PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a sabre mask and foil with it?

reposte
-17th September 2003, 22:43
Since I'm considering starting sabre in the coming years emphasis on "considering" meaning not sure whether or when , should I, as a foilist, buy a sabre mask and fence foil with it, not knowing when will I start fencing sabre?
How long will it be to the point the sabre mask's bib's ruined?
The matter is raised of course as an economy issue, hoping to avoid buying an additional mask when I start with sabre and not having enough money to buy a bib removable mask now.

Rdb811
-17th September 2003, 23:05
I have fenced epee in a sabre mask without too much wear and tear (to avoid lugging two masks around).

The problem with fencing foil in a sabre mask should be when the lame on the bib makes contact with the foil lame and increases the target area. I fenced sabre in borrowed masks when I was starting off - I'd just get a foil mask first. (or one with a changeable bib).

sparkymark567
-17th September 2003, 23:07
There are couple of things you should note here.

When you start fencing sabre it probably won't be electric, so you won't need an electric sabre mask.

Also, you definitely don't want to be using an electric sabre mask if you also plan to fence electric foil. This would make hits to your mask register as on target.

Otherwise, if the mask your planning to buy is not electric, then it shouldn't make much difference if you use the sabre mask in foil. Sometimes the sabre masks have a rubber band around them, rather than an elastic one.
The rubber band is designed to be hit so it's what you need to practise sabre, otherwise the mask could get damaged. This will make no difference in foil, i.e. it will be fine.

sparkymark567
-17th September 2003, 23:08
RdB811, you beat me too it by seconds.

Rdb811
-17th September 2003, 23:18
Arf, arf - probably the only time I'll be quicker off the mark all season.

Fencing sabre doesn't do much for the coating on non sabre masks.

sparkymark567
-17th September 2003, 23:22
I just looked at the LP shop webpage. The only sabre mask I could find was one specifically designed for electric sabre. You don't want to be using this one for electric foil.

Also, most people use a normal mask to practise sabre, so that their electric one in kept in fully working order.

Moose
-17th September 2003, 23:37
If you look carefully you should find a 3 weapon mask...

reposte
-18th September 2003, 04:48
The replies seem to contrast with what I know so far: Several months ago a very good fencer came to our club to fence and brought a sabre mask along. I asked him astonished why is he using a sabre mask and was told that if the mask is not connected to the lame by wire it will not conduct and therefor the target area is the same as in regular foil mask.
How does that correspond with the postings so far?

If you look carefully you should find a 3 weapon mask...
Not with the major brands I think.

tigger
-18th September 2003, 09:20
If you're fencing electric you need a conductive mask. if you're training, having a lesson or doing freplay off the box, then obviously it makes no difference. I use club masks for foil/epee ;) I use my sabre mask all the time (even for giving lessons) and so far with the LP xchange mask I'm on my second bib after over 1 year of training, coaching and competitions. (not bad as they only cost about 20).

reposte
-18th September 2003, 09:21
Can I, or can I not use electric foil with a sabre mask if I don't attach the mask wire?

Peanut_UK
-18th September 2003, 09:49
No - the lame on the bib will contact your lame jacket, making the mask part of the target area most of the time but not always... you cannot use an electric sabre mask for electric foil without making your head and bib part of the target most of the time.

A mask wire is used in sabre to ensure that the mask is part of the target at all times.

You can buy non-electric bibs for the Paul X-change system. That will help, although there's still the possibility of moisture in the bib connecting the lame jacket to the conductive mask, completing the circuit, and making you head target again.

the best bet is, I'm afraid, to get yourself a foil/epee mask as has been suggested, then fork out on the electric sabre kit once you've decided sabre's your thing!

Rdb811
-18th September 2003, 11:46
Sod's Law indicates that the sabre lame bib will only connect with the jacket only when it is 14-14 in a DE.

Moose
-18th September 2003, 13:01
Originally posted by reposte
Not with the major brands I think.

if you have a look here (http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Club_Competition_Range__76.html) you'll fine that LP make a 3 weapon mask...

reposte
-18th September 2003, 19:44
I never buy non FIE masks and advise all adult fencers to do the same.
And I need electrical, not steam. ta anyway.

Moose
-18th September 2003, 20:28
Heh, well you did ask :tongue:

I agree with the buying of FIE masks however.

Rdb811
-18th September 2003, 23:36
Originally posted by reposte
I never buy non FIE masks and advise all adult fencers to do the same.
And I need electrical, not steam. ta anyway.

This implies you don't need to ecomonis ethat badly, then.

reposte
-19th September 2003, 11:48
On the contrary, since I only buy FIE masks as a matter of resolution, and since I have very limited resources, I need to economize.
I have so far had only one mask, FIE foil.