PDA

View Full Version : Martingales

jrp-94
-26th September 2003, 19:22
Why are martingales more common on foils with French grips than on equivalent epees? Is there a reason why you wouldn't want/need a martingale on an epee? :confused:

Mantis
-26th September 2003, 19:41
I was told at a competition some weeks ago that martingales are not allowed on electric weapons. I'm still not entirely sure about this but since I don't use French grips it doesn't bother me.

Anyway, very few people buy steam epees so maybe this is the reason they are so rare for epee.

Australian
-27th September 2003, 07:04
Originally posted by Mantis
I was told at a competition some weeks ago that martingales are not allowed on electric weapons. I'm still not entirely sure about this but since I don't use French grips it doesn't bother me.

they are allowed, as are italian grips

Robert
-27th September 2003, 19:09
Originally posted by Australian
they are allowed, as are italian grips

I have an italian, are you still permitted to strap it?

Robert

pinkelephant
-28th September 2003, 19:55
The point of a martingale is to stop the weapon flying out of your hand if you are disarmed. As the body wire does this job with elctric weapons, there's no need for a martingale.

As the rule book no longer covers anything except International competitions it's not much help in this case, but I seem to remember being told as a schoolgirl that martingales were not allowed with either pistol grips or with electric weapons - but it could be a figment of my imagination ( or senility).

jrp-94
-28th September 2003, 20:21
OK, thanks for that. So I guess a martingale is probably illegal and definitely unnecessary on an electric epee.

Trouble is, we don't always use a box at the club, so it'll probably go flying across the hall (as did my steam foil pre-martingale).

I'll have to learn to use one of those pesky pistol grips (trouble with being left-handed is finding one to borrow) or stick to my sabre . . .

:brown:

Australian
-29th September 2003, 06:02
Originally posted by joe
So I guess a martingale is probably illegal and definitely unnecessary on an electric epee.

unnecessary, yes, illegal no

jrp-94
-30th September 2003, 19:36
OK - thanks for that.