PDA

View Full Version : LPJS or Premier Foil Series??

Shaka
-7th February 2007, 11:46
Could somebody please explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of the Leon Paul Junior Series and the Premier Foil Series?

My daughter is now competing and I'm torn between the two.

She has the potential to be an excellent fencer and I'd like to start her on the right track that will eventually get her noticed.

Baldric
-7th February 2007, 11:54
How old is your daughter, and where in the country do you live?

Baldric

Shaka
-7th February 2007, 11:55
She is almost 11 and we are in London.

Baldric
-7th February 2007, 12:10
I would try a couple of each.

The advantage of the LPJS is that they normally get two pool rounds, whereas the Premier series only has one round. However, mum & dad get home earlier!

The advantage of the Premier series is that it is more accessible from where you live - there are several comps within an hour or so of London, and Bristol is quite easy to get to. If Jnr gets into it, and wants to complete the series (and chase the ranking points) it will mean less travel for you.

The bigger LPJS comps (Eton, Cambridge, Sherwood, Portsmouth, Leicester) are stronger than the Premier usually, although the more distant LPJS like Durham, Cornwall, Wrexham can be weaker. Having said that, Cornwall LPJS is one of my favourite comps.

You mention "getting noticed" - I presume by that you mean that you hope her achievements will come to the attention of the fencing establishment?

Assuming that you are English, the England Youth development programme (called Tomorrow's Achievers) monitors both series, as well as the BYC and EYC comps as part of it's talent spotting process. U11 is quite young, but we do have some fencers of that age in the programme.

This link might help you www.southernfencing.org.uk/documents/fencing%20booklet.pdf (http://www.southernfencing.org.uk/documents/fencing%20booklet.pdf) in starting competing and later on you might like to look at www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk (http://www.tomorrowsachievers.org.uk)

If you need any further help, please PM me, or email the webmaster at the tomorrows achievers site.

Regards

Baldric

Shaka
-7th February 2007, 12:37
Thanks Baldric, that was very helpful and if I do have any more queries I will take up your offer and PM you.

AMC
-7th February 2007, 13:34
My club does the LP series, I would suggest the Eton LP would be a good one
to go to. Although numbers are high and generally the standard is very good it is a very well run competition and friendly. Most importantly there are a high number of good referees present.

Shaka
-7th February 2007, 14:06
Thanks, I'll add that to our list.

Unicorn
-7th February 2007, 15:53
I recomend the LP series, i did them for the past years, along with good fencing, they are really fun and you get to make lots of friends, some competitions have great prizes too (like Cornwall (and more), lots of chocolate and some kind of bag!!)

Chip
-7th February 2007, 15:57
Shaka, Baldric is correct ,mix and match between the LPJS and the premier series and you should not have to travel to far (he says) there is nothing to choose between the two ,I believe in terms of standard ,different comps different standards some big some small .But try and do Cornwall its our favourite. well run and an abundance of chocolate for all entries.

Chip
-7th February 2007, 16:01
Sorry forgot to point out that the LPJS comps have two rounds of poules where as the premier if I remember correctly have one round only .

Andy W.
-7th February 2007, 16:07
I agree with Balders, but see which events your club already goes to and that might make your decision for you. Unless you are a fencer yourself you will welcome the support the club coach should provide at an event. Our club did the premier series and I didn't know about LPJS for two years, but then the first one Jnr went to (at Eton) she won:whistle: having usually been placed in top 3 in Premier Series events. (So standards at u11 and U13 were roughly the same) The age groups are different in Premier and LPJS so you may find it advantageous to mix the events depending on where she falls in the age range in any given season. The LPJS is probably a tougher event the older your child gets.

Think about overseas events such as Dieppe as well. They can be easier and cheaper to get to than some of the northern LPJS events and you are bound to meet different fencers!

If you can - and especially in your current age range try and see how many entrants there are in any comps that are bit far away, it is dismal to turn up and find yourself facing the same half dozen fencers again (and again)! Especially if they all live near you anyway!! One year the Cornish LPJS had only one girl entrant.

good luck

Unicorn
-7th February 2007, 16:14
I agree with Balders, but see which events your club already goes to and that might make your decision for you. Unless you are a fencer yourself you will welcome the support the club coach should provide at an event. Our club did the premier series and I didn't know about LPJS for two years, but then the first one Jnr went to (at Eton) she won:whistle: having usually been placed in top 3 in Premier Series events. (So standards at u11 and U13 were roughly the same) The age groups are different in Premier and LPJS so you may find it advantageous to mix the events depending on where she falls in the age range in any given season. The LPJS is probably a tougher event the older your child gets.

Think about overseas events such as Dieppe as well. They can be easier and cheaper to get to than some of the northern LPJS events and you are bound to meet different fencers!

If you can - and especially in your current age range try and see how many entrants there are in any comps that are bit far away, it is dismal to turn up and find yourself facing the same half dozen fencers again (and again)! Especially if they all live near you anyway!! One year the Cornish LPJS had only one girl entrant.

good luck
that girl must have got all the chocolate!

kingkenny
-7th February 2007, 16:16
To get a booklet with all the information about the LPJS email lpjs@leonpaul.com with a delivery address and I will send you one.

Andy W.
-7th February 2007, 16:20
that girl must have got all the chocolate!

Sadly no, there was no chocolate that year (sob).:upset:

Unicorn
-7th February 2007, 16:22
more people have gone to that comp since the chocolate...

Baldric
-7th February 2007, 22:00
more people have gone to that comp since the chocolate...

Its not just the chocolate and the prizes.There is something about the Cornwall LPJS that makes it a "must go" competition. Probably the infectious enthusiasm of the Truro posse.

Whatever it is, I wish I could bottle it, and sell it! :grin:

Foilling Around
-7th February 2007, 22:35
Could somebody please explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of the Leon Paul Junior Series and the Premier Foil Series?

My daughter is now competing and I'm torn between the two.

She has the potential to be an excellent fencer and I'd like to start her on the right track that will eventually get her noticed.

There are loads of parents on this forum who have taken daughter foillists through the system, myself, Baldric, AMC, Tubby to name but a few.

You don't mention whether you are a fencer yourself, but you can always PM any of us for advice. I have provided personalised competition calendars for a number of parents to help them. Usually this has been as the girls start to make their way into the open events at the age of 13.

I run one of the LPJS events - in 2 days time - The Sherwood Foil, but heck, just get the girl fencing competing and enjoying it. Every event will be a learning experience at this stage.

vikkia
-8th February 2007, 16:13
There are loads of parents on this forum who have taken daughter foillists through the system, myself, Baldric, AMC, Tubby to name but a few.

You don't mention whether you are a fencer yourself, but you can always PM any of us for advice. I have provided personalised competition calendars for a number of parents to help them. Usually this has been as the girls start to make their way into the open events at the age of 13.

I run one of the LPJS events - in 2 days time - The Sherwood Foil, but heck, just get the girl fencing competing and enjoying it. Every event will be a learning experience at this stage.

Well said, Foiling Around!! When Minij started I took him to everything I could and he loved it! However I would also say that the LPJS comps are the most friendly for a newbie so Bladrics comments of mix and match are perfect

renaut
-11th February 2007, 17:14
Leon Paul is good if you want to fence at a high level but if you are starting out give the premiers a go. Keep at both of them this means you get a good range of fencers to fight. Leon paul will get a good name for yourself and is really good fun. At premiers you get medals in the last eight and in LPJS you get meldals for 1st 2nd and two 3rds but every competitor should usually get a certificate.

Foilling Around
-11th February 2007, 17:39
Speaking of a good name Renaut - watched and refereed you fencing yesterday (even if I can't spell your name right on the entry form) and was very impressed with your technique. Tactics will come with experience, but the technical side was impressive.

Edit - assuming this is who I think it is of course!!

renaut
-11th February 2007, 18:52
Thanks, I think its great when people complement people for their talents. Thanks for organising the competition it was a really good day! and a special well done for the barriers stopping the spectators coming onto the pistes, they really worked. id seen that before at another competition but by the end of the day they had all fallen over and nearly everyone was on the pistes!

Shaka
-11th February 2007, 19:12
I'd like to thank the referee of the U/11 Girls foil 1st round and also his daughter who refereed the direct eliminations, they did a fantastic job in, explaining the process, their presiding and their analysis of each hit in a way that the fencers could understand.

Much Respect also goes to the organisers.

Trebis3
-14th February 2007, 20:21
I would say that i advise that if you are thinking about fencing regularly in competitions, then fence the LPJS. I have done, and i think that they are great opportunities to fence and meet others from outside your club. I know that i have made friends from outside my region because of the series.

I have done one Premier Series (can't remember which one it was years ago), but i do remember thinking that i preferred the LPJS, as i got more fencing on the day.

But, first and foremost, give both a try and see which one you like.