencing forum).

Skartha
-18th January 2007, 23:59
As promised here is the entry forms for the Student Individuals.

*crosses fingers and prays this attaches*

Any other questions e-mail me or ask me over Facebook (which sadly I check more often than I do fencing forum).

Danke muchly - how do you want payment for entries? A cheque from each entrant? And if so, payable to whom?

twohappyhippos
-19th January 2007, 11:03
You are more than welcome! I'm quite impressed with my computer skills! I was literally crossing all fingers and praying that it would work.

Re payment. Payment can be made on the day. Cheques are fine. Just make it payable to SASF.

One weapon = 8. Two = 12. Bargain don't you think?

Skartha
-19th January 2007, 12:03
You are more than welcome! I'm quite impressed with my computer skills! I was literally crossing all fingers and praying that it would work.

Re payment. Payment can be made on the day. Cheques are fine. Just make it payable to SASF.

One weapon = 8. Two = 12. Bargain don't you think?

'Tis a distinctly reasonable rate. I'll see if I can rustle together a few Queen Margaret bods :thumbs_up

twohappyhippos
-19th January 2007, 23:06
Good good, tis what I like to hear. Go out and advertise well! Hope to see lots of fencers there!

Asprin
-19th January 2007, 23:14
You will certainly have the Napier person, they agreed to pay for me!

twohappyhippos
-20th January 2007, 16:07
Whoop whoop. Glad to hear it! Edinburgh Uni are trying to organise something for the saturday night which I'm sure will involve copious amounts of alcohol so spread the word at your unis!!!

D'Artignan
-20th January 2007, 16:17
Did someone mention alcohol?:grin: :drinkbott

Asprin
-20th January 2007, 17:19
Did someone mention alcohol?:grin: :drinkbott

Its a student comp, what did you think, there would be no drinking?

D'Artignan
-20th January 2007, 18:44
Some of the students nowadays seem to take the actual competition seriously enough to stay sober for it. Not mentioning any names Piston.....:whistle:

Pointless
-20th January 2007, 21:24
I'm never sober, even with the slight handicap of being teetotal :D

twohappyhippos
-23rd January 2007, 21:46
Hi everyone, could all people on the forum who go to a Scottish uni please please forward this link and all the info about the indivduals to the uni clubs? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!! Merci beaucoup.

www.eufc.org.uk/node/34

Asprin
-23rd January 2007, 22:07
Whats the best way to get to Pleasance from Tollcross, with a rather lagre fencing bag?

I don't go to that area of town normally.

scottishsabreur
-23rd January 2007, 22:36
Ok....so...I just got an email from the president of Heriot Watt's Sports Union and they seem to think they are hosting the beginners on the 13th and 14th of February...which is during the week...and last year it was at the weekend and I thought this was the normal format? I have classes on the 13th and I would expect that a lot of other students do as well. Anyone know what the deal is with this or have Heriot Watt just got their dates wrong?

Asprin
-23rd January 2007, 22:49
I am guessing but I think they are wrong.

I do not know for certain though. The forms haven't been sent out yet and that would give a definate date.

I will have classes on the Tues if it is then I would just skip the classes. I know some football fixtures that Napier does are during the week so fencing could be as well.

Gav
-24th January 2007, 08:39
Whats the best way to get to Pleasance from Tollcross, with a rather lagre fencing bag?

I don't go to that area of town normally.

You really don't know? Try maps.google.com or live.local.com as they will give you an A-Z view.

Basically you walk down from the pleasance towards the royal mile, cross left at the lights into the cowgate and walk to the grassmarket. Keep going straight through the grassmarket and walk up the west port (it's a street). When you get to the "pubic triangle" walk past the strip bars (no I am not kidding), along Bread street, past the Point hotel till you come to Lothian Road. Take a left and Tollcross is a little way up. There are alternative routes but that one is the most straightforward to relate.

And when I was at Uni the beginners tournament was never held on a week day. I would be ... surprised to find that it was on during the week.

Asprin
-24th January 2007, 09:18
I know where Pleasance is, I was asking is there is a bus there.

