View Full Version : European Cadet Championships - March 07

Hassan
-22nd December 2006, 09:25
For information.

European Fencing Confederation
Confédération Européenne d’Escrime
Information Letter no. 29-2006
Dear Member Federations,

As a follow up to our last information letter I want to inform you about a few details for the 1st European Cadet Championships 2007 in Novi Sad (SRB).

The EFC/CEE COMEX agreed to the following schedule:

06.03.2007 Arrival of delegations, weapon control, meetings
07.03.2007 Men’s foil, women’s épée – Individual
08.03.2007 Men’s épée, women’s sabre – Individual
09.03.2007 Men’s sabre, women’s foil – Individual
10.03.2007 Men’s foil, women’s épée, women’s sabre – Team
11.03.2007 Men’s épée, women’s foil, men’s sabre – Team

Each delegation can bring 4 fencers per weapon. Referees have to be with the teams according the following rule: 1 or 2 fencers = no referee; 3 or 4 fencers = 1 referee; 5 and more fencers = 2 referees. No transparent masks are required for sabre!

In the near future you will find more details on a special website of the Serbian Fencing Federation and also on our website with regard to hotel accommodation, transport, etc. Please be a little more patient.

With my best regards,
Max W.F. Geuter
General Secretary

Boo Boo
-22nd December 2006, 11:34
Fantastic! When is GBR selecting it's team? Are we going to send a full team of 4 for each weapon?

Boo

Stephen Chivers
-13th January 2007, 08:42
When is GBR selecting it's team?Does anybody have any news about the teams, travel arrangements and costs yet?

Jan O'C
-13th January 2007, 16:29
Does anybody have any news about the teams, travel arrangements and costs yet?

I think I heard somewhere that selection is 4th February but I may be wrong.

Bonehead
-13th January 2007, 19:03
I think I heard somewhere that selection is 4th February but I may be wrong.

I understand that the foil selection is after Ferrara (WF) and Koblenz (MF) which I think coud have both been on........ this weekend?.

Not sure about the other weapons.

Foilling Around
-13th January 2007, 20:31
I understand that the foil selection is after Ferrara (WF) and Koblenz (MF) which I think coud have both been on........ this weekend?.

Not sure about the other weapons.

Ferrara was last Friday - details elsewhere and we now now who will be invited (though it needs to be ratified.

Koblenz is on 27 January

Stressed
-16th January 2007, 11:01
I understand that unlike the worlds, where things are organised centraly, for the Europeans the weapons are making individual arrangments. There will be no over all team manager.

Boys Cadet Epee intend to take a team of 4 based on their World's Selection ranking list after Dinant.

Top 4 are Jonathan May, Gareth Thomas, Lloyd Jefferson and Chris Hay with Ben White as the first alternative.

However in reality the team will be the top 4 who can get a week of School and can afford the trip. (Flights were £175 if you booked last Thursday).

Neil Brown
-20th January 2007, 23:30
No longer true.

I will be overall team manager for this event, details for the fencers & coaches will be up at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net) in a few days.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Neil Brown
-24th January 2007, 15:50
Details for British fencers are now up at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net)

Selected fencers should read all the information carefully & return their forms in the next few days.

Contact me if any questions.

Jan O'C
-24th January 2007, 16:35
Gosh Neil, what a very large amount of information to absorb all in one go :-) So here are some quick questions - asked on here in case other people would like to know the answers too.
1) Are you the Sabre Team Captain?
2) I am assuming from your info that I will need to buy Grace a silver lame and a silver mask (clearly her current red ones won't do) - correct? When they say all members of the team must have the same colour lame, how does the LP lightweight one compare to say, the LP or Allstar normal one? Basically they are totally different colours. In which case how do I know which one to buy - can the sabre team captain please advise asap!
3) Last point, please advise days of travel for WS asap as I would like to go and watch Grace but need to miss the minimum amount of time off of work as poss. I think WS in Thurs and Sat but you may know otherwise.
Thanks as always.

Foilling Around
-24th January 2007, 17:10
I am going to try to coordinate the WF girls so I have been thinking about this lot as well Jan.

If I remember correctly from Catriona in Korea, a standard silver Lame and a LP lightweight were ok as being the same colour at the beginning of the week, but they were not allowed by the end of the week.

I think you have the best timings for missing least work.
Travel out on Wed 7th
WS Ind on Thurs 8th
WS Team on Sat 10th
Tavel home on Sun 11th

3 days off work - land Heathrow by 3pm on the Sunday.

I think we should all say thanx to Neil as without him we may not have been able to send a team.

Jan O'C
-24th January 2007, 18:03
OK, thanks for that Rob.
Neil, can we ask you to check that for us so that we can make sure all 4 girls have the same lame. I think Flic has LP lightweight, Sophie has silver and Jess has both - I would prefer to get Allstar silver but obviously I'll bow to the majority decision, just let me know asap please because Grace has to have an extra long one and it may take time to get!
The consent forms come back to you, right?
And yes, Rob is quite right. Huge thanks for taking this on, we all really appreciate it.

Foilling Around
-24th January 2007, 18:09
OK, thanks for that Rob.
Neil, can we ask you to check that for us so that we can make sure all 4 girls have the same lame. I think Flic has LP lightweight, Sophie has silver and Jess has both - I would prefer to get Allstar silver but obviously I'll bow to the majority decision, just let me know asap please because Grace has to have an extra long one and it may take time to get!
The consent forms come back to you, right?
And yes, Rob is quite right. Huge thanks for taking this on, we all really appreciate it.

Who is Rob?!

Boo Boo
-24th January 2007, 18:16
Who is Rob?!

:grin: :whistle: :grin:

Boo

Jan O'C
-24th January 2007, 19:02
Who is Rob?!

Huge apologies! I am quite the world's worst with names - how do you think my students feel? It is not ideal when a tutor doesn't do names. Let's try again shall we? 'Thanks Paul' - if I've got it wrong again just shoot me or put me in a corner and leave me there (preferably with a glass of wine).

Jan O'C
-24th January 2007, 19:05
p.s. I've just noticed that your name is under your Forum Name - ok so there was no excuse for getting it wrong 1st time. Forgive me anyway and if you're in Novi whateveritscalled, I'll buy you a beer to make up for it!

Neil Brown
-24th January 2007, 22:49
The days for the travel are on the spreadsheet, flights are held. WS travel out on the Wednesday & back on the Sunday.

Last year in Korea I spent literally hours trying to sort out the various colours of the lame jackets. I spent quite a lot of this time showing FIE officials who were running to event 2 LP jackets, 1 lightweight & 1 standard & trying to persuade them that they were the same colour! (Which they're clearly not.) I eventually succeeded & these were allowed, Barry Paul was involved as well.

Here is the information I've just put on the info document:-
"All fencers in any weapon (e.g. men’s foil) must have the same colour kit (i.e. electric jackets, clothing with coloured panels & masks must be the same for all fencers in any weapon). After very lengthy discussions I had last year at the junior & cadet world championships in Korea with all the relevant FIE officials & 2 manufacturers this was interpreted as: Leon Paul or PBT lightweight material is officially the same colour as the standard silver as sold by most manufacturers, i.e. the colour is happenstance because of the material, it’s not dyed to be a different colour. If a fencer has a jacket which is dyed, e.g. blue or pink, they must be the same for all fencers in that weapon. We can only assume this is the rule that will be applied at these championships.

