PDA

View Full Version : WF World's Preview article

Craig
-19th September 2003, 21:59
Posted here:
http://www.fencing101.com/2003WFWCPreview.php

It's a short preview, and I'm planning on more of them so I'd like any comments.

Thanks!
Craig

reposte
-19th September 2003, 23:28
I've never seen Gruchala fence other then in the team event in Lisbon on Eurosport, where she seemed to me like a very
impressive woman spirit wise, but very unimpressive fencing smartness wise.
She is a fairly short fencer, with a very bad posture - tends to sway her torso forwards and attacks constantly taller opponents with absence of blade attacks. Very silly considering her element.
This only awarded her constant counters from both Eucheva and Bojko, both rather taller than she.
She seems to rely mostly on her bursting power in lunges than anything. She countered nicely though, I thought one point that came to Eucheva ought to have landed her way. Boo Boo still has the footage I think and I doubt we'll disagree.

Boo Boo
-19th September 2003, 23:51
Don't think that I have the women's foil team on tape from Lisbon. Not sure if I ever had that match - I can't remember watching it.

Gruchalla is not particularly short: most international women foilists aren't particularly tall either - many are 5'6"/5'8". Vezalli is much more petite and also a counter attacker: sometimes being small is good for counterattacking (less to hit). Gruchala is very good at altering her body position very quickly (often tipping forward on her front leg) to avoid being hit.

Gruchala has fantastic timing and distance and uses these to do a lot of attacks on preparation and counter attacks (not unlike Vezzali), but she also has a very nice long, fast, powerful attack.

She doesn't have the most "conventional" of styles, but Gruchala is very good at what she does and fascinating to watch.

Boo

reposte
-19th September 2003, 23:57
The broadcasted event only included her legs against Bojko and Eucheva, and she seemed short by comparison. I've never seen either of the three in person, so I was deducing without real measure other then relativeness. As I said, I have only those two legs to stand on so to speak, so what I wrote I as is due confined to what was showing on that footage alone.

reposte
-20th September 2003, 00:05
And I did give her the countering. It's her full attacks I was critical about. you could also see that due to her faulty posture she is having trouble landing touches when distance shifts unexpectedly. Both Bojkp and Eucheva, very straight classical poised fencers found all of their over the head or back to the flank hits while she missed them all. It's virtually impossible to mend your arm in point control when your shoulder's down.

Robert
-20th September 2003, 17:01
Originally posted by Craig
Posted here:
http://www.fencing101.com/2003WFWCPreview.php

It's a short preview, and I'm planning on more of them so I'd like any comments.

Thanks!
Craig

Great stuff, are you going to do a similar thing for the results.

Robert

Craig
-21st September 2003, 17:22
I'm going to work on previews for the rest of the events first, and then report on the results.

Craig