PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing

fencer kid
-11th February 2007, 22:19
In the Leon Paul Junior Series referees are critical but there not always the best because some of them don't really want to referee or they don't have much idea what they are doing.

It is also very dishearting and annoying for a fencer when a ref dosen't make a right decision.

Some examples of bad refereering:
1.The referee ask the fencers' parents what they saw.
2.Mumbling and then don't make a clear decision or no decision at all
3.Constantly making bad decisions because they don't know about the rules of fencing
4.Not paying attention to the bout.

I don't really want to put the referees down especially as they give their time to referee and the good ones do deserve credit but if they are going to spoil the comptetion for the children, so I feel there is no point doing it.

But its not just what I think, what do you think?

Gangsta G
-11th February 2007, 23:19
You will always get the least experienced refs at LPJS because (aside from regional events) they are the lowest level of competition and therefore the best place to start your refereeing career. Refs who constantly make bad calls are annoying - but ultimately it's just because they're not a good ref (or you're not seeing what they are). It's better, though, to have a ref who consistently gets something wrong rather than randomly. If someone is consistent, at least you know where you are with them. Refs who mumble are annoying - and it's not a sign of confidence on their part. But making no decision is surely better than making a wrong one. And refs who ask parents or don't pay attention to the fight - well that really isn't good! How often have you seen that? I certainly never have!

Baldric
-12th February 2007, 02:15
I have been to a fair few LPJS over the years, and generally speaking, the reffing is pretty good.

As a rule, comps in strong fencing areas, or with organisers who have many friends in the fencing community, tend to have better refs than those at the margins. I suppose this is inevitable.

As Gangsta suggests, refs have to start somewhere, and as like as not it will be the U11 of a LPJS or similar. There is a world of difference between reffing in the club, and the first time that you take your life in your hands and offer to ref at a proper comp, with every fencer, coach and parent watching your every call.

Like most fencers/parents, I have had the odd moan about the standard of reffing from time to time. :whistle: However, I strongly suggest that you trying doing it before you moan too much about it.

Gangsta G
-12th February 2007, 10:09
that you take your life in your hands I think that's a very accurate description of refereeing!

kangeroo
-12th February 2007, 10:35
Generally the refs at the lpjs ar very good and help you alot if you know how to charm them!
But at every competition you always get the odd ref with some dodgy calls. If your not happy with refs at foil competitions just take up epee its so much easier, there can't be any dodgy calls!

Unicorn
-12th February 2007, 11:22
i went to sherwood LP and i watched the semi final and the final of the boys U13 and i thought some of the refereeing was interesting... it's normally quite good but i believe hendrie should have won that fight.

kd5mdk
-12th February 2007, 12:04
Generally the refs at the lpjs ar very good and help you alot if you know how to charm them!
But at every competition you always get the odd ref with some dodgy calls. If your not happy with refs at foil competitions just take up epee its so much easier, there can't be any dodgy calls!

How little you know...

Red
-12th February 2007, 12:16
Interesting, I've never seen any 'goog' refereeing at any fencing competition....

UglyBug
-12th February 2007, 20:58
ahhh... refereeing at LPJS.... the happy memories of abuse that parents feel comfortable dishing out indiscriminately because they obviously know best because their precious darling got a light up

and if you're ever in a bar with me, ask me about the piste sit-in some mummies staged at an LPJS event a few years ago

In all seriousness though and with nothing but due respect to the fencers, on the one hand LPJS is often used as a training ground for referees, but it is also a training ground for fencers and while they make think an action is clear as mud, it quite often isn't.

Referees do not grow on trees and also only have 7 days in their week - so I think LPJS fencers would be highly miffed if they had all the top referees at their events, got to open standard and turned up at opens to no referees because they were all at LPJS events...

Duncan Rowlands
-12th February 2007, 21:53
LPJS. As UB said, such fun to ref.

I'm fairly fortunate as the only one I do is the Durham sabre, & the sabre coaches / parents don't give me a hard time. I think the biggest reaction I've had was at the end on a pool a parent come up to me & said, "my son has only ever had 2 cards, and both were from you!"