It’s worth pointing out that at these championships the FIE & the organisers lost the will to enforce these rules after about 5 days when everyone got a bit tired, about the same day the weapon control didn’t actually get round to checking any of the body wires for the junior women’s foil."

Have a look at the photo of the MS team final, would not have been allowed at weapon control for the first few days: http://neilbrown.50g.com/rusukrkorea.jpg

What is important about the LP leightweight jackets is the name printing is ofter too feint to pass the control. If you 've got one of these you should take a dark blue marker pen with you.

Neil Brown
-24th January 2007, 23:12
Latest details up again, fencers will not need to pay for a tracksuit if they need one.

British Fencing will also pay for the 2 referees we need to send to the event.

Foilling Around
-24th January 2007, 23:14
Huge apologies! I am quite the world's worst with names - how do you think my students feel? It is not ideal when a tutor doesn't do names. Let's try again shall we? 'Thanks Paul' - if I've got it wrong again just shoot me or put me in a corner and leave me there (preferably with a glass of wine).

Don't worry Jan, I get called worse than that everyday at school. And I personally still don't know all the names of the students I teach, especially the ones I see for 1 hour a week. Unfortunately I won't be in Novi Sad.

Neil Brown
-24th January 2007, 23:29
p.s. I've just noticed that your name is under your Forum Name - ok so there was no excuse for getting it wrong 1st time. Forgive me anyway and if you're in Novi whateveritscalled, I'll buy you a beer to make up for it!

Jan, you can buy me a beer instead, my name's not Rob either.

I am the weapon captain for sabre, when we get to Serbia Norman is the weapon coach & I am overall team manager (but I will have my kit with me as well as suit & computer).

Please everybody obviously read all the info documents carefully but don't be paranoid if the answers to your questions appear in the document. I try and answer each question with updated information on the principle that if it's not clear to one it's not clear to others who don't ask.

Jan O'C
-25th January 2007, 09:06
Paul (aka Rob) - sorry you won't be there, catch you some other time.
Neil, as always I shall be delighted to buy you a beer when we get there - certainly its the least you deserve for all the hard work you put in. I shall buy Grace a silver lame then.

madfencer
-25th January 2007, 09:50
Sounds silly but where do the Channel Islands stand on this? Can the Channel Islands enter as a seperate 'nation' to GB or even Guernsey and Jersey as seperate 'nations' to GB?

Baldric
-25th January 2007, 10:37
Sounds silly but where do the Channel Islands stand on this? Can the Channel Islands enter as a seperate 'nation' to GB or even Guernsey and Jersey as seperate 'nations' to GB?

I'm pretty sure that they would just count as being part of GB. The FIE doesn't even recognise England as a separate country, it would be a bit bizzarre to recognise the channel islands.

Neil Brown
-25th January 2007, 10:51
You can see a list of member countries of the EFC on their web site: http://www.eurofencing.info/EfcEng/defaultE.htm

The Channel Islands are part of the UK.

Red
-25th January 2007, 12:11
Taking UK in it's long form of United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland - which confusingly, in the IOC's eyes, is shortened to Great Britain....

madfencer
-25th January 2007, 14:44
I'm pretty sure that they would just count as being part of GB. The FIE doesn't even recognise England as a separate country, it would be a bit bizzarre to recognise the channel islands.

Thanks Baldric, helpful as always! :grin: (not that i'm a suck up of course)

rugmike
-28th January 2007, 13:16
Just seen pictures from Poland Ice wotsits 2day - LOTS of snow.
Can't find allas - how far from Serbia ?!

Foilling Around
-28th January 2007, 16:20
Save me looking any further, anyone any idea about Serbia currency?

The post office website lists the Costa Rican Colon and the Brunai Ringit but makes no mention of Serbia.

Bonehead
-28th January 2007, 16:40

The post office website lists the Costa Rican Colon and the Brunai Ringit but makes no mention of Serbia.

I see that the hotels listed in the official tounament site all quote prices in euros.

rugmike
-28th January 2007, 17:06

Dinars, I think - look at the vast reams of notes from official w/site, plus Neil's notes.
Can't be changed back in UK. Seems some confusion here

Baldric
-28th January 2007, 17:18

http://moneyinserbia.netfirms.com/

Might help.

B

Neil Brown
-29th January 2007, 15:35
Latest details are now up.

British Fencing will supply tracksuits at no charge to all 24 fencers.

Leon Paul are giving 20% discount to all selected fencers. Details of the bags & holdalls will be in the info document when I know them.

Jan O'C
-29th January 2007, 15:51
Latest details are now up.

British Fencing will supply tracksuits at no charge to all 24 fencers.

Leon Paul are giving 20% discount to all selected fencers. Details of the bags & holdalls will be in the info document when I know them.

Neil,

Thank you for your help with all of this. Makes sense that if you get a free tracksuit for these championships and you go to the Worlds, you won't get another one.

Neil Brown
-29th January 2007, 20:38
Details of the discounted kit & bags offered by Leon Paul are now on the information document.

Note your orders must be with them by 5th Feb.

PM1
-31st January 2007, 22:54
Order form for t shirts, polos and beanie going up tomorrow, I hope - sending it to Neil tonight :)

Neil Brown
-31st January 2007, 23:05
Thanks.

Latest hotel & flight information now up.

Neil Brown
-1st February 2007, 11:00
The order form for t-shirts, polo shirts & beanies is now on the information document.

This form has to be with Maggie by the 10th Feb.

Remember Leon Paul orders for bags & holdalls or discounted equipment need to be with them by the 5th Feb.

Glue Boy
-1st February 2007, 13:30
I can't open the Polo Shirts and t-shirts file on the website...

is this just me?

Jan O'C
-1st February 2007, 14:12

is this just me?

No, coz I can't open it either!!

PM1
-1st February 2007, 14:17

is this just me?

I can't either...:upset: I'm just uprating info on it anyway, so folks can pm me before 6 tonight and i'll email it, or, I'm sure Neil will amend the fault when I've sent it back to him shortly !!:grin:

PM1
-1st February 2007, 14:48
OK....am now going to see if this technophobe can post the order form here (my info is available in several places on't internet already, so I get my fair share of spam) 548

Enjoy.....:grin:

Neil Brown
-1st February 2007, 15:12
Link is now fixed.

Hassan
-1st February 2007, 15:16
Does anybody know about the interest in this event from other European nations? I have visited the French, Italian, German and Russian Federation websites and there isn't a dicky bird about it (though it does appear on the German fencing calendar).

I think it is important that GB supports this inaugural event but I'd feel a lot better if we knew the top nations were also sending teams.

It's a long way to go, and a lot of expense for all concerned, just to end up fencing Serbs, Croats and fencers from other minor (fencing) nations (no offence intended).

Jan O'C
-1st February 2007, 15:24
Link is now fixed.

What super T Shirts - very attractive - order will be in post tomorrow. Why can't we order the hats too? It might be cold in Serbia!! Thanks Neil for getting the link working.

Jan O'C
-1st February 2007, 15:39
Does anybody know about the interest in this event from other European nations? I have visited the French, Italian, German and Russian Federation websites and there isn't a dicky bird about it (though it does appear on the German fencing calendar).