Gav
-24th January 2007, 10:16
You didn't mention buses in that comment but ...

You could always try www.lothianbuses.co.uk?

To the best of my knowledge (and I live in the area) there are no cross town buses that do that. You would have to get to princes street and then get another bus from there. There are buses that cross the meadows (not that far from pleasance as you know) but I would refer to lothian buses for a note of their time.

To be honest you might be as quick walking - it's not that far.

scottishsabreur
-24th January 2007, 11:02
It's ok. Turns out the President of Heriot Watt's sports union is just a bit dense and they are in fact hosting the competition on the 10th & 11th February.

pqg
-24th January 2007, 12:01
It's ok. Turns out the President of Heriot Watt's sports union is just a bit dense and they are in fact hosting the competition on the 10th & 11th February.
If that's true it's highly annoying to say the least. I have a class of beginners at Edinburgh Uni who are expecting it on the 3rd/4th as SASF originally scheduled. I even cancelled my plans to do the Slough Open (which is not accepting late entries this year, so I can't go now) in order to be there for them. What's more I've already booked flights to do the East of Ireland Open in Dublin on the 10th/11th. :(

Marcos
-24th January 2007, 13:30
bring the begginers to dublin !

Asprin
-24th January 2007, 15:19
To be honest you might be as quick walking - it's not that far.
But my bag is awkward and heavy.

And I'm a lazy student.

Gav
-24th January 2007, 15:39
And I'm a lazy student.

You said it - not me...

;)

Asprin
-24th January 2007, 15:51
Its true though.

Any news on when the beginner form is coming out?

Phoenix
-24th January 2007, 16:11
I received an e-mail today informing me that the form is going to be e-mailed out either today or tomorrow.

Bambi
-24th January 2007, 16:25
Who did you get this email from?? Ive not had anything emailed about beginners or individuals.

Might be an idea for Edinbugh to email the club captains the entry forms or to andy incase they aren't on the forum and dont get noticed.

On a side note scottish student teams is being held on the 17th and 18th of March up in the sunny city of Aberdeen. I'll have the entry forms out by the end of feb.

Also if any clubs need breeches I have the pile of sasf breeches, its 3 a day hire. I'll send out an email later to captains about it.

twohappyhippos
-24th January 2007, 17:15
Who did you get the e-mail from re the beginners? I think it may just be easier perhaps to enter people on the day?

Edinburgh Uni doesn't personally have all of the Scottish Unis thats why I put the indivduals entry form and info on here and hence plea for you to pass it on to anyone!!! I am trying really hard to contact clubs but with no e-mail addresses its proving to be a tad difficult! I would get the e-mail addys off Andy however his computer has broken so he has no contact details either.

Pointless
-24th January 2007, 22:07
Do you have the QMU address? If not, I can provide :)

twohappyhippos
-25th January 2007, 02:50
I have zero e-mail addys so any contributions would be greatly appreciated and I'll forward the info that I have on to all the clubs! Thanks muchly in advance!

Bambi
-25th January 2007, 13:01
I have the list so will email it out to the clubs.

MakeTradeFair
-25th January 2007, 15:57
cheers bambi.

Asprin
-25th January 2007, 16:11
Does this mean the form (for the beginners) is coming out soon?

twohappyhippos
-25th January 2007, 16:22
Bambi, you will get a massive hug next time I see you!!! Thanks so so much.

Asprin - I don't know. If MakeTradeFair sends them out then yes you will!!!

Asprin
-27th January 2007, 18:27
People appear to be applying via http://forum.hwfencing.com/viewtopic.php?t=54 it does require you to register with the site though.
(http://forum.hwfencing.com/viewtopic.php?t=54)

nealmichie
-28th January 2007, 13:35
Only Heriot-Watt students should enter through our forum. Everyone else should be receiving details through their club. The entry forms went out to the clubs last week, so expect them soon.