A nice competition, but I suppose a kiddies sabre event in Durham does have one or two decent sabbies to call on to ref. Always nice wine as well.:thumbs_up

Foilling Around
-12th February 2007, 22:56
i went to sherwood LP and i watched the semi final and the final of the boys U13 and i thought some of the refereeing was interesting... it's normally quite good but i believe hendrie should have won that fight.

The referee concerned was not just picked up out of the gutter, he is a referee examiner for the BFA. I have to admit to not having watched the whole fight carefully, but I did not see glaring blunders. G.Hendrie lost 10:4. It is not as if one or two hits would have made a big difference.

The whole thing it refereed in a relaxed way. If you have FIE referees and enforced everything strictly to the letter of the rules than there would have been red cards galore. Not having a second weapon at the piste; having to be told to shake hands; corp a corp; But most of these are fencers who are still learning to control their bodies and their foils so we are lenient and give friendly warnings.

It does often amaze me how non-fencing and non-refereeing parents seem to be expert judges about whether a referee has got a decision right.

Duncan Rowlands
-12th February 2007, 23:07
No second weapon - yellow. No second body wire - red. Socks not pulled up - red. No plastron - red. Foil spring too light - red. going before the 'fence' (Refusal to obey the Referee) - red. Fight over 5-0, no fencing needed, no dispute over the calls.

If fencers want top level refereeing they can have it. They just better make sure their kit is top level as well!

Unicorn
-13th February 2007, 10:15
The referee concerned was not just picked up out of the gutter, he is a referee examiner for the BFA. I have to admit to not having watched the whole fight carefully, but I did not see glaring blunders. G.Hendrie lost 10:4. It is not as if one or two hits would have made a big difference.

The whole thing it refereed in a relaxed way. If you have FIE referees and enforced everything strictly to the letter of the rules than there would have been red cards galore. Not having a second weapon at the piste; having to be told to shake hands; corp a corp; But most of these are fencers who are still learning to control their bodies and their foils so we are lenient and give friendly warnings.

It does often amaze me how non-fencing and non-refereeing parents seem to be expert judges about whether a referee has got a decision right.
Thanks, good point you made there.

NLSC Sabreur
-13th February 2007, 10:48
Cheer up 'fencer kid' the LPJS is not the only one with questionable refs. Going back all the way to the Camden International a certain semifinal had some calls that were highly, highly surprising. My reffing that day wasn't anything close to perfection but my mistakes were mistakes.

UglyBug
-13th February 2007, 11:54
Cheer up 'fencer kid' the LPJS is not the only one with questionable refs. Going back all the way to the Camden International a certain semifinal had some calls that were highly, highly surprising. My reffing that day wasn't anything close to perfection but my mistakes were mistakes.

Are you implying cheating? If so it is worth bearing in mind that for a referee to actually cheat deliberately, they need to be so good to the extent that they are capable of being right 100% of the time so that when the wrong decision is made it is not a mistake but a choice of the referee. Not many referees in the world let alone the UK are quite this exceptional, therefore, in my opinion which ain't worth much anyway I'm sure, most referees probably aren't in the business of cheating but just sometimes having a bad day.

NLSC Sabreur
-13th February 2007, 13:04
A couple of years ago in the team competition of the Reykjavik coupe du nord in the semi-final I was in (GBR B?) and the final that GBR A were in, from roughly the half way point on 2 lights equalled point to Iceland. That was cheating.

(I think UglyBug I fenced you in the teams. If I recall correctly I was amused that you were somewhat frustrated that every time I just went backwards stuck out my arm and kept getting the light.)

As I have no authority or great expertise in refereeing I can only say that some of the hits in the fight in question were to me and others around me (with greater knowledge than my own) highly, highly surprising. In the one minute break we were discussing if the highly annoyed coach (of the losing fencer) was going to blow his top during the second half.

Baldric
-13th February 2007, 13:40
If so it is worth bearing in mind that for a referee to actually cheat deliberately, they need to be so good to the extent that they are capable of being right 100% of the time so that when the wrong decision is made it is not a mistake but a choice of the referee.

Thats not entirely true. All it takes is to call two lights as a hit for your preferred fencer. You don't have to know what really happened, just make up a phrase that can't be contested.