I think it is important that GB supports this inaugural event but I'd feel a lot better if we knew the top nations were also sending teams.

It's a long way to go, and a lot of expense for all concerned, just to end up fencing Serbs, Croats and fencers from other minor (fencing) nations (no offence intended).

This is a fair comment and it would be useful to know, but we went all the way to India basically for the kids to fence each other - however they had a great time and it was important (as you say) to support it.

PM1
-1st February 2007, 17:01
What super T Shirts - very attractive - order will be in post tomorrow. Why can't we order the hats too? It might be cold in Serbia!! Thanks Neil for getting the link working.

But you CAN order the hats...they are on the form !!! Got to keep heads snug......:thumbs_up

Jan O'C
-1st February 2007, 18:10
But you CAN order the hats...they are on the form !!! Got to keep heads snug......:thumbs_up

Don't laugh - Grace has just explained to me that a Beanie is a hat - I thought it was a cuddly little teddy thing! Ok so we're good to go now - it'll be in the post to you tomorrow and thanks for organising it all again.

kd5mdk
-1st February 2007, 19:02
With needle, thread and some cotton stuffing it still could be. ;)

PM1
-7th February 2007, 18:51
Close of play this weekend for orders for Euros kit. Here is the logo

And if anyone would like a nice warm blue fleece with said logo, £23 will get you one if you pm or email me by close of play this Saturday latest.

PM1
-7th February 2007, 19:37
....a fleecy gilet +logo £17.50. I'm concerned that you'll all die of cold !!!:eek: :eek:

Neil Brown
-14th February 2007, 00:24
British Fencing have just run out of medium & large tracksuits, stock was ordered in January but will not arrive until mid-March.

Please can all fencers check the hotel & travel details spreadsheet to make sure I've got the right information about a tracksuit against your name.

If you do not have a tracksuit you will need to borrow one for the championship & you will get your own whan they're back in stock.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you do not have a tracksuit & are unable to borrow one.

Neil Brown
-14th February 2007, 23:34
Latest information is now up.

Note:-
Changes to the regulations British Fencing has made for the GB stripes for epee fencers.
Flight details
Tracksuits are now not in stock with British Fencing. If you need a M or L tracksuit you will have to borrow one for this championships & you’ll get your own some time in March.
I’m arranging transport for any accompanying parents on the same flight as the main group, please contact me if you need this.

Quite a few of you have not returned your consent forms, told me you have travel insurance, or told me if you have a tracksuit. Please READ the hotel & travel details spreadsheet & make sure the information I have for you is correct.

Let me know if you’ve got any questions not answered in the information I have already posted.

PM1
-17th February 2007, 12:26
For all of you who have ordered t shirts etc from me, I have been advised by my supplier that they should reach me Friday next week. SO...I'll have them despatched by Royal Mail or Post Office or whatever it's called on the Monday I hope. (looking forward to another round of "Oooo...you an Ebayer then??" when I take them in :whistle: ) This should include the fleeces and gilets, but they may be a day or 2 later.

Will keep you informed :grin:

(and I owe an apology to Jo Maynard, as I haven't credited her with the logo design previously - ta Jo...nice one :thumbs_up )

PM1
-20th February 2007, 20:15
...to those who haven't paid for their kit yet. No dosh, no kit.

tigger
-21st February 2007, 10:10
Capitalist swine..

Yorkie
-21st February 2007, 10:17
PM1... Is that tough love or what?!!!:grin:

PM1
-21st February 2007, 19:27
.....my comment or Tiggers??? (I know you love me really:grin: )

I end up paying for the kit if no one else does (and little will fit me).....now, I know I'm full of love for my fellow wo/man, but even so.....:nanananan

BTW, I've ordered a beanie for mesen anyway :whistle:

Foilling Around
-21st February 2007, 19:38
BTW, I've ordered a beanie for mesen anyway :whistle:

Words fail me!

PM1
-21st February 2007, 19:59
Words fail me!

WHAT an achievement !!!!

(but the purchase was a dare....actually, it'll be the wearing that's the dare.....PSC for sure [even if only in the bowels of the Palace]):whistle:

Yorkie
-22nd February 2007, 09:36
I'm one of the new PSFC committee members so fencers aside the presence of the beanie should make 2007 a good'un! Nice one PM1! You taking the kids down again or you there for a few days out now boy has flown t'nest? Be great to see you again anyway... and the beanie of course!! :rolling:

PM1
-22nd February 2007, 23:02
I'm pure PSFC workhorse this year - no responsibility for Hull kids - yay!!! Boy may be down anyway, unless he knows I'm going to wear a beanie at any point within the vicinity of himself (when he will shake his head ruefully and disown me). Nothing new there, then.....:o:

STOP PRESS - the embroidered kit (i.e. not the sainted beanie) is now in various sized stacks in my living room, and looks good !! I shall commence packaging when I've had my cuppa. Some of you will receive goodies Saturday, it seems.....:thumbs_up

Neil Brown
-26th February 2007, 10:40
Accreditation for officials.

The event organisers have just told me there will be no limit on the numbers of officials that can get accreditation for this event.

This means that any parents who are travelling can be added to the list of officials if they wish. I need to submit the list by Tuesday so if anyone wants to do this must contact me by then.

Neil Brown
-27th February 2007, 10:40
It has now been decided that there will have to be an entry fee for this event. This will be paid today by British Fencing but each fencer will have to pay.
We only knew about this recently so these fees are not included in the invoice you've had (& hopefully paid) from British Fencing already.
Can I ask the 24 fencers to send a cheque to the British Fencing office for £16 to cover this.

Keith.A.Smith
-27th February 2007, 23:05
Dear All,

To make this clear. BFA is providing tracksuits for all the team and paying for the Team Manager and the two referees. I had hoped that the European Confederation would waive the ntry fees for thjis event as they have for the past European Championships but they decided not to do this for the cadets.

This event came up later than our budget and for this same reason some countries are not supporting this event.

However the good news is that we will be having a Junior Potential squad in the future which will provide some training and support for our cadets and currently the BFA Board has voted to give £10,000 to this squad and I am hoping to access further funds form another source.

Good luck to all our GBR team next week.

Keith

PM1
-28th February 2007, 00:42
The last of the kit ordered from me will be posted tomorrow except for one (late) order yet to be received by me from my supplier. All should be received by you by post on Saturday.

Thanks folks - hope you enjoy wearing it !!:grin: Let us see the photos :thumbs_up

May luck and good fortune go with you :not_worth :not_worth

Jan O'C
-28th February 2007, 08:36
Dear All,

To make this clear. BFA is providing tracksuits for all the team and paying for the Team Manager and the two referees. I had hoped that the European Confederation would waive the ntry fees for thjis event as they have for the past European Championships but they decided not to do this for the cadets.

This event came up later than our budget and for this same reason some countries are not supporting this event.

However the good news is that we will be having a Junior Potential squad in the future which will provide some training and support for our cadets and currently the BFA Board has voted to give £10,000 to this squad and I am hoping to access further funds form another source.

Good luck to all our GBR team next week.

