PDA

View Full Version : What Uni are you Going to (II)

silvercross
-5th February 2007, 17:15
The Uni thread was getting a bit too thin...

So, who's heading where? (I'm staying put for the moment. I like my chair.)

doobarz
-5th February 2007, 17:20
I shall be starting a part time MA at Durham in October. Doubt I'll get to take advantage of the fencing club though, must check when training is...

soupermario
-5th February 2007, 17:25
i've got an offer from king's college london (abb) to read maths :grin:, they're my first choice. queen mary (280) is my insurance choice. though i've also got offers from edinburgh (abb), leeds (aab) and sheffield (abc) and a rejection from bath but king's was always my first choice. :maul:

Duncan Rowlands
-5th February 2007, 17:34
I shall be starting a part time MA at Durham in October. Doubt I'll get to take advantage of the fencing club though, must check when training is...

Cool! So you'll be training at Laszlo's?

doobarz
-5th February 2007, 18:19
Cool! So you'll be training at Laszlo's?

Unfortunatly it will be one day a week (Monday) and then back home for the job.

Aer
-5th February 2007, 18:51
still at university for 2 and a half more years.

After 4 in St Andrews getting a BSc (MedSci), im 6 months into a 3 year clinical placement under the University of Manchester and the MBChB at the end of it.

And I'm stuck in medical essay hell at the moment :mad:

Asprin
-5th February 2007, 19:06
Napier for two more years.

Duncan Rowlands
-5th February 2007, 19:31
Unfortunatly it will be one day a week (Monday) and then back home for the job.

Arse! Club night is Thursday.

Red
-5th February 2007, 19:47
Leicester for another year and a half (at least...)

husy
-5th February 2007, 20:00
Well my fencing mate is now at Brown in the U.S.A. he'd rather have his nice old wise coach and comes back here in the holidays (spending most of the holiday fencing). He's got three years and a half.

gbm
-5th February 2007, 22:28
Applied to stay at Cardiff for three more years for a PhD in Astrophysics if they'll let me (and pay me!)... also applied to Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh and I'm going to apply to Exeter and maybe St. Andrews.

Duncan Rowlands
-5th February 2007, 22:32
Applied to stay at Cardiff for three more years for a PhD in Astrophysics if they'll let me (and pay me!)... also applied to Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh and I'm going to apply to Exeter and maybe St. Andrews.

You REALLY want to avoid the real world. My ex-wife did astro-physics at Oxford.

madfencer
-6th February 2007, 00:21
Hopefully Plymouth or Northumbria (but in 2008 after gap year) but ive also appled to Central Lancashire, Middlesex, Kent and UWE Bristol. Have got offers from Central Lancashire (CC) and Northumbria (BC) at the moment.

rory
-6th February 2007, 08:45
My ex-wife did astro-physics at Oxford.

Which one?
<ducks>

doobarz
-6th February 2007, 09:01
Which one?
<ducks>

I think it was proper Oxford, not Oxford Brookes.

Brownie
-6th February 2007, 10:04
I will be graduating from Staffs Uni this summer, having witnessed first hand the transformation of the club in the four years i have been here. Before this season we hadn't won a match this millenium (maybe have been even longer but we didn't have any records before that) and now we have won two matches!!! Woohoo! The fencing team was in such a state when i started, then the changes in kit regulations and the box timings almost meant we had to stop fencing and close the club but through some gritty hard work and begging, borrowing and stealing, well not quite stealing, we have got a decent club now!

Now i have the dubious pleasure of applying for jobs, but i have to apply for a job near to where there is a decent fencing club. :-)

Duncan Rowlands
-6th February 2007, 10:21
Originally Posted by rory
Which one?
<ducks>

I think it was proper Oxford, not Oxford Brookes.

To answer both potential questions; it was ex-wife no.2, & St. Hughes college, Oxford ('proper').

Restrained Dad
-4th March 2007, 16:14
Cardiff, Bath, manchester,Sussex, Bristol. Which is best for foil?

Maxim
-4th March 2007, 17:31
I would say Bath or Bristol. Not sure what Manchester is like nowadays. Bath has an advantage of a very good club (Bath Sword) nearby. Of course Birmingham, Oxford and possibly Loughborough are still miles ahead of the rest in terms of foil fencing.

Boo Boo
-4th March 2007, 17:51
I would say Bath or Bristol. Not sure what Manchester is like nowadays. Bath has an advantage of a very good club (Bath Sword) nearby. Of course Birmingham, Oxford and possibly Loughborough are still miles ahead of the rest in terms of foil fencing.

Bath Sword can vary quite a lot for foil (over the last couple of years) - some weeks it can be great, other weeks it can be very quiet.

In Bristol there is the South West Centre of Excellence - meets once a week during term time. Has people like Tristan Rowcliffe, Tom Potterton, Daniel Robinson, Rhys Melia sometimes Andrew Caldwell, ChubbyHubby and quite a few other good fencers. But some will be off to university next year (not sure if they plan to stay in the area or move away). There is also a club night at Bristol Grammar School once a week - which might be possible to get an invitation to.

Bath and Bristol are very close together - so going to either university should provide opportunities in both cities. People from Bristol University go to Bath Sword to train, whilst people from Bath go to the South West Centre of Excellence to train.

I live in Bath, but spend some time training with the Bristol University people (so know more about their set-up that Bath University's). Bristol have 3 training sessions a week + a good fitness/footwork session. From my experience, they are a very friendly and social club :). Bristol also has a number of sports scholarships and an "advanced sports squad" available for talented fencers (worth looking into - http://www.bris.ac.uk/sport/high-performance/scholarships.html - I don't THINK that Bath does the same).