Having said that, I can only recall a handful of occasions when I thought the ref was biased to the point of out-right cheating, and none of them were in the UK. UK refs may not always be perfect, but they are honest.

UglyBug
-13th February 2007, 13:46
As I said, it's just in my opinion - anyway, in case it wasn't clear, I meant in the context of fencing within the UK.

UglyBug
-13th February 2007, 13:53
Oops - I pressed submit too early.

On the whole Coupe du Nord thing, sorry NLSC sabreur I don't remember the precise Reykjavik tournament in question - I've done that C du N leg more than once. I have heard several stories about the C du Ns.

However, it is sometimes worth bearing in mind that referees in different countries interpret things differently (and completely incorrectly). I do remember fencing a fellow Brit in a C Du N semi-final (Copenhagen or Amsterdam) where the local referees would not give a beat attack going forward because they thought it is only something fencers do to regain priority so - having discovered this to my cost in earlier rounds - I got several hits by giving my opponent my blade while going backwards, letting her hit it, then getting a light up and it would be given to me as my beat attack.

Anyway, my opinion still remains that cheating is a lot more rare than people sometimes think it is.

NLSC Sabreur
-13th February 2007, 14:41
Sweden amongst others concentrates all the effort and funding in fencing towards epee. The reason is cheating by refs is obviously harder in epee. There has as far as I know been a big and to a large degree successful strategy to clamp down on cheating by refs at the international level.

Refereeing is subjective and there is no obvious line between bias and cheating. Many refs will marginally favour giving a hit to someone they know is good just because they expect that person to be getting the hit. If someones footwork before the hit looks neat and tidy, can that have an effect on the decision as both fencers get the light up for the twentieth possible simultaneous clash? If someone has pissed you of previously does that have an effect?

Bias is out there in foil and sabre. I agree clear cheating is rare. Sometimes clearer technique is what you need and to remember you are fencing to the ref's ideas and not your own ideas. Sometimes you need one light.

NLSC Sabreur
-13th February 2007, 14:51
To add

Refereeing in LPJS competitions can be very hard in the pools and in some DE fights. Wobble, wobble, shake, shake, chop, miss, chop, miss, wobble, miss, miss, pause, chop, slap. With a lot of togethers. Quite often there you could give something as a continous action or you could phrase it fourth renewal.

Gangsta G
-14th February 2007, 16:13
All it takes is to call two lights as a hit for your preferred fencer. You don't have to know what really happened, just make up a phrase that can't be contested.Surely this is easier said than done? You can't, for example, say that someone has beat/parried/fallen short when it evidently hasn't happened. In which case the fencer being cheated would be perfectly within their rights to complain to DT.

Refereeing is subjective and there is no obvious line between bias and cheating. Many refs will marginally favour giving a hit to someone they know is good just because they expect that person to be getting the hit. If someones footwork before the hit looks neat and tidy, can that have an effect on the decision as both fencers get the light up for the twentieth possible simultaneous clash? If someone has pissed you of previously does that have an effect?I know this has influenced my refereeing before. Refereeing a team match, I started off thinking that team x was almost definitely going to win. During the match, I gave quite a few marginal attack/counter-attacks in favour of team x. Some of the people supporting team y started making a few sarcastic comments, which annoyed me, so I gave more marginal hits in favour team x! Not something to be proud of, but difficult to avoid at the time, I found. Equally, as NLSC says, there are no points for style in fencing - but there are. If your fencing looks better & nicer, you're much more likely to be given the hit.

Baldric
-14th February 2007, 16:18
Surely this is easier said than done? You can't, for example, say that someone has beat/parried/fallen short when it evidently hasn't happened. In which case the fencer being cheated would be perfectly within their rights to complain to DT.

On what principle could they complain to the DT? If the ref says it was a parry-riposte, then that's a question of fact, and not subject to appeal, even if both fencers and all the spectators agree that it was actually a beat attack.

Gangsta G
-14th February 2007, 16:25
On what principle could they complain to the DT? If the ref says it was a parry-riposte, then that's a question of fact, and not subject to appeal, even if both fencers and all the spectators agree that it was actually a beat attack.That they believe the referee to actully be cheating and biased, as opposed to simply wrong, surely?! Difficult to prove, but in theory, surely...