Keith

Dear Keith,

Thank you for explaining this so clearly. I can't imagine that many will complain about an extra £16. Fantastic news about funding for the Cadets. Well done for securing this for the younger fencers.

Thanks also to PM1 for all her hard work with the kit.

Jan O'C

PM1
-28th February 2007, 21:12
Too kind ......:not_worth ...brings out the shopkeeper in me....:grin: :grin:

Now then....the following should have received their kit:
sent Saturday: Barwell, Davies, Honeybone, Mepstead, Ng, Sibert, Stilley

sent Tuesday: Haynes, Lewis, O'Connell, Rosowsky,Thomas

sent Wednesday: everyone else !!

Can you please let me know when you receive them? either pm or email me. All the Saturday stuff should have been received now; Tuesday's latest tomorrow/Friday; today's Friday/Saturday.

Ta :thumbs_up

Neil Brown
-1st March 2007, 08:51
Please note those of you travelling on the Wedensday need to find Norman Golding at Heathrow, he has the tickets for those of you booked by me.

Let me know if any last minute questions.

MRWFFC
-3rd March 2007, 21:15
I think the team (or some of them anyway) fly out on Monday, so time to wish the whole team GOOD LUCK!

Does anyone have a website for the event?

Neil Brown
-4th March 2007, 00:02
MF & WE teams fly out on Monday, the rest on Wednesday.

http://www.epkadetmac.org.yu (http://www.epkadetmac.org.yu)

Has a results & photos section, no idea how up-to-date this will be once the events start.

Those of you with an Orange phone should note the costs for using it in Serbia below. I haven't looked what the costs are on other networks.

Calls, outgoing £1.30 per minute, incoming 70p per minute
Texts, outgoing 40p each, incoming free
GPRS, £8 per Mb

MRWFFC
-4th March 2007, 09:24
Thanks Neil,

once again the very best of luck to all the British Team.

Keith.A.Smith
-4th March 2007, 21:52
Dear All,

I have already written to all the fencers so hope thay have received my letter.

I would also like to publicly wish very good luck to all the fencers, officials, coaches and parents and hope all have a very successful time in Serbia.

I look forward to hearing of GB successes.

Travel safely,

keith

Baldric
-4th March 2007, 22:39
Good luck guys! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

PM1
-4th March 2007, 23:35
Wear those beanies with pride !!:whistle:

Good luck and good fortune !!:grin: :grin:

rugmike
-5th March 2007, 11:43
Just a tip, also in "sabre" :-

European Cadet Teams to Serbia.- if you're going to Worlds as well !
To all sabreurs for Serbia - for some reason, the LP details re: bags etc.. for the Worlds didn't get to sabre (well, we didn't get 'em anyway). L.P. have said O.K. for orders up 'till Weds 7/3/07 ( just interrupt the Euro packing for a bit ! )- but you need to be quick, quick, QUICK !!
I think Janet is forwarding details today, should be in yer e-m's as we ..well, speak.

madfencer
-5th March 2007, 16:13
Good luck to them all! :grin:

(Sorry I didn't say well done earlier - was at the Nottingham Open getting my ar5e kicked)

Boo Boo
-6th March 2007, 16:26
Good luck to everyone going out to Serbia this week - hope that your hard work is rewarded and that you have a great time too :)

:mexwave:

Special wishes to the South West fencers on the team :thumbs_up

Boo

Neil Brown
-6th March 2007, 16:40
There’s a wireless network covering the hall so I’ve got email & internet here. My computer is a bit unreliable & I'm going to be very busy from tomorrow.

Usual first day chaos as the hall is being set up & various teams arrive with the wrong hotel bookings, fencers who are too old or not on the entry lists, etc.

We (listening to the arguments happening around us) seem to be pretty well-organised, hotel, entries, transport & payment are all correct. We’ve got another 26 people arriving tomorrow so there’s still room for chaos.

The venue is vast, dozens of shops & restaurants, bowling alley, football stadium, ice rink, 2 pools, kiddy play areas, 3 sports halls, offices, & all the fencing including the training pistes fits in one hall.

Organisers look too busy to update the web site at the moment, hopefully results will go up soon after they happen.

First event is WE, starting at 8 tomorow morning.

Jan O'C
-6th March 2007, 16:44
With you in charge, Neil, we would expect no less!
Looking forward to arriving tomorrow - venue sounds fantastic.
Good luck to Epee girlies for the morning and to the rest of the team as and when they compete.

MRWFFC
-6th March 2007, 17:12
Neil,

Thanks for the update. If you can log on to the forum sometimes during the event it would be good to get a little extra info about what is happening. Results on websites are good, but dont give the full story!

Please let the team know that everyone back home wishes them all the best.

Neil Brown
-7th March 2007, 08:42
WE first round just finished.

90 entries, 70 up out of the first round

Lawrence 5-0
Albini 3-2
Highton 3-2
Clark 2-3

DE fights are timetabled to start in 20 minutes.

madfencer
-7th March 2007, 08:53
Good luck to the girls in their DE's! Thank you for keeping us posted Neil, great job!

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 09:53
Isn't Neil GR8?

The official event website hasn't got any results up yet!

madfencer
-7th March 2007, 10:04
Isn't Neil GR8?

The official event website hasn't got any results up yet!

It sure was quick yea! I should think that the website will have results up after each round of DE's rather than after the poules aswell, otherwise they'll be updating it all day!

Neil Brown
-7th March 2007, 10:06
64 fights are done.

Corinna won comfortably, the other 3 lost.

Jade lost to Hungarian fencer 15-14, Liz lost to a Polish fencer & Sissi lost to a Norwegian after leading first part of the fight.

MF starts at 12 o'clock (11 UK time).

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 10:22
Thanks Neil,

A pity that 3 of the girls lost, especially Jade (15-14 is always hard to take). Lets hope Corinna can keep going and that the MF's can do well.

madfencer
-7th March 2007, 10:29
Well done to Corinna and commiserations to the others, especially Jade as that score will hurt :(

Good luck to the lads in the MF later!

Neil Brown
-7th March 2007, 10:54
Corinna just lost to a Russian fencer 15-14.

MF not started yet.

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 11:03
ARRGGHHH !! Lost 15 - bloody 14 again!!!! V bad luck Corinna.

MF should be starting about now so, come on boys and lets start winning those close ones!!

rugmike
-7th March 2007, 11:09
"Neil Brown, front-line war journalist, gives his take on the ongoing hostilities...."

Top job, Neil !

(The next wave is on its way from yere, and sabre, so the chaos is definitely about to hit !)

Red
-7th March 2007, 11:21
Both DEs at assault point - lost?!?! :upset:

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 12:22
MF poule result Jamie Fitz 3up 2 down. Don't know about the others, but I wanted to beat Neil to it:nanananan

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 12:37
Just heard Hussayn 2up 3down poule finished,

Peter and Marcus still fencing,

Peter 3up 2down with 1 to go

Marcus 3up 1 down with 2 to go

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 13:24
Latest news from MF

seeding after poules

Marcus 7th, Peter 24th, Jamie 31st & Hussayn 51st

Neil Brown
-7th March 2007, 13:28
Marcus 5-1
Peter 4-2
Jamie 3-2
Husayn 2-3

64 just about to start.