Bath and Bristol are VERY different universities: Bath is a fairly self-contained campus with very good sports facilities right there, Bristol is a lot more spread out and integrated with the city (it has good sports facilities, but they are a lot more spread out). Come down to the South West and have a GOOD look around and talk to people - see what you like: they both have a lot to offer :)

Boo

hayleyjade
-4th March 2007, 21:05
Calling all Girly Fencers- come to LEEDS next year.........i NEED you.... (especially if you do sabre :D )

D'Artignan
-4th March 2007, 22:07
OMG! There's a blast from the past!

P.S. Go to Dundee. We need all the help we can get.

Asprin
-5th March 2007, 00:49
OMG! There's a blast from the past!

P.S. Go to Dundee. We need all the help we can get.

Napier needs the help more!

We have one fencer (and a few interested) and are trying to set up a club.

silvercross
-5th March 2007, 08:24

Firstly, who restrained you, and why? Have the authorities been notified, or were the authorities the ones behind this? :grin:

Manchester still has a decent setup (horrible, a Liverpool 'imported' Lad talking good about the mancs...:dont: ), and you do have Manchester Fencing Club and Salle Kiss nearby for very, VERY good foil fencing. They did very good in their leagues this year (men won north 1A and their women are in the semis of the trophy).

But Liverpool Uni is still a good option (WARNING! SHAMELESS PLUG IN!)...:rolling:

Restrained Dad
-5th March 2007, 08:25
Thanks Boo Boo (clearly smarter than the average Bear!). Been to Bath and facilities are great and local as you say which could make things far more helpful. Bath don't have same level of scholarship but all facilities are free anyway. Not sure about access to sports science stuff at Bath though whereas Bristol offers it if you are in elite squad.

Restrained Dad
-5th March 2007, 08:30
Silvercross,

Self restrained trying to not let the tension get to me. But when the offspring decide to go 14-7 down and then wins 14 -15 it can be very hard. as happened on the weekend (Welsh Closed).

The choice of Manchester and the proximity of Salle Kiss is not a coincidence

silvercross
-5th March 2007, 09:13
I think offspring just has a darn good sense of dramatic timing! :grin:

Manchester uni has a good mix of fencers for all three weapons, and decent training facilities (at least from the one time I visited). They did OK at the BUSA individuals (though granted, not as well as when CB used to quite literally own the MF title a few years back), and yeah, they do have a couple of very good clubs nearby for those that want to put in those extra practices.

Boo Boo
-5th March 2007, 10:38
Thanks Boo Boo (clearly smarter than the average Bear!). Been to Bath and facilities are great and local as you say which could make things far more helpful. Bath don't have same level of scholarship but all facilities are free anyway. Not sure about access to sports science stuff at Bath though whereas Bristol offers it if you are in elite squad.

I THINK that access to sports science stuff at Bath would be charged for at a discounted student rate... unless your offspring is "lottery funded" (or maybe on the Olympic Pathway). Certainly a few years ago, Bath elite sport were not very interested in foilists: there might be more scope for negotiation if your offspring was an epeeist (the British Modern Pentathlon team trains at Bath and the elite sports manager is more interested in "training partners" for the pentathletes).

Primarily the sports facilities at Bath and Bristol are run very differently: Bath is run as a national elite training centre which students have access to, whereas Bristol is run primarily for the students. Bath may be better is some aspects of their facilities, although your offspring will be at the back of the queue to use them and will probably have to pay for quite a bit of it. At Bristol, If your offspring gets onto the advance sports squad, he will be treated a lot better.

My suggestion is to talk to the fencing coaches, at all the institutions that you are looking at, and get their perspectives. Neil Brown is the coach at Bristol and Sue Benney is the coach at Bath - both are BAF Professors (i.e. coach all three weapons).

Also the courses vary quite considerably from institution to institution - so may very much depend on what your offspring is thinking of studying....

Boo

scottishsabreur
-5th March 2007, 13:14
Calling all Girly Fencers- come to LEEDS next year.........i NEED you.... (especially if you do sabre :D )

Problem at all unis apparently!!! I'm the only female sabreur at Strathclyde and we only have 1 or 2 guys who fence sabre so I'm usually forced along to Glasgow uni, Glasgow West or Edinburgh if I want some proper sabre fencing. Big advantage at Strathclyde is that our coach is awesome and gives amazing lessons.

silvercross
-5th March 2007, 13:45
Problem at all unis apparently!!!

Second that. Getting Experienced Lady Sabreurs seems to be a difficult thing. Seems we have to make them at our uni. But putting them in the jar and shaking really hard tends to make them dizzy as well...:nanananan (I can just feel the sabre hitting the back of my head for that one...)

Asprin
-5th March 2007, 14:10
Second that. Getting Experienced Lady Sabreurs seems to be a difficult thing. Seems we have to make them at our uni. But putting them in the jar and shaking really hard tends to make them dizzy as well...:nanananan (I can just feel the sabre hitting the back of my head for that one...)

Napier has a problem with fencers of any kind!!

Although there is a female sabreur!!

Maverick
-5th March 2007, 21:53

A successful BUSA team needs more than good fencers in one weapon; Cardiff have had a good season.

Also, if I do a MEd next year I want some good foilists like James to fence with!

silvercross
-6th March 2007, 08:17
Undoutedly true. Look at the teams (male and female) currently in the BUSA Championship semis. All have good depth at all three weapons.