Baldric
-14th February 2007, 16:30
That they believe the referee to actully be cheating and biased, as opposed to simply wrong, surely?! Difficult to prove, but in theory, surely...

3CT, IHunter, UB, RS or PE would give you chapter and verse, but I think if you went to the DT at most comps, you would need to do some pretty heavy duty complaining just to get the ref observed if your point was solely that the ref was calling a beat attack as a parry-riposte. Mostly I think that the DT would suggest that you run-along-quickly.

I'm not suggesting that this goes on, just that it would be easier that Uglybug was suggesting. It would only take one or two calls made with bias to alter the outcome of a close fight.

Duncan Rowlands
-14th February 2007, 16:40
That they believe the referee to actully be cheating and biased, as opposed to simply wrong, surely?! Difficult to prove, but in theory, surely...

Baldric is correct. There are no grounds of appeal to the DT on a point of fact. What the ref said happened is what happened, no matter how many other people have a different opinion. All it will achieve is a Group 1 card for an Unjustified Appeal.

The DT can watch the ref and after the end of the round choose not the use the ref again, but that's all.

t.37.4 states; "At the end of each round, the delegates of the Refereeing Committee may withdraw a referee whose performance was not satisfactory. However, a referee will not be changed in the course of a bout except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. physical disability of the referee)."

Gangsta G
-14th February 2007, 16:50
I am not suggesting that you can appeal to DT simply because your referee is a bad referee (I know you can't do this). I'm suggesting you could, in theory, (but difficult in practice), appeal to DT if you feel a referee is deliberately cheating. But from what Baldric and others say it seems that even this is difficult to do.

Trebis3
-15th February 2007, 08:04
I think that complaining is just bad sportmanship, because if a referee had made bad decisions agaisnt you in a fight, chances are he/she made bad decisions FOR you in the fight as well. But, you don't complain about that.

Gangsta G
-15th February 2007, 13:35
I think that complaining is just bad sportmanship, because if a referee had made bad decisions agaisnt you in a fight, chances are he/she made bad decisions FOR you in the fight as well. But, you don't complain about that.There have certainly been many times when fencing that I've thought 'oh, bugger!' only to be awarded the hit! It's funny how most fencers only remember when it's the other way round :whistle:

Saxon
-15th February 2007, 14:02
There seem to be a lot of threads around at the moment along the lines of "there was this referee at an event I went to, and he didn't give the hits the way I thought they should have been". Has the standard of refereeing suddenly dropped, or are there a lot of fencers who have just started going to some more major events, and find that although their mates might give them hits, a stranger will actually call hits as he sees them?

Duncan and Baldric are right, as far as I know are correct, and if you really think the referee is deliberately calling things wrongly, you need to be very careful.

1. Don't accuse him of it directly :)
2. Try to keep your query to a rules interpretation, not a disagreement on fact

Baldric
-15th February 2007, 14:19
There seem to be a lot of threads around at the moment along the lines of "there was this referee at an event I went to, and he didn't give the hits the way I thought they should have been". Has the standard of refereeing suddenly dropped, or are there a lot of fencers who have just started going to some more major events, and find that although their mates might give them hits, a stranger will actually call hits as he sees them?

Its just a personal view, but I think the standard of refereeing is improving, although not necessarily at small local comps.

Many of these threads seem to be started by younger members. This could be a) because they weren't on the forum 18 months ago, or whenever we last discussed it or b) as Saxon suggests, they are getting out to bigger comps, and finding that refs interpret the rules more strictly than at the smaller, local stuff.

At the BYC foil this year, I carded one u13 lad for failing weight test(Y), not having a spare(R), and later in the fight for turning (R). He was a bit shell-shocked, and his coach (experienced enough to know better) was outraged. I bet back at the club there was some talk about "that terrible referee". :rolleyes:

Another fencer looked oddly at me when I would only allow one go at a riposte, and when that missed, called the remise against her as touche. She seemed to think that once she had parried, she had right of way in perpetuity.....She hasn't got that view out of thin air - it must have come from coach or clubmates.

