PDA

View Full Version : Ignore options

Gav
-8th January 2007, 08:57
I'd like to gauge the popularity of a suggestion...

Having just closed a thread started by a member who has become annoyed at the posting habits of another member I'd like to ask the board how they would feel about an amendment to the ignore feature that would you to ignore threads started by someone? Might be popular; might not.

I'd also like to point out that by ignoring whole threads it is possible that you would miss out on some good debate and the forum will seem (to you) to be all the emptier.

doobarz
-8th January 2007, 09:02
As the thread shows who started it on the screen, can users just not open the thread?

Saxon
-8th January 2007, 09:50
Sorry Gav, by bad. I'll behave now.

On topic, I don't mind one way or the other - just seemed to me that if one user went to the extent of putting another on their ignore list, that they weren't interested in anything from that account - be it replies or threads. The "off-switch" argument is compelling, but it becomes more difficult when half the threads in the "new posts" search are from one user.

Gav
-8th January 2007, 10:08
As the thread shows who started it on the screen, can users just not open the thread?

Well that would be a common sense position; but I do know that a couple of people have complained that, when they ignore someone, the ignoree's (?) thread still appear in 'new threads' and searches.

Touché Turtle
-8th January 2007, 10:11
I think it may be a useful option, I'd be interested in trying it as an experiment.
I agree, it is getting rather clogged on my 'new posts' page when half the threads are pointless questions made by mostly the same person.
I can see I may miss out on 'some good debate' but to be honest I can't see how most of the threads started could even prompt any decent debate when the subject matter is fairly pointless in the first place! ;)

Sumerian Haze
-8th January 2007, 10:21
Missing debate and/or interesting threads is a risk that one runs when invoking the "ignore" feature. I say give people the option - if anybody then feels that they're missing too much then they can always turn it off again. That's the wonderful thing about options. ;)

Asprin
-8th January 2007, 10:27
What would be nice would be a option to ignore forums in the new post section such as epee if your not interested in it. Not just threads within the forums.

Aramis
-8th January 2007, 10:58
One way to find out... try it Gav.

TLove
-8th January 2007, 11:00
Another option for ignoring threads:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127487

And just for aspirin, a hack to stop a forum being included in get new posts etc.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91025&highlight=ignore+forum

Gav
-8th January 2007, 11:42
I wasn't going to bother to list the Vbulletin hacks (same as Tloves) because I believe there is such a thing as too much information...

One way to find out... try it Gav.

I was attempting to gauge people's opinions before I made any recommendations.

madfencer
-8th January 2007, 12:30
Give it a go and see what it's like...you'll never know if you don't try it :) People can always turn off the option, but if it's not there some people may feel theyre missing out.

Aramis
-8th January 2007, 12:47
I was attempting to gauge people's opinions before I made any recommendations.
I know... that was my opinion! :whistle:

Red
-8th January 2007, 20:55
Anyone remember 'The Establishment of Priority'?

TLove
-8th January 2007, 22:45
Of course - it wasn't THAT long ago :)

husy
-9th January 2007, 18:43
The "off-switch" argument is compelling, but it becomes more difficult when half the threads in the "new posts" search are from one user.

Not half the threads, all of them.:rolling:

madfencer
-9th January 2007, 23:48
Not half the threads, all of them.:rolling:

Well it's getting a bit better now I think :)

Still a good idea though Gav :grin:

Nick_C
-11th January 2007, 21:28
sounds like a good idea. i wouldnt use it myself though.

There seems to have been a few snide (and some downright rude!) comments in the last couple of weeks. Maybe this would reduce forum-rage.

madfencer
-11th January 2007, 21:40
There seems to have been a few snide (and some downright rude!) comments in the last couple of weeks. Maybe this would reduce forum-rage.

I'm sorry if any of those were from me :(

:o:

Nick_C
-11th January 2007, 21:46
No, not you... that i've noticed lol. But there's been at least five i can think of. All different people. Hmm. Maybe it's a lack of fencing over the Xmas period.

doobarz
-12th January 2007, 08:06
So Gav, have you made a decision?

Gav
-12th January 2007, 09:08
Have I made a decision? I'll mention it to the other admins. It's up to KK and Wingnut to implement it if they want to. It seems to me that it's 50-50 in terms of people wanting it.

For the record I don't allow myself the luxury of an ignore list; which means that I have to wade through all of the input from board members. I also believe it's important to not allow blindspots. It's also my opinion that good debates occasionally come out of responses to chaff...

wingnutLP
-12th January 2007, 10:48
My feeling is that if you use http://fencingforum.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew as your link to the forum then you can see who has posted new threads. Do you really need a button to ignore posts from a specific user rather than just not clicking on them?

All it would save you is the millisecond that it takes to scan read the users name and click the mental ignore button in your head...

Just my 2 cents.

doobarz
-12th January 2007, 11:50
All it would save you is the millisecond that it takes to scan read the users name and click the mental ignore button in your head...

That's just what I said. Wow, am I developing mod thoughts....?

Touché Turtle
-14th January 2007, 10:36
Having once again gone to my 'new posts' page to find over half the threads have either been started by, or uselessly added to, by mostly the same person, I had a thought. Maybe a very obvious guide to being a useful or interesting forum member would be an idea. Then I remembered that short clip we had on here ages ago which was done in a public information film stylee. Does anyone else remember it, or know where to find it? I've had a search but couldn't dig it up. I think it may be a useful sticky in the new members and/or forum announcements threads.
Apart from sending it directly in a PM to certain people...;)

Gav
-14th January 2007, 18:15
Having once again gone to my 'new posts' page to find over half the threads have either been started by, or uselessly added to, by mostly the same person, I had a thought.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. In fact there already IS a pretty visible (in my opinion) guide to being a useful member.

The weird thing about your post is that the animation you mention was recently re-posted over on fnet.

Touché Turtle
-14th January 2007, 19:55
Thanks for putting it up in the new members section Gav. You never know, it may help. Maybe a humourous animation will get the message through more effectively to those people who aren't so likely to sit and read a page of text.

Aramis
-14th January 2007, 22:37
Ha ha! Pure class!

Aussie_fencer
-14th January 2007, 23:37
how about i just dont post any more, from this point onward i will not post for at least a week, unless it is to welcome new members, which i am sure some of you would also prefer i not do. I will how ever correspond to people if the need arises, through pm. Just so yo u know, I feel absolutley humiliated by this so im sure that some of you, even if yo udeny it will be secretly pleased that my posting and annoying posting is for the most part over. Once again I do appologise for being so annoying and as usual, I hope I have not offended any one. (No, I am not playing the self pity card, but to see a post about being able to block out people entireley, mainly me, is, as i am sure you can understand, somewhat upsetting). Thankyou, Ethan Charles Robertson Bromfield. OZ.

TLove
-15th January 2007, 01:38
Nah, keep on posting. You're fine unless the mods come after you ;)

Just take what people have said about forum rules to heart so you don't offend people unable to ignore your posts :)

Seriously man, I'm sure no-one here wants to drive you away from the forum. At least, I hope not.