Boo Boo
-7th March 2007, 13:32
Latest news from MF

seeding after poules

Marcus 7th, Peter 24th, Jamie 31st & Hussayn 51st

Good luck to all of them :)

Boo

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 14:17
British luck not changing yet!!

Jamie Fitz just lost 14-15:mad:. The fight went into extra minute!

If this keeps up March 7th will be known as 14-15day from now on.

Lets hope the other three guys do better.

madfencer
-7th March 2007, 14:26
Ouch! Hard luck to Corinna, Jade and Jamie...all nailbiting fights there obviously!

Good luck to the rest of the Men's foilsts in their DEs today.

madfencer

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 14:27
Husayn also out 12-15, but................wait for it....................

Peter won 15-14!!!

Marcus also through but dont know the score.

madfencer
-7th March 2007, 14:56
Hard luck to Husayn but congrats to Peter and Marcus. Good luck to them both in the next round! I'm sure all our fencers are doing well and doing GBR proud :)

Neil Brown
-7th March 2007, 15:37
Marcus won his L32 fight, Peter lost to a German fencer 15-11.

All the 24 British fencers have now arrived safely.

madfencer
-7th March 2007, 16:12
Well done to Marcus and good luck to him in his Last 16 fight!

Glad all the fencers have now arrived safely.

Neil Brown
-7th March 2007, 16:23
Marcus just won his 16 fight, beat a French fencer 15-8.

Baldric
-7th March 2007, 16:24
Marcus just won his 16 fight, beat a French fencer 15-8.

GO MARCUS!

rugmike
-7th March 2007, 16:58
Blimey Neil, you aint half started something ! It's like Sky Sport on 8 channels at once, hardly a point gets missed !!
Mind you, HUGE step forward for finding out wots going on !!
Has the official site opened yet ? Who cares !
I haven't even bothered going there !

Glad to hear the whacky slashy types have made it - bags too ??

MRWFFC
-7th March 2007, 16:58
OK, just back from a fencing class to see the good news.

Well Done Marcus:dancefrui

madfencer
-7th March 2007, 18:01
WOW go Marcus! Into the last 8!! :mexwave: Hard luck to Peter though. I have to say that all the losses have been close though which is good!

madfencer

ps. Well done Neil, like it has been said, it is like a running commentary!

Keith.A.Smith
-7th March 2007, 19:23
Dear Neil,

Thanks for having these results coming thick and fast.

Have to look at home now as school changed web sense and Fencing Forum is now blocked out!!!

Any further results from today?

Keith

Neil Brown
-8th March 2007, 06:08
As most of you will now know Marcus finished in the last 8, lost his fight 15-13 . 2 Italians & 2 hungarians in the L4.

I will try & encourage the organisers to do somethng about the web results.

ME starts today at 8, WS at 12 (CET, 1 hour ahead of UK time).

Neil Brown
-8th March 2007, 08:54
ME results after the round.
Gareth 4-2
Jonathan 3-3
Lloyd 3-3
Chris 1-5

97 entries

Neil Brown
-8th March 2007, 09:19
Chris is out after the round. Jonathan has a 128 fight, the others are in the 64.

MRWFFC
-8th March 2007, 09:39
Looks like the official website will be a bit better today, but they still dont have the ME poule results up! So updates from Neil much appreciated.

Good Luck to all ME and WS today and a HUGE WELL DONE to Marcus for yesterday!

madfencer
-8th March 2007, 09:45
Good luck to all the fnecers today in their DE's! :grin:

MRWFFC
-8th March 2007, 11:16
According to the official website it looks like Jonathan went out in the L128 15-8 to an Austrian

Louis CB
-8th March 2007, 13:30
Gareth and Lloyd out in the 64.

Hard luck guys. Good luck at the Worlds.

Neil Brown
-8th March 2007, 14:03
Results are now going up on the web site, www.epkadetmac.org.yu (http://www.epkadetmac.org.yu) after I spoke to the organisers. They tell me every hour or so but it's several hours behind now.

WS. Grace, Felicity & Jessica all got through the round & lost in the 32, final placings not up yet, Harriet was 1 place off the first round cut so 33rd.

Keith.A.Smith
-8th March 2007, 15:30
Dear Neil,

Thanks for the update.

Rather more modest results today but plenty of days to go.
Good luck to all those left to fence and for the team events.

Keith

Neil Brown
-8th March 2007, 17:32
WF start at 8 tomorrow, MS at 12.

The web site is a bit late with results again but keep checking tomorrow.

I'll try & keep results here fairly up-to-date if the web site doesn't get updated.

Louis CB
-8th March 2007, 21:17
Please do - they appear to have broken their results page (it comes up as HTML).

Thanks for your updates. Much appreciated.

madfencer
-9th March 2007, 04:03
Thanks for the updates Neil - keep them coming :)

Like Keith said, rather more modest results today (erm...yesterday even!) but good luck to everyone fencing tomorrow (erm...today!)

Ok I give up, i'm going to bed now! :rolling:

Good luck to everyone,

madfencer

Foilling Around
-9th March 2007, 06:53
Help

Got to go to work, but school has blacklisted all forums

Catriona has lost her phone.

The event website is cr*p. The WE from yesterday is not complete.

They are due to start in 15 minutes.

If anyone anywhere hears any news can they email me or my mails will be bitten to the quick!!

rugmike
-9th March 2007, 08:28

That's a bit hard - the website is beautifully coloured in.

By the way - the bank response was quite funny to my enquiry as to the currency, etc..
A committee of 3 couldn't find it on their normal automated system, so a book was produced - and they told me the currency was the dinar, only available in Serbia - but " the de facto currency is the euro or the dollar ".
They seemed very offended at this un-professional approach to the World's fiscal arrangements.

Obviously never been to N. Africa.

Australian
-9th March 2007, 08:37
A committee of 3 couldn't find it on their normal automated system, so a book was produced - and they told me the currency was the dinar, only available in Serbia - but " the de facto currency is the euro or the dollar ".

Sounds very similar to my experiances in the west of the Ukraine. Upon hearing we had US Dollars they reopened the bank at 5pm on Sunday.

You've clearly never heard of soft currency. :)

Neil Brown
-9th March 2007, 08:52
WF round still going but all the British fencers are finished.

Liz 4-2
Catriona 2-3
Carolyn 1-4
Philippa 1-4

59 fencers with 46 up from the first round.

I wil see if I can get them to update the web site a bit quicker.

Bonehead
-9th March 2007, 09:44
All through to DE.

Liz 16th
Catriona 36th
Phillippa 45th
Carolyn 46th

Dan's Dad
-9th March 2007, 10:06
MS ??? Pliiiiizzz...

Neil Brown
-9th March 2007, 10:13
All the girls are now through to the 32. Liz had a bye.:)

Boys are warming up for the sabre.

(from a parent who is using Neil's laptop)

Baldric
-9th March 2007, 10:18

GO GIRLS!!!!!

(and thanks anonymous parent!) :thumbs_up

Australian
-9th March 2007, 10:19

Boys are warming up for the sabre.

Great job. Fantastic Effort!

Dan's Dad
-9th March 2007, 10:22
Thanks a lot.
Event website seems to go down

Australian
-9th March 2007, 10:23
Help

Got to go to work, but school has blacklisted all forums

Catriona has lost her phone.

They are due to start in 15 minutes.