Baldric

pinkelephant
-15th February 2007, 16:14
I sometimes wonder whether some coaches (only some!) ever read the rule book at all. The number of times I have heard "but my coach said...". I even had one fencer tell me categorically that I couldn't give her a red card for a second Group 1 offence because it was a different offence from the first one. Presumably she thought she could run through the whole lot without conceding a penalty hit. Her coach then came to quiz me about it! Very recently I had a fencer tell me that if somebody scratched from his pool, everybody got 5-0 victories against them - and KEPT ON arguing about it despite the rather fetching BF blazer I was sporting at the time (thanks John, you did a good job).

UglyBug
-15th February 2007, 16:45
Ah yes - that fetching BF blazer. Was wearing one to referee 2 young girls (somewhere between U13 - U15, can't remember) and it was the final. One girl won quite easily, though lots of 2 lights. Noone argued, off I went to get my cup of tea. Meanwhile, father of losing fencer tootled off to DT to complain about some young girl refereeing a final not knowing what she was doing. As attractive as our blazers are, I suspect people don't know what they represent....

Gangsta G
-15th February 2007, 18:04
b) as Saxon suggests, they are getting out to bigger comps, and finding that refs interpret the rules more strictly than at the smaller, local stuff.

Seeing as this thread refers specifically to LPJS, I doubt that, in this instance, this is the case.

The number of times I have heard "but my coach said...".Perhaps it is sometimes a case of the fencer misunderstanding the coach. I'm fairly sure I have done so in the past, and will do again in the future!

ChiaraMcD
-15th February 2007, 18:21
i agree, and i've been to a lot of lpjs. but they're not all bad! anyway, i was told by someone that the referee is always right even if it's only from they're point of view. you can't disagree with the ref so the only way you can get over it is by getting to a standard where you always get single lights. by then, you'll be so brilliant you won't care if the referee gets a couple of hits wrong! so :nanananan to all bad refs (including me [but i only ref on club nights])

Saxon
-15th February 2007, 21:59
Seeing as this thread refers specifically to LPJS, I doubt that, in this instance, this is the case.
Hmmm
Best kid in club starts LPJS/BYC/Open
Starts dropping hits
Throws strop on forum, blaming referees

There are three or four separate threads on this, I was just wondering why the sudden fad.

Duncan Rowlands
-15th February 2007, 22:05
There are three or four separate threads on this, I was just wondering why the sudden fad.

It's that time of the year (lots of kids' events) for the 'shooting at referees' season?:)

Naughty foilist
-16th February 2007, 07:37
It's that time of the year (lots of kids' events) for the 'shooting at referees' season?:)

Suddenly feel a bit better at bringing my 'armour' into work ready to travel to Stoke this evening.

See you in the bar this evening for my 'orange juice' and I'll be back in me civvies.

pinkelephant
-16th February 2007, 08:12
See you in the bar this evening for my 'orange juice' and I'll be back in me civvies.

Not until he's finished helping set up you won't. Anyone who wants to help set up this evening will be more than welcome, from 8 p.m. onwards. (Pizza provided). We are an armourer and a referee/piste shifter/general good guy down through illness, and we need to lay out tape for 14 pistes in the small hall as well as fit out the large hall.

Naughty foilist
-16th February 2007, 10:00
[quote=pinkelephant](Pizza provided).quote]

OK, bribe accepted. :)

I'll fight my way onto the 18.35 out of Euston and wander down when it gets in.

See you later.

Duncan Rowlands
-16th February 2007, 12:32
Not until he's finished helping set up you won't. Anyone who wants to help set up this evening will be more than welcome, from 8 p.m. onwards. (Pizza provided). We are an armourer and a referee/piste shifter/general good guy down through illness, and we need to lay out tape for 14 pistes in the small hall as well as fit out the large hall.

Well, that's me told! :o:

After my week at work I may need a second orange juice. :whistle:

Australian
-16th February 2007, 13:29
I'll fight my way onto the 18.35 out of Euston and wander down when it gets in.

Depending on when fnork's train gets in we might be on that one too.

Maybe see you.

Lynne
-16th February 2007, 13:58
. . .Meanwhile, father of losing fencer tootled off to DT to complain about some young girl refereeing a final not knowing what she was doing. ....