The date is the 10th/11th. Men's foil, women's epee and women's sabre on Saturday, reversed on Sunday. The 3rd/4th date was always only preliminary. I can't find the e-mail from SASF, but the dates' e-mail is normally qualified with a "dates to be confirmed by clubs" or similar. We'd have liked to have it on the 3rd and 4th too; but even way back in September, the hall had already been booked by someone else.

As for getting out to HWU. The 25 runs from Waverly and Haymarket stations every 10 minutes or so on Saturdays, it's still fairly regular on Sundays; but as already mentioned check the Lothian Buses website for details.

--
Neal
Heriot-Watt Non-Student Rep

Asprin
-28th January 2007, 14:06
Which building is it at?

nealmichie
-28th January 2007, 14:24
It's the centre for sport and exercise. Which is just across the road from the the main bus stop.

twohappyhippos
-28th January 2007, 21:09
Only Heriot-Watt students should enter through our forum. Everyone else should be receiving details through their club. The entry forms went out to the clubs last week, so expect them soon.

--
Neal
Heriot-Watt Non-Student Rep

mmm really? I know for a fact that Edinburgh Uni has got zero entry forms. Any chance you could send them out again? Or something?! Thanks!

nealmichie
-29th January 2007, 18:49
mmm really? I know for a fact that Edinburgh Uni has got zero entry forms. Any chance you could send them out again? Or something?! Thanks!

I've just chased this up, and apparently it's been sent to someone at Edinburgh - I'm not sure who. He says he'll try to send it again; but just in case, I've put the entry form on the Heriot-Watt forum. The details are in the announcements section. I would post the link here but "To be able to post links your post count must be 10 or greater. Your post count is 2 momentarily." If someone would be kind enough to post a link to the document, thankyou.

Neal

Asprin
-29th January 2007, 19:44
http://forum.hwfencing.com/documents/BeginnersEntryForm.pdf.

Here is the link.

Pointless
-30th January 2007, 21:45
Our captain had one tonight so looks like at least some have been sent out.

Phoenix
-5th February 2007, 17:19
Does anybody know where on Princes Street does the 25 leave from? The route map is not that specific!

Alternatively would is be easier to get the bus from Haymarket Station?

Asprin
-5th February 2007, 19:07
Waverly station/outside princes mall.

Bambi
-5th February 2007, 23:38
Does anyone know of anywhere the aberdeen lot can stay?? been looking for youth hostels but they all seem to be fully booked!!! All we require is a floor and possibly a pillow. if you know of such a place could you please pm or let me know.

Cheers

twohappyhippos
-6th February 2007, 10:43
For which comp? Beginners or indivduals? For the beginners I can put a few up - got two lovely sofas and lots of floor space, but no can do for the indivduals.

Bambi
-6th February 2007, 14:39
its for the beginners. got six in total comming down, although two may possibly stay with friends. if you can put us up that would be fantastic. let me know asap.

cheers

twohappyhippos
-6th February 2007, 16:08
of course I can - no need to worry as long as people do know that it is the floor....Friday and Saturday no problemo.

Asprin
-6th February 2007, 22:21
Have people sent their forms in for the beginners yet?

Pointless
-6th February 2007, 22:44
I believe the QM ones are being posted all together tomorrow.
Am I right in saying, on the behalf of one of our fencers, that SF membership can be got on the day of beginners?

Asprin
-6th February 2007, 23:13
In theory, it does say that on the form.

Pointless
-7th February 2007, 08:00
Really? I was told it did say so on the individuals one, but not on the beginners one, though I know you could do last year.

scottishsabreur
-7th February 2007, 08:02
Does anybody know where on Princes Street does the 25 leave from? The route map is not that specific!

Alternatively would is be easier to get the bus from Haymarket Station?

I've had a look on google and it's quicker and easier to get teh train to Haymarket.

Bambi
-7th February 2007, 14:49
You will be able to get membership on the day. As treasurer of sasf it will no doubt be one of the many jobs i do this weekend.

Pointless
-7th February 2007, 19:49
Heh, the poor general dogsbody then? :D
I'm currently in the process of looking through piles that haven't been moved since intersection in my hunt for my card...one of these days I'll learn to keep it in my walley :upset:

Pointless
-8th February 2007, 22:40
Finally found my reciept for SF membership - panic averted!
Still not actually had a sabre match to prepare me (don't think I've had one since November actually) but oh well...