If anyone anywhere hears any news can they email me or my mails will be bitten to the quick!!

Sent to your gmail address...

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 10:24
All the girls are now through to the 32.

GR8 stuff girls. Good luck in the L32

Dan's Dad
-9th March 2007, 10:41
Dear anonymous parent,
sorry for troubling you so much.
Any news from MS?

Neil Brown
-9th March 2007, 10:43
Liz & Carolyn just lost in 32.

MS starts at 12.

madfencer
-9th March 2007, 11:10
Hard luck to Liz but well done to both Liz and Carolyn. Any news on how Catriona and Phillippa are doing?

Good luck to the boys in the MS later today :)

madfencer

Neil Brown
-9th March 2007, 12:00
Philippa & Catriona lost in the 32.

MS round

James 5-0
Nat 4-1
Sam 4-2
Dan 3-3

I see the event web site is down. Did anyone reading this see if they updated the results for any time this morning?

Baldric
-9th March 2007, 12:05
Bummer for the girls.

Well done the sabre boys

The website was up about an hour ago, but the last entry was the same as last night,.

Baldric

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 12:06
Well done boys!! Especially James "Glueboy" Honeybone:not_worth

Bad luck girls, but there is always the team event!

Baldric
-9th March 2007, 12:09
Well done boys!! Especially James "Glueboy" Honeybone:not_worth

I wonder if he will turn up in all the other countries team photos like he did at the JHI? :nanananan

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 12:13
If he wins he'll turn-up in every picture:eek:

madfencer
-9th March 2007, 12:21
Hard luck to the girls, but i'm sure they fenced well.

Good luck to all the boys in their DE's, especially our forumite Glueboy! Go James! :mexwave: :grin:

madfencer

ps. Am sure he'll manage to turn up in quite a few of the pictures, if not all of them!

Gangsta G
-9th March 2007, 12:31
ps. Am sure he'll manage to turn up in quite a few of the pictures, if not all of them!I instructed Glueboy before he went, he HAS to get into some totally random countries' photos.

Very encouraging poule results from the boys - best of luck in the DEs lads!

And madfencer - you're not a student yet, you shouldn't be up at 4.30 am!

Neil Brown
-9th March 2007, 12:52
Dan just lost in the 64, Sam won in the 64

James & Nat had byes to the 32.

Dan's Dad
-9th March 2007, 12:58
Although I'm another Dan's Dad I'm sorry about Dan from UK.

Can u tell if there's any Latvian (LET) guy in L32?

Stephen Chivers
-9th March 2007, 13:03
James & Nat had byes to the 32.Go South-West! It must bring a smile to Neil's face. Tough break for Dan but congrats to Sam for making it three GBR in the L32. Let's hope the tableau is kind enough to separate them until the L8 at least.

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 13:24
Let's hope the tableau is kind enough to separate them until the L8 at least.

Always a two edged sabre that one:)

Separated all could go through, but all could go out.

Meet and one GBR guaranteed through.

Good Luck anyway boys!

Stephen Chivers
-9th March 2007, 13:29
Always a two edged sabre that one:)

Separated all could go through, but all could go out.

Meet and one GBR guaranteed through.

Good Luck anyway boys!Have faith - James, Nat and Sam are all capable of winning through their next DEs when they're on form and they certainly seem to be so today.

Stephen Chivers
-9th March 2007, 13:36
The website's back up and running! The MS L64 Tableau is available at http://www.epkadetmac.org.yu/enindex.html and the GBR boys will not meet each other before the L8 - hoorah!

Neil Brown
-9th March 2007, 13:48
Sam lost in the 32. Nat & James both won so into the 16.

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 13:52
GR8 stuff boys!

I've got to go teach little kids to fence so will miss the L16 L8 L4 & L2 excitement:upset:, but I'll be thinking about you.

Good Luck!

madfencer
-9th March 2007, 14:07
Great stuff - well done to Nat and James! Keep it up! :grin:

And Gangsta G: I am a student, just not a university student. Early hours still applies to me :nanananan

tigger
-9th March 2007, 14:18
Glueboy is in the L8...I have no other info than that!

Stephen Chivers
-9th March 2007, 14:25
What a star James is! Did Nat meet Nikolasz Iliasz of Hungary for his L16 match? Very tough one if he did.

Neil Brown
James won his 16 fight, Nat lost his.

James now fences a Hungarian, Szilagyi

Neil Brown
Nat fenced a French fencer in the 16.

rugmike
-9th March 2007, 14:42
[QUOTE=Stephen Chivers]The website's back up and running! The MS L64 Tableau is available at http://www.epkadetmac.org.yu/enindex.html and the GBR boys will not meet each other before the L8 - hoorah![/QUOTHi

Stephen - I can't wake the damn thing up, I think the laggy band's broke.

Stephen Chivers
-9th March 2007, 14:45
Mike

Try soaking it in scrumpy - works for me! Commiserations to Nat but he did well to make the L16. Sets the standard for the World Championships!

Neil Brown
-9th March 2007, 14:58
James just lost in the 8.

Stephen Chivers
-9th March 2007, 15:03
Aron Szilagyi was never going to be easy. Well done James on making the L8, and the others too for their results: should be a good team match to look forward to now.

tigger
-9th March 2007, 15:19
Well done Glueboy in your first Major Championships. All of Cornwall is very proud! Round-by-round updates were being broadcast on Radio Cornwall!

Szilyagi is a class act - he reached the L16 of the Budapest Senior World Cup a few weeks back...

Team event should be good - a chance for GB to get a big result

Gangsta G
-9th March 2007, 15:34
What a fantastic result for Glueboy! A really good achievement to make the L8 in his penultimate cadet year. Well done! And huge congrats to tigger and the rest of the crew at Truro!

Edit: and a very good result for Nat as well - congrats rugmike and Neil!

rugmike
-9th March 2007, 15:39
The Forum has come of age, I think !
If we have that every foreign event ( +? ), it'll be amazing. I've done me knee in rushing up and down to the infernal machine every 10 mins.

Neil seemed to kick-start it, with his modest "I'm online ok", and the floodgates opened.

Bloody brilliant - thanks to all responsible, can't wait for the moro, the teams - and, of course, (a biased view perhaps,) the MS !!

And, well done James, thingy, Sam, and Dan - and all coaches out there on the front line. ("They owe it all to you" said Gwyneth Paltry.)

AND the excuse for a site is still in the E.R. Couldn't the Russian roubles stretch to a decent expert or 2 ??

pinkelephant
-9th March 2007, 16:18
Well done Glueboy. That's 2 last 8s for team GB now!

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 18:57
Well done James :not_worth :not_worth

Now the all important question..........................how many team photos did you manage to gatecrash? :tongue:

Stephen Chivers
-9th March 2007, 19:10
A simple summary of our Cadets' results.

Baldric
-9th March 2007, 19:20
Well done James :not_worth :not_worth

Excellent result! :thumbs_up

Now the all important question..........................how many team photos did you manage to gatecrash? :tongue:

I have been doing a bit of research on the famous "man of glue". It seems that he is also a talented cricketer:
http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk/galleries/jhi2007/ashes.jpg

a bit of a demon at the rugby:

http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk/galleries/jhi2007/rugby.jpg

and maybe older than he looks:

http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk/galleries/jhi2007/worldcup.jpg

:nanananan :nanananan :nanananan :nanananan :nanananan :nanananan

Seriously - well done James!