Make the most of it. :) Soon you'll be "that bl**dy woman"!:whistle:

amobrel
-17th February 2007, 16:43
generally I think the refereeing in the lpjs has been very good, I have been impressed so far :)

1cypriotfencer
-17th February 2007, 16:59
hmmmmmmmmm now. lpsjs reffering...ranting

:rolleyes:

dont go there
:dont:

lpjs referring i feel is good when you dont have the parents of competitor and potential rivals referring you.

mostly it is good though.

(will i get my ass kicked for voting no. only joking

1cypriotfencer
-17th February 2007, 17:00
i have got an excuse for not voting good it says goog joking

Chip
-17th February 2007, 17:45
hmmmmmmmmm now. lpsjs reffering...ranting

dont go there
:dont:

lpjs referring i feel is good when you dont have the parents of competitor and potential rivals referring you.

mostly it is good though.

(will i get my ass kicked for voting no. only joking

Cypriotfencer. I would say and I wish to say this with out offence that the LPJS refs have been fairly tolerant with some of your toy throwing.

1cypriotfencer
-17th February 2007, 18:34
Cypriotfencer. I would say and I wish to say this with out offence that the LPJS refs have been fairly tolerant with some of your toy throwing.

toy throwing ?

Chip
-17th February 2007, 18:46
Toy throwing = Tantrums Unfortunately sometimes when there is a lack of refs at these events there is always a chance you will have to be presided by parents or brothers etc of your opponents ,we had such a scenario at Sherwood ,but he was open about it and gave us the chance to say no ,but they have put themselves into a potential predicament so then to be biased in reffing a bout for the good of their offspring would be sealing their own fate .

Tubby
-17th February 2007, 22:49
Ah yes - that fetching BF blazer. Was wearing one to referee 2 young girls (somewhere between U13 - U15, can't remember) and it was the final. One girl won quite easily, though lots of 2 lights. Noone argued, off I went to get my cup of tea. Meanwhile, father of losing fencer tootled off to DT to complain about some young girl refereeing a final not knowing what she was doing. As attractive as our blazers are, I suspect people don't know what they represent.... Are you talking about the BYC? Somewhere in between U13 and U15 is the U14 final, is this the one you mean? I'm the dad of the losing fencer of the BYC U14 and I did not complain to anyone. Maybe you wear your blazer to other comps and you're not talking about the BYC.

fencer kid
-18th February 2007, 19:25
It was not my intention to offend anyone. I was just making a point that all fencers should be treated the same and that good refeering should reflect this. There are many outstanding and professional referees and I thank them for giving thier time and knowlege.

fencer kid
-18th February 2007, 19:41
It was not my intention to offend anyone. I was just making a point that all fencers should be treated the same and that good refeering should reflect this. There are many outstanding and professional referees and I thank them for giving thier time and knowlege.

It seems that it not that BAD because its a hot thread and had the most replies in the lpjs. I forgot to add that I am sorry to the referees that I have upset and I did not want to moan just hear other peoples opions and state my own and i am thankful because I fence in the lpjs my self

pinkelephant
-18th February 2007, 20:10
Are you talking about the BYC? Somewhere in between U13 and U15 is the U14 final, is this the one you mean? I'm the dad of the losing fencer of the BYC U14 and I did not complain to anyone. Maybe you wear your blazer to other comps and you're not talking about the BYC.

Uglybug is a sabre/epee referee.

Foilling Around
-18th February 2007, 20:24
Ok, take a good look at the referee, does he/she look confident. Now as soon as there is anything doubtful get him/her in your sight and ....... fire!!!

No referee is perfect. I have DVD evidence of some FIE qualified referees who have made mistakes when I review the footage.

I have to admit that even I might have made to occassional mistake!! I dislike refereeing my own fencers (and will not referee my own offspring) because I tend too be too harsh on them. I am so conscious of being fair that I sometimes suspect that I lean towards the opponent!!

Since the TA trip to Paris we have had an influx of young cadet member of the forum. I think that is fantastic. The problem is that some of them will take time to bed in to what goes down well on the forum and what does not.

The other problem is that anonimity means that many long term forumites do not know who the newer members are.

