PDA

View Full Version : FAQ or Guide section?

Gav
-1st February 2007, 10:09
I've been thinking*.

There's been tons of complaints aimed at new users not using the search** function recently. Not only that but I posted up a link and some people have been asking for it to be stickied.

Ok, it now occurs to me that there could be a need to provide a place where the mods can stick some useful information threads. I mean more than my usual whiny "please behave or I'll hit you with a stick" entreaties.

What do you guys think?

I've a feeling we've talked about this before.

* dangerious - I know. My head hurts.
** Personally I think that most of that comes down to general laziness.

doobarz
-1st February 2007, 10:25
I've a feeling we've talked about this before.

Perhaps you should make use of the search function if you think it may have been discussed before? :whistle:

I think it would be a good idea to have something more than there is now. Can you change the signing up process to add some 'local rules' (for local people)?

Of course you cannot guarantee that anyone will read a sticky. A PM from a mod perhaps?

Gav
-1st February 2007, 10:33
Perhaps you should make use of the search function if you think it may have been discussed before?

I was making a little joke about my own laziness. :whistle:

As for extra mods to make certain people pay attention. I don't think there are mods that can train in some common sense. Most mods focus on getting rid of problem users. That's not really what I am after.

One of the problems with FAQ sections is the amount of work required to keep the damn things up to date - or even relevent. Frequently they end up being just some sort of online attic space (i.e. a dusty, infrequently visited place, that probably needs clearing up).

Adam
-1st February 2007, 12:08
If it wouldn't do any harm, and it might even help...

Having 'quiet' words with certain people isn't going to help perceived spam. There will always be another young monkey to assume the "I'm a bit mad, me. Omigosh you're all my friends, listen." role.

Pruning unrelated posts is possibly not a fun thing to do, but if it gets rid of obviously unrelated white noise, it will mean the named forums and threads are more of a resource.

Chit-chat is a perfect place to indulge in lengthy OT contact with other human beings. I think some people like to pretend that by posting in other parts of the forum, it lends weight to waffling.

Activity is great. In fact, it's everything. Wouldn't want to lose our more crabbit/lurkisome members, who might be tempted to contribute something worthwhile if they can be bothered wading through the heaps of guff.

You know, those people that actually know what they are talking about. :)

Adam who doesn't know much but feels old.

TLove
-1st February 2007, 12:28
Good idea. Make it quite general to avoid having to make regular updates.

Getting the new people to actually read and take notice of the FAQ is the major problem of course.

Could probably write a mod which makes it pop up every time a user with a post count below a certain post count posts, reusing some of the existing code for user restriction below a specified post count :)

Rdb811
-1st February 2007, 13:15
It's prpabably a better idea than the current situation - all :whistle: you need do is move half a dozen threads into a "beginners Questios" section.

husy
-1st February 2007, 18:26
I thought that the mods posted these threads in the Forum announcements section in the new members section.

TLove
-1st February 2007, 21:34
Could probably write a mod which makes it pop up every time a user with a post count below a certain post count posts, reusing some of the existing code for user restriction below a specified post count :)

I've written some code which should do this (not tested yet). Let me know if you want it.