Baldric

PS - yes, I do have too much time on my hands!

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 20:02
Baldric, they are all England teams!!

I thought the Honeybone thing was getting into team pictures of other nations.

Does anyone have one of him in the Jamaican Bobsleigh team? :rolling:

Baldric
-9th March 2007, 20:08
Baldric, they are all England teams!!

I thought the Honeybone thing was getting into team pictures of other nations.

Does anyone have one of him in the Jamaican Bobsleigh team? :rolling:

Of course:
http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk/galleries/jhi2007/jambob.jpg

D'Artignan
-9th March 2007, 20:35
How about in the multiple World Championship-winning Scottish elephant polo team?

Or the American netball team?

Brazilian ladies beach volleyball team? (Just to put a few guys off the sport):rolling:

MRWFFC
-9th March 2007, 20:38
Hmmmmmmmmmm....................................... .............

Brazilian Ladies Beach Volleyball................OR am I taking this too far?:whistle:

Keith.A.Smith
-9th March 2007, 20:41
Many congratulations to James Honeybone on making the European Cadets Champs top 8. This result and that of Marcus Mepstead are really very impressive.

Very well done to both of them and also to their coaches and support teams.

Excllent news.

Now to the team events,

Keith

madfencer
-10th March 2007, 02:29
Well done to Glueboy on that fantastic result and Nat too on his L16! :not_worth

Good luck to all in the team events now!

madfencer

ps. Baldric, those pictures are scaring me!

Neil Brown
-10th March 2007, 07:01
Results are (for the moment) up on the web site. I talked to the people responsible & they told me they'd called their ISP every hour for the past 2 days to try & solve the problems... welcome to Serbia!

Not so many years ago this city & country didn't have reliable power most days, I think complaining about the service from the ISP or the quality of the wireless network is progress.

Team events today.

WS fence Hungary at 9:00, WE fence Israel at 9:30 & MF fence Slovakia at 11.

Neil Brown
-10th March 2007, 09:44
WS team lost to Hungary 45-30 in the 8, then lost to Greece 45-28 in the fight off for 5th. They fence Turkey at 11 for 7th.

WE beat Israel in the 16.

Dan's Dad
-10th March 2007, 10:05
How'bout the MS schedule? Does it exist already? I failed to find it on the website.

rugmike
-10th March 2007, 10:33
"Results are (for the moment) up on the web site. I talked to the people responsible & they told me they'd called their ISP every hour for the past 2 days to try & solve the problems... welcome to Serbia!"

Nope, (10.15 gmt) gorn again !
Or is it like the England website, and I shouldn't be looking under 'results' , but something much more accurate and specific, like 'The delights of pastoral Serbia'.

(Of which I'm sure there are lots)

Keith.A.Smith
-10th March 2007, 10:34
Dear Neil,

Keep the news flowing and well done on those two top 8 results.Please pass my congratulation sto Marcus and James out there.

Cheers,

Keith

Neil Brown
-10th March 2007, 11:14
WS beat Turkey so are 7th.

WE lost to Russia in the 8 & are now fencing Estonia for 5th.

MF just beat Slovakia in the 16, they've got Hungary next.

MS fence Serbia at 8 tomorrow morning.

Foilling Around
-10th March 2007, 11:44
I know this will seem a really nerdish thing to have done but here goes.

From the draws today they seem to have taken the combined placings of the top 3 fencers from each country to seed the teams. On the assumption that every country who had at least 3 fencers in the individual will have a team entered tommorrow, this is what could be the draw.

WF seeded 8/14 to fence Greece for the right to meet Russia in L8

MS seeded 3/15 to fencer Serbia for the right to meet the winner of Poland and Austria in the L8

ME seeded 17/24 to fence Norway for the right to meet Czech Republic in L16

I cannot see the logic in the Italian sending just 2 fencers in each weapon!

rugmike
-10th March 2007, 11:52
"MS fence Serbia at 8 tomorrow morning."

Good luck Neil - I suggest a bucket of iced water at around 5.00 !

Always works at home .

Well done WS, go WE & MF.

and, of course, MS 2moro. ( GO SOCKS !!!!!! )

tiger Swords
-10th March 2007, 12:01
Who do ME have in the team event first tomorrow...?

Just looking at the Men's Epee Individual result....

The first complete tableau was the L64. In that round, the following seeds were eliminated: 1,2,3,5,9,10,12,14...... which strikes me as quite bizarre. You always expect to lose a few top seeds but this is pretty extreme....!

Australian
-10th March 2007, 12:03
From the draws today they seem to have taken the combined placings of the top 3 fencers from each country to seed the teams.

This is how it works.

If a nation only had 2 fencers in the individual but enters a team, then the rank of the 3rd fencer is the number of fencers in the individual plus one.

Foilling Around
-10th March 2007, 12:47
This is how it works.

If a nation only had 2 fencers in the individual but enters a team, then the rank of the 3rd fencer is the number of fencers in the individual plus one.

Correct, but as this is not an FIE event and they are not obliged to follow FIE rules I checked it out from the results anyway.

From the draws so far it would seem that the Italians have not entered teams. Seems a strange decision to me given the strength in depth they have. Surely giving the second string, who may not be going to the Worlds, a run out would be a good thing to do.

Neil Brown
-10th March 2007, 13:07
WE lost to Estonia. Are now fencing Poland for 7th, losing 32-29 at the moment.

MF lost to Hungary, now fenicng Ukraine for 5th.

Italian fencers all went home today to fence in their national championships

Neil Brown
-10th March 2007, 13:11
WF fence Greece at 11

ME fence Romania in the 32 at 8.

Seeding is made by adding the top 3 places from the individual.

Louis CB
-10th March 2007, 13:21
Go ME boys - Romania is a winnable match. Thought they had Norway, though?

Good luck anyway :)

angelo
-10th March 2007, 13:33
Correct, but as this is not an FIE event and they are not obliged to follow FIE rules I checked it out from the results anyway.

From the draws so far it would seem that the Italians have not entered teams. Seems a strange decision to me given the strength in depth they have. Surely giving the second string, who may not be going to the Worlds, a run out would be a good thing to do.

Possibly they have a very clear sense of priorities. Opportunity costs etc. A fairly ruthless (or clear-sighted) pathway to 2012.

Neil Brown
-10th March 2007, 13:49
WE team beat Poland so are 7th.

MF team beat Ukraine so now will fence France or Germany for 5th.

Foilling Around
-10th March 2007, 14:39
Possibly they have a very clear sense of priorities. Opportunity costs etc. A fairly ruthless (or clear-sighted) pathway to 2012.

I do like the cutting edge of your contributions!!

But this is no "mickey mouse" event it is the first of what will become the only Cadet Championships. Despite the short notice I would have thought it should attracted a high priority. Most other nations, except the Germans in some weapons, seem to have thought so.

Neil Brown
-10th March 2007, 15:43
MF just lost to France to come 6th.

Close match with a bit of individual heroics from Jamie who had a 12-2 fight near the end of the match.