They may not be made too subtly but the refereeing problem is one which has been brought up many times in different guises. There is no solution we just have to make the best of it.

Gangsta G
-18th February 2007, 20:36
I dislike refereeing my own fencers (and will not referee my own offspring) because I tend too be too harsh on them. I am so conscious of being fair that I sometimes suspect that I lean towards the opponent!!For this reason I flatly refuse to referee little bro in competitions!

One of my hardest refereeing jobs ever, on my gap year I arranged a match between the school I was working at & bro's school - so on one side, I had my boys, wanting them to do well, and on the other, bro, wanting him to do well!

Tubby
-18th February 2007, 22:02
Uglybug is a sabre/epee referee.There are parent problems in other weapons :eek: too, surely not?

Thanks for the clarification.

pinkelephant
-18th February 2007, 22:16
There are parent problems in other weapons :eek: too, surely not?

Thanks for the clarification.

Actually, not nearly as many.

The point was that it couldn't have been the BYC as Uglybug wasn't there.

Lynne
-19th February 2007, 08:08
To the anonymous person who repped my comment to Uglybug - the comment referred to the fact that she was referred to as a "young girl", not about the complaint about her reffing.

Had you signed your rep, I could have PM'd you, rather than clutter up the thread.

madfencer
-19th February 2007, 10:34
I have no experience of the LPJS or Premier Series so I can't really vote on or comment on this thread. I have noticed however that recently there have been a lot of posts about the standard of referees and I myself think they are doing a great job from the competitions that I have been to recently (Plymouth Open, Merseyside Open and BYCs Epee and Sabre).

1cypriotfencer
-19th February 2007, 11:25
at the moft i was fencing lindsay watkiss and we had no timer so our match in the pools went on for over 10 mins. I won 5-4 though.

Duncan Rowlands
-19th February 2007, 14:26
at the moft i was fencing lindsay watkiss and we had no timer so our match in the pools went on for over 10 mins. I won 5-4 though.

And none of you thought to go to the organisers and ask for a stop watch? :eek:

Trebis3
-22nd April 2007, 11:25
Sometimes it can be quite intimidating to go and ask for something from the DT if you don't know them.

Duncan Rowlands
-22nd April 2007, 11:32
Sometimes it can be quite intimidating to go and ask for something from the DT if you don't know them.

No DT is going to bite your head off for asking for a stop watch.

Saxon
-22nd April 2007, 21:34

Except at the Winton.
Don't forget to take your own with you, or you will face the Wrath Of Lynne.

Duncan Rowlands
-22nd April 2007, 21:40
Except at the Winton.

My refs (PinkElephant & 3CT) will have their own cards, weights, gauges, & stopwatch.

gbm
-22nd April 2007, 21:52
My local Tesco's was selling stopwatches on sale on Friday with nice clunky buttons for 3.87 each (or something like that anyway). I picked up 5 to add to my stock (I've got about 5/6 more but they are cheap ones with the overly sensitive non-clunky buttons which annoy me!) :thumbs_up

Foilling Around
-22nd April 2007, 22:22

Na! couldn't have been 10 mins or Lindsay would have been a melted mound of blubber on the floor!!!

pinkelephant
-23rd April 2007, 08:07
My refs (PinkElephant & 3CT) will have their own cards, weights, gauges, & stopwatch.

But have we got a team yet or will you need us to fence? :whistle:

Lynne
-23rd April 2007, 08:17

Except at the Winton.

I don't bite off heads! They give me indigestion! :whistle:

Na! couldn't have been 10 mins or Lindsay would have been a melted mound of blubber on the floor!!!

No nasty comments about my favourite fencer!:dont:

Duncan Rowlands
-23rd April 2007, 16:25
But have we got a team yet or will you need us to fence? :whistle:

We'll have a team. I may be shaving close & calling myself Susan but we'll have a team!

pinkelephant
-23rd April 2007, 22:59
I always knew there was something dodgy about you. Does JT need to lend you his little black number?:grin:

D'Artignan
-24th April 2007, 10:11
We'll have a team. I may be shaving close & calling myself Susan but we'll have a team!Typical weekend activity for a male sabbie is it not?:whistle: :nanananan