Phoenix
-11th February 2007, 19:26
Big thanks from everyone from GUFC! All my beginners remarked upon how friendly everyone was and how much they enjoyed themselves. The Shiney-Cheese Sandwiches were much appreciated!

Roll on next week. Oh yes. Mmm mmm.

Pointless
-11th February 2007, 21:59
There were shiny cheese sandwiches? :eek: Curse my foresight in bringing naan bread (enough for two days which seemed to vanish in ten minutes when the rest of our mob saw it) and choccie digestives!
Muchos thanks to all involved! :):not_worth

Twisted_Sabreur
-12th February 2007, 09:15
So when do the results come out to allow suitable praising of the winners?

Skartha
-12th February 2007, 13:10
A competition of much excellence, and some good perfs from assorted Queen Margaret folk. Many thanks to all present, even if you couldn't be bothered watching the Men's Sabre final ;)

Pointless
-12th February 2007, 13:15
If I wasn't watching the last few rounds of mens sabre, it was because I was getting too worked up! I get more into watching the guys fight than I do with my own!
I don't think I could even hold a weapon today - owwww!

twohappyhippos
-13th February 2007, 15:52
Well done to everyone who took part - loved the mens foil final. A tad tense!!!! Got a sneaky feeling that the badminton players hate us.

Just to clear up any confusion about check in times for the indivduals this weekend. The times on the info sheet are the closing times e.g. mens foil check in will close at 9:30.

See you all on Saturday!!!!

Skartha
-13th February 2007, 17:42
Can people recommend the best route for getting to the Individuals venue? (useful buses and so forth) It's not a part of the city that I know.

pqg
-13th February 2007, 20:00
Can people recommend the best route for getting to the Individuals venue? (useful buses and so forth) It's not a part of the city that I know.
See the thread on the Edinburgh Satellite which is in the same venue 3 weeks later.

MakeTradeFair
-17th February 2007, 23:41
Results from Saturday:

Mens Foil
1st Christoph Schulz (St Andrew)
2nd James Loggie (St Andrews)
3rd Jamie Sala (Aberdeen)
3rd Sebastian Schulz (St Andrews)
5th Micheal Caldwell (Aberdeen)

Girls Sabre
1st Lis Gernard (Edinburgh)
2nd Laura Brough (Scumdee)
3rd Margaret Lee (Edinburgh)

Girls Epee
1st Charlotte Wilson (St Andrews)
2nd Kat Gracey (St Andrews)
3rd Susanna Bukala (Scumdee)

So far... a bit of a walkover from St Andrews...

IMPORTANT NOTE: Scottish Student Team Announced Tomorrow!!

Lucan
-18th February 2007, 09:18
First Day Winners (http://www.tulbol.demon.co.uk/SSL20231.JPG)

James
-18th February 2007, 12:37
Few images from yesterday.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/393985916_dd04759864.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/393985641_f16939f64c.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/393985250_763b92d141.jpg?v=0

Lucan
-18th February 2007, 15:06
Images from yesterday.
http://www.tulbol.demon.co.uk/1.jpg

scottishsabreur
-19th February 2007, 07:55
Results from Saturday:

Mens Foil
1st Christoph Schulz (St Andrew)
2nd James Loggie (St Andrews)
3rd Jamie Sala (Aberdeen)
3rd Sebastian Schulz (St Andrews)
5th Micheal Caldwell (Aberdeen)

Girls Sabre
1st Lis Gernard (Edinburgh)
2nd Laura Brough (Scumdee)
3rd Margaret Lee (Edinburgh)

Girls Epee
1st Charlotte Wilson (St Andrews)
2nd Kat Gracey (St Andrews)
3rd Susanna Bukala (Scumdee)

So far... a bit of a walkover from St Andrews...

IMPORTANT NOTE: Scottish Student Team Announced Tomorrow!!