Fencers who fenced today will fly home tomorrow, Sunday.

rugmike
-10th March 2007, 18:16
Please guys, tell me how to get the results/tableaux, draws etc... like you all seem to - or is it our lack of enough sophisticated PC gear ? I haven't once got anything out of the epkadet site.

Baldric
-10th March 2007, 18:21
Please guys, tell me how to get the results/tableaux, draws etc... like you all seem to - or is it our lack of enough sophisticated PC gear ? I haven't once got anything out of the epkadet site.

Its working for me now, although it wasn't earlier in the day.

Try a direct link to the english site: http://www.epkadetmac.org.yu/enindex.html

rugmike
-10th March 2007, 18:26
Sadly no joy, Balders, and that was the one I've been trying.
But I did get an e-mail reply to my complaint to the organisers, in which they said (basically) sorry, we can only get it working after the days' events are finished.
Please alert me to any other wheezes you may think off !

madfencer
-10th March 2007, 18:29
Well done to the teams in their events today and good luck to the rest of the teams tomorrow! :grin:

rugmike
-10th March 2007, 18:29
Tried the Euro Federation - same site, same wording.

Neil Brown
-11th March 2007, 08:55
MS won 45-11, they are now fenicng Ukraine in the L8.

ME won in the 32, they now fence Germany in the 16

rugmike
-11th March 2007, 09:21
Woh !

Go Soks !!

Neil Brown
-11th March 2007, 09:48
MS lost to Ukraine 45-42, started well but went a bit pete tong in the middle.

They now fence Belarus for 5th.

ME 10-9 down to Germany in the 16.

Stephen Chivers
-11th March 2007, 10:13
pete tongNotorious Chinese sabreur? Forgive my ignorance, Neil, but is this a reference that I ought to understand? Anyway, good luck to the lads against Belarus.

MRWFFC
-11th March 2007, 10:16
Well Done to MF team 6th place is not bad and three of the team can go back next year to try to do even better. There are one or two good ones back home as well (James Davis in particular) who are very good and still have another cadet year. So the future looks quite bright in MF.

Also
a bit of individual heroics from Jamie who had a 12-2 fight near the end of the match.
really pleasing for me to see that Jamie showed what he can do:) Now, if I could just get him to do it consistently....

Good Luck to everyone today.

MRWFFC
-11th March 2007, 10:19
Chivers, Pete Tong is a (former?) radio 1 DJ. The explanation is quite dreary:

"Its all gone a bit Pete Tong" is rhyming slang for "Its all gone a bit wrong"

Neil Brown
-11th March 2007, 10:51
MS lost to Belarus 45-37. They now fence Greece for 7th.

ME lost to Germany, 30-29 down going into the last fight, ended 43-45.

WF fence Greece in 10 minutes.

rugmike
-11th March 2007, 12:19
A first ! I got the info! MS beat Greece - thas all he said.

Neil Brown
-11th March 2007, 12:43
MS beat Greece so are 7th.

WF lost to Greece in the 16.

Which is a rather depressing end to what has been a really well-organised championships. Things that often cause problems, hotel, transport, finding food near the venue & hotel, finding & affording taxis, general organisation of the fencing events, etc.) have been completely fine.

This is the end of my reporting of results, all up until yesterday's are on the web site now.

Thanks to all the fencers, coaches, referees, & the parents who pay for it all for the help & support.

Neil

Keith.A.Smith
-11th March 2007, 14:22
Dear Neil,

Thanks for all this reporting. Sounds like both the ME and MS teams fenced very well and we also unlucky with very close losses.

Best wishes and a safe journey home to everyone.

Keith

rugmike
-11th March 2007, 14:37
Thanks for the great communications , Neil, surely set a standard for the future.

And for running the ship - all seems to have gone hitch-free.

En piste ? Stuff happens .......

Well done, and thanks to all the fencers - for most, their first time at a major Championship for their country.

That's all she wrote.

ARH
-11th March 2007, 19:10
The label on the post says it all.

Foilling Around
-11th March 2007, 19:16
Well done, and thanks to all the fencers - for most, their first time at a major Championship for their country.

And for many of them a great warm up for the Worlds in about 4 weeks time. Hopefully, they can all take positives out of this and go to new highs next time.

I've sent Neil a text of thanx as I won't be able to be at the airport tommorrow.

Stephen Chivers
-11th March 2007, 20:02
Since the official website hasn't produced one, here's how it all turned out (I think). Also, my thanks to Neil Brown for all his efforts on behalf of our Cadets.

Glue Boy
-16th March 2007, 00:39
Excellent result! :thumbs_up

I have been doing a bit of research on the famous "man of glue". It seems that he is also a talented cricketer:
http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk/galleries/jhi2007/ashes.jpg

a bit of a demon at the rugby:

http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk/galleries/jhi2007/rugby.jpg

and maybe older than he looks:

http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk/galleries/jhi2007/worldcup.jpg

:nanananan :nanananan :nanananan :nanananan :nanananan :nanananan

Seriously - well done James!

Baldric

PS - yes, I do have too much time on my hands!

I am very multi-talented... ;)

Gangsta G
-16th March 2007, 04:22
I have to say that Baldric's recent actions are almost worthy of negative rep, much as I love Glue Boy, putting him in the place of the one and only Bobby More is quite simply sacrilege!

Foilling Around
-16th March 2007, 09:05
I am very multi-talented... ;)

but modesty is your best quality!!

german_fencer
-16th March 2007, 11:20
Hi,
I dont know if you already discussed that, if yes just delete this ;)
We had the discussion in a german forum:
What is the sense of a European Championship for Cadets? Isnt it just a waste of money? Or is it necessary for young fencers to gain experience? Arent the Cadet World Championship and JWC enough?
greetz Daniel

Baldric
-16th March 2007, 11:27
Hi,
I dont know if you already discussed that, if yes just delete this ;)
We had the discussion in a german forum:
What is the sense of a European Championship for Cadets? Isnt it just a waste of money? Or is it necessary for young fencers to gain experience? Arent the Cadet World Championship and JWC enough?
greetz Daniel

Hi Daniel

There is a feeling that the FIE wish to stop holding a world cadet champs, and so the European event would become very important.

german_fencer
-16th March 2007, 11:43
So they want to "replace" the WC by the EC? And why?

rory
-16th March 2007, 13:16
So they want to "replace" the WC by the EC? And why?

No.
The FIE have been planning to stop the CWC entirely.
The EC has been started by another organisation, who believe that there should be a Cadet championships of some sort to fill the gap left by the CWC when it stops.

german_fencer
-16th March 2007, 14:21
Ah i see, ok that makes sense...

Foilling Around
-17th March 2007, 14:32
I think a lot of it is on the grounds of cost.

Only a few federations can afford to run the events and the bigger it is the greater the cost. Remove the Cadet part from it and it becomes cheaper.

It also becomes cheaper to send your Cadet fencers to a championship in your own continent rather than send them halfway round the world.

A second reason is that they can be even more of a lottery than the Junior Worlds. There is no Cadet World rankings and so the seeding is done on the basis of the Junior World rankings. Very few top cadet fencers have meaningful points in this so the seedings and therefore the pools will be almost random

The same applies to some extent to the Juniors because it is very European focussed and the Asian fencers, who may be very good, do not do the circuit and are 999s in the pools.