PDA

View Full Version : Keele Open

Inigo Montoya
-8th February 2007, 11:46
Okay, don't direct enquiries at me, I don't fence at Keele. However, I did hear that there is a Keele Open on this year and that you can find out more by e-mailing; keeleopen@hotmail.co.uk

I think it is likely to be 24th Feb Sabre and 25th Feb Epee. I'm interesting in going, along with some others from my club, so I've e-mailed them and am waiting on a reply.

If anyone out there is a Keeley and knows what is happening, shove up some more accurate information :)

Inigo Montoya
-8th February 2007, 15:53
And from the Keele Fencing team
----
We are once again holding the Keele Open for intermediate sabre and epee, being held on the 24th (sabre) & 25th (epee) of February '07.

This is the third year running for the Open and it promotes friendly competitive sportsmanship for all men and women participations over the age of 18.

See attached form for more information, if you are interested please drop us a line, or if you just want to enquire! keeleopen@hotmail.co.uk or 07870502817 (Oliver)

Many thanks

"The Keele Open Team"
----
Unfortunately I can't seem to get the forum to accept the application form as an attachment... Give them an e-mail and they'll send you back the form.

As to the details they mention - it is at the Keele Leisure Centre, is 10:30 (Sabre)/9:30(Epee) sign-in, costs 8 for one weapon, 12 for both. There is more information on accomodation, routes, opportunity to raise money going to charity and also buying photos.

Hope that is all okay - Hope to see some people there :)

Jules
-8th February 2007, 16:10
I'm down for the sabre, but I think I may be the only Notts Uni fencer to be interested...I got this as a student thing but the above post says *all men and women*, anybody know for definate how 'open' it is?

Nick_C
-8th February 2007, 19:56
best bet is to ask the organisers.

I seem to remember that they checked BFA cards OR AU cards, and since it was sent to Universities, i think it was aimed at students, although some fencers were not students, and some fencers were also outside the exclusion criteria (eg the you-cant-fence-if-you're-ranking-in-the-top-100-in-that-weapon criterion).

i think they're probably flexible, as long as they dont get 300 people turning up to fence, and the majority are students.

Inigo Montoya
-9th February 2007, 09:03
They do accept AU OR BFA membership, so it is fully Open apparently. And I'm not uni any more anyway :P

Red
-9th February 2007, 09:08
.....for all men and women participations over the age of 18.

Not an Open. Open's are O13....

Stephen Chivers
-9th February 2007, 09:35
This is the third year running for the Open and it promotes friendly competitive sportsmanship for all men and women participations over the age of 18.The entry form makes no reference to a minimum age of 18 but it is clear that entries made now will be treated as 'late' and be charged at 10 for one weapon, 15 for both.

silvercross
-9th February 2007, 10:51
'Open' in the sense that any intermediate fencer can enter...

Last year they made it so that you had to be outside the top 150 (ish) in the respective weapon to enter.

From what I understand, it does not give 'frequent fencer miles' since fencers without BFA can enter.

Nonetheless, from what i've heard from our fencers at uni, it is quite an enjoyable competition, and gets a decent turnout.

Nick_C
-9th February 2007, 11:31
The entry form makes no reference to a minimum age of 18 but it is clear that entries made now will be treated as 'late' and be charged at 10 for one weapon, 15 for both.

really? but the entry form was only made available yesterday...? was this after the late entry deadline??

Jules
-9th February 2007, 15:18
really? but the entry form was only made available yesterday...?

I got it sent to me from my AU mid january or so, before the 'late entries' date anyhow.

Nick_C
-10th February 2007, 10:21
Ah ok, well they clearly dont like our AU then (just like the WarwickNovices!!). Someone put the entry form up on facebook two/three days ago anyway.

No-one from lufbra's entered. Shame because we entered about 6 peeps last year, and it was quite good (apart from the 2-hour wait for the mayor to turn up to watch the final). Have fun!

MontyBob
-11th February 2007, 20:14
I'm now an ex-keelite, but I went to this thing when it first started and last year.

In its first year it was an intermediate event aimed at fencers who weren't 'novice' but weren't really ready to do opens.

The second time around that criteria seemed to die, and its a free for all on that kind of requirement. As you do get the BFA/AU thing there aren't any ranking points involved (its for the glory).

As I recall, the only thing the AU laid a major slapdown on the first guy to run it was on U18 participation, they flat down said they wouldn't let it be run due to CP reasons if entrants were under-18. So thats why that's there.

If you've got people to go - get in contact's what I reckon.

This probably answers nothing but hey - I just compete.

Nick_C
-26th February 2007, 12:02
any results from the weekend?

silvercross
-26th February 2007, 15:04
any results from the weekend?

Second that!

Mr Clark
-26th February 2007, 18:53
My reporting skills are weak here but ...

mens epee won by Felipe Vincentelli
womens epee won by Catherine Aerts[?]
both from Kent university.

Sorry, best I can do. :whistle:

Jules
-26th February 2007, 22:30
I took the women's sabre - Jules Wooldridge (Notts Uni), 2nd Kate Pearson, 3rd Anila (Keele Uni) 3rd Michelle (Staffs Uni)

Adam Bartley (sp?) (Kent) won men's sabre. 2nd John D (ex-Keele), 3rd Grant (Staffs Uni), 3rd Jerry (Staffs Uni) - sorry I can't remember the surnames!

Very good competition. Highly recommended (lol well seeing the results I would but it was genuinely a really nice friendly comp - many thanks to the organisers!)

MontyBob
-1st March 2007, 14:35
Adam Bartlett (I think) (Kent)
Jon Daley (St Albans)
Jerry Leeper (Staffs)
Grant (Staffs)

I'm not sure about the women's and the epee.

I should be getting the en garde files for the poules (for the sabre at any rate), so anyone wants them give me a shout.

Jules - well done on your final bout. :D

Anyone going to Invicta?

madfencer
-1st March 2007, 14:37
Anyone going to Invicta?

I wasn't at the Keele Open (I just happened to be looking at this thread at the right time) but I will be going to Invicta (if I can get the day off school so that I can get back!). :)

MontyBob
-1st March 2007, 14:39
I wasn't at the Keele Open (I just happened to be looking at this thread at the right time) but I will be going to Invicta (if I can get the day off school so that I can get back!). :)

Which weapon though? I'll be there for sabre, and hoping my mojo comes back.

--scrap that - i just read what it says above your icon. I blame work.