Strathclyde!!! - Ladies Sabre Jennifer McMillan 3rd
Men's Epee Kevin Laithier-sumzan 3rd

Phoenix
-19th February 2007, 09:36
Thank you to everyone at the Individuals for making it a good one! I really enjoyed myself on Saturday then subsequently forgot how to fence on Sunday. Oh well!

Also, thank you to everyone who supported GUFC fencers; they really appreciated it.

On another note, my beginners who went to the competition last week are wondering if the results could be posted so they know their final rankings?

Thanks!

Bambi
-19th February 2007, 12:38
Scottish Student Teams 17th/18th March 2007 Aberdeen University

Entry forms will be emailed to captains this evening

Pointless
-19th February 2007, 13:26
Yay, we were talking yesterday about trying to get a girly team in for that at least (provided we can poke a third person into a sabre lame)

Full results for beginners and individuals would be very handy if anyone has them - we'll hopefully stick ours in the uni paper again, along with a couple of photos taken by the lovely Aspirin.

And as a side-effect, I'm a bit less confused as to who you all are now!

fitch
-19th February 2007, 22:50
On another note, my beginners who went to the competition last week are wondering if the results could be posted so they know their final ranking

This one?

http://forum.hwfencing.com/documents/beginners2007/results.html

Phoenix
-20th February 2007, 12:02
Thanks very much! They'll be pleased with that.

EUFC
-24th February 2007, 19:36
The Results from last weekend's SASF Individuals Championship can be found on the EUFC microsite eufc.org.uk/node/34 (please put a www infront of the link - fencingforum won't let me post the link properly so apologies for that)

Congratulations to all the medal winners and St Andrews for winning the overall title. See you all in Aberdeen for the Teams!

madfencer
-24th February 2007, 19:43
For the benefit of forumites who need the link:

www.eufc.org.uk/node/34

nessyfencer
-26th February 2007, 12:52
Did anyone find a very smelly, allstar fencing glove in their bag when they got home from the individuals?

It is possible that whoever ended up with my glove as a stow-a-way would probably die from being in the same room as my glove. Therefore, if any fencers have gone missing since the comp they should probably be checked up on as they are probably lying, rotting somewhere. If you do find your dead friend, please have a look for my glove :)

madfencer
-26th February 2007, 13:24
Did anyone find a very smelly, allstar fencing glove in their bag when they got home from the individuals?

It is possible that whoever ended up with my glove as a stow-a-way would probably die from being in the same room as my glove. Therefore, if any fencers have gone missing since the comp they should probably be checked up on as they are probably lying, rotting somewhere. If you do find your dead friend, please have a look for my glove :)

Baffles me how you really want it back if it's in that state! :rolling:

Sorry, wasn't there so can't have it (unless it miraculously teleported into my bag?!).

D'Artignan
-26th February 2007, 13:54
Are you sure it didn't crawl off on its own? Mine did that at the Busa qualifiers, and came back clean. That's what I call a well-trained glove.:cool:

scottishsabreur
-26th February 2007, 15:35
Are you sure it didn't crawl off on its own? Mine did that at the Busa qualifiers, and came back clean. That's what I call a well-trained glove.:cool:

D'Artignan, that only happens when the lovely ladies at Strathclyde can no longer put up with the smell of your glove in their lovely clean kit cupboard ;p

D'Artignan
-26th February 2007, 15:38
D'Artignan, that only happens when the lovely ladies at Strathclyde can no longer put up with the smell of your glove in their lovely clean kit cupboard ;pBut...my glove smelled of roses*....:upset:

*severely decayed roses.

nessyfencer
-26th February 2007, 20:03
Baffles me how you really want it back if it's in that state! :rolling:

Sorry, wasn't there so can't have it (unless it miraculously teleported into my bag?!).

Erm... cause new gloves cost cash.

madfencer
-26th February 2007, 21:31
Erm... cause new gloves cost cash.

Very true but they don't cost that much! I'm sure there'll be some fencer at your club who'll be willing to lend you the money to get a new one if they have to put up with that smell all the time at training! :rolling: